Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #31 of 81 Old 03-03-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12490 Post(s)
Liked: 11671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
so i just noticed on Amazon that they say The Revenant will come out on UHD as well! Can anyone confirm anything?
Its already up for pre-order at bestbuy.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 Old 03-03-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Yeap, BB had them in a different part of the store. Must say, this is very exciting.

Hard to imagine The Martian can get any better than it already is on Bluray, though.

Oh, and they were out of 4K Samsung players. Of course.
post #33 of 81 Old 03-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
I am optimistic based upon what I have seen so far and hope that as the year progresses we see more support from hardware manufacturers and quality release from the supporting studios.
Sadly, they've just announced The Force Awakens Bluray release with zero word about UHD Bluray. Which is very disappointing, such a high profile release (THE highest profile?) would have been a great kickstart to the format. Then again, following the Samsung player thread, I feel this tech is not yet ready for mainstream with all of the handshake/hdcp issues and issues like the unplayable menu screen. So I guess its okay that no one is in a hurry to push it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 81 Old 03-03-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
so i just noticed on Amazon that they say The Revenant will come out on UHD as well! Can anyone confirm anything?
you can actually pre-order it now from bestbuy.com and has an April 19th release!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-reve...&skuId=5059600

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #35 of 81 Old 03-03-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Yeap, BB had them in a different part of the store. Must say, this is very exciting.

Hard to imagine The Martian can get any better than it already is on Bluray, though.

Oh, and they were out of 4K Samsung players. Of course.

overall, its definitely better. Theres some reviews of it and the reviewers took note of all the improvements, mostly the color and contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post
Sadly, they've just announced The Force Awakens Bluray release with zero word about UHD Bluray. Which is very disappointing, such a high profile release (THE highest profile?) would have been a great kickstart to the format. Then again, following the Samsung player thread, I feel this tech is not yet ready for mainstream with all of the handshake/hdcp issues and issues like the unplayable menu screen. So I guess its okay that no one is in a hurry to push it.

Have no fear, the 4k HDR version is on its way according to one of the films creators! JJ Abrams is actually a big fan of the new HDR format according to him.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...s-films-867387
galonzo likes this.

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #36 of 81 Old 03-03-2016, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Great job Ralph.
Ralph Potts and gonzalc3 like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
post #37 of 81 Old 03-04-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
congratulations Ralph.

I think many of us avs videophiles would love to see the calibration reports from this brave new setup.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #38 of 81 Old 03-05-2016, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 5739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
congratulations Ralph.

I think many of us avs videophiles would love to see the calibration reports from this brave new setup.

Greetings,

Me as well mo! Once calibration tools are available we all look forward to dialing things in. More to come..

Regards,
mo949 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #39 of 81 Old 03-05-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Awesome reviews

I would flip the 1 and 2. Everyone is different and that's why we can leave comments.

Smurfs 2 is in another league all around and Mad Max is one of my favorite movies and for me to pick Smurfs over it it makes me twitch.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #40 of 81 Old 03-05-2016, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMul1 View Post
Awesome reviews

I would flip the 1 and 2. Everyone is different and that's why we can leave comments.

Smurfs 2 is in another league all around and Mad Max is one of my favorite movies and for me to pick Smurfs over it it makes me twitch.
Greetings,

I essentially agree that it was close enough that it could have gone either way. Decisions decisions...

Regards,
MarkMul1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #41 of 81 Old 03-05-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ralph's just a Smurfist...he doesn't like blue people!
Ralph Potts and MarkMul1 like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
post #42 of 81 Old 03-07-2016, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Great job as usual Ralph! Your my first go to for reviews. My favorite UHD disc so far is Mad max Fury Road. I was in amazement watching it on my set-up vs the 3D version which I really enjoyed but now prefer the 4K HDR version. I'm also getting ready to set an appointment up to get my Samsung JS8500 calibrated for HDR
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #43 of 81 Old 03-07-2016, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
Great job as usual Ralph! Your my first go to for reviews. My favorite UHD disc so far is Mad max Fury Road. I was in amazement watching it on my set-up vs the 3D version which I really enjoyed but now prefer the 4K HDR version. I'm also getting ready to set an appointment up to get my Samsung JS8500 calibrated for HDR
Greetings,

Sweet! Best of luck and I am glad you're enjoying UHD!

