Underworld Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
  • 6 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 3 Post By rr6966
  • 1 Post By Mashie Saldana
  • 1 Post By tjenkins95
  • 2 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 1 Post By dnoonie
  • 1 Post By zombie10k
  • 1 Post By SteveFred
  • 1 Post By Roudan
  • 3 Post By dholmes54
  • 1 Post By RLBURNSIDE
  • 2 Post By thehun
  • 1 Post By Daniel Chaves
  • 2 Post By amnesia0287

post #1 of 21 Old 12-23-2016, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 5876
Underworld Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Selene, a beautiful warrior, is entrenched in a war between the vampire and werewolf races. Although she is aligned with the vampires, she falls in love with Michael, a human who is sought by werewolves for reasons yet to be discovered.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2003
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 121 minutes/133 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy/Horror

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible), French, Italian Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Italian
Starring: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Speedman, Bill Nighy, Michael Sheen, Shane Brolly, Erwin Leder
Directed by: Len Wiseman
Music by: Paul Haslinger
Written by: Danny McBride
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: December 27, 2016

"An Immortal Battle for Supremacy"

My Take:

In the Underworld, Vampires are a secret clan of modern aristocratic sophisticates whose mortal enemies are the Lycans (werewolves), a shrewd gang of street thugs who prowl the city’s underbelly. No one knows the origin of their bitter blood feud, but the balance of power between them turns even bloodier when a beautiful young Vampire warrior and a newly-turned Lycan with a mysterious past fall in love. Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman star in this modern-day, action-packed tale of ruthless intrigue and forbidden passion ¬ all set against the dazzling backdrop of a timeless, Gothic metropolis.

Directed by Len Wiseman from a screenplay by Danny McBride and based on a story by Kevin Grevioux and Len Wiseman & Danny McBride, Underworld needs little introduction among genre fans, and is the first, and best entry in a film franchise, that has seen three sequels, with a new release, Underworld: Blood Wars coming to theaters this January. I am a fan and have owned this film in each of its home video releases. I was thrilled to learn it was getting the Ultra HD treatment from Sony. Read on to the see the results…

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence/gore and some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Underworld comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible) sound.

Underworld was shot on film and derived from a 2K DI for its presentation in Ultra HD. With the limited exposure to Ultra HD sourced from 4K Digital Intermediates we are left to judge based upon what we have seen thus far. In this case the results are excellent.

The 1080p transfer of Underworld is decent, serving the film’s original elements well. I am happy to report that this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail, and dynamic highlights, both light and dark. This is primarily a dark film and its low-level sequences had excellent depth and dimension. The cinematography makes constant use of shadows, cascading/streaming light and a mix of light/dark elements. It’s application here is used very well drawing upon HDR’s ability to create stark contrast between the two. The use of shadows mixed with light looked very natural.

Underworld has a pervasive monochromatic visual scheme that appears faithfully reproduced in Ultra HD. The nature of the photography didn't allow the wide color gamut to shine but things like the deep blue of Kate Beckinsale’s eyes or the red in Viktor/Bill Nighy’s cloak, appeared more vivid. Close ups reveal plenty of fine detail and textures in the skin, hair and costumes. Looking at the presentation as a whole I would say that it makes for a distinct improvement when compared to the 1080p Blu-ray rendering.

Like the video presentation the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 surround mix improves upon the previous 5.1 channel mix and sounds superb. This soundtrack runs the gamut between subtle passages of spoken dialogue to dynamically charged sequences that deliver opulent surround sound. Dialog rendering is excellent. Detail is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements within the mix. The recording's excellent dynamic range accents the soundtrack's varying elements during transitions from subtle to more aggressive active moments which highlights the potency of gunfire, explosions, or musical crescendos. Low frequency effects don't reach subterranean depths, but this mix digs deeper than the original, as its palpable presence is never in question, providing rewarding and ample bass response that resonates with authority. Surround use is prevalent and achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciably involving as sounds and effects are seamlessly blended to create a stable and detail rich sound field.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics, discrete effects and music. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. During the first act there are several instances where the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field. The opening with its falling rain, claps of thunder and brief subway battle, provide an idea of what the mix has in store. Audio object placement from both above and in the ear listening plane are put to effective use.

