Deadpool Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6204
Deadpool Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

A former Special Forces operative turned mercenary is subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopting the alter ego Deadpool.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2016
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 108 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/Dolby TrueHD 7.1, English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, Ed Skrein, T.J. Miller, Gina Carano, Brianna Hildebrand
Directed by: Tim Miller
Music by: Tom Holkenborg
Written by: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 10, 2016

"Justice has a new face"

My Take:

Based upon Marvel Comics’ most unconventional anti-hero, Deadpool tells the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

I knew little about the character of Deadpool prior to first getting a glimpse of him in the movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine. My son is familiar, and a fan, so when Deadpool was announced, and hit theaters, we were there opening weekend. There is no need to wax poetic about the plot or Deadpool's place in the Marvel Universe. As we have all been exposed now to a plethora of big screen incarnations of comic book characters brought to life. I think that Hollywood has been doing a pretty good job of late in that regard andDeadpool is no exception. Unabashedly crass, blissfully unconventional, and just downright loads of fun, Deadpool had me from the opening credits, and held on through to the end.

The action is of the hand-to-hand, small-caliber weapons variety with some elements of big titan flash. What makes Deadpool so entertaining is the infusion of oodles of dialog that comes in the form of quips, one liners, references, and seemingly off-the-cuff remarks, that seem a perfect situational fit. As delivered by Ryan Reynolds they just seem all the better. Of course having said that it should be noted that Deadpool isn't the everyman's superhero, and purposefully so. His perspectives are skewed according to his scale, and his idea of justice is pretty left of center when compared to the typical hero archetypes we are accustomed to. At the end of the day that's fine by me, as I found his cheeky nature, incorrigible brashness, and over the top style to be refreshing.

Deadpool isn't for everyone, but I reveled in its excellent production elements, eclectic take on the genre, and entertaining execution by director Tim Miller, and star Ryan Reynolds. I am not sure what lies in store for the character within the Marvel film universe, but I hope he finds a place.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence and language throughout, sexual content and graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

For those not willing to refer to the article linked above, I have included some comments here. The implementation of high dynamic range as it stands currently, doesn't appear to have exacting standards and no calibration tools to allow for a foundational threshold for setting up a visual system. This leaves us to do the best we can to determine what appears to be accurate, at least for the time being. With that in mind, my approach to reviewing Ultra HD Blu-ray will be to assess the elements observed which I find to generate the most significant visual impact when compared to standard high definition Blu-ray.

For me, high dynamic range, with its broader spectrum of colors and emboldened highlights in the areas of contrast and brightness, is where the potential lies in the format. The increase in resolution, while an important component, isn't going to be definitive in every case, especially given that currently many of the Ultra HD Blu-ray releases are derived from 2K Digital Intermediates that are up-converted to 4K. This shouldn't be strictly construed to mean that such up-converted images won't look noticeably better than their 1080p counterparts. Conversely, a release finished on a 4K Digital Intermediate isn't a guarantee that it will be heads and shoulders above the rest. So, what can you expect to hear from me when discussing what I observed from Ultra HD Blu-ray? I will hit upon the things that struck me, the impact, or lack of impact, of HDR and the improvement, if any, in resolution when compared to 1080p Blu-ray. The outcome will be a rating as seen above.

Front projection for home theater is just stepping through the door with respect to the reproduction of HDR. My goal is to present readers with a reasonable expectation of what they can expect when viewing the same content that I have. There may be variables that differ slightly however I believe that in general the outcome will be close. As we are exposed to more and more content and calibration tools come onboard we will have better perspectives from which to gauge. Thanks for reading!

Deadpool comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 5.5

For its presentation in Ultra HD Deadpool (derived from a 3.4 K source) was rendered from a 4K DI. With the limited exposure to Ultra HD sourced from a 4K Digital Intermediates we are left to judge based upon what we have seen thus far.

Deadpool isn't an overly colorful or bright film but this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a discernible increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears noticeably sharper and vibrant when compared to the 1080p version. Primary colors such red and blue are pleasingly rich while whites appear gradational and punchy. The added dimension in the grays, blacks and shadows is immediately noticeable. I find the natural rendering of light via its discernible stages and incremental highlights to be one of the big pluses I've noticed with HDR. The scene involving the fire at the laboratory is a good example of this. The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. At times the level of minutia is amazing as even the finest nuance in the physical features or clothing (check out Deadpool's costume) of the characters seen onscreen is resolvable. The film utilizes an overall cooler chromatic aesthetic, that appears faithfully reproduced in Ultra HD.

