The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 11-08-2015, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 6274
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this Extended Edition Blu-ray release that brings to an epic conclusion the adventure of Bilbo Baggins, Thorin Oakenshield and the Dwarves of Erebor that have reclaimed the vast wealth of their homeland, but now must face the consequences of having unleashed the terrifying Dragon, Smaug, upon the defenseless men, women and children of Lake-town.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 164 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Ian McKellan, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, James Nesbitt, Ken Stott, Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lily, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Kate Blancett, Hugo Weaving
Directed by: Peter Jackson
Music by: Howard Shore
Written by: Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens, Peter Jackson , Guillermo Del Toro
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 17, 2015

"The epic conclusion to ‘The Hobbit’ Trilogy"

My Take:

I reviewed The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies when it was released on Blu-ray in March. I will include my comments from that review and add my thoughts on the newly integrated footage.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies brings to an epic conclusion the adventure of Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman), Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) and the Company of Dwarves. The Dwarves of Erebor have reclaimed the vast wealth of their homeland, but now must face the consequences of having unleashed the terrifying Dragon, Smaug, upon the defenseless men, women and children of Lake-town.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is the final chapter in Peter Jackson’s new epic trilogy set in Middle-Earth 60 years before J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings saga. Beginning with Bilbo Baggins who at the request of the wizard Gandalf the Grey, joins a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield, soon finds himself entangled in a quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug.

Their journey will take them through treacherous lands swarming with Trolls, Goblins, Orcs and deadly Wargs. They must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature Gollum who he will unwittingly be forever tied to. Alone with Gollum on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo not only discovers guile and courage that surprise him, he also gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities, tied to the fate of all Middle-Earth.

Their flight leads them to several encounters beginning with Beorn, the skin-changer, The Elven realm of Mirkwood led by King Thrainduil who has a deeper understanding of the foreboding evil that threatens Middle-Earth and the Men of the fishing village of the Lake-town of Esgaroth which sits at the base of the Lonely Mountain. Their plan is to utilize the talents of their “burglar” to recover the Arkenstone out from under the sleeping dragon Smaug. In the Meanwhile Gandalf investigates the portending darkness emanating from the Dol Gudur ruins to south. All the while the group is being actively pursued by a pack of Orcs led by Azog The Defiler whose hatred for Thorin is fueled by a vengeful thirst that is eons old.

What lies in wait in the bowels of the mountain amidst the vast horde of riches is the most imposing, vile and bloodthirsty villain to pose a threat to Middle-Earth in ages. Awakened, angered and bent of vengeance Smaug descends upon the unsuspecting and unprepared inhabitants of Esgaroth as the impending evil prepares to reveal its true identity and purpose.

In the meanwhile having reclaimed the vast wealth of their homeland the Dwarves of Erebor and Bilbo come face to face with an unexpected peril. As he succumbs to dragon-sickness, the King Under the Mountain, Thorin Oakenshield, sacrifices friendship and honor in search for the legendary Arkenstone. Unable to help Thorin see reason, Bilbo is driven to make a desperate and dangerous choice, not knowing that even greater perils lie ahead. An ancient enemy has returned to Middle-earth. Sauron, the Dark Lord, has sent forth legions of Orcs in a stealth attack upon the Lonely Mountain.

As darkness converges on their escalating conflict, the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide – unite or be destroyed. Bilbo finds himself fighting for his life and the lives of his friends as five great armies go to war.

As with each installment of The Hobbit trilogy I saw The Battle of the Five Armies in the theater with my daughter Having been left on the cliffhanger that was The Desolation of Smaug I was all in to see where things would shake out to close the story. I thoroughly enjoyed it and reveled in the action, drama and epic nature of the telling. I am not certain that this needed to be a trilogy but I still found it rewarding. The pacing in the last two installments versus An unexpected journey was smoother and I found myself engrossed in the plot, and the characters both old and new. The building storyline includes snippets of humor, engaging banter and typically entertaining elements of adventure as it steams toward a rewarding final act. Some have complained about the addition of certain plot points such as the Tauriel/Killi subplot but I had no problem with it.

