AVS Forum's Top Blu-rays For 2015 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6096
AVS Forum's Top Blu-rays For 2015

It's hard to believe that we are nearing the end of 2015. As in years past, when I began thinking about assembling this list, there wasn't an abundance of titles coming to the forefront of my mind. But once I began going over this year's reviews, I didn't have any problem coming up with a cache of titles that make worthy additions to the collections of enthusiasts.

This year I will also offer my picks for the Blu-ray release with the best video, best sound, best Dolby Atmos mix, and my favorite film. While the year isn't quite over, I wanted to post this article during the holiday-shopping season in the event that some may want to add to their list of stocking stuffers.

I have included remarks from my review of each entry along with a link to the review that can be accessed by clicking on the title.

Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images onscreen.

Images have excellent visual depth with deep, rich color fidelity and stable contrast that enhances dimensionality.

Colors are richly saturated, vibrant, and beautifully rendered. Primaries are particularly vivid and exhibit visibly delineated stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation.

Whether it's the supple texture of small falling debris, splashes of water, or the weight of a crumbling building crashing to the ground, the audio is richly basked in sonic clarity and potent dynamic energy.

During the scene where Zorg speaks to Mr. Shadow on the telephone, I compared the Atmos and standard soundtracks. The Atmos mix sounds amazing, placing his growling voice in a floating three-dimensional acoustic space while keeping Zorg's responses out in front.

The DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack is technically proficient and in a word, terrific.

This is a flawless and film-like video presentation that delivers exquisite high-level detail and rich, deep, image-penetrating colors that look gorgeous in high definition.

The level of resolution produces imagery that in many cases has near-infinite visual acuity that draws out the finest details in close-ups while enhancing the delineation and textural nuance within objects and backgrounds.

Low-frequency effects are applied with authority and occasionally provide room-shuddering bass capable of potent impact.

With respect to the Dolby Atmos mix, everything really comes together for the first time during the Centipede invasion (followed later by the Pac Man and dual action segments in the finale). Ruptured pixel cubes, explosive near-field objects, and multi-dimensional ambience place you inside the action as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from above and at ear level.

This film looks superb on Blu-ray and features glossy high-definition video quality that exhibits high-level detail, razor sharpness, and exquisite definition that brings out the lifelike textures captured by the camera's lens.

Dynamic range is excellent as the active elements within the surround mix resound with superior clarity and palpable deep-bass transients.

Images are visually arresting and have a rich, dynamic quality that highlights the near flawless rendering of detail. The video has a three-dimensional and razor-sharp clarity that never left me wanting.

Wide-angle shots of the geographic locations reveal the varied and rough texture in the surfaces made of stone and wood while the beautifully framed landscapes look terrific. The 7.1-channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is an impressive one that utilizes the entire system to create a theater-like experience.

The action-based sequences transform the listening area into a three-dimensional soundfield filled with immersive surround activity that mates perfectly with the events unfolding onscreen.

Detail is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably dimensional. Surround activity is frequent and immersive as directional and spatial information mixed to the rear channels weaves an enveloping pattern of sound.

Resolution is excellent, particularly in brightly lit sequences, as images are characterized by definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. The audio's low-frequency effects are applied authoritatively to underscore the bombastic and aggressive aspects of the presentation.

While this mix doesn't make constant use of discretely placed audio objects from above, I enjoyed the effectiveness of the added dimension during the early parts of the film and thought it made for a solid Dolby Atmos presentation overall.

Gravity is probably the most anticipated Dolby Atmos Blu-ray release to date. I am pleased to report that the wait was well worth it. The surround mix compliments the already top-notch soundtrack and enhances the experience of watching the film at nearly every level.

This is a beautifully crafted digital film that looks amazing in high definition. From start to finish, the presentation is nothing short of mesmerizing in its depiction of the movie's animated images.