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #44 of 81 Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan View Post
Interesting that the highest rated film in the bunch was shot and edited in 2.5k, sounds like we have to up our standards if that got 5 stars for resolution. Can't wait to see films like the Dark knight (and Rises) that were shot or scanned at 4k plus resolution, and then retained taht resolution all the way through post (A rarity).
True but Mad Max looks and sounds amazing. I also have Salt which is all 4k.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #45 of 81 Old 03-09-2016, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I find the UHD disc reviews interesting (man, they couldn't have thought of a worse name for the format than the official name "4K UHD Blu-ray" the UHD discs don't play in Blu-ray disc players, none of them should actually contain 4K content either). Bit I am also troubled by the fact that most of the movies released so far come from movies with 2K intermediates, including The Martian. This includes all titles from Warner and Fox so far and some titles from Lionsgate. Sony titles are all from 4K intermediates (so far) and some Lionsgate titles had 4K intermediates (IMBD lists the camera resolution(s) and intermediate resolution). So what would be ESPECIALLY illuminating is not just an evaluation of how the movie looks, but how does the UHD disc look compared to the HD Blu-ray version (see the dumb format name now means you can't just say Blu-ray and have it automatically understood what format you are talking about. If the industry was smart, they would have used DVD 2.0 for Blu-ray, DVD 3.0 for HD 3D discs, and DVD 4.0 for UHD discs along with the color coded boxes)? This would be especially interesting to know when the movie had a 2K intermediate. The amount of work that goes into producing a 2K intermediate is considerable and is very costly. There's no budget to go back and create a new 4K intermediate for UHD discs because that would mean doing the whole movie over again... combine 4K or higher live action with 4K or higher SFX, color grading, editing, everything and anything done to the 2K intermediate would have to be replicated in the 4K intermediate... it's just too expensive to do that for a disc release. So as good as the Fury Road UHD disc might look, the real burning question is how much better does it look than the HD Blu-ray version? Yes, I know, HDR discs might be impossible to compare because the appearance of an HDR disc is going to be too radically different when comparing it to an HD Blu-ray. But at least the non-HDR UHD discs with 2K intermediates could be compared to the HD Blu-ray version to see if the studio really did produce something with more resolution than the 2K intermediate. Warner Bros. released a statement claiming that even though 2K intermediates were used, that they used techniques to enhance resolution and the discs justify the UHD name. But it read like some marketing guy dancing around the truth. The statement never came right out and said whether the UHD discs were legitimately UHD resolution or not. I don't know of any techniques to make a 2K intermediate look like a 4K intermediate. Anyway... any chance some of the UHD discs from Warner or Fox could be compared to the Blu-ray version if any of them are non-HDR (i.e. SDR)? I'm wondering because I haven't gone for the Samsung UHD player yet (only one that seems to be available right now). If the 2K intermediates are going to minimize differences between UHD and Blu-ray versions (without considering HDR of course), it's going to be a while before there are enough "real" UHD titles out there to make the format worth spending money on.
post #46 of 81 Old 03-09-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Doug,

One of the issues of doing a quick comparison is the the sync times on the JVC are poisonously slow. Furthermore, you have to change picture modes, which is a separate gamma curve...in total, the quick switch takes about 60 seconds to do! I'd love to get 2 65" flat panels side by side in order to direct comparisons.

I've personally noticed on The Martian, that the resolution is improved. Writing is a bit more legible, but it's not a massive difference. The colors are deeper and have more pop on the UHD version, but it's hard to tell if they're accurate or not because of no test patterns for calibration (yet). The UHD versions do look better than the BD versions (even with the 2K DI's), but I don't think the resolution is the selling point, it's the expanded color palette.

post #47 of 81 Old 03-10-2016, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Doug,

One of the issues of doing a quick comparison is the the sync times on the JVC are poisonously slow. Furthermore, you have to change picture modes, which is a separate gamma curve...in total, the quick switch takes about 60 seconds to do! I'd love to get 2 65" flat panels side by side in order to direct comparisons.

I've personally noticed on The Martian, that the resolution is improved. Writing is a bit more legible, but it's not a massive difference. The colors are deeper and have more pop on the UHD version, but it's hard to tell if they're accurate or not because of no test patterns for calibration (yet). The UHD versions do look better than the BD versions (even with the 2K DI's), but I don't think the resolution is the selling point, it's the expanded color palette.
Greetings,

I would agree. As for non HDR encoded discs, I haven't run across a UHD Blu-ray/SDR encoding. Since HDR is one of the formats selling points I can't see a release that wouldn't support it.

All of this is till very new. Once we obtain some proper tools for calibration it will level the viewing playing field.

Regards,
dnoonie likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #48 of 81 Old 04-25-2016, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I would agree. As for non HDR encoded discs, I haven't run across a UHD Blu-ray/SDR encoding. Since HDR is one of the formats selling points I can't see a release that wouldn't support it.

All of this is till very new. Once we obtain some proper tools for calibration it will level the viewing playing field.

Regards,
Well, I even thought that it was a format standard, but apparently that's not the case.

Anyhow. I was dubious with that new format, but got the K8500 this W-E that I hooked up to my Sony 55X8509C, what a shock !

Even though my tv is only receiving 10 bits but the screen is 8bits, the difference is HUGE, mainly thanks to HDR and the large color palette / contrast it gives.

Got Kingsman, Life of Pi, Mad Max, The Martian, and San Andreas for the moment.

I'd say San Andreas is the least jaw droppping from what I've seen.

But overall, I'd say the only times i've seen a picture that good was during real IMAX screenings.