This extended cut of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies includes 20 minutes of extra film footage that extends individual scenes. The sequence that contains the bulk of the additional material occur during the battle in the third act, with smaller extensions of scenes, such as those that take place during the encounter in Dol Gudur and within the Lonely Mountain. Predominantly speaking I didn't find that the additional scenes enhanced the narrative as it stood however I really liked an added scene that showed Thorin, Kili and Fili lying in state while everyone mourned them. Following this scene is another add on showing the crowning of Thorin's replacement, Dain. For those that wondered what became of Alfrid, after Bard let him go (dressed as a woman) with his bosom full of gold, there is an added sequence where you find out. I wouldn't say that the extended edition needed to be 20 minutes longer but a few of the additional elements proved enriching.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies comes together with ties to the events that will transpire in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. While this series doesn’t have the depth, emotion and superlative scope of those films there is still much for fans of Middle Earth to feed on. As a fan I enjoy these films and appreciate director Peter Jackson’s attention to detail and handling of the production design/elements and casting choices. It has been a fun ride and I am pleased to place The Hobbit alongside The Lord of the Rings in my video library.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition will be available as a 3-disc Blu-ray set ($35.99 SRP); and a 5-disc DVD set ($34.99 SRP). The Blu-ray and DVD include a digital version of the movie on Digital HD with UltraViolet. Fans can also own “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies” via purchase from digital retailers.

The nine plus hours of new special features boasts audio commentary with Peter Jackson, the film’s director/producer/screenwriter, and Philippa Boyens, co-producer/screenwriter, as well as The Appendices, a multi-part documentary focusing on various aspects of the film and the Trilogy.

The Hobbit Trilogy Extended Edition will be available as a 9-disc Blu-ray set ($99.98 SRP); and a 15-disc DVD set ($78.92 SRP). The Blu-ray and DVD Trilogy sets include digital versions of the movies on Digital HD with UltraViolet. Fans can also own The Hobbit Trilogy Extended Edition via purchase from digital retailers.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, and frightening images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a varied color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The nature of the photography isn’t lent to high gloss imagery and razor sharpness however there is an enriching and film like quality that abounds. High definition’s increased resolution is readily apparent as textural nuance and subtle refinement is apparent, especially during close-ups. Wide angle vistas views tend to look gorgeous more often than not but can be limited by the film’s post production effects. The color range is comprised of earth tones, shades of dark blue, brown, gray and black with splashes of crimson and green/blue hues. Like the color palette fleshtones shift accordingly to coincide with the mood, lighting and scenic theme. The overall result works perfectly within the film’s narrative construct. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is boldly applied which empowers whites and grays with minimal loss of detail. Blacks are dynamic and gradationally revealing and shadow detail is equally discerning. The film’s deep grays, rich contrast and stimulating visual aura makes for a perfect companion to the story‘s elements. The use of CGI/green screens and photographic effects innately softens some elements but doesn’t detract in my opinion. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous noise. The result is a gorgeous high definition rendering that mimics that theatrical presentation.

I enjoyed the audio presentation in the theater and looked forward to hearing it in the familiar confines of my theater room. The 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix treated me to an impeccably detailed and rewarding listening experience. Dialogue is supremely articulated with excellent focus, clarity and descriptive intonation. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose is definable yet not overstated. The mix makes effective use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage as it reproduces the spatial and discrete sounds contained in soundtrack. The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a seamless transference during sequences involving sounds that travel through the room. The opening sequence sounds terrific as Smaug swoops back and forth, spewing fire upon the village below. Listening later to the rotation of voices throughout the soundstage, as Thorin battles the torment of the dragon-sickness, is effective and pretty cool.