The difference between viewing Deadpool in high definition and Ultra HD isn't quite night and day but at times I had the feeling that the gap broadened quite a bit. I am pleased with this presentation and am excited to see what comes from Ultra HD releases rendered from native 4K sourced material.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics and discrete effects. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The extended chase/battle in the opening sequence features a host of swirling effects that travel around the soundstage moving overheard, passing by and coming directly at the listening position. Following that are several set pieces that show off the immersive effect as the blend of music, falling debris, weapon fire and smaller object sounds rain down from above. Everything comes together during the third act’s violent encounter that places you inside the action as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and integration of discrete object placement. I think that it complimented the source material and made for an entertaining listening experience.

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): [img] [/img]

Deadpool comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.5 Mbps.

Deadpool looks great on Blu-ray and features excellent high definition video quality that exhibits high level detail, defining sharpness and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of cooler secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional description. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and empowers whites without washing away detail. Blacks are rich, gradational and dynamic which makes them pop nicely during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. This is a pristine and faithful encoding that looks terrific on my big screen.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (core accompanying the Atmos track) and DTS 7.1 Master Audio soundtracks contained in the Ultra HD and Blu-ray discs are demonstration quality and sure to please those who like to play their systems near reference. This recording has wide dynamic range and boasts superlative clarity and high level detail. Dialog is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel. Channel separation and imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be spot on. The mix makes effective and often aggressive use of the surround channels to reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds contained in this demanding soundtrack. At times the listening position is bombarded with a combination of discretely placed near field and panning sound effects. The film's opening chase sequence/battle and the large set piece in the finale sound terrific as low frequency effects are applied with authority and occasionally provide room shuddering bass capable of potent impact. The big boom and what follows makes for great demo material. This is an involving and noteworthy audio presentation that is guaranteed to rock your home theater.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Deadpool Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Deadpool Blu-ray (Plus Bonus Features)
  • (HD) 10 Deleted/Extended Scenes w/optional director commentary
  • (HD) Gag Reel – 6 minutes
  • (HD) From Comics to Screen…to Screen (5 segments totaling 78 minutes)
    1. Origin…ier!
    2. Peoples & Muties!
    3. Stylin'!
    4. 'Splosions!
    5. Magic!
  • Two Audio Commentaries featuring the filmmakers and cast
  • (HD) Gallery
  • (HD) Deadpool's Fun Sack
    1. 19 Videos
    2. Stills
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Unabashedly crass, blissfully unconventional, and just downright loads of fun Deadpool is an entertaining, albeit road less traveled, genre entry that I thoroughly enjoyed. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring excellent Ultra High Definition video, engaging lossless surround sound, including a rewarding Dolby Atmos mix, and a fan friendly supplemental offering. Deadpool is a must own on Ultra HD/Blu-ray and comes highly recommended for fans.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 05-19-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16170
Blu-ray audio = 100. That's all I have to read. Now officially a review reference.
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #3 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
I'm surprised the Atmos part didn't score higher considering people are saying this is the new Atmos reference film.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Easy Purchase, I wish I could say that for more movies coming out.
thrillcat, Phrehdd and Ralph Potts like this.
post #5 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 122
We just watched it again a couple of days ago and it is easily one of the best comic book adaptations of all time. For once a movie for grown-ups and not 13 year old boys with pimples.
We liked the 2 Sin-City movies too. Studios should be more willing to risk a little once in a while.

This is my first UHD buy. Don't have the player yet, or the display, but gotta have it.

cheers
Phrehdd, blish2 and Ralph Potts like this.
post #6 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Thanks for the review Ralph! I'm disappointed that Atmos didn't make it on to the Blu Ray, but that seems to be the way things are going. Either way, I picked up the UHD copy and figure that as soon as Oppo releases their UHD player I'll make that upgrade. Deadpool was so radically different then anything done before by Marvel that it really was a breath of fresh air.
Ralph Potts, Phrehdd and blish2 like this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #7 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
For me. This might be the best atmos disc out there

LOVED this in 4K so natural looking and e detail in dead pools suit oh my!

Good stuff Ralph
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I was underwhelmed. I didn't find anything genuinely witty about it. Another fart joke? You got it. "You look like bald testicles with a face." Yep, that line or a line very close to it was in the movie. Think I ran a riff like that when I was 13. I was expecting something genuinely original. Never mind that this supposedly brash trash talking warrior suddenly is too sensitive to let the love of his life see his face even though he knows Ajax is out to snatch her. He passes up a chance to save her so he can have existential moments lamenting his face. I could go on. I did think the big silver Russian CGI guy with integrity was fun. His sidekick? She only had a few lines -- and she struggled with those. Morena Baccarin is so beautiful. The guy who played Ajax was great. Ryan Reynolds -- well, to me he is the personification of mayo. His bland good looks are hard to look at after a while. My .02. I'd recommend renting. The humor is already dated. It's been dated since American Pie. Maybe if Downey Jr. was Deadpool I would've liked it better. He has the wit, the rapid delivery, and most importantly the soul, to make the character work. I watched the blu-ray version.
ImaStar likes this.
post #9 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Looks like I will have to go buy a UHD Blu ray player so I can enjoy the Dolby Atmos audio as it appears once again the flipping studio decided to release the improved audio on the 4K disc only. Luckily all players down convert to whatever video output you have so no need to get a 4k projector yet....
post #10 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
I only saw this in 7.1 as I don't have a UHD player yet, but I concur with the assessment of 100% on the audio. This is reference material for sure. I didn't measure the LFE and how low it goes, but there is plenty of tactile bass and it's all appropriate for the scenes. I would never have thought a Juice Newton song could fit so well into a Marvel movie - they nailed the use of the soundtrack in the movie and if you're a child of the 80's it will be all that more enjoyable. I laughed all the way through the movie and it's kudos to Ryan Reynolds that I couldn't imagine it being pulled off by anyone else. Great, great movie and review.
Ralph Potts and Hairsonfire like this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #11 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
Looks like I will have to go buy a UHD Blu ray player so I can enjoy the Dolby Atmos audio as it appears once again the flipping studio decided to release the improved audio on the 4K disc only. Luckily all players down convert to whatever video output you have so no need to get a 4k projector yet....
Don't support it. Paying extra for something that should be included on the bluray makes no sense to me. Especially when other studios have Atmos for both bluray and 4K versions.

Nice review, Ralph. Still not ready to future proof yet. I don't feel the increase in details is worth it for some of the early releases. I'll probably start later this year after i get a PS4K. 100GB disc should be out by then too.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 05-17-2016 at 12:15 PM.
post #12 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Lightbulb My agreement, my take, my opinion, my message ...

This flick was fun cool different. And on Blu the humor and picture and sound were top notch.

I agree with Mark when he first shared his experience @ the theater, and now with Ralph's review.

* It is not Mad Max, but it's ok fun nonetheless. It's entertainment. ...Except for the Chinese censors.

Yes, that was on Blu, and it's a FOX BR title on UHD (Atmos exclusive).
Lol, no Atmos on regular Blu for people who don't have a 4K BR player (Samsung), and no 3D either; it would have been cool in 3D.

What is it with FOX studios? They want to please only a very tiny section and annihilate the masses?
They just keep repeating the discouragement of 3D ('Avatar'), and now another discouragement (Atmos).
They encouraged Panasonic (3D TVs and 3D BR players) before, and now they encourage Samsung (4K BR player) and 4K overall.
The thing is that they don't encourage what they consider art that doesn't sell. ...But Atmos; they must be selling on Blu, no?

Anyway, the Blu is fine, without the bonus Atmos, and without 3D, and I agree with Ralph's high scores.
For me (regular Blu) the pic and audio is 90 and 92 respectively. Same pretty much as Ralph for the UHD.
And the film itself value: 86 (same pretty much again as Ralph - 3 to 8 points difference out of 100 is nothing @ all).

What difference is there between 90 and 96?
...Between 92 and 100?
It's all in the eyes and ears of the viewer's state-of-mind and small technical variations.

Only if the difference (technical only, because film value itself is a very personal matter and it can be 100 for one guy, and zero for one gal) is somewhere around 25 points then it might require deeper technical analysis, but it's tough because how we evaluate sound is no small peanuts; and we don't have ten different sound versions of the movie to compare, but we only go with that we are used to...special effects, immersive surround, music score, bass that shakes our couches, ...all that jazz. And it's quite relative.
...And the same with the picture; it's the director's own choice, and the studio too with the colorists, the contrast applied, the cinematography, the CGI effects, the post production, our overall personal satisfaction.

