Doctor Strange 3D Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #61 of 108 Old 03-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Watched it the other night, and on one hand I liked it, Marvel movies are always very professionally crafted, expertly cast, look and sound great, & for the most part provide an entertaining 2 hour diversion. However, I also thought this one was maybe the most formulaic, paint-by-the-numbers Marvel movie yet. It reminded me of Roger Moore James Bond movies, formula as can be. Cumberbatch struck me as either unconvincing <when trying to be cool> or actually engaged in the role <lets get mad at Rachel McAdams so I can actually act for a minute>. Only Tilda Swinton really looked like she was enjoying herself. C+ from me.
jladner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 108 Old 03-04-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Excellent movie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superb123 View Post
The opening sequence of Marvel logo's 3d affects was spectacular, specially when Capt America throwing his shield at front of your face.
Another excellent scene is the butterfly, it had me swatting the front of my face. As always, a spot on review Ralph.. Movies like this keeps the 3D movie alive. great special effects with the buildings.
Glad I got a 3D projector, (JVC X35)..
Nice new pictures of your setup Ralph, is that extra seat in the rear for me?

post #63 of 108 Old 03-04-2017, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3d Needs to keep alive another 20 years,not just killing it. great and perfect 3d affects always outstanding,it feels like falling in to the picture screen and watching it with surround visuals,sometime even more feeling like I just really there!.
2d can't catch it at that level even 16k resolution 2d effects,never.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 108 Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Finally saw this for the first time last night. I watched the 3D version and now regret missing this at the theater, as this movie had some of the best 3D visuals I have seen in any movie. Being a Marvel/Disney production the CGI and audio were top notch in this film. I thought the story was a bit "meh" but I can understand that like the other Marvel superhero movies, the first one has to provide the foundation story for the character.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #65 of 108 Old 03-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Any scope screen users frame this to a constant 2.40 and if so, how did it do as far as the framing and 3d effects?
post #66 of 108 Old 03-05-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I watched this last night and wondered if anyone else had the image shifting with the depth changes in certain scenes. I was getting black bands of varying width appearing at the edges of the screen. I played with my 3D depth setting but it just moved the problem around. I've never seen this happen before with other movies. It seemed to introduce a lot of ghosting. Did anyone else experience this?
post #67 of 108 Old 03-05-2017, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Any scope screen users frame this to a constant 2.40 and if so, how did it do as far as the framing and 3d effects?
I watched it in this AR for the whole film and found the framing to be just fine (no chopped off heads). As far as the 3D effects are concerned, it also seemed to work but it would be good to compare it when watching in 16:9, which I haven't done yet.
Ralph Potts, Toe and gbaby like this.
post #68 of 108 Old 03-05-2017, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Gotta admit, I liked this movie. Was pleasantly surprised since I'm not a huge Marvel fan (as the comic book shop I frequent owners will attest).

I admit, the first few minutes didn't appeal to me, but after that I was riveted to the screen.
Ralph Potts and gbaby like this.
post #69 of 108 Old 03-07-2017, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
anyone know why Amazon has these as being in stock in 1-3 weeks? Is there some other retailer selling them exclusively for a while? Kinda strange for such a big title.
post #70 of 108 Old 03-07-2017, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbrowncoat View Post
anyone know why Amazon has these as being in stock in 1-3 weeks? Is there some other retailer selling them exclusively for a while? Kinda strange for such a big title.

Fwiw;
I preordered mine from Disney directly and it just came last night....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ctbrowncoat likes this.
post #71 of 108 Old 03-07-2017, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Having now watched the 3D blu-ray, I agree with Ralph's 3D score; while it's very good, it's not quite a flawless, reference-level 3D presentation. On the whole, it remains a highly entertaining movie that lends itself very well to 3D effects.
post #72 of 108 Old 03-07-2017, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I watched if for the first time - 3D on an Epson 3500 and 120" screen. I wear glasses so had 3D glasses ontop of 3d glasses. This probably makes for less than ideal viewing.

I liked it, but didn't love it. I've heard 3D is the way to go, and I can see why, but as a movie, it was OK otherwise.
post #73 of 108 Old 03-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 168
The 3D version of this movie had a lot of wow moments for me and was probably the best 3D movie I've seen. You owe it to yourself just to see this version of the movie for it's technical merits.

