58Likes

post #1 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6095
The Revenant Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this Academy Award winning drama about a frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s that fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2015
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 156 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Domhnall Gleeson, Will Poulter
Directed by: Alejandro G. Inarritu
Written by: Alejandro G. Inarritu & Mark L. Smith based on the novel by Michael Punke
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 19, 2016

"Revenge is in God's hands"

My Take:

The Revenant follows the story of legendary explorer Hugh Glass (DiCaprio) on his quest for survival and justice. After a brutal bear attack, Glass is left for dead by a treacherous member of his hunting team. Against extraordinary odds, and enduring unimaginable grief, Glass battles a relentless winter in uncharted terrain.

I took in The Revenant during its theatrical run earlier this year. The film is based on the novel by Michael Punke and is based on a true story. From what I gather although primarily based on Glass the character and some of the events depicted in the film are a composite of more than one. Co-written by the film's director Alejandro G. Inarritu and Mark L. Smith The Revenant is epic in scope, drawing upon a dark narrative that encapsulates the early 1800's period depicted in the story, as it tells of a father's love, loss, struggle for survival and the indomitable power of the human spirit when motivated by the desire of revenge.

As I watched the film a second time my reaction to it was nearly identical to when I first saw it. In terms of story I found The Revenant to be good but not wholly gratifying. In context it's character driven which serves it well while the mix of frontier elements (adventure, peril, battling nature) is engaging to say the least. The subplots involving the French and the Indian Chief searching for his daughter didn't seem a cohesive fit, being seemingly interjected to add thematic tension and melodrama. True story or not I couldn’t help but find myself raising an eyebrow every time Glass managed to extricate himself from yet another impossible bid for survival.

Having said that I wouldn't want to give the impression that I found The Revenant lacking as a film experience. It's truly an amazing film to watch. From start to finish it's visually effecting, drawing you in with the vastness of its scope, high production elements, Emmanuel Lubezki's breathtaking cinematography, Alejandro G. Inarritu's masterful direction and compelling performances, highlighted by Leonardo DiCaprio's Oscar winning turn in the title role.

Taking home three Oscars including Best Actor, Best Director and Best Cinematography, The Revenant is a memorable and effecting film that for me rises to the top due to the total sum of its parts. In addition to the honors at the Academy Awards, it also garnered, three Golden Globes, five BAFTA Awards, a DGA Award for Best Director (Iñárritu) and SAG Award for Best Actor (DiCaprio). The Revenant is justly deserving of the accolades it has received and is among the most talked about films of the year.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong frontier combat and violence including gory images, a sexual assault, language and brief nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Revenant comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 Mbps.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a limited color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The color range is limited to shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson red and forest green hues. Warm golden accents are used throughout to break up the film’s monochromatic essence. This comes in the form of glowing firelight or alternating flesh tones that have lifelike complexional color as opposed to the ashen/blue that is predominant the majority of the time. What enhances the effect is its presence amidst the other dark blue/gray/black elements within the same shot. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Resolution is excellent as images are crisp, delineated and dimensionally strong. The visual design isn’t such that it offers high gloss, razor sharp quality but that doesn’t keep this presentation from looking great.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s thematic elements. Ryuichi Sakamoto’s music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and atmospheric sound effects, plays an intricate role in this sometimes active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is excellent. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the “sounds” of the frontier world it depicts. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I thoroughly enjoyed this audio presentation and found that it accentuated the feeling of “being there” while complimenting the film’s recorded elements.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) "A World Unseen": A Documentary of The Revenant – 44 minutes
  • (HD) Gallery
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel of the same name by Michael Punke The Revenant is an epic, award winning frontier adventure that rewards on multiple levels, including Alejandro G. Inarritu's masterful direction, Emmanuel Lubezki's superb cinematography, and Leonardo DiCaprio's compellingly committed performance. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring top notch high definition audio/video and a minimal but worthwhile documentary that offers an inside look at the making of the film. The Revenant is one of the most talked about films of the year and deserves serious consideration for inclusion in the video collections of film enthusiasts.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 01-22-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3281 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
Definitely will be buying this on a blind buy. Thanks for review

Frank
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #3 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanx Ralph !!!

