61Likes

post #1 of 81 Old 01-03-2016, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7043
Everest 3D Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this engaging and compelling thriller inspired by the true events surrounding the 1996 attempt to reach the summit of the world's highest mountain.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/3D Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 122 minutes
Genre: Thriller/Drama/Biopic/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Kiera Knightley, Jason Clarke, Josh Brolin, John Hawkes, Robin Wright, Michael Kelly, Sam Worthington, Emily Watson
Directed by: Baltasar Kormakur
Music by: Dario Marianelli
Written by: William Nichloson & Simon Beaufoy
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 19, 2016

"Never Let Go…"

My Take:

Inspired by the incredible events surrounding an attempt to reach the summit of the world’s highest mountain, Everest documents the awe-inspiring journey of two different expeditions challenged beyond their limits by one of the fiercest snowstorms ever encountered by mankind. Their mettle tested by the harshest elements found on the planet, the climbers will face nearly impossible obstacles as a lifelong obsession becomes a breathtaking struggle for survival.

I have vague recollections of the 1996 disaster that befell the climbers on Mount Everest but didn't remember the specifics as I sat down to watch Everest. I truly wanted to catch it in the theater but simply never got around to it despite hearing positive things about it from people that had seen it. I enjoy fact based films but am also a feel good movie fan so I knew that this film was going to more than likely be a bittersweet endeavor. Everest brings this powerful and moving story to the big screen in a vivid way as it focuses on the group of climbers in the days just before the fatal ascent, followed by a fairly detailed breakdown of the things that went wrong and the devastating aftermath. I will eschew going into any description of the various plot points as I feel that this film is best experienced with only a basis for the story. If possible don't read anything about it before seeing the film as it negatively affect its impact.

When Everest was over I found myself thinking about it, not only directly after but into the next day. I then researched the story and real people involved. I don't understand the motivations of those that are compelled to go to such lengths but can appreciate it when I see them achieve extraordinary things. As for the movie, I found it engrossing, compelling, and moving in its depiction of this incredible story. The commitment by all involved, from the filmmakers, cast, advisors and locals is clearly obvious as they attempt to achieve an authentic telling of these events.

I watched Everest with members of my family and we all had a similar reaction to it, finding it to be engaging, poignant and a thoroughly entertaining film experience.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense peril and disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

3D Presentation: 92

• Depth (Onscreen):
  • Dimension (Beyond the screen):
  • Realism:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Everest 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 6.6 Mbps.

Everest wasn’t shot natively in 3D and was converted in post- production. Large portions of the film were shot against green screens and the reproduction of the digital effects and wide angle background elements translates positively here. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or people layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space and scale. There is little use of 3D imagery that goes well beyond the screen’s borders but natural dimension abounds which enhances the “being there” effect. I wasn’t drawn out of the film by odd looking proportions or hokey 3D for 3D’s sake. In fact I would say that it was just the opposite. Comparing color and fleshtone reproduction to the 2D presentation I found them to be identical. The rendering of detail and clarity is impressive. I couldn’t help but feel a slight preference for the 3D version as based on the source material it just draws you deeper into the story.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel sound mix is technically proficient and sounds terrific. This is a supremely articulated and commanding presentation that will reward those with systems capable of thoroughly reproducing its elements. This is not an overtly aggressive presentation but it definitively produces powerful dynamics and deep bass transients that underscore the action with aplomb. This is an engaging and purposeful sound design that transforms the room into a three dimensional soundstage that creates an immersive web of sound that encapsulates the sweet spot with its plethora of sounds/ effects that seem to emanate from every direction during the films active moments.