The sequence where Michael undergoes the beginnings of his transformation by seeing the past events that sparked the war, sounds great, as the various effects move in and around the room as dictated by what you see onscreen. While this scene sounds very good in the standard mix it's taken to another level in the Amos mix. This continues with the film’s action based sequences as well as those that convey the breadth/expanse of interiors such as those in the stone chamber where the elders rest as the track bristles with enveloping ambience and discretely placed effects. Overall, I would say that viewing Underworld in Ultra HD with the new Dolby Atmos mix made for a transformative and heightened home theater experience.

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 86
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:

Underworld comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless 5.1 PCM sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a limited color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The color range is limited to shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson red and forest green hues. Warm golden accents are used throughout to break up the film’s monochromatic essence. This comes in the form of glowing candle light or alternating flesh tones that have lifelike complexional color as opposed to the ashen/blue that is predominant the majority of the time. What enhances the effect is its presence amidst the other dark blue/gray/black elements within the same shot. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Resolution is excellent as images are crisp, delineated and dimensionally strong. The visual design isn’t such that it offers high gloss, razor sharp quality but that doesn’t keep this presentation from looking great.

The lossless uncompressed PCM surround mix has excellent dynamic energy and palpable bass that help drive the film’s action based sequences. Detail and clarity are first rate as the sounds of gunfire, growling beasts, and hand to hand combat enrich the listening experience. The sound field is dimensional as it fills the room with the spatial, multi-layered nuance and seamless directional pans that correlate with the events unfolding onscreen. Dynamic range runs the gamut as the battle intense moments engage the entire surround platform. Bass response is solid so that it can be felt throughout the room. Dialog is crystal clear and tonally distinct, which rounds out an entertaining home theater audio presentation.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Underworld Ultra HD Blu-ray (Theatrical Cut)
    Disc 2: Underworld Blu-ray (Extended Cut)
  • Audio Commentary with Director Len Wiseman, Kate Beckinsale, and Scott Speedman
  • Outtakes
  • Fang vs. Fiction
  • Storyboard Comparison
  • Music Video
  • 7 Featurettes
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Directed by Len Wiseman from a screenplay by Danny McBride and based on a story by Kevin Grevioux and Len Wiseman & Danny McBride, Underworld needs little introduction among genre fans, and is the first, and best entry, in a film franchise that has seen three sequels, with a new release, Underworld: Blood Wars coming to theaters this January. I am pleased to report that its Ultra HD presentation from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is a complimentary one that includes a new Dolby TrueHD/Atmos immersive mix that enhances the film’s home theater experience. If you’re a fan, and are set up to take advantage of what this Ultra HD Combo Pack has to offer Underworld is a must have for your collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
lgans316, Roudan, aaronwt and 3 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
A guilty pleasure for me........this will be my triple dip ( 1st Superbit DVD, then Blu Ray,& now UHD ).
Phrehdd, Ulisescm and Ralph Potts like this.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-23-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 995
And here is one more of my favourite movies released in UHD/Atmos. I'm glad an Oppo 203 is the first piece of hardware to be ordered once the HT rebuild is completed.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
And here is one more of my favourite movies released in UHD/Atmos. I'm glad an Oppo 203 is the first piece of hardware to be ordered once the HT rebuild is completed.

Thanks for the great review Ralph. This is one of my favorite movies also - cannot wait to pick it up - looking forward to the Dolby Atmos track!
Ralph Potts likes this.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-23-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Kate in 4K + Atmos. Sign me up...good review Ralph.
Ralph Potts and aaronwt like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #6 of 21 Old 12-23-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Thanks for the review! I'll be sure to check it out when I get my UHD setup!

I was a big fan of this genre and very much enjoyed this series and watched it once a year or more often for quit a few years. I also enjoyed the Blade series. Although I'm not as big a fan as I used to be I'm eager to re-watch when I get my UHD setup, particularly for the new audio track, I've put this in my 3d bluray rental queue!

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #7 of 21 Old 12-23-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5270 Post(s)
Liked: 5544
Thank you Ralph! These are shipping from Amazon next week Dec 27th

can't wait to see it again w/ the ATMOS track, this movie was made for the JVC's!!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-24-2016, 04:43 AM
AVS Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Again, no extended version for 4k
Still looking forward to it based on your review.