Do will review the UHD Disc also ? What time
Ralph Potts and Tomcup like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk44 View Post
Thanx Ralph !!!

Do will review the UHD Disc also ? What time
Greetings,

I requested a review copy of the UHD version. I hope to receive it..

Regards,
Bladerunner1959 and Tomcup like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Can wait to read it !
Still 4 weeks to go for the movie in germany, but it the first fresh bummer filmed in 4k.
I hope it look that good on my 15" deeply curved at screen
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
AGGHHHH was hoping this would have been in Atmos!!! oh well still worth picking up though! As usual, great review!
Ralph Potts and AaronMK like this.
post #7 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Thanks as always Ralph. I absolutely loved this film in theaters. I can't remember another movie that gave me chills at the beautiful imagery.
Ralph Potts and markmathers like this.

JTR Speakers, RSL Atmos, Kaleidescape, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Marantz Processor, Emotiva Amps, JVC RS540
post #8 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 132
This one definitley needs an atmos track included. I saw the film at the AMC Prime/Dolby theater and the atmos was very active in the forest which was amazing! Hopefully the UHD version will offer more.
AaronMK likes this.

CG Lighting Artist for Walt Disney Animation Studios
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH AVR || Klipsch RF-7ii, RC-64ii, RS-62ii || SVS SB13U || Samsung UN55C8000 3DTV || XBone || X360e || N Wii U || N Switch || ATV 4k || Oppo 203
post #9 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"Having said that I would want to give the impression that I found The Revenant lacking as a film experience."

Great review as usual. Though the sentence above confused me. Did you mean to say "wouldn't"?

No 3d positional sound on the base or UHD release again saddens (and again a movie that had Atmos in theaters). Stupid studios.
Ralph Potts, Franin and AaronMK like this.
post #10 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratch42 View Post
"Having said that I would want to give the impression that I found The Revenant lacking as a film experience."

Great review as usual. Though the sentence above confused me. Did you mean to say "wouldn't"?

No 3d positional sound on the base or UHD release again saddens (and again a movie that had Atmos in theaters). Stupid studios.
Greetings,

YES! Thanks for catching that. It reads correctly now..

Regards,
Bladerunner1959 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Nice review Ralph! I didn't get a chance to catch this in theaters, so this will be a blind buy for me. Hopefully I will enjoy it.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Polk CS20Polk Tsi 500'sPolk Tsi 200'sDenon AVR 3300WSilver Ticket 92'' 16;9 White ScreenBenq HT2050 ProjectorXbox OneWii UPanasonic DMP-BDT 210SVS PB-4000Auralex MoPAD Paragon 4oz Theater Pop Popcorn MachineLogitech Harmony Elite
post #12 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the review Ralph. Will definitely blind buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #13 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 613
The bear scene alone makes this a must own.

- Jason
markmathers likes this.

HT = BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820 / Toshiba HD-A3
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #14 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I pre-ordered the uhd bd from amazon and should be receiving it tomorrow. Can't wait to watch this movie again.
Great review Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Looking forward to this one Ralph. My UHD version should be delivered tomorrow!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 531
I couldn't wait to see this and purchased the digital download as soon as was available.

That being said, it was a very good movie but I do not think great. The scenery was beautiful but to me it could have spent a bit more time in the editing room. The long treachery through the mountains and elements seem to go on and on to me. I think they could have taken 15 minutes or 20 minutes or so of this redundancy out of the film. We get it it was a bitch out there alone.

Very good film. I think I expected a tad more. Certainly worth a buy but a repeat view for me will be on occasion.

Rick
Ralph Potts and scottvamp like this.

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 04-18-2016 at 07:24 PM.
post #17 of 68 Old 04-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks Ralph, I too saw this at the theatre and found it to be completely engaging, if not a tad long!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #18 of 68 Old 04-19-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Even w/o the treatment of Atmos for this bluray, the use of DTS Neural:X already provided us with a very engaging surround field. If you want to showcase how good the DTS Neural:X upmixing can do to the hd lossless track (DTS-HD MSTR 7.1)...this is definitely the disc to recommend. Almost 80% of the film is sported with great surround from the nature.

