Bridge of Spies Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I concur with kbuzz that it's a good but not great movie. It feels lightweight for the subject matter it portraits. Rylance's performance pushes this film up a notch or two from being a pop corn spy thriller but Hanks is still being Hanks and likewise Spielberg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 02-19-2016, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I concur with kbuzz that it's a good but not great movie. It feels lightweight for the subject matter it portraits. Rylance's performance pushes this film up a notch or two from being a pop corn spy thriller but Hanks is still being Hanks and likewise Spielberg.
That's about it in a nutshell. This movie was good but it could have been great with a couple of changes. Casting another actor for Hanks which would have given the movie more dramatic weight (and not making the CIA look like bumbling fools in an attempt to make Hanks look more like a hero) and Speilberg has to stop with the schmaltz in his movies where it doesn't belong. There was no need to to make it sappy at the end and the lighthearted musical score that made it worse. Felt like a TV movie of the week at the end. The subject matter demanded more respect than that. And more should have been done with the character development of the American captives. They seemed anonymous and you didn't care if they returned home because you didn't really know them. The captured student literally had less than 5 minutes of screen time and we are supposed to care about his return? Strangely enough he made the Soviet agent much more endearing and sympathetic.

I generally like Speilberg as a filmmaker in the technical aspects but there are 3 movies that he has ever made that didn't have the sappy ending. Jaws, Duel and Munich which are my 3 favorite movies of his. He couldn't even resist pouring syrup at the end of a movie like Schindler's List with Neeson's uncharacteristic speech at the end which didn't need it and was a ham fisted attempt to tug at our heart strings when the entire movie was doing this just by it's subject matter.

The A\V presentataion was steller. The video may have been muted in colors stylistically but it had a rich and film like presentation and exhibited good depth. This is exactly how a picture should look like when using earthy tones. This was everything that Spectre should have been in picture quality (since they seemed to share the same restrained style) but was not and watching Bridge of Spies just shows how inferior Spectre's video is in comparison.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 02-19-2016 at 10:15 AM.
post #33 of 39 Old 02-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
There was no need to to make it sappy at the end and the lighthearted musical score that made it worse.
That's true and I call this a split personality movie. It starts out as a spy thriller then turns into a bit of court room drama with a bit of cold war documentary thrown in. And then it suddenly moves to East and West Berlin as a film noir with a bit of Mississippi Burning that concludes with a sappy ending. There are just too many things throwing into one. At the end, I thought maybe I should have gotten my 9 year son to watch it with me. He'll be able to understand and enjoy this movie while learning some cold war history in the process. That is the problem with this film.

Last edited by darklord700; 02-19-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
That's true and I call this a split personality movie. It starts out as a spy thriller then turns into a bit of court room drama with a bit of cold war documentary about the U2 spy plane. And then it suddenly moves to East and West Berlin as a film noir with a bit of Mississippi Burning that concludes with a sappy ending. There are just too many things throwing into one. At the end, I thought maybe I should have gotten my 9 year son to watch it with me. He'll be able to understand and enjoy this movie while learning some cold war history in the process. That is the problem with this film.
I agree. In the first few minutes of the movie, it had the same vibe as Munich which had me excited but then veered into every direction possible and became more of a Hank's vehicle at the expense of character development for the American hostages which would have gave the climax more weight.
post #35 of 39 Old 03-05-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked: 2218
I'll have to continue to watch this another day. This movie put me too sleep. It was going good then it just got boring, I guess. I'll have to go back and try and rewatch what I remember and continue from their.

Frank

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #36 of 39 Old 03-05-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble here but this film is good but not great. First of all, its another Tom Hanks saves the world job. You know, the one where he plays the "likable fella" which at this point in his career is really monotonous. Although this character fits his lack of acting depth. Bottom line: here he plays the same guy here that he plays in every movie. That is the fundamental flaw of the movie. By using hanks it takes all realism away and during the whole picture you know you are watching a movie and never actually believe anything is real is going on.

The good news is the acting by rylance as stated in the review. Its so good, it carries the movie and incidentally underscores Hanks suckiness.

