The Edge of Seventeen Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gorilla Killa
  • 1 Post By Cal1981
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By powertoburn

post #1 of 5 Old 02-07-2017, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6132
The Edge of Seventeen Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this comedy of age comedy that focuses on Nadine, whose High-school life gets even more unbearable when her best friend, Krista, starts dating her older brother.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2016
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 105 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Halee Steinfeld, Woody Harrelson, Kyra Sedgwick, Haley Lu Richardson
Written & Directed by: Kelly Fremon Craig
Music by: Atli Orvarsson
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: February 14, 2017

"You’re Only Young Once…Is It Over Yet?"

My Take:

Nadine and Krista are inseparable best friends attempting to navigate high school together. But then Nadine’s world gets turned upside down when she finds out that Krista has been secretly dating her popular older brother behind her back. Now with her best friend as her worst enemy, Nadine has to deal with being an awkward loner, while discovering that what may feel like the end of the world is really just the beginning of growing up.

The Edge of Seventeen is a coming of age teen comedy that tackles familiar themes, but does so with a refreshing tone that has an air of nostalgia. Writer/Director Kelly Fremon Craig hits close to home in this snapshot look into the period in Nadine’s life, where the precipice of the abyss seems close enough, that falling in would be easier, than dealing with the “dreaded” circumstances in which she finds herself. Of course, it’s all relative, but through the eyes of a teenager, all seems lost, or is it? It’s the “or is it?” that makes The Edge of Seventeen so wonderfully edgy, and raw on the surface.

The character of Nadine may seem typical, but it’s the complexities surrounding her interpersonal relationships with Krista, her mother, and brother/nemesis Darian, and inner struggles with identity, loss, and being somewhat of a fish out of water, that prove rewarding. Icing on the cake are the establishment of the two people, in her teacher Mr. Bruner, and awkward classmate Erwin, that she never sees as allies, until the chips are down, proving that friendships don’t have to be old to be viable. Halee Steinfeld knocks it out of the park, with her performance serving as the film’s foundation. Shout outs go to Woody Harrelson and Hayden Szteo, for their supporting turns as Mr. Bruner and Erwin.

The Edge of Seventeen has a vibe that harkens back to the classic teen flicks of generations gone by. It may not stand quite on equal footing, but has an air of authenticity, that speaks to teen angst in a funny, spirited and moving way. I watched I with my entire family and we all had a good time with it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content, language, and some drinking – all involving teens.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Edge of Seventeen comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 36 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, and pleasing colors. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting is estimable which enhances depth. Images are clearly drawn, eye catching, and perfectly suited for the source material. I didn’t see any distracting signs of video artifacts or extraneous noise.

The front heavy lossless surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices are rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for surround activity and extended dynamics however there are a few instances that provide an appreciable level of spatial envelopment accompanied by a punchy low end.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Gag Reel – 5 minutes
  • (HD) 3 Deleted Scenes
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Written/Directed by Kelly Fremon Craig The Edge of Seventeen is a refreshing take on the coming of age teen drama/comedy, that is complimented by the excellent performance of lead Halee Steinfeld. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition picture/sound, mated with a disappointing supplement set. The Edge of Seventeen is perfect for genre fans that revel in something edgy and heartwarming. In that light, it’s highly recommended viewing on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-07-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 2078
I concur, saw this with my daughter and we both enjoyed it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-07-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Just a terrific film with a grand slam of a lead performance by Hailee Steinfeld. I thought that this was more of a "dramedy" than a straight comedy. There were a good number of funny moments but there were as many poignant and dramatic moments as well.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Just a terrific film with a grand slam of a lead performance by Hailee Steinfeld. I thought that this was more of a "dramedy" than a straight comedy. There were a good number of funny moments but there were as many poignant and dramatic moments as well.
Agreed. I saw this back in it's NDA stage, before theatrical release. The comedy is bit dark at times but is highly on target.
And thanks to Ralph for taking time to review this.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5 of 5 Old 06-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I finally saw this tonight. I really enjoyed it. I was surprised this was in DTS HD MASTR 7.1. The atmospheric was quite good and I enjoyed the music. The bass output at the party was quite believable. I enjoy watching the coming of age movies of the 80's and felt this was quite good. I kind of want to watch "Everybody Wants Some" now even though that involves college kids.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page