The Peanuts Movie Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Ralph Potts

post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2016, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 5897
The Peanuts Movie Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of this charming animated film that tells the story of Charlie Brown, the world’s most beloved underdog, as he embarks upon an epic and heroic quest, while his best pal, the lovable beagle Snoopy, takes to the skies to pursue his arch-nemesis, the Red Baron.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2015
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 88 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Directed by: Steve Martino
Music by: Christophe Beck
Written by: Craig Schulz, Bryan Schulz, Cornelius Uliano
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 8, 2016

"Dream Big"

My Take:

In The Peanuts Movie, good ol’ Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Lucy, Linus and the rest of the beloved Peanuts gang appear as you’ve never seen them before in a brand-new feature film from the imagination of Charles M. Schulz and the creators of Ice Age. Join everyone’s favorite eternal optimist, Charlie Brown, as he embarks on a heroic quest, while his beagle pal Snoopy takes to the skies to pursue his arch nemesis, the Red Baron. It’s a hilarious and heart-warming adventure!

Here is a bit of history on these beloved characters and their creator:

On October 2, 1950, Charles M. Schulz introduced the characters of Charlie Brown, Shermy and Patty in just seven newspapers, launching a 50-year journey for the cartoonist that forever changed the landscape of popular culture and humor. Schulz’s comic strip was hailed as one of the greatest of the twentieth century, and his characters launched a bona-fide industry, while providing a much-needed voice for the underdog, via Charlie Brown.

Charlie Brown holds a unique position in pop culture. He has the distinction of being the only PEANUTS character to appear in both the first comic strip on October 2 1950, and in the last strip on February 13, 2000. (Snoopy did not make an appearance until October 4, 1950).

Through all of life’s trials and tribulations—including a kite-eating tree, a losing baseball streak or the blunt advice of Lucy Van Pelt—Charlie Brown persevered. His eternal optimism gave us hope, which made him relatable to readers all over the world.

With a knack for social commentary, Charles M. Schulz created characters and storylines rich with wit, sarcasm, humor and heart. In the mid-1960s, he introduced the character of Peppermint Patty. A tomboy at heart, she excelled in sports. In the 21st century, that seems par for the course, but in the 1960s, the introduction of girls playing sports on the same team as boys was nearly a decade ahead of its time. A few years later, in 1968, Schulz introduced the first black character to the strip, Franklin, as a classmate and teammate of Peppermint Patty and Marcie.

The universal appeal of all PEANUTS characters—encompassing Charlie Brown’s eternal underdog status, Linus’ heart, Franklin’s philosophy, Marcie’s introspection, Lucy’s crabbiness, Sally’s unrequited affection for her Sweet Babboo Linus, and Snoopy’s many personas— is the reason the strip and its characters have remained relevant as PEANUTS celebrates its 65th anniversary this year.

The Peanuts Gang has become ingrained in our popular culture, touching our lives along the various points from childhood to adulthood. I am a fan and enjoyed the comics as well as the TV specials over the years. The Peanuts Movie pays homage not only to the characters and thematic essence of Peanuts but also to the spirit of "Sparky's" (Charles Schulz) vision. Watching the film feels much like visiting an old friend as it embodies the warmth, humor and nostalgia that accompanies such an experience. There isn't deep storytelling or overtly meaningful subtext but that clearly isn't what's intended. There is a contemporary aesthetic that brings the characters to life while preserving the soul of what makes them unique. The film speaks to its intended audience in a voice they can understand while offering their parents a rewarding glimpse back to a time when things were simpler.

The Peanuts Movie is a thoughtful, faithful big screen adaptation that brings these characters to life for new generations as well as old. It's not destined to be a cinematic classic but is sure to put a smile on the faces of those who appreciate it for what it is.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for general audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 78

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

For those not willing to refer to the article linked above, I have included some comments here. The implementation of High Dynamic Range or HDR (HDR10 is the system currently being utilized for Ultra HD home video releases, and in conjunction with that, display manufacturers) as it stands currently, doesn't appear to have exacting standards and no calibration tools to allow for a foundational threshold for setting up a visual system. This leaves us to do the best we can to determine what appears to be accurate, at least for the time being. With that in mind, my approach to reviewing Ultra HD Blu-ray will be to assess the elements observed which I find to generate the most significant visual impact when compared to standard high definition Blu-ray.

For me, HDR, with its broader spectrum of colors and emboldened highlights in the areas of contrast and brightness, is where the potential lies in the format. The increase in resolution, while an important component, isn't going to be definitive in every case, especially given that currently many of the Ultra HD Blu-ray releases are derived from 2K Digital Intermediates that are up-converted to 4K. This shouldn't be strictly construed to mean that such up-converted images won't look noticeably better than their 1080p counterparts. Conversely, a release finished on a 4K Digital Intermediate isn't a guarantee that it will be heads and shoulders above the rest. So, what can you expect to hear from me when discussing what I observed from Ultra HD Blu-ray? I will hit upon the things that struck me, the impact, or lack of impact, of HDR and the improvement, if any, in resolution when compared to 1080p Blu-ray. The outcome will be a rating as seen above.

Front projection for home theater is just stepping through the door with respect to the reproduction of HDR. My goal is to present readers with a reasonable expectation of what they can expect when viewing the same content that I have. There may be variables that differ slightly however I believe that in general the outcome will be close. As we are exposed to more and more content and calibration tools come onboard we will have better perspectives from which to gauge. Thanks for reading!

The Peanuts Movie comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 4.7 Mbps.

