55Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 12-22-2015, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
The Walk 3D Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this engaging drama that tells the true story of high-wire artist Philippe Petit, who in 1974 recruits a team of people to help him realize his dream: to walk the immense void between the World Trade Center towers.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/3D Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 123 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English, Spanish, Thai Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Cantonese, Chinese, French, Indonesian/Bahasa, Korean, Spanish, Thai
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ben Kingsley, Charoltte Le Bon, James Badge Dale
Directed by: Robert Zemeckis
Music by: Alan Silvestri
Written by: Robert Zemeckis & Christopher Browne based on the book: To Reach the Clouds" by Philippe Petit
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 5, 2016

"This is a True Story"

My Take:

Twelve people have walked on the moon, but only one man – Philippe Petit (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) – has ever walked in the immense void between the World Trade Center towers. Guided by his real-life mentor, Papa Rudy (Ben Kingsley), and aided by an unlikely band of international recruits, Petit and his gang overcome long odds, betrayals, dissension and countless close calls to conceive and execute their mad plan. Academy Award winning director Robert Zemeckis uses advanced technology in the service of an emotional, character-driven story. THE WALK is a love letter to Paris and New York City in the 1970s, but most of all, to the Towers of the World Trade Center.

As a fan of films based on true life events/people I was particularly interested in The Walk. The fact that it's events took place during my lifetime as well as in New York only piqued my curiosity. I have clear recollections of Philippe Petit's memorable stunt and watching it unfold in minute detail in the film was truly marvelous. The painstaking digital recreation of the World Trade Center enhanced the spirit of the narrative as it spoke in layer peeling fashion about the soul of a man determined to fulfill his dream.

I reveled in the depiction of the incredible and seemingly insurmountable process required to pull of "the coup" and the caper like spirit of its telling. The Walk captures the essence of Philippe's larger than life persona and transports viewers back to that fateful day and the breathtaking moments he spent 1,300 feet above NY City with only a suspended cable of his own making between himself and certain death. I appreciated the respect shown to Phiippe's craft and the development of the plot points which included a well-crafted backstory on Philippe, his cohorts and of course an engagingly faithful recreation of the Walk.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives one of his finest, if not his finest performance in the role of Philippe, which in my opinion connects us with the story on an emotional level. Conjoined with that is the superb rendering of effects and attention to detail that went into placing us right along Philippe on that wire. I don't know how many times I shuddered while watching it. I applaud director Zemeckis for his dedication to bringing this wonderful and stirring human interest story to the big screen. I watched The Walk with my family and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements involving perilous situations and for some nudity, language, brief drug references and smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

3D Presentation: 100

• Depth (Onscreen):
  • Dimension (Beyond the screen):
  • Realism:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:

The Walk 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

I have watched a variety of 3D high definition video both animated and live action. To this point there have been few instances of what I refer to as reference quality (on my scale) 3D presentations. Those that I have found to be ahead of the pack have proven to be thoroughly involving visual experiences that enhance the subject matter for which it was created.

The Walk is one of those high definition presentations that truly enhanced the film's subject matter, proving thoroughly engrossing. Detail is preserved as the video retains its high level of clarity with objects, people and backgrounds within the frame appearing delineated and sharp. I was amazed by the depth and realism of the three dimensional imagery. The spacing of objects/ people in the foreground/background is incredibly lifelike which imparts a natural sense of scale as things of various shapes and sizes occupy the virtual world onscreen. I wasn’t drawn out of the film by odd looking proportions or hokey 3D for 3D’s sake. In fact I would say that it was just the opposite. The cinematography utilizes near field camera perspectives that enhance proportional correlation. There are a variety of sequences that utilize the 3D platform to reach beyond the borders of the screen and the effects are excellent. Contrast is spot on, with excellent dynamic range, and colors are beautifully reproduced. I didn’t notice any distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk or other video related anomalies.

I recently upgraded my front projector and found that I couldn't have chosen a better 3D rendering to test its chops.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s thematic elements. Alan Silvestri's music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and atmospheric sound effects, plays an intricate role in this subtly engaging surround mix. The detection of background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is excellent. The low frequency effects channel works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the bass response associated with the variety of “sounds” used in the film. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I thoroughly enjoyed this audio presentation and found that it accentuated the feeling of “being there” while complimenting the film’s recorded elements

2D Video Quality:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Walk comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps.