As with the last two installments on Blu-ray bass response remains in the upper LFE registers with occasional dips that engage the room. The battle/rescue at the ruins has a few moments that bring everything together as does the extended series of engagements during the final act. Low frequency effects are palpably reproduced with respect to points of contact during battle and large scale proportional events/elements. I couldn’t say with absolute certainty that there has been filtering applied to the LFE channel but the lack of extended low frequency response is notable. That shouldn’t be taken to mean that the soundtrack has anemic bass quality as there is ample punch to the low end however given the nature of the source material it doesn’t descend into the infrasonic depths that bass lovers clamor for.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies EE[/b]
  • Audio commentary with Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens
  • (HD) New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth: Part 3 – 6 minutes
    Discs 2 & 3:(HD) The Appendices Parts 11 and 12 (9 hours 50 minutes)[/b]
  • In the Dungeon of the Necromancer
  • Fire and Water
  • Under the Shadow of the Mountain
  • In the Wake of the Dragon
  • The Gathering of the Clouds
  • Many Partings
  • The Clouds Burst
  • A Last Desperate Stand
  • Out From the Gate
  • The Last Stage
  • Beneath the Thunder: Forging a Battle of Five Armies
  • The People and Denizens of Middle-earth
  • Realms of the Third Age: From the City of Dale to the Halls of Erebor
  • Farewell Friends!
  • Bonus Features (3 segments)
  • Andrew Lesnie Remembered
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies brings a close to Peter Jackson’s new epic trilogy set in Middle-Earth 60 years before J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings saga. To sum up my feelings on the film both in its original form as well as this new Extended Edition, it would be fair to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, reveling in its epic scope, familiarity and Peter Jackson’s flair for storytelling. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition comes to Blu-ray featuring superlative and faithfully rendered high definition audio/video and a bountiful supplemental set that will give fans their fill. Warner Brothers Home Entertainment has delivered a terrific Blu-ray offering that delivers an enriching home theater experience. Should you already own the original Blu-ray release, the decision to upgrade will depend largely on how important the large supplemental package is to you, as the majority of the additional footage does little to bolster the already solid theatrical version. I suspect that diehard fans will want to pick this up, so for them, I say go ahead and enjoy.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 11-11-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-08-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Finally, the last one. ...But it has to be in 3D for that additional twenty minutes. ...Best trilogy since TLOTREE.
post #3 of 38 Old 11-08-2015, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The extended edition is actually rated R for "Some Violence".

http://filmratings.com/search.html?f...armies&x=0&y=0
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 11-08-2015, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post

Greetings,

Absolutely. Thanks for catching that Wayne. It reads correctly now..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 38 Old 11-08-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Like many others, I refused to participate in the studio's money grab game of a an initial release of the theater version followed many months later by the extended edition. It's a disturbing trend but the way to beat it is to pass on the first release and wait. That being said, I will buy the extended edition when it comes out. Five Armies was a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and worth having.
Phrehdd likes this.
post #6 of 38 Old 11-08-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Great review Ralph! I did not buy the previous release as I was waiting for the extended version. Now can't wait to have it.
If you are a Beatles fan I will recommend the new release of the One, which includes the videos remastered in 4K and DTS HD MA.
Ralph Potts, Dave Vaughn and Djoel like this.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #7 of 38 Old 11-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Ralph, thanks for the heads up. I admit I waited for LOTR extended versions and the same for this trilogy. This will be my dip once purchase as I have waited patiently. (Lucky for me I don't/can't watch 3D movies so the fix is in.)
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 38 Old 11-08-2015, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Disappointed that there's no Atmos track. Also, how did the Blu-Ray deal with the high framerate of the original movie? Was it scaled down to 24Hz or up to 60Hz? I've not bought any of the extended edition Hobbit films, nor have I seen them and I am inclined to just wait for the UHD discs with Atmos tracks before I revisit the series. It'll be fun to listen to them in my home theater with a superior sound experience from what I was able to get in our local theaters when the movies were released.

Maybe they'll do a 10 disc all 6 movies (extended edition) for $150 in UHD/Atmos or something like that....
post #9 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kressilac View Post
Maybe they'll do a 10 disc all 6 movies (extended edition) for $150 in UHD/Atmos or something like that....
In 2D yes. ...And perhaps with DTS:X (DTS-HD MA 7.1 core audio - already here).

* Resolution: 1080p/24
post #10 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kressilac View Post
Disappointed that there's no Atmos track. Also, how did the Blu-Ray deal with the high framerate of the original movie? Was it scaled down to 24Hz or up to 60Hz? I've not bought any of the extended edition Hobbit films, nor have I seen them and I am inclined to just wait for the UHD discs with Atmos tracks before I revisit the series. It'll be fun to listen to them in my home theater with a superior sound experience from what I was able to get in our local theaters when the movies were released.

I do hope so as well and I have heard that it might be 60Hz. Not 100% sure
post #11 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
I have not seen any of the Hobbit movies, regular or extended...I've been waiting for the extended cuts. So I pre-ordered the extended trilogy from Amazon and it will be here on the 17th. Looking forward to (finally) watching the Hobbit movies.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Nabs17
post #12 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 546
I would sum up the Hobbit trilogy as LOTR with more action sequences and CGI, but less emotional depth.
shivaji, MuaySteve and New24K like this.
post #13 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I would sum up the Hobbit trilogy as LOTR with more action sequences and CGI, but less emotional depth.
I would strongly disagree. The hobbit series was a huge disappointment. I would say it's close to Starwars 4-6 vs 1-3. Hobbit is horribly cheesy, bad acting and there just isn't enough material to cover 3 movies. I went to the premier of the first hobbit movie, rented the 2nd and third ones. I'm not exactly sure why I even bothered with the 2nd and third since the first was so bad, but the 2nd one was slightly better than the first and third. I've watched the LOTR extended editions several times. I think somebody would have to pay me to watch the hobbit series again.
dtsdig, shivaji, Shniks and 1 others like this.
post #14 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I think $100 for the ext hobbit is a bit much since you really only get maybe an hour total for the 3 movies. Now LOTR EE set was worth the $50 sale price when besy buy had it when the five armies came out the first time on disc. Movie was it feelz like you get your moneys worth with the LOTR set since its like 10 hours of total movie time.
post #15 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Absolutely. Thanks for catching that Wayne. It reads correctly now..