This is a rewarding 3D presentation that emphasizes excellent depth and dimension while featuring few examples of overtly gimmicky effects. It's a well-balanced presentation that features high-level detail in a resplendent blend of dialog, sound effects, bass, and music with discretely placed effects and atmospherics that utilize the entire soundstage.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition comes to Blu-ray featuring superlative and faithfully rendered high-definition audio/video and a bountiful supplemental set that will give fans their fill.

The overall quality is excellent as the video has a dimensionally strong perspective that is visually pleasing and reminiscent of what I saw during the theatrical presentation. The Dolby TrueHD 7.1-channel soundtrack features solid dynamics built around a nicely balanced surround mix that I wouldn't categorize as being aggressive but hits the mark when the action kicks in.

You can rest assured that this Blu-ray disc delivers some of the richest, deepest, and velvety textured blacks that I have seen. Images are gradational and three-dimensional so that the long drawn shots on earth and above have seemingly infinite depth.

During the battle sequences, the listening position is actively engaged by a mixture of spatial and discretely placed sound effects that put the listener in the heart of the action as machine gun fire, tank guns, and flying shells revolve, shake, and whiz around the room.

Honorable Mention:

Here are a few titles that I feel are deserving of mention—some due to their excellent technical merits and others because they are films worth sharing.

Walt Disney Animation Studios: Short Films Collection

I am a fan of animated short films. As a child, we would see them as preludes before the main feature at the theater. Animated shorts are the precursors that brought us to the full-length animated feature films we enjoy today. This is a marvelous collection of beautifully told, spritely, and heartwarming stories that live up to the legacy of the animated short film. Each includes an introduction by the filmmaker, which is a nice touch. Collections such as these are a must have for fans and enthusiasts alike and have a timeless appeal that can be shared by generations.

What We Do in the Shadows

The film's pitch-perfect deadpan humor, affable charm, and lightly veiled ode to the roots of its subject are a testament to the writing.

Wild Tales

Wild Tales is wonderfully immoral but with a point that isn't designed to imply anything other than providing an outlet for us to reflect on the times we may have felt exactly the same as its characters but wouldn't have the stones to act upon them. It's spot on and a great way to spend an evening with friends. I can't wait to give it another spin.

Gone Girl

This is a pristine, reference-quality presentation that looks terrific on my big screen. There are moments when the soundtrack springs to life with the power of the music, a purposefully placed effect, or accentuated atmospherics that place you within the scene.

Into the Woods

I found this to be a filmic presentation that yielded excellent picture quality with no signs of video-related anomalies or artifacts. The DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix is equally impressive and runs the gamut between subtle passages of spoken dialog/singing and soft music to dynamically charged sequences that deliver rewarding surround sound.

Apollo 13 20th Anniversary Edition

Apollo 13 recently underwent an extensive 4K digital restoration/re-mastering, and the results are superb. The video has an undisturbed grain structure that occasionally takes on more emphasis, but I never found it bothersome. Having seen Apollo 13 on home video first on DVD, then HD DVD, and later on the 2010 15th anniversary edition, I am pleased to report that this represents its finest video reproduction to date. Universal has done a wonderful job with it, and I greatly appreciate their efforts.

Best of the Best:

Video: Tomorrowland - This film looks superb on Blu-ray and features glossy high-definition video quality that exhibits high-level detail, razor sharpness, and exquisite definition, which brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera's lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating.

Audio: Mad Max: Fury Road - This is a dynamically charged mix that frequently utilizes the subwoofer to provide viscerally potent impact. The low-frequency effects are applied authoritatively to underscore the bombastic and aggressive aspects of the presentation, and it does so quite effectively. Its palpable presence is never in question as it contains refined bass quality that is appreciably superior and room energizing (bass heads will love it!).

Dolby Atmos: San Andreas - The Atmos mix makes effective use of the entire platform and manages the plethora of effects, dialog, music, and low-frequency content allowing all of the recording's elements to be fully realized.

