The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 11-11-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
trivia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts
As darkness converges on their escalating conflict, the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide – unite or be destroyed. ... As darkness converges, the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide – unite of [sic] be destroyed.
and...

Quote:
I am certain that this needed to be a trilogy but I still found it rewarding.
The second half of this statement would be more consistent with "I am NOT certain..."?

Last edited by VideoGrabber; 11-11-2015 at 03:58 PM. Reason: attribution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 11-11-2015, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
trivia...

and...

The second half of this statement would be more consistent with "I am NOT certain..."?
Greetings,

Thanks much for pointing these out. Corrected..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #33 of 38 Old 11-12-2015, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
What people have to remember when comparing The Hobbit trilogy to the LOTR trilogy is that no matter what they did, it was never going to be as good as the LOTR for several reasons.

1) The Hobbit is a much "lighter weight" book as Tolkien originally wrote it as a children's adventure story to talk about dwarves and elves and the rest of the world he was creating when he had not yet fully formed the ideas that would become the LOTR saga. The content was never going to adapt to something as sweeping, deep and emotionally charged as LOTR.

2) The movies were released after LOTR and had to compete with them. Fans had waited so long for a film adaptation of LOTR, and were so worried if it would be done well, that when that first trilogy was a success, The Hobbit films had a tremendous bar to live up to and could never reach that. In fact, that is exactly why Jackson refused to make The Hobbit films when fans clamored for them after LOTR.

I will grant that the length of The Hobbit book did not warrant three movies, but unfortunately that is the result, I think of studio pressure because everything today needs to be a "blockbuster trilogy". While I did not enjoy The Hobbit trilogy as much as the LOTR trilogy, I am still very glad to have this story on film and be able to spend some more time in that world.
I completely agree with this statement. Well said. I will also add that there were a couple of issues during pre-production and production that were important to the outcome of the final product. Guillermo del Toro stepped out of directing right just before everything was ready to start. PJ wasn't as ready to take the director chair as he was with LOTR. He spent many, many months preparing everything for LOTR. Then through the middle of filming he got really sick and they could not move to location as much as with the original trilogy which is something that elevated the quality of the originals by a lot in my opinion. It disturbed me that they didn't used the beautiful locations of New Zealand as much as they did in the LOTR. I believe that everything was rushed to the detriment of the final product. Still, am a huge fan of Tolkien books and of Peter Jackson. The Hobbit trilogy was not on par with LOTR trilogy, but I still love it. Besides, the bar was set very very high, I mean, the LOTR movies are not only the best fantasy movies ever made, but of the best movies ever made, period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 11-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
What people have to remember when comparing The Hobbit trilogy to the LOTR trilogy is that no matter what they did, it was never going to be as good as the LOTR for several reasons.

1) The Hobbit is a much "lighter weight" book as Tolkien originally wrote it as a children's adventure story to talk about dwarves and elves and the rest of the world he was creating when he had not yet fully formed the ideas that would become the LOTR saga. The content was never going to adapt to something as sweeping, deep and emotionally charged as LOTR.

2) The movies were released after LOTR and had to compete with them. Fans had waited so long for a film adaptation of LOTR, and were so worried if it would be done well, that when that first trilogy was a success, The Hobbit films had a tremendous bar to live up to and could never reach that. In fact, that is exactly why Jackson refused to make The Hobbit films when fans clamored for them after LOTR.

I will grant that the length of The Hobbit book did not warrant three movies, but unfortunately that is the result, I think of studio pressure because everything today needs to be a "blockbuster trilogy". While I did not enjoy The Hobbit trilogy as much as the LOTR trilogy, I am still very glad to have this story on film and be able to spend some more time in that world.
LOL! The Wizard of Oz book was even lighter-weight than the Hobbit novel. Yet the Wizard of Oz film became an absolute masterpiece. That's because the screen writers, director and actors actually did a good job. Try making better excuses.
post #35 of 38 Old 11-13-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
LOL! The Wizard of Oz book was even lighter-weight than the Hobbit novel. Yet the Wizard of Oz film became an absolute masterpiece. That's because the screen writers, director and actors actually did a good job. Try making better excuses.
To be totally fair; the Wizard of Oz wasn't competing against itself either. If the Hobbit had been released first, I'd be willing to bet it would have been received with a little better praise. If Oz would have been the successor to a movie considerably greater than itself, in regards to screen writing, etc; I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been nearly as memorable.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #36 of 38 Old 11-19-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Just came across this...

post #37 of 38 Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I finished watching this movie last night and really enjoyed it. The 3D was quite good and it is one of the better ones that I have seen lately. The audio is good but I feel like the bottom end was weak. Although the narrative doesn't changed with the additional footage, but it really enhance the presentation.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #38 of 38 Old 11-27-2015, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hobbit, The: Motion Picture Trilogy 3D [Bluray + Ultra-Violet] (Amazon Exclusive) [Bl

I should be receiving this long-awaited release today. Is AVS going to review this Amazon Exclusive?
The Bluray 3D with Extended scenes is really intriguing to say the least!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page