Pinpoint imaging draws out both large and small sounds and by allowing their directional correlation (based upon the onscreen events) to be definable within the room’s acoustic boundaries. The music score helps set the stage with its perfect blend of evocative instrumentation and rousing orchestration. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or tonal inflection of voices.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the fairly active variety that makes good use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects and music accompaniment. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events in an involving and sometime visceral fashion. Prior to the teams arrival at Mount Everest there are several sequences that feature the sounds of helicopter props, bustling city streets in Nepal and the like that effectively place you in the environment. Later, when things go wrong on the mountain, there are a host of swirling effects, rumbling thunder, avalanches and pounding winds that rotate around the soundstage, shifting overhead, passing by at ear level and coming directly at the listening position. Everything comes together in a resplendent blend of room traversing and well balanced sound that shows what this format is capable of.

In this behind-the-scenes video, Sound Re-recording mixer Ian Trapp talks about how Dolby Atmos helped create a believable environment for the audience while watching the film. Trapp says, “Using the Dolby Atmos mix to describe that environment and make the viewer feel like they are on the mountain with the characters. What the Atmos system really enables us to do is to place the sounds where we want them to give them the realism that we want and really involve the audience.”

As my ratings suggest Everest as presented on Blu-ray is an end to end experience that delivers on the potential and promise of each format. Turn it up, sit back and enjoy the ride!

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Everest comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 Mbps.

This is a flawless and film like video presentation that delivers exquisite high level detail and rich image penetrating colors that look gorgeous in high definition. The video has incredible depth and dimension that is rarely limited by the camera’s perspective. The level of resolution present produces imagery that in many cases has a near infinite visual acuity that draws out the finest details in close ups while enhancing the delineation and textural nuance within objects and backgrounds. Wide angle shots of the geographic locations and vista views of the shooting locations reveal the varied and rough texture in the surfaces made of stone, rock and ice while the beautifully framed shots of the landscapes look stunning.

Flesh tones exhibit lifelike textures with natural color and vibrant complexions. Blacks exhibit exemplary dynamic range and appear deep and rich without compromise. Shadow detail is impressive and readily conveys strong dimensionality during the scenes shot in darkened areas and uneven light. The segments shot at night look fabulous. Contrast and brightness work in tandem so that dark scenes exhibit good dynamic range and bright scenes are vivid without loss of detail. I saw no signs of video related anomalies or extraneous noise. I tip my hat to Universal. This is an impressive high definition presentation that looked marvelous on my big screen.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Everest 3D Blu-ray (Including Bonus Features in 2D)
    Disc 2: Everest 2D Blu-ray [(Including Bonus Features)
  • (HD) Learning to Climb: The Actor's Journey – 4 minute featurette
  • (HD) A Mountain of Work: Recreating Everest – 5 minute featurette
  • (HD) Race to the Summit: The Making of Everest – 11 minute featurette
  • (HD) Aspiring to Authenticity: The Real Story – 6 minute featurette
  • Feature Length Commentary with director Baltasar Kormakur
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the true story of the ill-fated 1996 ascent to the summit of Mount Everest, Everest is a powerful, engaging and wonderfully crafted film that succeeds at capturing the spirit and emotion of its subject. It comes to Blu-ray in this 3D Blu-ray Combo pack from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring reference quality high definition video, engrossing lossless surround sound, an entertaining and complimentary 3D rendering and a small but worthwhile supplemental package that looks behind the scenes at the production. Home theater enthusiasts that are set up for Dolby Atmos are going to enjoy this terrific mix that literally places you in the heart of the story. Everest is highly recommended viewing that is well worth picking up on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
ArthurL, Ximori, gonzalc3 and 4 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 01-20-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 01-03-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Thanks for the review Ralph. I have been intrigued by this movie since it came out (haven't seen it) and it looks like it will make a worthy addition to the collection.

I have an Atmos question for you though. You have Axiom QS8 speakers for surround duty, but how do they fair with Atmos material when Dolby wants monopole speakers all around? If you want to keep my off-topic question out of this discussion, just give me your thoughts in a PM. Thanks Sir.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 81 Old 01-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I only watched Everest in 2D and it's a sharp transfer. So sharp that I wonder how much sharper could 4K be. After all these years, the studios have finally known how to milk every ounce out of AVC to make sharp BR transfers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 Old 01-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 427
I was curious if this was based on Jon Krakauer's book, "Into Thin Air," so I looked it up. Apparently it was not, but it is about the same events. According to wikipedia, Krakauer "denounced the movie, stating some of its details were fabricated and defamatory." In response, the director, Baltasar Kormákur, said that "Krakauer's version conflicted with actual events."