Film: Whiplash - Wow. The trailer for this film merely skimmed the surface providing a mouth-watering glimpse of its potential. As a former drummer, I was immediately interested in the subject matter but wasn't prepared for the depth of its intensity nor the riveting performances that underscored it. Whiplash is among my favorite films of the year and is justly deserving of the praise and accolades it has received.

There you have it—my picks for some of this year's best Blu-ray releases. I'd love to hear your thoughts as well as your own picks for 2015. And I would be more than happy to entertain recommendations that could be added to the list based on a group consensus.

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Ralph thanks for the year end wrap-up! This was a very good year for blu-ray releases with so many good movies released!

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #3 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Thanks for the recommendations. I added some to my watchlist to check out.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Nice list. I haven't seen a few of those so I'm looking forward to catching up.

I'm definitely waiting for Interstellar on UHD Bluray, and the same thing for The Martian.

You can see a brutal level of 8-bit banding in the image right here that sadly regular Blurays are shackled with:

On pretty much any movie, as soon as there's a bright light source, like the sun or moon, or a headlight or spotlight, you can tell you're watching video encoding that really is not all that great. For all the improvements we got from Bluray over DVD over old CRT, at least CRT / analog colors didn't have banding. Thankfully we will soon be free of their tyranny! 10-bit movies FTW! Once you see banding you can't un-see it. I took the red pill.
Dark Matter likes this.
post #5 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Excellent list Ralph and have no argument with the titles you selected. All great Blu ray titles.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 12671 Post(s)
Liked: 11901
Excellent list and one of the best years for movies ever. A strong lineup the entire year.

Will you be purchasing an hdr capable tv to review uhd hdr discs in 2016?
Ralph Potts likes this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #7 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Been some awesome releases for those that love eye and ear candy this year.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Can't disagree with the list. I have most of those and they are excellent. Looking forward to more goodness in 2016.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Nabs17
post #9 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Ralph: thanks for taking time out from your busy schedule to make this list. I have about 8 of them and used San Andreas to test out my new Pb 2000 sub. First picture that I felt vibrations on the floor. Enjoy the holidays..

Matt
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #10 of 39 Old 12-06-2015, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Mad Max: Fury Road - buckle up and turn it up!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I disagree with some of the picks, the sound and image might be great but the movies stink!

Jurassic world in particular is terrible... I can't believe how many people like it.
post #12 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Thanks Ralph for the list! I couldn't agree more on MMFR. Just purchased San Andreas to give it a try after hooking up my Atmos speakers.
Ralph Potts likes this.

My home theater
Speakers: 3 JTR 212HTR (LCR), 2 Jtr Single 8LP (S), 2 JTR Triple 12LF (SB)) , 4 Volt 10LX (Atmos)
Subwoofers: 10 Sealed UXL-18, 5 Crowson Shadow 8 transducers, 3 Buttkicker LFE
Display: JVC RS400
post #13 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1530
Your list reminded me how great 2015 was for movies, seems the best in years.

I've bought a few on your list, mostly did redbox rental as I'm weaning myself from buying too many more "std" blu-rays in anticipation of UHDBR ...
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Your list reminded me how great 2015 was for movies, seems the best in years.

I've bought a few on your list, mostly did redbox rental as I'm weaning myself from buying too many more "std" blu-rays in anticipation of UHDBR ...
I agree, 2015 = epic for movies. Best of all, there are still big guns left with SW Ep.7 and a Tarantino not yet fully out of the gate.

As for BD, there where so many great surprises. Thanks for the great write up Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6096
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I disagree with some of the picks, the sound and image might be great but the movies stink!

Jurassic world in particular is terrible... I can't believe how many people like it.

Greetings,

Thanks for your post gregoryperkins. Since opinions on films can be subjective I generally base my picks on audio/video quality. I do add a few that are chosen (as indicated) for film quality.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #16 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

Totally agree with the exception of Interstellar - complete crap!
morbidcorpse likes this.
post #17 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Nice list. I haven't seen a few of those so I'm looking forward to catching up.

