Bad Santa 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 1 Post By puddy77
  • 1 Post By wormraper
  • 2 Post By wormraper
  • 1 Post By hsinnott
  • 1 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 1 Post By popyang45

post #1 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6096
Bad Santa 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this follow-up to the 2003 cult classic, about a miserable conman and his partner that pose as Santa and his Little Helper to commit robberies.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Broadgreen Pictures - 2016
MPAA Rating: Unrated/R
Feature running time: 95/92 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English/Spanish DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Brett Kelly, Christina Hendricks, Kathy Bates, Octavia Spencer, Ryan Hansen, Jenny Zigrino, Jeff Skowron, Mike Starr
Directed by: Mark Waters
Music by: Lyle Workman
Written by: Johnny Rosenthal, Shauna Cross
Region Code: A

Release Date: February 21, 2017

"Giving the Holidays Another Shot"

My Take:

Fueled by cheap whiskey and greed, Willie Soke, teams up once again with his angry sidekick, Marcus , to knock off a Chicago charity run by curvaceous Diane. But the arrival of Willie’s horror story of a mother, Sunny, and “the kid” – Thurman Merman – may upset their plan.

Bad Santa is one of those films that most definitely fits into the category of guilty pleasure, leaving me feeling almost ashamed to admit that we watch it every year, and laugh at the same parts. When Bad Santa 2 was announced, my son was itching to check it out in the theater, but never did, especially after he heard about the poor reception it received. Fast forward, it arrives for review, I sit down with my wife and watch it. To be honest, I didn’t have any illusions that this was going to be a good movie, but even with that, I found it to be painful to watch.

It goes without saying that overtly crass, and sexually explicit language, innuendo and situations are part of the world Willie and his cohorts inhabit. That is taken up a notch, but the real issue lies in the ridiculous screenplay, which simply rehashes gags from the Bad Santa, while adding nothing but a series of nonsensical situations that aren’t funny or endearing characterizations that could possibly harken back to the original film. I watched the theatrical version, opting not to sit through the additional three minutes in the unrated cut. To say that I didn’t care for Bad Santa 2 would be an understatement. My wife liked it even less, citing it as one of the top 10 worst she has seen. Oh well, we still enjoy Bad Santa….

Parental Guide:

The rating is for crude sexual content and language throughout, and some graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

UHD Presentation: 66

• SDR: Dark Highlights:
  • SDR: Bright Highlights:
  • SDR: Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bad Santa 2 comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Broadgreen Pictures featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Bad Santa 2 is rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. With the limited exposure to Ultra HD either sourced from 2K or 4K Digital Intermediates we are left to judge based upon what we have seen thus far.

Let me start off by noting that Bad Santa in Ultra HD doesn’t include HDR, instead utilizing SDR. In general I found the image quality to be pleasing, but lacking the visual depth, dynamic range and enriching contrast associated with the better presentations I’ve seen from the format. In comparing the UHD video to the 1080p video, I noticed a slight increase in resolution, which drew out some of the finer details, especially during close-ups. At the end of the day the differences were minimal, with the Ultra HD rendering appearing like very good 1080p.

This presentation can’t be rated in all of the usual rating parameters, instead it will receive a numeric rating based upon its Resolution, Visual Impact and Standard Dynamic Range reproduction.

The front heavy lossless surround mix features dialog that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices were rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for surround activity and extended dynamics however there are a few instances that provide a discernable level of spatial envelopment accompanied be punchy low frequency enhancement.

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 86

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Bad Santa 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Broadgreen Pictures featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps.

This is a decent looking new release title from Broadgreen Pictures. Images onscreen exhibit plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that on occasion rises to higher levels especially during close ups which can be very revealing. Long range shots appear resolute with good dimensional depth and notable object detail. Bright exterior segments are punchy with crisp dynamic whites and appreciable texture. Colors are vivid, with slightly oversaturated primaries, notably red, that appear pleasing in high definition. Fleshtones are tonally divergent and appear predominantly lifelike in depiction. Blacks are respectable and shadow detail is revealing of appreciable levels of delineation in dark backgrounds and low lighting. I didn’t detect any deleterious artifacts or other video related anomalies.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Bad Santa 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Bad Santa 2 Blu-ray
  • (HD) Thurman Then and Now – 2 minute featurette
  • (HD) Just Your Average Red Band Featurette – 2 minutes
  • (HD) “That’s My Willie” Original Animated Series – 3 minutes
  • (HD) Jingle Balls
  • (HD) Trailers and Spots
  • (HD) Gag Reel – 4 minutes
  • (HD) Alternate Opening/Ending
  • (HD) Deleted Scenes – 2 minutes

Final Thoughts:

Bad Santa 2 is a poorly conceived and executed follow-up to 2003’s cult classic Bad Santa. I found it to be nothing more than a series of bad ideas and repetitive situational gags strung together. It comes to Blu-ray from Broadgreen Pictures in this Ultra HD Combo Pack featuring flat Ultra HD video, solid high definition audio/video quality and a bland assortment of extras that might appeal to those that enjoyed the movie. Bad Santa 2 is a big swing and miss, that is sure to disappoint fans that appreciated the original.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Couldn't agree more Ralph. Bad movie with a skimpy package from Broadgreen/Miramax (edited out Sony). I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why the heck my projector wasn't showing HDR until I finally looked at the Oppo info and saw that it was SDR REC.709 color space! WTF?
Ralph Potts and gonzalc3 like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Last edited by Dave Vaughn; 02-19-2017 at 11:11 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Couldn't agree more Ralph. Bad movie with a skimpy package from Sony. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why the heck my projector wasn't showing HDR until I finally looked at the Oppo info and saw that it was SDR REC.709 color space! WTF?
Greetings,

Yep. I put it together when I set the UHD input and the image looked completely wrong.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
For its presentation in Ultra HD Bad Santa 2 is rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K.
Hey Ralph, thanks for the review! IMDb doesn't say it (yet), but Bad Santa 2 actually had a 4k DI.

Quote:
The files with my LUTs, which I established in ACES on the set, are conformed to my final 4K version.
Quote:
For post, Van de Sande worked closely with Light Iron in creating the deliverables from his 2K sub-recordings and finishing the final color correction in 4K.
From this interview with the DP: http://www.panasonicforbusiness.com/...inema-cameras/
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Thanks for the review Ralph!
Definetely taking this one out if my watchlist.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Couldn't agree more Ralph. Bad movie with a skimpy package from Sony. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why the heck my projector wasn't showing HDR until I finally looked at the Oppo info and saw that it was SDR REC.709 color space! WTF?
it's actually from Broad Green Pictures, not Sony
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
it's actually from Broad Green Pictures, not Sony
You are correct. My bad...it came from the same PR agency that Sony uses, so I got confused. It still sucks though!

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #8 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
You are correct. My bad...it came from the same PR agency that Sony uses, so I got confused. It still sucks though!
haha, yeah, not disagreeing with you there.

and it does get a little confusing when the same PR rep sends out emails for Broad Green, Sony AND Well Go USA
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-20-2017, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Are they trying to kill off this new 4K format with all these appalling releases?
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
This is one of those sequels that give sequels a bad name. Ol Billy Bob owes me $4.99 as far as im concerned.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Frankly, the Oscar police should visit Billy Bob's house and then go to Bates' house after and confiscate their Oscars.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #12 of 12 Old 02-23-2017, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 72
i saw the film unfortunately

just throw up

disgusting, revolting,nasty ,repulsive ,horrid
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews