• 1 Post By Phrehdd

post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2016, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6209
Ride Along 2 Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this follow up to 2014's buddy cop comedy "Ride Along" that picks up with Ben heading heading off to Miami with his soon-to-be brother-in-law James to bring down a drug dealer who's supplying the dealers of Atlanta with product.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2016
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Ice Cube, Kevin Hart, Olivia Munn, Benjamin Bratt, Bruce McGill, Tika Sumpter, Ken Jeong
Directed by: Tim Story
Music by: Christopher Lennertz
Written by: Phil Hay & Matt Manfredi
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 26, 2016

"Training Day is Over"

My Take:

The brothers-in-law are back! Ben (Kevin Hart; Get Hard, The Wedding Ringer), a recently graduated police rookie, now aspires to be a detective like his soon-to-be brother-in-law, but James (Ice Cube; 22 Jump Street, Barbershop) still doesn’t think that he has what it takes for the job. He reluctantly takes Ben with him to follow up on a lead in Miami. Plans for a quick trip go awry when their unorthodox policing gets them into a compromising situation that threatens to derail a major case… and Ben’s upcoming wedding day.

I generally tend to like the buddy cop genre having cut my teeth on the likes of Lethal Weapon. The success of such films relies on the chemistry of the leads, the quality of the writing/dialog and integration of whatever action that may be associated with the plot. I didn't care much for its predecessor and Ride Along 2 borrows too much from it, ultimately leaving me feeling exactly the same. The lazily written script opts for a typical premise which is fine however it relies too heavily on the site gag/comedic angle and Kevin Hart's high energy delivery. It starts out pretty silly and continues a downward spiral that absurdly sours as it plods along. I mean two Atlanta cops (one in training) running around Miami, crashing cars, shooting up nightclubs and running surveillance on a drug lord and crooked politician WITH the help of the Miami Police and a computer hacker (formerly in the employ of said drug lord)? The action is rather lame, the quips are not funny and there are simply too many insipid moments to make it even outrageously funny.

I couldn’t help but feel that the casting of Benjamin Bratt as the heavy and Olivia Munn as the hot Miami detective was a waste of their talent (although she is very easy on the eyes). I am NOT a Ken Jeong fan so his high pitched wise cracking only served to add an annoying element to the film for me. The Cube/Hart combination is merely okay and pales when compared to the more memorable film pairings out there.

Like its predecessor, Ride Along 2 is a contemporary comedy with a one note aspect and lazily predictable script that despite sporadic chuckles fails to capitalize on the talents of its cast and director.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of violence, sexual content, language and some drug material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Ride Along 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 Mbps.

Ride Along 2 looks terrific on Blu-ray Disc and features glossy high definition video quality that exhibits high level detail, razor sharpness and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional depiction. Contrast is bold applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives whites with washing away detail. Blacks are rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which makes them pop nicely during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. This is a pristine encoding and reference quality presentation that looks great.

This isn’t an action/comedy that calls for an aggressive surround mix but it should be capable of delivering the goods when necessary, and this DTS-HD Master Audio presentation does. The mix has a front oriented perspective with appreciable dimension, good channel separation and crisp, descriptive dialog that is always intelligible. The mix offers good front to rear balance and open atmospherics that create a fairly enveloping sound field. The result is a stable listening environment where the blend of music, sound effects, and subtle nuance contained in the recording are appreciable. If I had one minor nit to pick it would be that at times the surrounds were mixed a bit too hot. This was probably the most noticeable during the party sequence. Dynamic range is quite good which helps empower active moments while lending solidity and palpable presence to low frequencies.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) *Exclusive* The Ride Along Roundtable
  • (HD) *Exclusive* The Ride Diaries
  • (HD) *Exclusive* The New Recruits
  • (HD) *Exclusive* Ride Along with Kevin Hart
  • (HD) *Exclusive* Cori's Wedding Commercial
  • (HD) Deleted Scenes
  • (HD) Gag Reel
  • (HD) Ride Along With Us
  • (HD) Behind the Scenes of Ride Along With Us
  • (HD) Kevin & Cube: Brothers-In-Law
  • (HD) Inside Black Hammer Vision
  • Feature Audio Commentary with Director Tim Story
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Like its predecessor, Ride Along 2 is a contemporary comedy with a one note aspect and lazily predictable script that despite sporadic chuckles fails to capitalize on the talents of its cast and director. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring a great looking high definition presentation, excellent lossless sound quality and a fan friendly assortment of bonus supplements. I found Ride Along2 to be a swing and a miss however if you happen to be a fan its presentation on Blu-ray is solid.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Woobieizer and Phrehdd like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Ok, I'll bite.
I've never read one of your reviews that had the adjective 'insipid' in it. So I save some money and had a great laugh. Win Win!

Last edited by Woobieizer; 04-22-2016 at 06:43 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-22-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thanks for "telling it like it is". I don't need to waste any more money (than I already do) on bad movies.

BTW - is there any way to get a listing of all your movie reviews that are "four stars" and above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
Thanks for "telling it like it is". I don't need to waste any more money (than I already do) on bad movies.

BTW - is there any way to get a listing of all your movie reviews that are "four stars" and above?

Go to the database page and using your browser use find type a numerical equivalent to 4 star to you.. ie. 92

Or download one of them text files of RalphPottsMovieDatabase and using a text editor sort out by numerical equivalent.

Or just waste your time doing what you like to do.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-22-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
Go to the database page and using your browser use find type a numerical equivalent to 4 star to you.. ie. 92

Or download one of them text files of RalphPottsMovieDatabase and using a text editor sort out by numerical equivalent.

Or just waste your time doing what you like to do.

Where is the database page?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-22-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Where is the database page?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-of...-database.html

Last edited by Woobieizer; 06-17-2016 at 02:32 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-22-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Woobie.

Prior to your link, I spent a good ten-fifteen minutes searching for where that database was located. Got it now.

But I don't see any way (yet) to search for movies based on "Star rating". The "AV" rating and "Star Rating" are different (no correlation).
Woobieizer likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-24-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks Woobie.

Prior to your link, I spent a good ten-fifteen minutes searching for where that database was located. Got it now.

But I don't see any way (yet) to search for movies based on "Star rating". The "AV" rating and "Star Rating" are different (no correlation).
You are correct. This is not Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB

Ralph however, has uses asterisk * * in the database listing for some of his suggestions and has a couple Sticky Thread to guide buyer/viewing. You roam around the root Forum and you'll eventually pick up on user with similar viewing taste (we all love to comment), or tags used to group technical properties.
This movie for example has a user tag dts-hd 5.1

The star rating is in fact the manner in which technical proprieties can be measured / observed.

Spoiler!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Thanks Ralph. I see this film as something I might watch on Netflix streaming... in about 2 years. (g)

It looks like harmless fun and your write up seems to suggest it rather lackluster. I wont cry if I forget to watch it in 2 years.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 5.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page