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #74 of 108 Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I've watched a lot of 3D movies on my LG 55UH8500+Samsung K8500 player, but I noticed more crosstalk that normal when watching DS 3D last night. I tried different passive glasses that I had but didn't make much difference.

did anyone else notice this? the 3D version of The Force Awakens had almost no crosstalk, as well as other discs that I've watched
jladner likes this.
post #75 of 108 Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
I've watched a lot of 3D movies on my LG 55UH8500+Samsung K8500 player, but I noticed more crosstalk that normal when watching DS 3D last night. I tried different passive glasses that I had but didn't make much difference.

did anyone else notice this? the 3D version of The Force Awakens had almost no crosstalk, as well as other discs that I've watched
This was my experience, honestly wondering if something is wrong with my copy based on the other reviews here. Lots of good effects but it seemed like the entire movie was slightly out of focus, it did not have the razor sharp detail I expected.
jladner likes this.
post #76 of 108 Old 03-08-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghaus View Post
This was my experience, honestly wondering if something is wrong with my copy based on the other reviews here. Lots of good effects but it seemed like the entire movie was slightly out of focus, it did not have the razor sharp detail I expected.
Strange (no pun intended, well... maybe), I noticed no cross talk in this movie whatsoever. Are there any specific time stamps that you might be able to tell us so we can try and report back?

The only instance that I've seen distinct cross talk was when watching Despicable Me 2, where there are soap bubbles protruding extensively against a black background.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #77 of 108 Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thumbs down

Quote:
I watched this last night and wondered if anyone else had the image shifting with the depth changes in certain scenes. I was getting black bands of varying width appearing at the edges of the screen. I played with my 3D depth setting but it just moved the problem around. I've never seen this happen before with other movies. It seemed to introduce a lot of ghosting. Did anyone else experience this?
YES! I did too and its been driving me nuts. It happened on both my Plasma and Projector setups so I know it isn't something specific to either. I actually exchanged the original at Best Buy today and sure enough even the new one has the same problem. I've never had a 3D disc that has done this so the only other thought I have is to flat out return with best buy and go buy another copy at somewhere like Target in case it was some sort of batch issue. I will say though it was a hug letdown since I could not unsee the problem so I ended up switching back to 2D just to enjoy the film.

Dan
post #78 of 108 Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 1824
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_dan View Post
YES! I did too and its been driving me nuts. It happened on both my Plasma and Projector setups so I know it isn't something specific to either. I actually exchanged the original at Best Buy today and sure enough even the new one has the same problem. I've never had a 3D disc that has done this so the only other thought I have is to flat out return with best buy and go buy another copy at somewhere like Target in case it was some sort of batch issue. I will say though it was a hug letdown since I could not unsee the problem so I ended up switching back to 2D just to enjoy the film.

Dan
I actually noticed this too. I thought it might have been my player. Glad to see it's not just me. But FYI, I watched the 3D disc in 2D. I just buy the Marvel 3D discs for the shifting aspect ratios. And I got mine from Target.
jladner likes this.
post #79 of 108 Old 03-11-2017, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

I totally agree. This had by far the most crosstalk of any 3D movie I have seen(and I have seen most of them). It was VERY distracting. I was tempted to just put in the 2D disc. Since others here haven't had this problem, maybe I will try to find a cheap used copy sometime and try again.
post #80 of 108 Old 03-12-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
While this movie was a commercial success, its buzz in the pre thread and this thread seems so much less than other marvel movies, why?

We watched it last night in 2D, it's a great movie, with easy future repeat viewings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts and gbaby like this.
post #81 of 108 Old 03-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Crosstalk Major Fail

I cant believe none of the reviewers have noticed and or commented on the crosstalk problem on this disk. Black bars constantly appear/disappear on each side of the screen throughout the film. Watching on my LG Oled - Ive never seen anything like this. Its plain bad.

Its definitely a mastering problem - im returning my disk.

Some guy
post #82 of 108 Old 03-15-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
I cant believe none of the reviewers have noticed and or commented on the crosstalk problem on this disk. Black bars constantly appear/disappear on each side of the screen throughout the film. Watching on my LG Oled - Ive never seen anything like this. Its plain bad.

Strange, Steevo. I've watched this on my OLED and did not notice ANY crosstalk. The black bars you talk about appearing and disappearing happens more than you probably realize, meaning not just in this movie. When there's a lot of Z-axis depth to the image, I think the image puts the black bars there on the sides to enhance the image depth further. I remember reading about that somewhere, although I can't remember where.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #83 of 108 Old 03-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
Strange, Steevo. I've watched this on my OLED and did not notice ANY crosstalk. The black bars you talk about appearing and disappearing happens more than you probably realize, meaning not just in this movie. When there's a lot of Z-axis depth to the image, I think the image puts the black bars there on the sides to enhance the image depth further. I remember reading about that somewhere, although I can't remember where.
Same for me with lack of crosstalk and also an OLED owner. OLEDs are super sensitive in regards to viewing height and distance. If you're too close and sitting too low or too high in comparison with your display, you're going to see crosstalk. I've dialed in my seating to avoid this since picking up my OLED. The changing aspect ratio I think was intended. I didn't really notice it much as I watched it last night and my room was dark. Thanks OLED black levels.

Denon X4200W, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Front Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RP-280FA Surround/Atmos (x2), RP-140SA Atmos (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D, Sony UBP-X800, Synology NAS
LG OLED65C6P
post #84 of 108 Old 03-29-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I watched this last night and I did not see any crosstalk nor did I notice any black bars appearing but I wasn't looking for them. I was watching this on a jvc x500 with playback coming from a raspberry pi2 which delivers a better 3D presentation than any of my BR players. I rate this movie as one of the best 3D movies I've seen esp. that trippy out-of-body experience (reminded me of 2001 a space odyssey when I first saw it on the big screen).
post #85 of 108 Old 03-29-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 455
This was definitely the best 3D non-IMAX movie I've watched at home! Great movie by itself, but the 3D really impressed me.
I did find it interesting that the aspect ratio seemed to switch a couple of times - made me glad I was watching it on a 16:9 screen Not sure where people were seeing crosstalk issues - but on my DLP projector I didn't see any.

I'm thinking that the "open your eye" scene is going to become one of my 3D demo scenes
Ralph Potts likes this.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
post #86 of 108 Old 04-01-2017, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Yeah, I see that too (on an LED TV), some guys i know also. It really is disturbing to watch. The black bar is mostly on the left side and appears/disappears as well as changing it's size - frequently. With the Imax enhanced picture you have size changes on every border and as result doesn't rly look professional to me. You can see it clearly in the following review: bluray.highdefdigest.com/40743/doctorstrange20162.html (especially 2nd comp. under "The Video: Sizing Up the Picture") f.e. without one word to it. Well, it might be the reviewers have such good playback devices they won't notice it (but you should be able to see it in the pictures you post online - my 2 cents).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
Even so, but this is the 2nd Film i recognized such behavior - it doesn't happen on idk exactly how many films i've watched in 3D, enough. Can't remember which was the first one, some low budget film i believe - and at the start of 3D. Anyhow, if the film is shot in 3D you don't have that problem at all and for converted films ... i'd guess they crop some frames!? (if you consider that right from start it's no problem.) This film is converted (check realorfake3d), that wouldn't be a problem per se (and 3D generally is great here) but ... nowadays and for such a Budget/Studio i would expect a bit more.

Sidenote: I heard the same goes for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". I definitely don't like that even blockbuster movies tend to break with quality when it get's to 3D.
post #87 of 108 Old 04-02-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_dan View Post

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
I actually noticed this too. I thought it might have been my player. Glad to see it's not just me. But FYI, I watched the 3D disc in 2D. I just buy the Marvel 3D discs for the shifting aspect ratios. And I got mine from Target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jladner View Post
I totally agree. This had by far the most crosstalk of any 3D movie I have seen(and I have seen most of them). It was VERY distracting. I was tempted to just put in the 2D disc. Since others here haven't had this problem, maybe I will try to find a cheap used copy sometime and try again.
Quote:

Just curious....what type of Bluray players are you guys using that notice the problem? Just wondering if this is related to a specific player or if is a bad batch of discs. I see one member that has the issue is using the Samsung k8500.
post #88 of 108 Old 04-02-2017, 08:37 AM

I tried on a PS4 Pro and PS3 slim, same behavior.
post #89 of 108 Old 04-02-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post
Just curious....what type of Bluray players are you guys using that notice the problem? Just wondering if this is related to a specific player or if is a bad batch of discs. I see one member that has the issue is using the Samsung k8500.
I'm using a PC. I took some screenshots and made a couple GIFs. Just watch the left side.

Bunga99 and IronWaffle like this.
post #90 of 108 Old 04-02-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks for responding guys. I guess it's not the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page