This film looks superb on Blu-ray Disc and features glossy high definition video quality that exhibits high level detail, razor sharpness and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional depiction. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives whites without washing away detail. Blacks are gradational and fairly deep which helps them pop during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. This is a pristine presentation that looked great on my big screen.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: The Walk 3D Blu-ray
    Disc 2: The Walk 2D Blu-ray (Plus Bonus Features)
  • HD *Exclusive* 7 Deleted scenes
  • HD *Exclusive* First Steps: Learning to Walk the Wire – 9 minute featurette
  • HD *Exclusive* The Amazing Walk – 10 minute featurette
  • (HD) Pillars of Support – 8 minute featurette
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book "To Reach the Clouds" by wire walker Philippe Petit, The Walk is a wonderfully crafted and superbly executed dramatic film that depicts the true story of Philippe Petit's incredible journey to fulfill his dream. It comes to Blu-ray in the 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack that features a terrific 3D rendering, reference quality high definition video, complimentary lossless sound quality and fair supplemental package that looks behind the scenes as told by cast, crew and Philippe himself. I thoroughly enjoyed The Walk and highly recommend that you check it out on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 12-22-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-22-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Thanks Ralph! I was really interested in this movie before, but didn't get a chance to see it in theaters. Based off your glowing review, I will definitely have to check it out on Blu-ray!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #3 of 51 Old 12-22-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 2288
Watched it last night and was fascinated by the story. The 3D was excellent, although being somewhat afraid of heights I wasn't thrilled when he was making his walk between the towers! Zemeckis did an excellent job directing (I see an Oscar nomination heading his way) in how he was able to ratchet-up the tension even when we knew how it would end. Kudos to him.

Great review Ralph!

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 12-22-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
saw it twice in the theaters. looking forward to this to come out. Definitely a movie that needs to be seen in 3d
Ralph Potts likes this.

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Klipsch R28Fs, c: Infinity Beta C360 rear: cheapo Sharps
post #5 of 51 Old 12-22-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I saw this in 3d. It was very impressive. The movie was great also. All the things they had they had to do to pull this off was amazing. I don't want to spoil anything for anybody who hasn't seen it yet, but when you watch this, I think you will be even more impressed as I was going in. Not sure if it's a day one buy. We shall see. Maybe some day. But if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
Ralph Potts likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 12-22-2015 at 10:09 AM.
post #6 of 51 Old 12-22-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Funny how opinions differ. I walked out of the movie when I saw it in a theater. I thought the whole setup with him as a street performer was pretty goofy.

There was a documentary in 2008 called Man on a Wire that I thought was much better.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/man_on_wire/
shivaji and gtaylor0 like this.
post #7 of 51 Old 12-22-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked: 4253
that picture in the 1st post alone makes me want to watch the movie...gives me vertigo just looking at it
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #8 of 51 Old 12-23-2015, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I saw this in IMAX 3D over the summer. Ralph is correct giving it a 3D score of 100, the visuals in this movie are insane. The scenes of Phillipe walking between the towers had me clenched up in my seat, and honestly I do not want to watch this again.
gamermwm likes this.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #9 of 51 Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 535
2.40:1? Shame. Would've thought they'd have gone for 1.85:1
post #10 of 51 Old 12-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I haven't seen this one, but the documentary "Man on Wire" was excellent. If you want to see the real story behind this new release, I highly recommend it.

I am sure the new movie improves significantly on the audio and video aspects.
post #11 of 51 Old 12-23-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 207
As tempting as it may be to see Zemeckis and Silvestri in action, I would rather hold off until I watch 'Man on Wire', the Doc that one of the above posters mentioned....

However, great review Ralf...Looking forward to this film
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #12 of 51 Old 12-23-2015, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I saw this 3 times in IMAX 3D, the 3D was mind blowing. I couldn't get enough.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #13 of 51 Old 12-24-2015, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
I couldn't get through Man on the Wire, it was just boring to me, but I'm looking forward to this. I guess I'm more receptive to a little dramatization, than dry cold history. YMMV.
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #14 of 51 Old 12-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
First day purchase...(((3D))) puts you above the top. ...Technology @ its best and this film is important historically.

Thank you for the review...and Gold bless you.
gamermwm and Ralph Potts like this.
post #15 of 51 Old 12-28-2015, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Watched this the other day. A marvelous little gem indeed, and 3D is definitely the way to go.
Gordon-Levitt was a tour de force in this film, he should be nominated for both the GGs and the Oscars IMO.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #16 of 51 Old 12-29-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
I saw this in IMAX 3D over the summer. Ralph is correct giving it a 3D score of 100, the visuals in this movie are insane. The scenes of Phillipe walking between the towers had me clenched up in my seat, and honestly I do not want to watch this again.
Now THAT'S the kind of stuff I like to hear about a well made strong 3D film! Can't wait to see it! I also am not a huge fan of heights, so I'll make sure to wear my brown pants for this one.
Aetherhole, MichaelZ and dan4081 like this.

