The Other Side of the Door Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By audiofan1
  • 1 Post By audiofan1
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts

post #1 of 8 Old 06-21-2016, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 5851
The Other Side of the Door Blu-ray Review

After her young son is killed in a tragic accident, a woman learns of a ritual which will bring him back to say goodbye, but when she disobeys a sacred warning, she upsets the balance between life and death.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2016
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 96 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Sarah Wayne Callies, Jeremy Sisto
Directed by: Johannes Roberts
Music by: Joseph Bishara
Written by:Johannes Roberts, Ernest Riera
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 7, 2016

"See why it was never meant to be opened"

My Take:

In this chilling supernatural story from cowriter-director Johannes Roberts, a family’s idyllic life abroad turns to tragedy — then terror. After her young son dies in an accident, a grieving mother (Sarah Wayne Callies) learns of a ritual that will bring him back for a final goodbye. When she travels to an ancient temple to undertake the ritual, she discovers a door that serves as a portal to the afterworld. But when she ignores a warning not to open the door, the balance between life and death is upset. Now, an unspeakable horror is unleashed that threatens the lives of everyone she loves.

The Other Side of the Door is a paint by the numbers chiller that contains the requisite foundational elements to make for a watchable ghost story. The narrative ticks all the boxes as it begins with the tragedy that brings the grieving mother to the precipice, where she will disregard the warnings of a well-meaning Hindu woman, that shares local folklore about an ancient place where the living can have one final moment, to speak to those that have passed on.

Of course from there things unfold as you might expect, with things that go bump in the night, the mother getting caught up in the idea of her dead son returning that she fails to protect her still very much alive, young daughter, and a father/husband that is completely clueless right up until the potential point of no return. While there is little about The Other Side of the Door that feels fresh, it musters enough creepiness to put a mild chill in the air. No, it won't make the hairs of seasoned genre fans stand up, but those that are more susceptible to typical jump scares and eerie tales will probably find themselves caught up more often than not.

At the end of the day I found The Other Side of the Door to be a mildly entertaining time passer that was slightly better than expected.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some bloody violence, brief sensuality and disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Other Side of the Door comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This film’s visual style doesn’t lend itself to eye catching color or infinite levels of dimension but this is a creative decision that doesn’t reflect negatively on its presentation. Resolution is excellent with clearly rendered images that exhibit refined levels of detail during close ups and discernible depth of field in wide angle shots. The filtered chromatic range is purposefully limited to muted primary colors and softer secondary hues. That coupled with the drab lighting schemes and dark cinematography makes for a visually pallid but thematically affecting look. Skin tones among the cast vary and range from Rosy to pale while appearing textural and predominantly lifelike. Blacks are deep and dynamic and shadow detail is excellent. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts in this whistle clean high definition presentation that looks terrific.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack offers detail rich clarity while making use of the entire surround platform to support the film’s thematic elements. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. Dynamic range is solid which enriches the authority of low frequency effects contained in the mix. There isn’t perpetual use of the surround channels and subwoofer however when applied the effects are involving enough to elevate suspense.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) 6 Deleted Scenes
  • (HD) Behind the Door: Making of Featurette
  • (HD) Gallery
  • (HD) Theatrical Trailer
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Other Side of the Door is a paint by the numbers chiller that contains the requisite foundational elements to make for a watchable ghost story. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring solid technical merits mated with a lackluster supplemental offering. The Other Side of the Door won't thoroughly engage seasoned genre fans but it's worth a rental for those looking for a spooky flick on a stormy evening.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
freeman4 and Phrehdd like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-21-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Think I'm gonna pass on this one as there was just one about a couple that lost their daughter..then got her back from the dead, but decided to keep her rather than following the rules of the deal..so bad things happened..I forget the name of the movie..but this looks so close to that idea that I'll keep waiting for a good horror movie. Thanks for the review Ralph!
post #3 of 8 Old 06-21-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post
Think I'm gonna pass on this one as there was just one about a couple that lost their daughter..then got her back from the dead, but decided to keep her rather than following the rules of the deal..so bad things happened..I forget the name of the movie..but this looks so close to that idea that I'll keep waiting for a good horror movie. Thanks for the review Ralph!
Life After Beth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-22-2016, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4 View Post
Life After Beth?
No, but that was a good movie ..I'll try and find the name of it...It was Wake Wood.

Last edited by Chewbacco; 06-22-2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: remembered a name
post #5 of 8 Old 07-07-2016, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
Hi Ralph

Got this in today as the wife is wanting to see it . I'll post back after virewing
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-07-2016, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Hi Ralph

Got this in today as the wife is wanting to see it . I'll post back after virewing
Greetings,

Sounds good Jeff. Looking forward to your thoughts..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 8 Old 07-16-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
Hi Ralph

We had the opportunity to take this one in last night and agree with your assessment. I didn't find it comparable to some of the best the genre has to offer and it really just made it in on worthy of just passing the time. The story itself was good but a few moments to predictable and felt overall a bit rushed.

Thanks for the heads up
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-16-2016, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Hi Ralph

We had the opportunity to take this one in last night and agree with your assessment. I didn't find it comparable to some of the best the genre has to offer and it really just made it in on worthy of just passing the time. The story itself was good but a few moments to predictable and felt overall a bit rushed.

Thanks for the heads up
Greetings,

Sure thing Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to chime in with your thoughts buddy..

Regards,
audiofan1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page