Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 81 Old 04-29-2017, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 508
UHD Blu-ray Billy Lynn's Long Half Time Walk

Just picked up an UHD Blu-ray player and was peeping at that version, I wanted to see just what 60fps looked like.
Looked pretty much the same as if someone had cranked up the Frame Interpolation to the max, it looked like DimtriRender but with no halo artifacts, not that DR is bad for halo artifacts.
Right before they all get into the limo, look at the trees in the back ground, the UHD version makes the trees look real, the regular Blu-ray suffers here a lot, there just isn't the fine detail to render the leaves and branches properly. What makes it even worse is the low frame rate of the Blu-ray, it's an absolute mess.

Another scene where the high frame rate cleans things up is the pan of the head stones _ nice and clean.
Again, the Blu-ray is an just a mess here. The low frame rate causes the stones to flicker _ I had to look away.

Like, really, the director intended it to be that way _ a big juddery mess, I don't how any one can tolerate that.

Even if the story is bad, I don't care, I'm really looking forward to watching this at 60fps at 4K _ no more fuzzy tree leaves !
Ralph Potts likes this.
JeffR1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 81 Old 04-30-2017, 06:35 AM
Senior Member
 
jphillips63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Ralph,

Is there any chance of you putting together a tiered list of UHD movies as you had done with the Bluray editions?
I've upgraded my AVR, TV and UHD player and now I'm seeking the absolute best of the best UHD movies available. Your list of the bluray movies was of great use over the years. So I'm hopeful that you'll do the same for the UHD movies now.

James

Last edited by jphillips63; 04-30-2017 at 06:45 AM.
jphillips63 is offline  
post #63 of 81 Old 04-30-2017, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 13,844
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips63 View Post
Ralph,

Is there any chance of you putting together a tiered list of UHD movies as you had done with the Bluray editions?
I've upgraded my AVR, TV and UHD player and now I'm seeking the absolute best of the best UHD movies available. Your list of the bluray movies was of great use over the years. So I'm hopeful that you'll do the same for the UHD movies now.

James
Greetings,

I have been considering this James, and plan on putting a list together in the near future. Stay Tuned!


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
Ralph Potts is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 81 Old 05-20-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 508
"The Great Wall" UHD

Even though there doesn't seem to be a lot of great things said about "The Great Wall", I am looking forward to getting this in UHD.
Generally when the critics complain about a movie, I usually like them.

Even if the story is said to be shallow, I think the cinematography in 2160p will make up for any bad story lines.
Ralph Potts likes this.
JeffR1 is offline  
post #65 of 81 Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 13,844
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Even though there doesn't seem to be a lot of great things said about "The Great Wall", I am looking forward to getting this in UHD.
Generally when the critics complain about a movie, I usually like them.

Even if the story is said to be shallow, I think the cinematography in 2160p will make up for any bad story lines.

Greetings,

The Blu-ray review is posted..


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 05-21-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #66 of 81 Old 05-30-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,014
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
What are a few of the absolute best show piece 4K UHD discs? I see Planet Earth II got 100 PQ. I'm looking for something that has amazing demo quality. With great show off of HDR since I just got a new 75x940d which can get 3 times as bright as my OLED.
orvisg likes this.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
Teremei is offline  
post #67 of 81 Old 05-30-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,014
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
Great job as usual Ralph! Your my first go to for reviews. My favorite UHD disc so far is Mad max Fury Road. I was in amazement watching it on my set-up vs the 3D version which I really enjoyed but now prefer the 4K HDR version. I'm also getting ready to set an appointment up to get my Samsung JS8500 calibrated for HDR
Wow you really like the UHD version? I've heard a few people say the colors didn't pop as much as just the BD. That is def my favorite movie maybe I'll give it a try.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
Teremei is offline  
post #68 of 81 Old 05-30-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ThePrisoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,692
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
Great job as usual Ralph! Your my first go to for reviews. My favorite UHD disc so far is Mad max Fury Road. I was in amazement watching it on my set-up vs the 3D version which I really enjoyed but now prefer the 4K HDR version. I'm also getting ready to set an appointment up to get my Samsung JS8500 calibrated for HDR
Wow you really like the UHD version? I've heard a few people say the colors didn't pop as much as just the BD. That is def my favorite movie maybe I'll give it a try.
The UHD has a more earthy tone unlike the BD, which has a yellow tone. The HDR is questionable as a few effects, such as flames, look a little cartoonish to some. I enjoy the UHD a lot more.
ThePrisoner is offline  
post #69 of 81 Old 05-30-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,014
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
The UHD has a more earthy tone unlike the BD, which has a yellow tone. The HDR is questionable as a few effects, such as flames, look a little cartoonish to some. I enjoy the UHD a lot more.
I was at best buy and even the pics on the box look sort of earthy and more natural. I enjoy the oversaturated look so in my case, my BD+3D is probably the best version for me, which I already own. Now I'm just looking for something 4k with vibrant poppy colors and great HDR.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
Teremei is offline  
post #70 of 81 Old 06-04-2017, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
What are a few of the absolute best show piece 4K UHD discs? I see Planet Earth II got 100 PQ. I'm looking for something that has amazing demo quality. With great show off of HDR since I just got a new 75x940d which can get 3 times as bright as my OLED.
My projector doesn't have HDR, but I think the funeral scene from "The Great Wall" would be great.
JeffR1 is offline  
post #71 of 81 Old 06-06-2017, 03:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Westchestcher County NY
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hi, Ralph. I am a bit of a Johnny-come-lately and noob so pardon my question if it's been answered before.