Four words if you are looking for a good spy cold war thriller. Tinker tinker solider spy
My initial impression of Tom Hanks as an actor was based on his earlier roles that were often comedic and shallow. That is far from the actor he has become. I have to disagree with your opinion of him as an actor. With movies like Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile and Apollo 13 (just to name a few) -- Hanks has shown his acting chops.

On to the movie. IMHO, it was very well done including character development, time period rendition and the true story it told. It's more of a slow burn but still with palpable tension. If you're old enough, it does bring back memories of The Cold War and that time period.

Now - TTSS was a great movie in its own right -- no debate from me. But these are two different types of "Spy Tales" that can each be enjoyed for the stories they tell.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #37 of 39 Old 03-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
My initial impression of Tom Hanks as an actor was based on his earlier roles that were often comedic and shallow. That is far from the actor he has become. I have to disagree with your opinion of him as an actor. With movies like Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile and Apollo 13 (just to name a few) -- Hanks has shown his acting chops.

On to the movie. IMHO, it was very well done including character development, time period rendition and the true story it told. It's more of a slow burn but still with palpable tension. If you're old enough, it does bring back memories of The Cold War and that time period.

Now - TTSS was a great movie in its own right -- no debate from me. But these are two different types of "Spy Tales" that can each be enjoyed for the stories they tell.
Agreed on your take of Hanks as an Actor. When you get right down to it, Hanks may very well be the male Streep. His resume of movies is very diverse. From Big to Forest Gump to Saving Private Ryan to Apollo 13 to Castaway to Toy Story. It is hard to name another actor with as diverse of a portfolio and as much success. Try it. Every time you come up with a counterpoint from some other actor, there's another Hanks movie counterpoint that one.

As for this movie, I thought it was pretty well done. I liked Rylance. The bond between him and Hanks was real. I don't think an insurance lawyer is an overly interesting character to start with beyond his John Adams like loyalty to the law. What surprised me the most is the parallels to the events of today. Today, it's our data on our cell phones, yesterday it was personal property; but the parallels of security versus privacy came across as just as real then as they are now.

The spouse dynamic, while stereotypical of a 1950s house wife, was effective. The final scene sums up her doubt, guilt and appreciation for Hank's character in one 20 second clip. I thought it was effective and probably played no small role in her husband's future success in Cuba. Cutting it to the floor, makes Hank's character less human and minimizes the true costs/risks to his actions.

I enjoyed the movie. Recommend it to anyone that is a fan of cold war era movies. Wasn't as politically dramatic as say 13 Days or Missiles of October but it was far more human than those films. Somewhere in the middle of those and say J Edgar.
post #38 of 39 Old 03-06-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kressilac View Post
Agreed on your take of Hanks as an Actor. When you get right down to it, Hanks may very well be the male Streep. His resume of movies is very diverse. From Big to Forest Gump to Saving Private Ryan to Apollo 13 to Castaway to Toy Story. It is hard to name another actor with as diverse of a portfolio and as much success. Try it. Every time you come up with a counterpoint from some other actor, there's another Hanks movie counterpoint that one.

As for this movie, I thought it was pretty well done. I liked Rylance. The bond between him and Hanks was real. I don't think an insurance lawyer is an overly interesting character to start with beyond his John Adams like loyalty to the law. What surprised me the most is the parallels to the events of today. Today, it's our data on our cell phones, yesterday it was personal property; but the parallels of security versus privacy came across as just as real then as they are now.

The spouse dynamic, while stereotypical of a 1950s house wife, was effective. The final scene sums up her doubt, guilt and appreciation for Hank's character in one 20 second clip. I thought it was effective and probably played no small role in her husband's future success in Cuba. Cutting it to the floor, makes Hank's character less human and minimizes the true costs/risks to his actions.

I enjoyed the movie. Recommend it to anyone that is a fan of cold war era movies. Wasn't as politically dramatic as say 13 Days or Missiles of October but it was far more human than those films. Somewhere in the middle of those and say J Edgar.
Good observations - well written. Rylance carried a lot of this movie. Certainly not as gripping as Tinker Tailor Solider Spy or even Munich - - but still entertaining. Movies like this and more real life stories like John Adams take time to develop and can be boring to some viewers. Real history can be boring. One thing that is affirmed in this movie - - politics makes strange bedfellows.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #39 of 39 Old 03-07-2016, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
great movie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version