I'm definitely waiting for Interstellar on UHD Bluray, and the same thing for The Martian.

You can see a brutal level of 8-bit banding in the image right here that sadly regular Blurays are shackled with:

On pretty much any movie, as soon as there's a bright light source, like the sun or moon, or a headlight or spotlight, you can tell you're watching video encoding that really is not all that great. For all the improvements we got from Bluray over DVD over old CRT, at least CRT / analog colors didn't have banding. Thankfully we will soon be free of their tyranny! 10-bit movies FTW! Once you see banding you can't un-see it. I took the red pill.
So my tv may not be the issue? After I got my BDP-103 for my LG 47LH90, I became a bit more attentive to picture quality, and as much as I fiddled with the settings on the tv and Oppo, I couldn't get rid of the horrible banding on the Wolfman Blu-Ray. I thought the banding was mostly attributed to poor setup or limitations of LED-LCD. I never considered the Blu Ray platform was the issue.

I also can't get good black detail in "Ronin", when DeNiro is wearing the black robe. Total black crush unless the tv's brightness is in torch mode.
post #18 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 12671 Post(s)
Liked: 11901
For all the great movies of 2015, I thought the biggest disappointment was the avengers 2. Not only did the blu ray not look as good as the first (weak colors),the soundtrack was weak, and the plot had good potential but I thought the overall movie was just missing something. Might be my least favorite marvel movie to date.

I did however really like jurassic world

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #19 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
"Whiplash," and, "What We Do In The Shadows," were the most hysterical movies I saw all year. WWDITS had me nearly wetting myself. Definitely one of the best *mock-umentaries* since This Is Spinal Tap.

post #20 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

Jurassic World was so awful, it made me want to gouge my own eyes out. Just knowing that many people could think such a garbage movie was good, makes me want to quit life.

post #21 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
For all the great movies of 2015, I thought the biggest disappointment was the avengers 2. Not only did the blu ray not look as good as the first (weak colors),the soundtrack was weak, and the plot had good potential but I thought the overall movie was just missing something. Might be my least favorite marvel movie to date.

I did however really like jurassic world

I agree with you, we watched Avengers countless times, we've only saw Avengers 2 twice.... Once at movie plex and once on my paid bluray. Meh.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #22 of 39 Old 12-07-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Thanks! Great list!

Lends perspective to the reviews so I'm able to re-prioritize my viewing and purchases!

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #23 of 39 Old 12-08-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Yes a excellent year for well mastered BD's, far cry from the botched days of Ultimate Hunter edition of Predator along with the first awful release of Gladiator.
I have 14 out of 25 currently # 15 next week (rogue nation), but the year still isn't quite done yet is it.

Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #24 of 39 Old 12-08-2015, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
2015 was indeed a 'high impact' year in many levels for films (picture & sound wise). ...Just @ the dawn of what's coming up next...

Just wait for UHD 2016, you haven't seen anything yet...

* Great list Ralph, 90% are in my BR collection.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #25 of 39 Old 12-09-2015, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My personal list for 2015
Best audio:Antman
Best video:Tomorrowland
Best film:Mission impossible 5
Best tv show:Game of thrones season 4
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #26 of 39 Old 12-09-2015, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
May I add to the honorable mentions..

"Birdman" That movie had great surround and an insane amount of sub woofer.
Ralph Potts likes this.

John Burton

post #27 of 39 Old 12-09-2015, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfixitBIG View Post
"Birdman" That movie had great surround and an insane amount of sub woofer.

Birdman honorable mention.
post #28 of 39 Old 12-09-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Liked this list for Top Blu's for 2015. Can't complain at all
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #29 of 39 Old 12-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 2132
Awesome list Ralph couldn't agree more

Frank
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #30 of 39 Old 12-12-2015, 10:06 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Very nice variety in your list, Ralph. I particularly look forward to checking out the remastered Spartacus and My Fair Lady. (Spartacus badly needed it!)

Blu-ray rules!
Ralph Potts likes this.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page