Regards,
Thx WayneJoy for posting.
As a parent of 3 children, ages 9/11/13 now, I've "stretched" the PG-13 ratings and we've watched many movies as a family, including of course these and LOTR.
Going from PG-13 to R for the 20 minutes of added material deserved a R for what ... More violence?

R is a deal breaker for me 99.9% of time for my kids, and possibly others.

I've only watched "Lucy" with my 13 year old daughter, and that was after consolation with other AVS people here
Got me curious so during lunch did some imdb searches.

Ralph - since you saw it were there some clear PG-13 > R "things" in the 20 minutes?
My brother inlaw is getting this and initially my thought was after Thanksgiving supper some of us would go into the HT and watch this... now I'm thinking to cancel that idea.
>>My kids love all 6 movies, so telling them not to watch it is not an option

From The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) imdb
Quote:
Motion Picture Rating (MPAA)
Rated PG-13 for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, and frightening images
Quote:
Sex & Nudity
EditHistory
0/10

There is no sex or nudity in the film.

Violence & Gore
EditHistory
7/10

Red=extreme (Borderline R rated content) Orange=caution (Higher PG-13 content) Blue=moderate (Medium or lower PG-13 content)

The opening sequence is of a large scary dragon attacking a town with fire. Buildings burn down, many people get torched. Some are seen falling out of windows. This entire sequence is very intense but as usual not gory.

The start of the battle goes as the following:

Slashing, stabbing, spearing, firing arrows

An orc is briefly decapitated by a dwarf, and a small amount of blood mist floats from its neck (this scene is a split second, but it's clear what happens).

A large troll is peppered with arrows before it falls dead. No blood is present.

Dozens of orcs kill people in a village in a fast-paced battle scene between men and orcs.

A dozen dead bodies are shown lying in the snow in a village. The snow is splattered with blood.

Hundreds of men, orcs, goblins, elves and dwarves are killed in the first minute of the opening battle scene. They all are slashed and stabbed and hacked to death with stylized swordplay violence. Some of these deaths are more dramatic, and are accompanied by minimal blood

Profanity
EditHistory
1/10

One use of bastard, two uses of bugger, one use of hell and one utterance of "sod off".

Some name calling, such as "piece of filth" and others occur.

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
EditHistory
1.5/10

Gandalf can be seen smoking his pipe and preparing to smoke it (packing tobacco into the bowl).

Wine is consumed in a couple of scenes

Frightening/Intense Scenes
EditHistory
8/10

Peter Jackson stated this would be the darkest of all films in the Hobbit trilogy, leading up to the dark tone of Lord of the Rings.

Being the final installment, it is very emotional throughout.

There is a confrontation early on in the film between a few characters and one omnipotent being. A powerful character changes their personality, voice and appearance to seem empowering and intimidating is featured during this confrontation. This transition is very sudden and does look very scary at first. This character has appeared in The Lord of the Rings using this power. Young audiences may be spooked out by this, however this only lasts for about 30 seconds.

Smaug the dragon could be seen as quite scary by young audiences.

A character changes mentally throughout, becoming quite intimidating and does shout and rage to a few characters, very young audiences may get scared by this, as this character is good and heroic in the previous entries.

Two war animals are killed by Orcs during the final battle: one gets shot with arrows, the other gets thrust with multiple spears. This will be emotional for any animal lover, as they are briefly upsetting.

which could be upsetting for young children

Extended Cut: Rated R for some violence.

19/50 - 11+
post #16 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Thx WayneJoy for posting.
As a parent of 3 children, ages 9/11/13 now, I've "stretched" the PG-13 ratings and we've watched many movies as a family, including of course these and LOTR.
Going from PG-13 to R for the 20 minutes of added material deserved a R for what ... More violence?

R is a deal breaker for me 99.9% of time for my kids, and possibly others.

