• 2 Post By Ralph Potts

post #1 of 2 Old 02-03-2017, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked: 5853
Loving Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this powerful drama based on the true-life story of courage and commitment, as Richard and Mildred Loving, an interracial couple, fights for marriage equality in the case that went all the way to the United States Supreme Court in 1967.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2016
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 123 minutes
Genre: Drama/Biopic

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1, Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Joel Edgerton, Ruth Negga, Marton Csokas, Nick Kroll, Michael Shannon
Written & Directed by: Jeff Nichols
Music by:David Wingo
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: February 7, 2017

"All Love is Created Equal"

My Take:

Richard and Mildred Loving, fell in love and were married in 1958. The couple had grown up in Central Point, a small town in Virginia that was more integrated than surrounding areas in the American South. Yet it was the state of Virginia, where they were making their home and starting a family, that first jailed and then banished them. Richard and Mildred relocated with their children to the inner city of Washington, D.C.

While relatives made them feel welcome there, the more urban environment did not feel like home to them. Ultimately, the pull of their roots in Virginia would spur Mildred to try to find a way back. Their civil rights case, Loving v. Virginia, went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which in 1967 reaffirmed the very foundation of the right to marry. Richard and Mildred returned home and their love story has become an inspiration to couples ever since.

Before seeing Loving in the theater upon its release, I am ashamed to admit that I had never heard of this couple or the important Supreme Court case, inspired by their struggle. Written and Directed by Jeff Nichols, this is a stirring drama that details the Loving’s close relationship, mutual respect, and determination to be able to marry and reside in their home state of Virginia with fear of persecution by the local authorities. I found the subject matter as well as its depiction to be thoroughly engaging, not just from a historical perspective, but from a human one. The film is wonderfully enacted by Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga, as the Lovings. I was moved by their story and am thankful to them for their determination and sacrifice.

Loving tells an important story, which is relevant even today. I saw it with my wife and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Loving comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.5 Mbps.

The high definition video quality was on par with other new release films of its type, and looked great. Colors were natural looking with a pleasing and reserved quality that capably handled the somewhat limited palette required by the settings and clothing featured in the film. Flesh tones varied a bit with some appearing well delineated and lifelike while others had a slightly pale appearance. Contrast was spot on which augmented the beautifully captured natural lighting of the exterior locations featured in the film. Images were detailed and crisp, with definable lines and appreciable dimension. While I noticed sporadic occasions where resolution fluctuated slightly this appeared innate to the photography and never called fidelity into question. Blacks were strong with discernable gradational quality while detail in dark areas and low lit sequences was estimable which enhanced depth. The video was rendered well, and didn’t show any signs of compression related anomalies or video artifacts.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack readily handled the elements contained in this dialog driven film. The presentation retained a front-loaded perspective with well-defined and clearly articulated dialog that extended well into the room. Sounds were reproduced with discerning clarity and delineation that brought forth plenty of subtle nuance and low level detail. Surround activity was limited to rear channel spatial cues and occasional directional sounds. This isn’t a dynamically demanding soundtrack however this lossless presentation was a perfect match with the source material and sounded fine.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Making Loving – 4 minute featurette
  • (HD) A Loving Ensemble – 4 minute featurette
  • (HD) Loving v. Virginia – 4 minute featurette
  • (HD) Virginia: A Loving Backdrop – 3 minute featurette
  • Feature Length Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Jeff Nichols

Final Thoughts:

Written and Directed by Jeff Nichols Loving is a stirring and relevant drama based on the true story of Richard and Mildred Loving, an interracial couple, who fought for marriage equality in the case that went all the way to the United States Supreme Court in 1967. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring solid technical merits, mated with a fair supplemental package that includes insights from the cast and crew. Loving is worthwhile viewing for genre fans that are typically drawn to human dramas based on real life people.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
slimm and Aetherhole like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-04-2017, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ashamed of not knowing about this couple? You and every American should be ashamed that in 1967 (That's practically yesterday in 'nations' years) there existed a legal ground -debatable as it may be- for disallowing such marriage. Most advanced nation on earth? Most advanced my foot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page