'Deadpool' was serious fun entertainment, and with great technical merits. Thanks for the review Ralph (and Mark too); I agree with you both.

<<>> Now with FOX: Here's my message to you FOX studio executives in charge of decision making in regard to the Blu-ray 2K and 4K distribution across the globe.
Put the same audio energy you apply on UHD (Atmos), also on the regular Blu. ...That way more people can enjoy more technical merits across the board.
And not only you encourage better picture (4K), but better 3D audio immersion too (Atmos).
That Atmos exclusivity to UHD only is pure mediocrity.

Thank you for reading; I'm sure you do understand. Blu-ray is simply not dead yet. And Atmos needs all the push it can get.
As for 3D, I understand; it's not ready yet for the masses. Perhaps some day, without glasses.
Mike Butny and Ralph Potts like this.
post #13 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Don't support it. Paying extra for something that should be included on the bluray makes no sense to me. Especially when other studios have Atmos for both bluray and 4K versions.

Nice review, Ralph. Still not ready to future proof yet. I don't feel the increase in details is worth it for some of the early releases. I'll probably start later this year after i get a PS4K. 100GB disc should be out by then too.
I would like to have the strength to not upgrade out of principle, but like many things in life I may just cave to appease my impatience....lol. I don't know what the cost implications are for the studios for adding the Atmos / DTS-X tracks to titles. It must be somewhat substantial for intentionally blocking an ever growing subset of market. If there was no cost involved why would you not just code all the discs with all of the goodies available right?
post #14 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post
I was underwhelmed. I didn't find anything genuinely witty about it. Another fart joke? You got it. "You look like bald testicles with a face."
You are correct. Your line above is not funny nor representative of how his head looks at all. It does not look like "testicles with a face". The actual line in the film is:
Weasel: Yes. A very thick mask. All the time. I am sorry... you are haunting. Your face is the stuff of nightmares.
Wade Wilson: Like a testicle with teeth.
Weasel: You will die alone. I mean, if you could die. Ideally, for others' sake.
Which I found to be descriptively accurate, gross and comical. To each their own.
ken984 and Toxic teletubby like this.
post #15 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exactly. To each his own. Still not a funny bit, imo. Like I said, my friends an I ran riffs like that in junior high. I was expecting more based on all of the positive reviews. I want my voice to be heard because I feel ripped off. It was an okay movie. But expectations were set way to high for it by the fan base. As Ralph said -- it's not a movie for everyone. I'm one of those people. Nobody wrote that this is a fan only thread. Heck, I remember Ralph when he was writing for that site with the spotted dog. I think he's open to contrary opinions. You guys loved it. Good. Take pleasure where you can. Bet there are a good number of people like me though who'll get excited by the reviews and wonder WTF -- this isn't all that I thought it would be.

Last edited by Glashub; 05-17-2016 at 01:37 PM.
post #16 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked: 2565
Quote:
Exactly. To each his own. Still not a funny bit, imo. Like I said, my friends an I ran riffs like that in junior high. I was expecting more based on all of the positive reviews. I want my voice to be heard because I feel ripped off. It was an okay movie. But expectations were set way to high for it by the fan base. As Ralph said -- it's not a movie for everyone. I'm one of those people. Nobody wrote that this is a fan only thread. Heck, I remember Ralph when he was writing for that site with the spotted dog. I think he's open to contrary opinions. You guys loved it. Good. Take pleasure where you can. Bet there are a good number of people like me though who'll get excited by the reviews and wonder WTF -- this isn't all that I thought it would be.
Well, had you read all the reviews you would've/should've known EXACTLY what it would be. Then you could've avoided it and your disappointment in it and spare us all from the same.

Hairsonfire likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #17 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Well, had you read all the reviews you would've/should've known EXACTLY what it would be. Then you could've avoided it and your disappointment in it and spare us all from the same.

Spare you from what? What exactly have I inflicted on you? My right to freedom of speech? My right to differ? My right as a forum member in good standing to post my opinion? What exactly can I spare you from in the future so you won't have to roll your eyes?
MarkMul1 likes this.
post #18 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 03:19 PM

I totally get it that all taste are different. Some folks can't stand violence in movies, and humor, not everyone has the same or take it the same.
In some other countries women are arrested for modeling and showing their faces; it goes against the traditional wardrobe they have to wear to cover their head and face. It was on the news this morning.