Having just reviewed The Peanuts Movie on Blu-ray it's rather pristine video quality is still fresh in my mind. Digital animation tends to look quite good in high definition so I couldn't help but have preconceived notions regarding a positive viewing experience of this film in Ultra HD. The Peanuts Movie in Ultra HD is rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. With the limited exposure to Ultra HD either sourced from 2K or 4K Digital Intermediates we are left to judge based upon what we have seen thus far. This being my first review of an animated Ultra HD title I wondered how wide the margins of improvement would be.

In terms of resolution the differences are apparent as there is a noticeably finer texture in the minutia especially in the characteristics/physical makeup of the characters. To a lesser degree this also applied to backgrounds which emphasized depth of field. The image has lots of pop as the expanded color gamut and emboldened dynamic range draw out the gorgeous chromatic palate and use of contrast. Whites are gradational and bright (the aerial sequences with the Red Baron look great) and the monochromatic grays, blues and black featured in the sequences with limited lighting are multi-staged and dimensional in appearance. As good as The Peanuts Movie looks in 1080p, the Ultra HD rendering, while not heads and shoulders above it, enhances its attributes, making for a visually stimulating and pleasing video presentation.

The Peanuts Movie represents 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment's first home video release to include a Dolby Atmos soundtrack (Woo Hoo!). In listening to the Dolby Atmos mix I found it to be of the laid back variety, which considering the source material, wasn't surprising. More isn’t always better and this soundtrack doesn't contain an overabundance of elements that would allow for a busier object based mix with respect to the overhead channels. In general its use of audio objects placed above is limited to atmospherics and occasional panning fills. I would say that where applied (Snoopy's aerial encounters are an example) it's done to good effect, coinciding with the onscreen events nicely.

As an enthusiast I appreciate a well-crafted sound mix that draws me into the onscreen elements, regardless of where the sounds are emanating from. This Atmos mix is fair, broadening the soundstage and incorporating point by point cues, both on and off camera. While it may have benefitted slightly from more active use of audio objects, I didn’t feel let down by it and ultimately enjoyed the presentation as a whole. My hope is to see more Dolby Atmos audio mixes on home video releases from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

Blu-ray Audio/Video:

Audio: 88

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Peanuts Movie comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This is a pristine and reference quality high definition presentation from Fox. The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the film’s animated subjects. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably dimensional. Fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture are clearly discernible. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. Colors are richly saturated, vibrant and beautifully rendered. Primaries are particularly vivid and exhibit visibly delineated stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Contrast is spot on as blacks are rich with deep highlights, whites and grays exhibit multi-layered depth and refined detail that give them excellent dimension.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack makes effective use of the surround platform and offers detail rich sonic clarity, and crystalline dialog reproduction. This mix doesn’t bombard you with aggressive surround sound. It applies it when appropriate and combines discretely placed directional cues with rear channel ambience that fills the listening area nicely. The front and rear sound field’s never collide but work in unison to render the soundtrack with precise imaging and acoustic placement. Dynamic range and bass response is appropriate, adding thematic emphasis and punch when called upon. This is a well-rounded audio presentation that mates well with the source material and sounds great.

Bonus Features:
  • The Peanuts Movie Ultra HD
  • The Peanuts Movie Blu-ray (plus bonus features)
  • (HD) Snoopy Snippets (6 segments)
  • (HD) You Never Grow Up Charlie Brown 3 segments totaling 30 minutes):
    1. From Panels to Screen
    2. Good 'Ol Charles Schulz & The Peanuts Gang
    3. We're in a Movie Charlie Brown
  • (HD) Snoopy's Sibling Salute – 2 minutes
  • (HD) Learn to Draw Snoopy
  • (HD) Learn to Draw Woodstock
  • (HD) Learn to Draw Charlie Brown
  • (HD) Get Down with Snoopy & Woodstock – Music Video
  • (HD) "Better When I'm Dancin'" – Meghan Trainor Lyric and Music videos
  • (HD) Behind-The-Scenes of "Better When I'm Dancin'"
  • (HD) Snoopy's Playlist
  • (HD) Gallery
  • (HD) Theatrical Trailers
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Peanuts Movie is a thoughtful, faithful big screen adaptation that brings these characters to life for new generations as well as old. . It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray pack from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring rewarding Ultra High Definition video, complimentary lossless surround sound, including a Dolby Atmos mix, and a fan friendly supplemental offering. As a fan I am very pleased to own this 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray release from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. Fans of The Peanuts Movie that are set up for Ultra HD Blu-ray may want to consider adding this to their video collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
IMO, the Schulz family did a brilliant job of bringing this beloved classic to the big screen. Hats off to Blue Sky Studios under the direction of Steve Martino!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-23-2016, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Ralph, thanks for the review. The plot does not really impressed me. It tells how Charlie Brown like to get the attention of the new girl in the class. For the audience of young kids, the plot is not appropriate, IMO. My wife and I watched with my son and both of us fell asleep. Recently, we also watched "the good dinosaur", which plot, IMO, is much better. The video and audio of the good dinosaur are also much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2016, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Watched it. My younger son (4) got some laughs out of it, but my older kids (8 and 10) didn't love it. The animation was neat, but the rehash of so many scenes of the prior iterations of Charlie Brown left me feeling like it was more a nostalgia trip, but brought nothing innovative and new to the table whatsoever for Charlie Brown. For kids movies coming out in this time frame, The Good Dinosaur is a much better alternative.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 283
The scenes with airplanes and the Red Baron must sound great with Atmos? I could head the planes flying over my head and I don't even have over head speakers in my setup...(yet).
post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2016, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Watched the movie a few days ago and agree with the ratings. The movie itself brought some good memories.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
bd-66 , dolby truehd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page