2015 AVS Forum Holiday Shopping Guide: Blu-ray Discs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 6 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By nash23
  • 1 Post By hernanu
  • 1 Post By Balthazar2k4
  • 1 Post By Lazarus Dark

post #1 of 5 Old 11-20-2015, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 6244
2015 AVS Forum Holiday Shopping Guide: Blu-ray Discs

As we approach the heart of the 2015 holiday-shopping season, the AVS editorial staff will be posting several gift guides in which we identify the products that most impressed us this year. In preparation for my annual article on the best Blu-ray releases of the year, I am assembling my picks for this year's standouts. As a precursor to that, I have put together some great looking and sounding Blu-ray titles that make great stocking stuffers. They are separated into four categories below, although they all share similar quality in other categories.

Video

Tomorrowland: This film looks superb on Blu-ray and features exceptional video quality that exhibits high levels of detail, razor sharpness, and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera's lens.

Kingsmen: The Secret Service: The video has incredible depth and dimension that is rarely limited by the camera's perspective.

Lucy: Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images.

Audio

Terminator Genisys: Low frequency effects are applied with authority and occasionally provide room-shuddering bass capable of potent impact.

John Wick: This is an active audio presentation that utilizes the entire system to create a theater-like experience.

Furious 7: This 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is aggressive and features an active surround mix that has extended dynamic range, which superbly renders the bombastic nature of the elements in the recording.

Dolby Atmos

Mad Max: Fury Road: The extended chase and race sequences during the first and third acts contain a host of swirling effects, explosions, nearfield pans, weapons fire, and ambience that rotate around the soundstage, shifting overhead, passing by at ear level and coming directly at the listening position.

San Andreas: There is a sequence during the third act in a crumbling building that is filling with water as debris rains down from above and crashes to the floor. At one point, I actually turned and looked over my shoulder fully expecting to see a chunk of my drywall on the floor behind my seat.

Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition: The Atmos mix compliments the already top-notch soundtrack and enhances the experience of watching the film at nearly every level.

Animated Films

The Book of Life: This is a beautifully crafted digital movie that looks amazing in high definition. From start to finish, this presentation is nothing short of mesmerizing in its depiction of the animated images. The engaging audio presentation mates perfectly with the video and source material, and the combination makes for a terrific home-theater experience that is best described as marvelous.

Inside Out: The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the movie's animated subjects. It features a myriad of interplay as the perspective switches between what Riley hears and sees to what Joy and company hear and see through Riley. This is done to excellent effect as voices and effects rotate around the soundstage in perfect synchrony with the onscreen events.

Aladdin Diamond Edition: The images have excellent visual depth with deep, rich color fidelity and stable contrast that enhances dimension. This is an engaging presentation that features high-level detail in a resplendent blend of dialog, sound effects, bass, and music, with discretely placed effects and atmospherics that utilize the entire sound field.

I hope these recommendations help you make great choices for gifts this holiday-shopping season.

Happy Holidays!

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2015, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Excellent selections.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Marantz 8802A | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Noesis 210RM (C) | JTR 210RT (LR) | JTR Single 8HT-LP (Surrounds) | JTR Single 8HT (Surround Backs) | Deftech Procinema 1000 (ATMOS) | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2194
Thanks Ralph, have most of these and can agree with your opinions.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Consider this version of Lucy: http://www.yesasia.com/global/lucy-2...0-en/info.html

Get a great movie and Atmos sound too!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Inbound: Sony STR-ZA5000ES and Martin Logan ESL-C

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV (2019) / 170TB Plex Server
post #5 of 5 Old 11-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Absolutely agree on Kingsman. It was one of the first blurays I watched when getting my first pj and 106" screen two months ago (I had not seen the movie before then). And it was actually probably not a good idea, because the Kingsman video quality was so freakin amazing it makes most other blurays look lesser. (content warning: Kingsman was crude at times, but it actually kinda fit the story.)

I might just have to buy John Wick. I rented the Netflix bluray, but it was a rental disc, with lossy sound only and it was extremely disappointing audio-wise. Which shows the ignorance of these rental discs with lossy audio, I really like the film and if the audio had been better, I'd have went and bought it already, but I thought it wasn't worth it because I thought the lossy audio may have been indiciative of the general lameness of the audio. Only now by the suggestion of this article do I see that it may be worth buying as the lossless audio must be much better if you are suggesting it.
Why do studio's keep doing things like DRM and rental discs and such that literally costs them sales... ugh.

I know this article is mostly about the a/v quality, but I'd add another category: presentation/packaging. And then I'd put one entry in it: Phase. Two. Box.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page