I've only watched "Lucy" with my 13 year old daughter, and that was after consolation with other AVS people here
Got me curious so during lunch did some imdb searches.

Ralph - since you saw it were there some clear PG-13 > R "things" in the 20 minutes?
My brother inlaw is getting this and initially my thought was after Thanksgiving supper some of us would go into the HT and watch this... now I'm thinking to cancel that idea.
>>My kids love all 6 movies, so telling them not to watch it is not an option

From The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) imdb

Greetings,

Mike, if you've watched other films in the Hobbit/LOTR series with them then this will be fine. Nothing struck me as being well above the tolerance we would expect and have seen from these films. I think you're okay, even with your 9 year old.

Regards,
mtbdudex likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #17 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Too bad the story line and acting were no where near the quality of the video and audio of the blu ray.
post #18 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 132
What people have to remember when comparing The Hobbit trilogy to the LOTR trilogy is that no matter what they did, it was never going to be as good as the LOTR for several reasons.

1) The Hobbit is a much "lighter weight" book as Tolkien originally wrote it as a children's adventure story to talk about dwarves and elves and the rest of the world he was creating when he had not yet fully formed the ideas that would become the LOTR saga. The content was never going to adapt to something as sweeping, deep and emotionally charged as LOTR.

2) The movies were released after LOTR and had to compete with them. Fans had waited so long for a film adaptation of LOTR, and were so worried if it would be done well, that when that first trilogy was a success, The Hobbit films had a tremendous bar to live up to and could never reach that. In fact, that is exactly why Jackson refused to make The Hobbit films when fans clamored for them after LOTR.

I will grant that the length of The Hobbit book did not warrant three movies, but unfortunately that is the result, I think of studio pressure because everything today needs to be a "blockbuster trilogy". While I did not enjoy The Hobbit trilogy as much as the LOTR trilogy, I am still very glad to have this story on film and be able to spend some more time in that world.
post #19 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Unfortunately, to get the 3D Extended Edition you have to pay twice as much- advance 2D ~$28 advance 3D ~$50.

As for high frame rate, none of the films have been released in 48 or 60 hz and I don't believe it's planned. It's not standard for 48hz, and I don't think you would get the same effect at 60hz. UHD may change that for 2D but unless I'm mistaken 3D remains 1080p 24hz like the HDMI 1.4 spec (would love someone to tell me this is wrong)
post #20 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If we ever get a HFR home release it will be on UHD.
billqs likes this.
post #21 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 765
More of more...

Sometimes less is more. I'll stick with watching the excellent fanedits instead of these monstrosities.
New24K likes this.

Looky here!
post #22 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 04:04 PM

I'm reading this short thread, so far, listening to member's comments, ...The Hobbit trilogy versus LOTR trilogy, both in their extended editions.

For me it's a complete saga of the entire six films together. What's fantastic about 'The Hobbit' triology (EE or theatrical); it's in 3D.
Ralph's review for this third extended edition installment, is for the 2D version.

For me, the 3D of The Hobbit makes it a superior experience @ the movies. It engulfs me deeper inside the story and all the various and marvelous adventures.

In 2D I prefer LOTR trilogy; the music score I love immensely, the tension, decors, costumes, acting, intensity of the battles, frame compositions, CGI effets, sound effects, ...everything is pure highest class of them all. The only missing element, and I don't blame time, is 3D. But it is not truly a missing element because we were living with the technologies of the time.

It just happened that it was an extremely fortunate time to have 'The Hobbit' trilogy in 3D. It elevates it to the same level as LOTR in 2D.
...That's how deep I feel about it, experiencing it all. It's an entire great Hexalogy (6), the two trilogies together as a complete ensemble.

I'm getting this new extended edition, in 3D. And I'm all set, theatrically, and @ home more extended.
This is grandiose cinema here, fortissimo, of the highest caliber. We simply cannot take that away, from one to six from six to one.
Here we have the battles ...

Is that cinema or not! ...You betcha it is!
Pixel Dude likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 11-09-2015 at 04:16 PM.
post #23 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Amazon has both the Hobbit EE and LOTR EE on Blu-Ray for $112 combined.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lord-Rings...HT2SQFQHNTHK09
post #24 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I'm reading this short thread, so far, listening to member's comments, ...The Hobbit trilogy versus LOTR trilogy, both in their extended editions.

For me it's a complete saga of the entire six films together. What's fantastic about 'The Hobbit' triology (EE or theatrical); it's in 3D.
Ralph's review for this third extended edition installment, is for the 2D version.