First, thank you for your reviews and your hard work.

I just finished building a media room and have the Marantz 8802a along with 11 channels plus 2 subs. Among those are 4 ceiling speakers.

I've just started to buy UHD Bluray disks.

Should an Atmos disk say 7.1 or 11? Are the ceiling speakers not directional, if that's the right word, or discrete channels?

Also, I note the 8802a has two inputs (outputs?) for front height speakers that I'm currently not using.

Would an Atmos disk play out of all 13 if I were using those? If so, should the disk say 13.1 for the soundtrack?

I apologize if this is not the correct place to ask this question.

Thank you.
Mark
MDJAK is offline  
post #72 of 81 Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
Hi, Ralph. I am a bit of a Johnny-come-lately and noob so pardon my question if it's been answered before.

First, thank you for your reviews and your hard work.

I just finished building a media room and have the Marantz 8802a along with 11 channels plus 2 subs. Among those are 4 ceiling speakers.

I've just started to buy UHD Bluray disks.

Should an Atmos disk say 7.1 or 11? Are the ceiling speakers not directional, if that's the right word, or discrete channels?

Also, I note the 8802a has two inputs (outputs?) for front height speakers that I'm currently not using.

Would an Atmos disk play out of all 13 if I were using those? If so, should the disk say 13.1 for the soundtrack?

I apologize if this is not the correct place to ask this question.

Thank you.
Mark
Mark,

Your questions probably would be best asked in the thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...r-version.html which is a sticky at the top of the subforum https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ps-processors/
Ralph Potts likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #73 of 81 Old 06-06-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 13,844
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
Hi, Ralph. I am a bit of a Johnny-come-lately and noob so pardon my question if it's been answered before.

First, thank you for your reviews and your hard work.

I just finished building a media room and have the Marantz 8802a along with 11 channels plus 2 subs. Among those are 4 ceiling speakers.

I've just started to buy UHD Bluray disks.

Should an Atmos disk say 7.1 or 11? Are the ceiling speakers not directional, if that's the right word, or discrete channels?

Also, I note the 8802a has two inputs (outputs?) for front height speakers that I'm currently not using.

Would an Atmos disk play out of all 13 if I were using those? If so, should the disk say 13.1 for the soundtrack?

I apologize if this is not the correct place to ask this question.

Thank you.
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Mark,

Your questions probably would be best asked in the thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...r-version.html which is a sticky at the top of the subforum https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ps-processors/
Greetings,

Mark, Selden has provided the link to the thread that should address your questions. Let me know if I can be of any further help.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #74 of 81 Old 10-21-2017, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Overall - Disappointing so far