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #17 of 51 Old 12-30-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Watched this late night last Sunday. Thought it was great! His walk between the towers had awesome visuals.
post #18 of 51 Old 12-31-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
Now THAT'S the kind of stuff I like to hear about a well made strong 3D film! Can't wait to see it! I also am not a huge fan of heights, so I'll make sure to wear my brown pants for this one.
I remember reports of an advance screening where some reviewers got physically ill in the bathroom due to the excellent 3D. Zemeckis has been a latter-day 3D pioneer (going back to "Beowulf"). Even if this one is a conversion, he has the eye and skill to shoot it for effective 3D. Week One purchase for me.
gamermwm likes this.
post #19 of 51 Old 01-02-2016, 04:53 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Well written, thorough review Ralph. Thank you! It now seems to be worth a blind buy. For anyone who might be interested, click here to read an insightful article from fxguide about how the effects team reproduced Petit's high-wire walk between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center.

Last edited by marcuslaw; 01-02-2016 at 04:57 AM.
post #20 of 51 Old 01-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks for the great review, Ralph!

My copy arrived this morning and I plan to watch it in 3D later today.

oz
post #21 of 51 Old 01-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mine arrived today too. This has one of the most fitting lenticular covers for a 3-D BD that I can remember. All the more reason to buy it now before you end up with a plain cardboard cover.
post #22 of 51 Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Watched the 3D version last night and enjoyed it. The beginning of the movie is a bit slow, but the last half of the film pulls you out of the lull. The actual walk itself was totally amazing!
Ralph Potts likes this.

oz
post #23 of 51 Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post
Watched the 3D version last night and enjoyed it. The beginning of the movie is a bit slow, but the last half of the film pulls you out of the lull. The actual walk itself was totally amazing!
Greetings,

Great! Thanks for posting your thoughts oz.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 51 Old 01-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I watched in 3D last night and the 3D was really good (Ralph's reviews are really great - I read them with great interest all the time). I was getting semi-sick watching it as I felt like I was there. I have Man on a Wire in my cue to watch on instant video for a bit but have not gotten to it. Will definitely look at it now.
post #25 of 51 Old 01-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I watched the movie again in regular 2D (on a secondary system). Even though the screen is not as big as the main system (100 inch with an Epson 5030 and only sit 10 feet away), it is 50 inches and I'm about 7 feet away (and I'll probably get a 4k TV for that room over the next several months). Not quite the same impact as the 3D version. I like the secondary system as it is in an enclosed small bedroom (13x11) and I recently added Atmos capability (Marantz 5010 with an Emotiva XPA 200 on the front channels) by adding side surrounds and using he in-ceiling speakers for Atmos. The side surrounds work better as surrounds. I had in-ceilings put in the main (living) room system last April and hope to add Atmos capability sometime over the next few months (and the system will be 11.2) with outboard amps for the front 3 channels.

Plan to watch Man on a Wire tonight (probably in the bedroom system, Epson 8350 on a DaLite 92 inch screen that folds into the ceiling). Thanks again Ralph for those great reviews. I read them regularly. I don't post all that often (been on AVS for 14 years) but want you to know I appreciate all the work going into evaluating new releases.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #26 of 51 Old 01-08-2016, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighEndWire View Post
I watched the movie again in regular 2D (on a secondary system). Even though the screen is not as big as the main system (100 inch with an Epson 5030 and only sit 10 feet away), it is 50 inches and I'm about 7 feet away (and I'll probably get a 4k TV for that room over the next several months). Not quite the same impact as the 3D version. I like the secondary system as it is in an enclosed small bedroom (13x11) and I recently added Atmos capability (Marantz 5010 with an Emotiva XPA 200 on the front channels) by adding side surrounds and using he in-ceiling speakers for Atmos. The side surrounds work better as surrounds. I had in-ceilings put in the main (living) room system last April and hope to add Atmos capability sometime over the next few months (and the system will be 11.2) with outboard amps for the front 3 channels.