For me, the 3D of The Hobbit makes it a superior experience @ the movies. It engulfs me deeper inside the story and all the various and marvelous adventures.

In 2D I prefer LOTR trilogy; the music score I love immensely, the tension, decors, costumes, acting, intensity of the battles, frame compositions, CGI effets, sound effects, ...everything is pure highest class of them all. The only missing element, and I don't blame time, is 3D. But it is not truly a missing element because we were living with the technologies of the time.

It just happened that it was an extremely fortunate time to have 'The Hobbit' trilogy in 3D. It elevates it to the same level as LOTR in 2D.
...That's how deep I feel about it, experiencing it all. It's an entire great Hexalogy (6), the two trilogies together as a complete ensemble.

I'm getting this new extended edition, in 3D. And I'm all set, theatrically, and @ home more extended.
This is grandiose cinema here, fortissimo, of the highest caliber. We simply cannot take that away, from one to six from six to one.
Here we have the battles ...

Is that cinema or not! ...You betcha it is!
I never thought the hobbit was that great compared to the LOTR. Its way too much visuals, elaborated scenes based on passages from the single book. Now if Peter Jackson wants to come out with three films against the much more involved "The Silmarillion" that will motivate me to consider that he's outdone the LOTR. IMHO the first two parts of the hobbit were better then the third, but battle of the 5 armies just seemed to be a rehash of can I create a even better battle then the Return of the King. 3D or not, J. R. Tokens world involves interesting characters, locations, faith, love, and courage some of that concepts just seem to have gotten lost from the 5 armies.

Oppo Beta Group
post #25 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 05:40 PM

Hey John, extremely valid take on this third installment of 'The Hobbit', even if I don't disagree 100%.

Still beats 'Spectre'...I think. ;-)
post #26 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Hey John, extremely valid take on this third installment of 'The Hobbit', even if I don't disagree 100%.

Still beats 'Spectre'...I think. ;-)
I reserve judgement on that until its issued on BD.

Enjoy the 5 army's its a marathon of visuals to take in.

Oppo Beta Group
post #27 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 238
While I enjoyed bits and parts of the Hobbit trilogy, I was greatly disappointed overall. These new movies should not have been a trilogy, they should have been two movies at most. You could really see the stretch marks in how they belabored certain scenes and extended them unnecessarily, especially in the first movie. Making this a trilogy was pure unadulterated greed from Warners and it really sacrificed the beautiful art and narrative of Tolkien's book and wasted and tarnished Jackson's directorial legacy.

The only shining positive to come out of the Hobbit trilogy was Cumberbatch as Smaug. His voice and the CGI to render the dragon was truly awe-inspiring and disconcerting. Other than that, I can't think many other things I'll remember about the Hobbit trilogy in five years (unlike the Lord of the Rings trilogy which I'll recall with fondness for the rest of my life).
Toe, shivaji and robnix like this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #28 of 38 Old 11-09-2015, 11:37 PM

One thousand years from now they'll be still talking and watching this great Hexalogy in holographic 4D Cinemarama.
post #29 of 38 Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 AM
JGM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
I will grant that the length of The Hobbit book did not warrant three movies, but unfortunately that is the result, I think of studio pressure because everything today needs to be a "blockbuster trilogy". While I did not enjoy The Hobbit trilogy as much as the LOTR trilogy, I am still very glad to have this story on film and be able to spend some more time in that world.
I'm sure that P. Jackson could have resisted the studio pressure and made fewer, or shorter, movies.

I wasn't going to buy any version of the Hobbit movies, but "Extended Editions" of something already so bloated is just . . . untenable to me.

Now, what I would consider buying and watching would be an un-extended (Retracted?) cut of about 4 hours total, which seems about right to tell this story with the epic scope but without the bloat. Hm. I wonder if there are fan cuts already out there . . .
robnix likes this.
post #30 of 38 Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
I'm sure that P. Jackson could have resisted the studio pressure and made fewer, or shorter, movies.

I wasn't going to buy any version of the Hobbit movies, but "Extended Editions" of something already so bloated is just . . . untenable to me.

Now, what I would consider buying and watching would be an un-extended (Retracted?) cut of about 4 hours total, which seems about right to tell this story with the epic scope but without the bloat. Hm. I wonder if there are fan cuts already out there . . .
The fanedits are quite good and easy to download. As long as you own the Bluray source discs you should have no qualms about grabbing one and enjoying it.

Looky here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page