Samsung 88Q9F - Samsung 75es9000 - Pioneer KRP-600m - Onkyo TX-RZ900 - Oppo UDP-203 - Oppo BDP-103D
post #9 of 21 Old 12-24-2016, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Awesome. This UBD coming on the 27th and my Oppo coming on the 28th, Sweet!!

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #10 of 21 Old 12-24-2016, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Hi

I never watched this movies before so don't know if I like it or not. Anyone has more information about this movie? And how is replay value? Thx
post #11 of 21 Old 12-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Hi

I never watched this movies before so don't know if I like it or not. Anyone has more information about this movie? And how is replay value? Thx
Well as it would be hard to tell if you would like it until you see it, but I love the collection and have probably watched this movie at least 15 times and now in 4K and Atmos, just added the cherry on the top!
Roudan likes this.

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #12 of 21 Old 12-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post
Well as it would be hard to tell if you would like it until you see it, but I love the collection and have probably watched this movie at least 15 times and now in 4K and Atmos, just added the cherry on the top!

Thanks Steve for your comments. If you can watch it 15 times, it must be a good movie. Ok I will order it . Thanks
SteveFred likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-24-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 145
This was one of the first blu-rays I bought,the subway shootout was demo material, can't imagine it in atmos!
dnoonie, Ralph Potts and Roudan like this.

Last edited by dholmes54; 12-24-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #14 of 21 Old 12-24-2016, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Cool, definitely picking this up, I'm sure the HDR will look great.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-25-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Kate is wonderful as Selene but it's as Nurse Lt. Evelyn Johnson in Pearl Harbor that she won my heart.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-26-2016, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
When the format will mature these movies will be released together for a bargain basement price much like the BD set I have.Patience is a virtue.
Ralph Potts and dnoonie like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #17 of 21 Old 12-27-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Ooooh ATMOS... yup this just got added to the list to buy again. ^_^
Ralph Potts likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #18 of 21 Old 12-29-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
I have to say I prefer the BD to the UHD on this release. Scaled to 4K the BD just looks better. Blacks are near perfect with lots of shadow detail.
The UHD on the other hand has crushed blacks and blown-out white details. Looks like another example of massively over-done HDR mastering. Mastered to 4000 nits which defies any understanding.
post #19 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
I just watched my BD copy from that boxed set I was refering to, and I forgot how terrible that sound mix was. I'm not sure how much an Atmos mix will improve things here, but the original mix presented on BD and any previous HV format is just poor. Mostly of the poor sound elements and amateurish mixing. The first subway shootout is a prime example, compare that to the Matrix's lobby shootout. No real bass anywhere and dynamics are very compressed. when the action starts the track just goes into the same monotone autopilot with very little imagination from the designers and mixers. It's just obnoxious really. They must have fired that team, since the sequels had none of those issues. I will have to borrow a copy of the 4K/Atmos disc to evaluate it on my own once actually I have such a setup,to see if I would pay for this once again.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #20 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I have to say I prefer the BD to the UHD on this release. Scaled to 4K the BD just looks better. Blacks are near perfect with lots of shadow detail.
The UHD on the other hand has crushed blacks and blown-out white details. Looks like another example of massively over-done HDR mastering. Mastered to 4000 nits which defies any understanding.
That is not my experience at all. The UHD looks better in every possible way to me. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this movie was using a fresh 4k scan as this is actually a new cut of the movie as best I can tell with elements from rise of the Lycans cut in to replace luciens original daughter.

They even rerendered the effects.
post #21 of 21 Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
When the format will mature these movies will be released together for a bargain basement price much like the BD set I have.Patience is a virtue.
Yes $9 is my price I am tired of triple dipping first DVDs then Blu Rays now UHD 4K!

Definitely on my queue to buy when at $9

I will only buy new UHD when they are $19 old movies that I already own I set the price at $9 no more thanks!

The only exception I might make is for the Fifth Element July 11th 2017

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fi...lu-ray/171526/

Sony released 7 version of Blu Ray for that movie!

Last edited by wse; 01-28-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page