Everybody Wants Some!! Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By Lee Weber
  • 1 Post By Gorilla Killa

post #1 of 9 Old 07-13-2016, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6118
Everybody Wants Some!! Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this rowdy comedy set in the early 1980's, about a group of college baseball players that navigate their way through the freedoms, and responsibilities of unsupervised adulthood.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2016
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 117 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Blake Jenner, Tyler Hoechlin, Wyatt Russell, Glen Powell, J. Quinton Johnson, Ryan Guzman, Zoey Deutch
Written & Directed by: Richard Linklater
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 12, 2016

"Here for a good time, not a long time"

My Take:

Everybody Wants Some!! follows freshman pitcher Jake as he arrives at college in the summer of 1980 and meets his new rowdy teammates. Together, they must navigate their way between girls, parties and baseball, all in the last weekend before school begins.

Written and directed by Academy Award nominee Richard Linklater Everybody Wants Some!! is a period comedy that takes a snapshot of a group of guys sewing their wild oats while at the precipice of the transition from boyhood to manhood. It's a light, effectual ode to a time in adolescence when only a few things really mattered, most of which revolved around good friends, and good fun. Seemingly lacking a decisive narrative flow, the film slowly lures you in with its wonderfully sneaky character, study built around a simple plotline, and enriching subtext. Abounding in nostalgia and a toe tapping assemblage of period music, I had a great time losing myself in the pitch perfect situations, chuckle inducing banter and spot on performances by the largely unknown members of the cast.

Writer/Director Richard Linklater hits the mark with Everybody Wants Some!!. It's a delightfully entertaining comedy that asks little of the audience, other than to step back in time and enjoy the ride.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language throughout, sexual content, drug use and some nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Everybody Wants Some!! comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This video presentation delivered satisfactory overall quality that included appreciable refinement and subtle degrees of delineation that resulted in a gratifying high definition viewing experience. Colors and fleshtones appear natural with ample saturation and vivid textures. Black levels are respectable and depth of field/delineation during low light sequences is rarely a problem. I didn’t detect any noteworthy anomalies or artifacts.

The audio presentation is solid and like the video renders the elements present in the soundtrack as intended. Dialog is clearly articulated through the center channel as the film’s music holds sway over the front soundstage. Aural perspective is one dimensional and leans toward the front channels however spatial venue replicating effects and diffuse ambience is fed to the rear channels which provide a limited but effective sense of envelopment.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Outtakes – 25 minute
  • (HD) Rickipedia – 4 minutes
  • (HD) Baseball Players Can Dance – 6 minute featurette
  • (HD) Skills Videos – 5 minutes
  • (HD) History 101: Stylin' the 80's – 4 minute featurette
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Writer/Director Richard Linklater hits the mark with Everybody Wants Some!!. It's a delightfully entertaining comedy that asks little of the audience, other than to step back in time and enjoy the ride. It comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring solid high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and a fan friendly supplemental package. Everybody Wants Some!! isn’t necessarily a must own film, however it is a must see, and deserves a spot near the top of your Blu-ray rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Lee Weber, freeman4 and Phrehdd like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-13-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Unfortunately I thought the movie was terrible. I'm mad I paid money at the theater to see this. I was one of two people in the theatre so apparently there was no buzz for this flick. I started college the exact same time as Freshman Jake and the humor seemed forced. I'm a huge baseball fan too and even those parts bored me. No chemistry at all between the actors.

I wanted to like it but I didn't.

Dazed and Confused was 100 times better.

Afro GT
post #3 of 9 Old 07-13-2016, 12:36 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Ralph,

I am glad you felt the same as I on this one. Funny how many people were disappointed.
Drop your "Dazed and Confused" comparisons and desire for a repeat and soak yourself up in some early 80s nostalgia. I found the film funny with a big heart and a very worthwhile entry into the "coming of age" genre. I had a smile on my face most the running time.

Also, the bong hit/telepathy scene was perfection!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Lee Weber; 07-13-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-13-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Ok, I would not have expected this to be reviewed sinced it bombed at the theater, but Im glad you did. I love nostalgia films like Dazed and Confused, Fast Times etc. Thanks for the review, I had been contemplating renting, I may just buy it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
i'm a big fan of RL's films (notice the lunch lady was from the movie "Bernie"). I was a freshmen in Aug of 1980....so yes, this film was smack dab in my wheelhouse. The music (singing Sugarhill Gang), the new wave/punk movement style clash with more preppy attire...clothes and hair...like a walk back in time.

But, I found most of the performances weak (or poorly written?) and didn't really connect with any of the characters or found them entertaining. I really, really wanted to love this movie. I would revisit the film only to relive the "feel" for that time period...not because I found the film overly entertaining.

If you look at the cast of "Dazed and Confused" who have gone on to have long and successful careers.....I venture to guess this won't be the same with this cast.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-14-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
This is not a typical wild teen/college flick. It's the funny dialogue that carries the film. One thing that I found was that the first 5-10 minutes were a bit slow but if you stayed with it, there were comic rewards to be had. The cast was OK, but aside from Blake Jenner, who was a regular in season 5 of Glee and Zoey Deutch, I had not seen any of them or if I had, they didn't make an impact. The film could have benefited from more screen time for Ms. Deutch. She is adorable (reminds me of Isla Fisher) and could have been used more. All in all, a good little comedy that is more of a one time rental than a purchase.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-15-2016, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Unfortunately I thought the movie was terrible. I'm mad I paid money at the theater to see this. I was one of two people in the theatre so apparently there was no buzz for this flick. I started college the exact same time as Freshman Jake and the humor seemed forced. I'm a huge baseball fan too and even those parts bored me. No chemistry at all between the actors.

I wanted to like it but I didn't.

Dazed and Confused was 100 times better.
I thought the movie was terrible also. The cast was great. I liked the characters, but they had nothing to work with. The script and story just kind of meandered along. I kept waiting for it to go somewhere and for something funny to happen, but it just kept drifting along. I gave up after about an hour or so.

I also thought Boyhood was incredibly over rated also though. The only thing great about that movie was the fact that they filmed it over the span of 12 or so odd years of time. But that kid led the most boring life! Something needs to happen. It just gets old watching people just wandering around, drifting in and out of each scene.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2016, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 3226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Ok, I would not have expected this to be reviewed sinced it bombed at the theater, but Im glad you did. I love nostalgia films like Dazed and Confused, Fast Times etc. Thanks for the review, I had been contemplating renting, I may just buy it.
Indie promo budget, this was never expected to be a blockbuster. It can't bomb if nobody gets to see it.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2016, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Not a great film by any means and didn't capture the feeling (for me) of Dazed and Confused. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

While I do agree with many of the other posters' negative comments, I would still consider this a light entertainment worth a rental if one is into this genre. I think Blake Jenner is a very likeable presence on the screen and will be curious if he can continue maturing his craft in future films.

Though Animal House certainly did have a cast that was older than the characters they played, their abilities and the script allowed us to accept them. In this film, I felt the casting of some characters was a bit awkward as they stood out as being a bit too old for the parts they played and for me it was distracting.

Having grown up in the 60's, 70's and 80's and fully enjoying all each had to offer, this film fell just a bit short but does have few very good memorable moments. - A 'nice' rental if one likes this genre of film.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page