Krakauer's book was fantastic. The story was one of the most riveting I've ever read. If the movie does anywhere close to as good a job depicting the drama as "Into Thin Air," then I am not surprised at the high rating. I'm looking forward to watching this one.

P.S. Extra points, Ralph, for using the word "eschew." I used it recently in a comment somewhere and was wondering if anyone uses that word anymore. Now I see that there are at least two of us.
ImaStar likes this.
post #5 of 81 Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 797
This will probably be one of those one and done movies for me due to the heavy nature of it, but wow the AV score has me really wanting to get it on Blu. I echo the sentiments of gworrel in that "Into Thin Air" was an amazing book. Back in the day I was so intrigued by the whole story that my wife and I went to see Goran Kropp speak and publicize his book about the events in "Ultimate High: My Everest Odyssey." Sadly, he died in 2002 from an unfortunate climbing accident. I went on a three pitch rock climb once in Squamish and vowed never to do it again. Scariest $h!t I've done in my whole life. I tip my hat to those who have the gonads to challenge such things.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Panny UB420, Epson 6040UB, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #6 of 81 Old 01-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Thanks Ralph. I have been waiting for your review on this one for months . I am so glad when I saw your review now. Wow 4.5 film 100 audio 96 atmos. It is a must buy for me. Appreciate your review.
post #7 of 81 Old 01-03-2016, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Once again Ralph, your review was spot on. I was able to catch this movie in IMAX "LIEMAX", and was blown away by the visual 3D and story line. I even wound up with some tears in my eyes toward the end. And I haven't cried at a movie since way back in "The Muppets Take Manhattan" when the muppets break up for a while. Well back to my point...if I had one. Oh yeah. After reading your review stating "reference quality 3D picture and sound. I can't wait to watch it on my 120" screen sourced from my Oppo 103D displayed on my epson 5030UB with sound produced from my pioneer VSX-53 with 7.1 setup. You know it baby!!!! Who can top that Everest of a setup. Lol. Thanks again Ralph. You rock.

Can I make one suggestion??
You list all your equipment at the end of your post, but can you be specific as to exactly which components you used for your review? For example, You have a couple of blu ray players listed. Which one did you use? The Oppo or the Panny? Thanks

Brad
Phrehdd likes this.

Last edited by Brad Levine; 01-04-2016 at 07:29 AM.
post #8 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3564
I'll be climbing to the top to get this one on January 19 ... thx Ralph for that review.

* I love climbing stuff...documentaries, films based on true events, snowboarding, everything to do with high altitude, snow, extreme sports, the outdoors.
The last climbing documentary that I really liked was Meru, which I highly recommend if like me you love that kind of real life stuff.
Live life to the highest and fullest, climb high mountains. ... And install high elevation Atmos speakers.

P.S. I'm pretty sure Ralph is using his Oppo 103D as his main BR player.
post #9 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1413
Is this one slated for a UHD Bluray release? It seems like it would make a good reference movie for resolution / image quality.
post #10 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
post #11 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
@Ralph Potts Great review, I am looking forward to seeing this one.
Do you have a rating for Low Frequency Extension for this one?
Greetings,

Yes. Sorry about that, I meant to include it. The review has been updated to reflect it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Thanks Ralph for the excellent review.. Was not planning to purchase it but placed an order based on the atmos part of your review.

My 7.10.4 home theater
Speakers: 3 JTR 212HTR (LCR), 2 Jtr Single 8LP (S), 2 JTR Triple 12LF (SB)) , 4 Volt 10LX (Atmos)
Subwoofers: 10 Sealed UXL-18, 5 Crowson Shadow 8 transducers, 3 Buttkicker LFE
Display: JVC RS400
post #13 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Hi Ralph, between The Walk and Everest, which one would you consider to be the more engaging and immersive experience in terms of the 3D presentation and the surround mix?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I only watched Everest in 2D and it's a sharp transfer. So sharp that I wonder how much sharper could 4K be. After all these years, the studios have finally known how to milk every ounce out of AVC to make sharp BR transfers.
I rip my Blu-rays into mkv at 15-17 Mpbs.