I went over and above (great price @ $1699) for an LG B6 OLED. I paired that with a XBox One S (quite a bit of XBox One and 360 content) for UHD HDR Playback. I also picked up a Vizio SB4451-C0 for surround. I picked a bunch of 4K UHD discs with Blu-Rays included: (All $20 or less so only a slight premium over Blu Ray alone)
Star Trek into Darkness
Lucy
John Wick 1
Hunger Games (no HDR)
Hunger Games Catching Fire (no HDR)
Bourne Identity
Of the 6 I watched only 2 (John Wick and Bourne Identity) showed noticeable differences between the Blu Ray and 4K UHD HDR versions of the films. That being said, the true test (for the non Videophile) is did my wife notice a difference and the answer is a resounding NO. The only time she has noticed a difference in video is the jump from a CRT to a 1080P LCD (way back in 2008) and when we went from 4K TV (a 2015 Vizio
M60-C3 with Full Array Local Dimming) to the LG OLED. It looks spectacular even when viewing upscaled 720P/1080P content. It actually makes lower quality video (480P or a bad 720 stream) look a little worse. So, for right now, 4K content still has a long way to go to make it worth the price premium that Hollywood wants for its content. I believe that 4K mastering is the way to go even they downscale it to a 1080P Blu Ray. If the average 4K UHD video comes down to under $20 that will make it more mainstream.
Jeff Goldman is offline  
post #75 of 81 Old 11-30-2017, 06:36 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,654
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Hi Ralph!

Was just curious if you had a reference list of the top 10 or 20 best looking UHD titles or something similar? I'm looking to add a few more titles (only have about 5 right now) and was just curious if you had a best of type list for PQ in particular?

Also, is there any sort of resource anywhere that you know of that gives the nits info on a title by title basis?
WOLVERNOLE and Ralph Potts like this.
Toe is online now  
post #76 of 81 Old 11-30-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,434
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 2098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Hi Ralph!

Was just curious if you had a reference list of the top 10 or 20 best looking UHD titles or something similar? I'm looking to add a few more titles (only have about 5 right now) and was just curious if you had a best of type list for PQ in particular?

Also, is there any sort of resource anywhere that you know of that gives the nits info on a title by title basis?

Ralph is already on it!


https://www.avsforum.com/best-uhd-blu-rays-2017/

There is a website that accurately lists nits...It came up as part of the intensity mapping discussion on the Lumagen Pro thread. I don't remember what the site is though.
Ralph Potts likes this.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #77 of 81 Old 11-30-2017, 07:21 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,654
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Ralph is already on it!


https://www.avsforum.com/best-uhd-blu-rays-2017/

There is a website that accurately lists nits...It came up as part of the intensity mapping discussion on the Lumagen Pro thread. I don't remember what the site is though.
Much appreciated my friend! Hoping I can track down Blade Runner at some point. I seem to keep missing it.

I'll track down that list on the Lumagen Pro thread. Thanks again.

Last edited by Toe; 11-30-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Toe is online now  
post #78 of 81 Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 13,844
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Hi Ralph!

Was just curious if you had a reference list of the top 10 or 20 best looking UHD titles or something similar? I'm looking to add a few more titles (only have about 5 right now) and was just curious if you had a best of type list for PQ in particular?

Also, is there any sort of resource anywhere that you know of that gives the nits info on a title by title basis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Ralph is already on it!


https://www.avsforum.com/best-uhd-blu-rays-2017/

There is a website that accurately lists nits...It came up as part of the intensity mapping discussion on the Lumagen Pro thread. I don't remember what the site is though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Much appreciated my friend! Hoping I can track down Blade Runner at some point. I seem to keep missing it.

I'll track down that list on the Lumagen Pro thread. Thanks again.

Greetings,

Hey guys, thanks for checking in. BB, thanks for the assist on Todd's question. I have recently been adding the NITS info on reviews (in the details section). I will also be posting my annual Best Blu-rays (2017) list next month. Stay tuned!


Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #79 of 81 Old 12-25-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,014
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Thanks for your work Ralph. Your numbered rating for just the picture aspect is very valuable and sets you apart to other reviews. I always look to your reviews to see if an UHD update to one of my favorite movies is worth buying.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
Teremei is offline  
post #80 of 81 Old 12-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Hi guys.. When buying an UHD movie how do I know if it was mastered at 1000 nits or 4000 nits.. I'm kind of guessing which curve I should be using for each movie I have one for 1000 and 4000 on my RS-520.. Thank you.
jorgebetancourt is offline  
post #81 of 81 Old 02-19-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo "ish"
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Snatched up a Sony X-800 while BB has the referb's, and even doing HDR to SD conversion, there is an absolute benefit between the UHD & BR versions.
Did a back and forth with Oblivion and Starship Troopers over the weekend, while Starship Troopers had it's hits and misses (most of the live action suffered, the CGI had a phenomenal look to it), Oblivion was really good overall, noticeably brighter and even extra colors, with a good subtle Atmos soundtrack.
Close Encounters and Serenity are up for next weekend.
Ralph Potts likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
ultra hd blu-ray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off