But yeah, movies have various impacts for various people. In China Deadpool was banned for its violence.
In Argentina Justin Bieber was banned recently (in the news this morning too) from performing because he tossed their national flag off stage without knowing that it was their national flag. He's just a loose kid cannon. He still needs his parents around.

'Deadpool' is for an adult audience, grownup people. And not every adult is the same. A pair of buns showing onscreen is not everyone's good taste @ the movies. Tarantino's black humor and pools of blood and faces shot @ close range with high caliber shotguns is also not everyone's good time @ the movies.
...Swearing, nudity, gratuitous violence, guns, knifes, machetes, swords, decapitated heads, exploded bodies to smithereens, a pair of testicles to describe someone's face is not humor for all 7.35 billion people on the planet. Some laugh some don't...what to do to make everyone's laugh? That, is the question, because here the sense of humor in Hollywood movies can be way over-the-top sometime. How it is delivered and how receptive to it is how our imagination works. It's a comedy, so it is not to be taken seriously.

Still, we have the choice, the choice to see the movies we want to see before they show up in theaters and on Blu-ray; by checking the trailers and by reading the screening previews.
And if we dare to watch stuff that we are more sensitive to, for all kind of reasons...curiosity, unexpected expectations, etc. this is still our right to like and dislike.
Films they come in all flavors; here comic books are big, so guys like Deadpool, Ant-Man, X-Men, the Avengers and all the rest of the gang to super heroes a la Superman and super villains a la Joker are big Hollywood movie business, and beyond this continent.

Other films have other agendas, more than entertainment. Some documentaries are historic and educative too; nature, humanity, social movements, etc.
...And much much more from the cinema industry globally.

But here @ AVSForum, Blu-ray movies are mainly for entertainment, all type, comics, romances, heroes, fights, good versus evil, laughing, crying, everything between, big effects, impacting sounds, lower registers, body tremors, out-of-this world sci-fi effects, images that we never see in real life, extreme imagination, extreme language, extreme violence, and some real life actions are much more violent than on films.

This is Hollywood, this is entertainment, this is Deadpool with its own dose of humor and violence. ...Not worst not better than some other ones.
It is what it is, what part of America is, a movie, a reflection from a writer, his vision, and with a director directing the actors from the comic book's writer.
Deadpool is a comic hero from another planet, a total pure fabrication of someone's sense of imagination.

Me I can dig it. Totally, because that's the way it is. But I can also respect the one who has a totally different view than mine.
...And for expressing his different opinion than mine. I fully welcome it and respect it.
We can talk about all technical visual and auditory aspects of 'Deadpool', and we can also talk about all aspects of the film's values.
We are adults and we respect all opinions, right? You got that, right.

Lol, Ryan Reynolds did a big fiasco with the Green Lantern (dark 3D Blu-ray flick), and now he's redeeming himself with this out-of-ordinary super comic 'hero' flick.
Yeah, we all have our opinion, and it's a forum of audio/video toys for our movies and music. But it's the movies and music first that are the main messages; the gear is simply the messenger, the rendition, the reproduction, the fidelity.

So, is Deadpool strictly a technical visual and auditory flick? Certainly not; it is first and more importantly a story written by a comic book writer with a comic book character.
...Purely invented and fictional and exaggerated. ...And this comic character is more over-the-top humorously comic than the other more serious comic super hero characters.
It's a different take, and the villains are more grounded sort of, as compared to the Joker, or the Penguin, etc.

Make no mistake, 'Deadpool' is a comedy pushing the boundaries of our normal comic book super heroes. So let's take it for what it is and not for what it isn't.

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-17-2016 at 03:31 PM.
post #19 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 3343
Thank You Ralph for the review

I already got it and cannot wait to watch-it.
Everyone that I know that seen it, Loved-it.

It is also nice to see a Super Hero movie to be more for the adults and less for the kiddies.
The Director took a chance, and the box office proved he was right.

Ray
Woobieizer likes this.
post #20 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Deadpool was so radically different then anything done before by Marvel that it really was a breath of fresh air.
It wasn't made by Marvel. It was made by FOX.
post #21 of 55 Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I did think the big silver Russian CGI guy with integrity was fun.
The big silver Russian CGI guy?? Good grief. (eye roll) The fact that you don't even know his name speaks volumes about your assessment of the movie. You were not the intended audience at all. It's no surprise you didn't like it.
post #22 of 55 Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Yeah, I'm going to wait too. Not sure when I'll jump in myself though.