In a separate thread, members have commented on the less than stellar LFE performance. They felt it was rather underwhelming but I thought it is fine.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #19 of 68 Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s thematic elements. Alexandre Desplat’s music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and atmospheric sound effects, plays an intricate role in this sometimes active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is excellent. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the “sounds” of the frontier world it depicts. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I thoroughly enjoyed this audio presentation and found that it accentuated the feeling of “being there” while complimenting the film’s recorded elements.
Shouldn't that be Ryuichi Sakamoto, Alva Noto and Bryce Dessner for the score?

Also are you sure about the dialogue being in centre only, as it moved freely between left side and right side channels depending on the location of the source.
AaronMK and highd3f like this.
post #20 of 68 Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Should get my UHD copy today and will watch it tonight. This will be my 1st viewing and really wanted to see in theaters.
Tomcup likes this.
post #21 of 68 Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Picking up my 4k Blu ray tonight ! Anybody know if the movie was filmed in 4k resolution or even mastered in 4k?

Last edited by 2pacalypsenow; 04-19-2016 at 03:01 PM.
post #22 of 68 Old 04-19-2016, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
Picking up my 4k Blu ray tonight ! Anybody know if the movie was filmed in 4k resolution or even mastered in 4k?
Filmed in 6k and mastered in 4k. This is THE 4k UHD to own. Got it today and it blows the launch titles out of the water. I noticed other UHD titles suffered from a combination of either blooming, loss of clarity, and poor black levels. The Revenant has none of those issues. You won't be disappointed.
Tomcup likes this.
post #23 of 68 Old 04-19-2016, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh1123 View Post
Filmed in 6k and mastered in 4k. This is THE 4k UHD to own. Got it today and it blows the launch titles out of the water. I noticed other UHD titles suffered from a combination of either blooming, loss of clarity, and poor black levels. The Revenant has none of those issues. You won't be disappointed.
post #24 of 68 Old 04-20-2016, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched about 30 mins of The Revenant last night. WOW. This is what 4K should be about. Razor sharp picture. I love the natural lighting thats used so far in the movie. With the 4K, HDR and natural lighting, it makes me feel like I'm there.
post #25 of 68 Old 04-20-2016, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
I watched about 30 mins of The Revenant last night. WOW. This is what 4K should be about. Razor sharp picture. I love the natural lighting thats used so far in the movie. With the 4K, HDR and natural lighting, it makes me feel like I'm there.
Now I'm itching. My UHD won't show up until tomorrow but thanks for the 4k update. Might have to put watching this one off until Saturday night. Popcorn and all. Is it good enough to keep the wife from talking?

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #26 of 68 Old 04-20-2016, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Agreed...Best UHD experience so far.
post #27 of 68 Old 04-20-2016, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic teletubby View Post
Now I'm itching. My UHD won't show up until tomorrow but thanks for the 4k update. Might have to put watching this one off until Saturday night. Popcorn and all. Is it good enough to keep the wife from talking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole LED View Post
Agreed...Best UHD experience so far.
Greetings,

The studio advises that I should have the 4K Ultra HD version by Friday. Looking forward to it..!

Regards,
gonzalc3 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #28 of 68 Old 04-20-2016, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Think you're going to like it.
post #29 of 68 Old 04-20-2016, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
One and done. It was a great looking/sounding movie, but it simply didn't click for me. Leo was excellent. It just felt like there was a better movie in there, buried within a too long running time.
post #30 of 68 Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up

I watched the first half of the UHD 4K Blu-ray last night and the amount of detail and clarity in low light levels is astounding. It becomes breathtaking when we get out in full day light during the later half of the beginning.The DTS HD Master audio sounds great as well. I can't wait to see upcoming titles that come from a 4K DI and have a 4K or higher source material. I watched some of the Fifth Wave on Sony's 4K streaming service and it stands to be a looker on UHD disc. I'll tell you one move I watched on the UltraFlix 4K streaming service blew my mind in quality even at 15Mbps data rate and that was HUGO! This will look outstanding on UHD Blu. And last but not least, please give us Guardians of the Galaxy on UHD 4K Blu-ray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page