I am still struggling to find PQ difference between the Blu-ray and the rip even on a 100" screen. Shows bit rate beyond a number gets into diminishing returns territory

Blu-ray : 340
post #15 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
I rip my Blu-rays into mkv at 15-17 Mpbs.

I am still struggling to find PQ difference between the Blu-ray and the rip even on a 100" screen. Shows bit rate beyond a number gets into diminishing returns territory
May I ask why you do not do 1:1 MKV rip? Is it because of more storage space needed?
post #16 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You nailed it Ralph.

This was a very involving experience in the theater in IMAX 3D. Triumphant and tragic in equal proportions. Great story telling. A must buy for me. The experience stuck with me for days after as well.

I went to the theater that day not expecting to be bowled over, I was wrong.
post #17 of 81 Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I watched the 2D version after the trailer teaser. It looked like one of those "vertical limit" type of movies in the trailer but it wasn't, it was just regular acting no action no special effects a man with a camera shooting people talking, don't know due to a limited movie budget or they just want to make it look like real events, A very idiotic scene caught my eyes when the lady was trying to hold the walke talke against the phone microphone, she held it to the speakerphone instead, I was LMAO.
post #18 of 81 Old 01-05-2016, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
I watched the 2D version after the trailer teaser. It looked like one of those "vertical limit" type of movies in the trailer but it wasn't, it was just regular acting no action no special effects a man with a camera shooting people talking, don't know due to a limited movie budget or they just want to make it look like real events, A very idiotic scene caught my eyes when the lady was trying to hold the walke talke against the phone microphone, she held it to the speakerphone instead, I was LMAO.
The scene with the radio and the phone looked fine to me in the theatres, as the radio had to be physically moved between the speaker and the microphone on the phone handset.

What kind of special effects were you expecting?
post #19 of 81 Old 01-05-2016, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3682 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
Thanks for review Ralph will be picking this up

Frank

God Bless!.
A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work
post #20 of 81 Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorik View Post
The scene with the radio and the phone looked fine to me in the theatres, as the radio had to be physically moved between the speaker and the microphone on the phone handset.

What kind of special effects were you expecting?

Very confusing isn't it, just watch it again you'll see what I'm talking about.
post #21 of 81 Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I watched this a few weeks back and found the movie itself to be fairly mediocre. Not a single character was likeable and, as perhaps my username implies, I found myself rooting for the mountain. I would advise all to pass on this, except that the surround presentation was amazing, even though I found the LFE to be a little anemic. In short, if you have a solid HT setup, rent this once for the sweet surround effects, than cast this turd to the rubbish heap where it belongs.

post #22 of 81 Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Hi Ralph, between The Walk and Everest, which one would you consider to be the more engaging and immersive experience in terms of the 3D presentation and the surround mix?
Greetings,

The Walk for the 3D experience and Everest for the surround mix. If I had to be pinned down for one over the other for a total viewing/listening experience I would have to go with Everest.

Regards,
Toe and Bladerunner1959 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #23 of 81 Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph. I have been intrigued by this movie since it came out (haven't seen it) and it looks like it will make a worthy addition to the collection.

I have an Atmos question for you though. You have Axiom QS8 speakers for surround duty, but how do they fair with Atmos material when Dolby wants monopole speakers all around? If you want to keep my off-topic question out of this discussion, just give me your thoughts in a PM. Thanks Sir.
Greetings,

Dolby's standards are recommendations that don't have to be strictly applied. I have found that various setups can work equally well if not better. As for the QS8's they produce excellent sound and imaging that I have find compliments the Atmos experience in my room.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 81 Old 01-06-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Dolby's standards are recommendations that don't have to be strictly applied. I have found that various setups can work equally well if not better. As for the QS8's they produce excellent sound and imaging that I have find compliments the Atmos experience in my room.

Regards,
I know that at CEDIA 2014 and 2015 everyone was that was talking about it in their demo rooms was saying "monopole," so I bought 4 monopole surrounds and boxed up my 4 QS8s with plans to sell them and get 4 more monopoles for ceiling duty. After reading and watching more from Anthony Grimani in the past few days, and now your comments, I may yet use the QS8s for some duty in an Atmos/DTS:X configuration yet.

Thanks for the slight topic derailment.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #25 of 81 Old 01-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
... Extra points, Ralph, for using the word "eschew." I used it recently in a comment somewhere and was wondering if anyone uses that word anymore. Now I see that there are at least two of us.
I tend to eschew the use of the word "eschew". Ok, sorry, I can hear the groans; that was pretty bad.

Thanks much Ralph for this review. Having a little adrenalin and adventure junkie in my veins makes me anxious to see this. I sooo would have loved to have seen it in {true} IMAX 3D. I'm not clear on whether the original footage was shot/created at true IMAX resolutions or not but it sounds like there's at least a lot of 4K footage and that can scale to IMAX quite well. Either way I look forward to this one. And glad to see there are some new/recent films coming out worthy to put your latest equipment through its paces. I'll be watching for your impressions The Martian soon as well.

Now if everyone will eschew me, I've some bad puns to write...
post #26 of 81 Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Ralph, you can't give extra video points just because your RS500 looks so good.

Just kidding, great review, I am really looking forward to this one.
post #27 of 81 Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I know that at CEDIA 2014 and 2015 everyone was that was talking about it in their demo rooms was saying "monopole," so I bought 4 monopole surrounds and boxed up my 4 QS8s with plans to sell them and get 4 more monopoles for ceiling duty. After reading and watching more from Anthony Grimani in the past few days, and now your comments, I may yet use the QS8s for some duty in an Atmos/DTS:X configuration yet.

Thanks for the slight topic derailment.
I just wrestled with this same dilemma. I was running QS8's for side rears and opted to replace them with Volt 10's when I made the move to Atmos. I loved the QS8's, but they were so diffuse, I think it really hurts the soundfield with Atmos.

I wonder in Ralphs reviews sometimes when he mentions the lack of Atmos activity; if the QS8 quadpolar design isn't detracting from the overall effect that Atmos brings to the table.
Ralph Potts likes this.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #28 of 81 Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Wasn't considering this until this review. How can I resist a 100 audio, 100 video(2d) and a 96 Atmos score. I can't.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Nabs17
post #29 of 81 Old 01-08-2016, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post
I just wrestled with this same dilemma. I was running QS8's for side rears and opted to replace them with Volt 10's when I made the move to Atmos. I loved the QS8's, but they were so diffuse, I think it really hurts the soundfield with Atmos.

I wonder in Ralphs reviews sometimes when he mentions the lack of Atmos activity; if the QS8 quadpolar design isn't detracting from the overall effect that Atmos brings to the table.
Greetings,

Thanks for your post bass addict. In general my comments related to a distinct lack of Atmos activity in a mix corresponds to what I hear or don't hear with respect to the 3D/Dome effect. I have no problem discerning the reproduction/placement of audio objects placed in the listening plane at ear level in my room. The blend between the QS8's (side surrounds) and monopole in-walls (rear surrounds) in my room is excellent.

FYI - I ran a set of monopole's in place of the QS8's as an experiment after setting up Atmos and found that I much preferred the sound reproduction of the QS8s. Depending on the room/placement everyone's mileage may vary.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #30 of 81 Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked: 8061
Great review Ralph! I saw this on in 3D in theaters while visiting Hawaii for work and absolutely loved it! One of my favorites of the year, and that was unexpected as the trailers didn't do much for me. Really looking forward to checking this one out at home, especially with the Atmos soundtrack!
Ralph Potts likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dolby atmos ~ 96 , dolby truehd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page