I'm running a non-4K projector and thus a non-4K player, so I have no way of accessing the Atmos track, and I'm not going to spend $$$ to get a 1st gen UHD player only to downrez it to 1080p, esp. since we are in the midst of a 4K HDR format war, and that player only supports one of the two competing formats.
Mike Butny likes this.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 05-18-2016 at 10:14 AM.
post #23 of 55 Old 05-18-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
I didn't see it in theaters but I bought in on UHD. I really liked it a lot. RR definitely nailed Deadpool.
post #24 of 55 Old 05-18-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 348
No Atmos on Blu Ray = not buying it.

nonsense.
wl1, ArieS1204 and blish2 like this.
post #25 of 55 Old 05-18-2016, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 2145
@Kini62 A quote Ralph uses I've always liked. "One mans meat is another man's poison"
Ralph Potts and MichaelZ like this.
post #26 of 55 Old 05-18-2016, 09:05 PM

I didn't know anything about Colossus, the big Russian character in 'Deadpool'...I just found out now.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/14041...han-just-cameo

There is no need to know everything to like or dislike some stuff in a film.
post #27 of 55 Old 05-19-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I bought the UHD for future proofing purposes, but if I purchased a UHD player, would the disc's video downconvert to match the normal blu ray's resolution and color gamut exactly?

I'd be worried if it crushed blacks or the colors were different. But if it looks exactly like the blu ray, then I guess that's a good (albeit expensive) alternative for those that want to listen to it in Atmos. Not saying I approve of gimping the normal blu rays though...
post #28 of 55 Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertskii16 View Post
I bought the UHD for future proofing purposes, but if I purchased a UHD player, would the disc's video downconvert to match the normal blu ray's resolution and color gamut exactly?

I'd be worried if it crushed blacks or the colors were different. But if it looks exactly like the blu ray, then I guess that's a good (albeit expensive) alternative for those that want to listen to it in Atmos. Not saying I approve of gimping the normal blu rays though...
I do not have either of the 2 players out there. I am basing it solely on what both players state they do with automated video down conversion. So I cant speak to the quality of color or video output form UHD down to 1080P. Buying the UHD is really a win win from an expense standpoint other than the "new tech" pricing. Its future proofing yourself seeing as we all will eventually purchase a UHD player. Its the UHD discs themselves that are a $5 premium over their 1080P counterparts. Then again if you are one to purchase discs also a no brainer seeing as you are essential wasting money on buying a sub-par 1080P product to be "upconverted" later when we all switch.
post #29 of 55 Old 05-19-2016, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I do not have either of the 2 players out there. I am basing it solely on what both players state they do with automated video down conversion. So I cant speak to the quality of color or video output form UHD down to 1080P. Buying the UHD is really a win win from an expense standpoint other than the "new tech" pricing. Its future proofing yourself seeing as we all will eventually purchase a UHD player. Its the UHD discs themselves that are a $5 premium over their 1080P counterparts. Then again if you are one to purchase discs also a no brainer seeing as you are essential wasting money on buying a sub-par 1080P product to be "upconverted" later when we all switch.
Gotcha. Either way I will be purchasing the UHD blu ray for any non 3D movie since it's a no brainer to pay the $5 premium even though it'll be awhile before I upgrade to a 4k (or even faux 4k) projector.

As far as the movie itself, I loved it but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to everyone. There's a bunch of immature jokes/pop culture references, and plenty of over the top violence that might not appeal to everyone. Luckily, I have the maturity level of high school teenage boy, and I don't think I'll ever outgrow a solid fart joke (not saying that Deadpool always sank down to that level but still). Also, as far as the over the top violence, I love movies like Raid/Raid 2 so this movie was right up my alley

The PQ/AQ was top notch, and the texture on Deapool's costume was some of the best detail I've seen, and this is just on a 1080p projector so I can't imagine how great it would look in 4k! And turning this movie up close to reference is sure to put a smile on your face within the first 10 minutes.
post #30 of 55 Old 05-19-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
I have 1080P PJ. I BOUGHT THE 4K version solely for ATMOS.

Gotta do what you gotta do.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
atmos ~ 92 , bd-66

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page