Will read your reviews ralph, like I used to with standard Blu Rays. Keep up the good job
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony 55X8509C, Samsung UBD-8500, Sony BDP-S790, Toshiba EP-35, Panasonic DMP-BD60 (Zone A)
Denon AVR X3000, Focal 716V + CC700V + Sib XXL + Eltax Impact 8.2 // Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10
http://joreviews.wordpress.com/
post #49 of 81 Old 04-26-2016, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokh1985 View Post
Well, I even thought that it was a format standard, but apparently that's not the case.

Anyhow. I was dubious with that new format, but got the K8500 this W-E that I hooked up to my Sony 55X8509C, what a shock !

Even though my tv is only receiving 10 bits but the screen is 8bits, the difference is HUGE, mainly thanks to HDR and the large color palette / contrast it gives.

Got Kingsman, Life of Pi, Mad Max, The Martian, and San Andreas for the moment.

I'd say San Andreas is the least jaw droppping from what I've seen.

But overall, I'd say the only times i've seen a picture that good was during real IMAX screenings.

Will read your reviews ralph, like I used to with standard Blu Rays. Keep up the good job
Greetings,

Great! Thanks..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #50 of 81 Old 10-05-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
OPPO is preparing to enter the UHD arena...I won't be far behind!
Ralph Potts and gwsat like this.
post #51 of 81 Old 10-12-2016, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hello Ralph et al,

Always enjoy reading your trusted reviews.

I would like your opinion of HDR10 (or Dolby) vs Propietary Manufacturer HDR implementations.

I've got a 2014 Sony 65x950B that has a phenomenal picture to my eyes. However it uses Sony's propietary X-Tended Range Pro HDR. It will not apparently be supporting HDR10 or Dolby.

At some point I'll be getting a UHD 4K Player - but will build up my library first. I'll get the other benefits of UHD (resolution and sound) but not the HDR as intended by the filmmaker (right?).

So what's your opinion, if you have one, on how native vs proprietary HDR will compare?

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by boondongle; 10-12-2016 at 12:33 PM.
post #52 of 81 Old 10-21-2016, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondongle View Post
Hello Ralph et al,

Always enjoy reading your trusted reviews.

I would like your opinion of HDR10 (or Dolby) vs Propietary Manufacturer HDR implementations.

I've got a 2014 Sony 65x950B that has a phenomenal picture to my eyes. However it uses Sony's propietary X-Tended Range Pro HDR. It will not apparently be supporting HDR10 or Dolby.

At some point I'll be getting a UHD 4K Player - but will build up my library first. I'll get the other benefits of UHD (resolution and sound) but not the HDR as intended by the filmmaker (right?).

So what's your opinion, if you have one, on how native vs proprietary HDR will compare?

Thanks,
Shawn
HDR has no native standard, no owner whatsoever, it's just a video processing. Anybody do it the way they like it. I actually own a proprietary HDR processing as well, without metadata.
boondongle likes this.
post #53 of 81 Old 11-18-2016, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So far I have Batman vs Superman and Xmen. Looking to make my list bigger. I use my xbox one S as the 4k player
post #54 of 81 Old 11-21-2016, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the great reviews Ralph! Just wondering if there are any plans on reviewing Man of Steel in 4k UHD? I'm undecided if I should upgrade my blu-ray.
post #55 of 81 Old 11-21-2016, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv-O View Post
Thanks for the great reviews Ralph! Just wondering if there are any plans on reviewing Man of Steel in 4k UHD? I'm undecided if I should upgrade my blu-ray.
Greetings,

Thanks Marv.

I don't have plans for coverage, however I have heard good things about it from others. If you really like the movie then I would say, go for it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #56 of 81 Old 11-23-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Just as an FYI for everyone, Best Buy is currently showing pricing for almost all but the newest UHD releases at $19.99 for the holiday weekend.
I'm definitely talking advantage of this.
Ralph Potts likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #57 of 81 Old 12-01-2016, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Do all UHD blurays that are produced with HDR have HDR? Or are there multiple productions, such that HDR is only available on some of them. I cant figure out how to tell whether it has HDR unless its visible on the box image.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #58 of 81 Old 12-07-2016, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
What is the test display of the reviewer to do reviews of UHD blu-rays? ZD9 or E6/B6?
post #59 of 81 Old 12-16-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Thank you so much for all the info, as a new 4k display owner and I believe my wife is giving me a 4k player for christmas I will be keeping an eye on this thread for your expert reviews!
Ralph Potts likes this.

I work to live and live for the beach.
Amateur HT enthusiast.
Samsung 65KS8500/Onkyo 656 AVR, Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos, SVS primes,
Sharp Quatron 3D 60" Onkyo 705 Bonus room
Sharp Quatron 60" Bedroom
post #60 of 81 Old 04-26-2017, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hurry up and Wait

Spend a ton of money for 4k hdr, atmos, dtsx system, and next thing you know it will be July for the next 4k atmos movie I want to see(Kong) and after that it's even bleaker...........WTF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page