Plan to watch Man on a Wire tonight (probably in the bedroom system, Epson 8350 on a DaLite 92 inch screen that folds into the ceiling). Thanks again Ralph for those great reviews. I read them regularly. I don't post all that often (been on AVS for 14 years) but want you to know I appreciate all the work going into evaluating new releases.
Greetings,

Great stuff HighEndWire. You're very welcome and thanks for reading..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #27 of 51 Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
I remember reports of an advance screening where some reviewers got physically ill in the bathroom due to the excellent 3D. Zemeckis has been a latter-day 3D pioneer (going back to "Beowulf"). Even if this one is a conversion, he has the eye and skill to shoot it for effective 3D. Week One purchase for me.
Here's my Super Scared of Heights review. Enjoy.

So I ralphed (no offense) several times while watching this movie. But when my head wasn't in the toilet; I was able to look up and admire the view from so high up; on the tip top of the World Trade Centers. I was transported into the frightening mind's eye of a madman who did the impossible. And with the immersion of 3D, it felt as if I was right there being given a piggy back ride across the wire; terrified all the while; palpable fear ebbing with the bobbing sway of the balance pole.

My first case of actual sickness came with that initial spectacular shot of looking down from on high in 3D through the massive void between the towers. I immediately found myself hurling 3D projectiles of my own out of the screen (or into it - I don't know I was wholly immersed).

I thought I came in prepared for this movie...well...I was NOT. I even wore my favorite brown corduroy OshKosh B'Gosh pants from so many years ago which I keep stashed in a drawer for just such occasions. And they certainly came in handy when
Spoiler!

When the movie was over; After a hot shower and a quick call to a cleaning service; I began to realize just how amazing the experience was. I don't regrat a thing, just as the tattoo on my forearm attests.

Spoiler!

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #28 of 51 Old 01-08-2016, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
I watched it couple nights ago, and I enjoyed it. The 3D was artistically well done. Happy with it.

* I did not throw up.
post #29 of 51 Old 01-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3575
Just watched this and me and the gf both were glued to our seat the entire film! We watched on her 43" flat panel and I can only imagine how awesome this would have been in 3d IMAX! Hoping to check out the 3d version at some point in my HT at least. Great movie.

Also really enjoyed Man on a Wire and both films are must see IMO.

Last edited by Toe; 01-09-2016 at 08:42 PM.
post #30 of 51 Old 01-10-2016, 04:16 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Just watched this and me and the gf both were glued to our seat the entire film! We watched on her 43" flat panel and I can only imagine how awesome this would have been in 3d IMAX! Hoping to check out the 3d version at some point in my HT at least. Great movie.

Also really enjoyed Man on a Wire and both films are must see IMO.
It appears we were watching it at the same time! I'm not a big fan of Gordon-Levitt though I think his portrayal of Philippe Petit was commendable and his French accent pretty convincing. I saw it on a 75" and in 3-D but can't help but feel that the overall effects of stereo were a bit more subtle than some reviewers have described (Martin Liebman called the climatic scene "arguably one of the most impressive 3D sequences yet, no surprise considering the movie lives or dies, visually in 3D, by this measuring stick."). Perhaps I need to watch it again in 2-D to better appreciate the differences. The climax is simply knee wobbling and nausea inducing with or, presumably, without 3-D. For me, the most illustrative example of this was when Philippe first jumps up on the edge of the first Tower. The first person camera perspective nearly took my breath away. After that, the effect wasn't as dramatic; even during the "walk(s)". I must admit that I might have numbed my sensitivity somewhat by reading the fxguide post about the visual effects behind the film. Still, it was rather fascinating to learn from that post how Zemeckis and company pulled it all off even if a lot of green screen was involved.

Of course, we really enjoyed seeing the Twin Towers standing tall in all their glory. In fact, my wife cried several times when they appeared on screen and couldn't resist whispering memories of reactions to the events of 9/11 to our son who wasn't born yet. We went on to watch the bonus features and enjoyed seeing the real walker, Philippe Petit, himself. That man is in pretty good shape for a 66 year old and it was rather remarkable to hear that he still wire walks! Afterward, I mentioned to my wife that Petit is a person with a unique connection to the World Trade Center as a result of what he did and the towers subsequent destruction. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's looked upon with great esteem, almost like a superstar in a sense, by people today who lost loved ones in that tragedy. I digress. Good film. We'll rewatch it again someday but for now the wait is on for The Martian. I'll leave you all with this . . .

Ralph Potts, Toe and gamermwm like this.

Last edited by marcuslaw; 01-10-2016 at 04:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
3d ~ 100 , dts-hd 5.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page