Doctor Strange 3D Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #1 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 6104
Doctor Strange 3D Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts the latest big screen entry from Marvel Studios that tells the story of a former neurosurgeon that embarks on a journey of healing only to be drawn into the world of the mystic arts.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/3D Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Disney - 2016
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 115 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2,39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Tilda Swinton, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Mads Mikkelsen, Benedict Wong
Directed by: Scott Derrickson
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by: Jon Spaihts, Scott Derrickson, C. Robert Cargill
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 28, 2017

"Question Reality. Change Your Destiny"

My Take:

From Marvel Studios comes Doctor Strange, the story of world-famous neurosurgeon Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), whose life changes forever after a horrific car accident renders his hands useless. When traditional medicine fails him, he travels to the remote Kamar-Taj in search of a cure, but instead discovers the mystical arts and becomes a powerful sorcerer battling dark forces bent on destroying our reality.

As I have previously mentioned in other Blu-ray reviews of films based on comic book heroes, I grew up reading Marvel comics and was a fan. As such, I knew of Doctor Stephen Strange, and his pivotal role in maintaining the balance between our world, and the unseen mystical realm surrounding it. I don't think I read single comic about the character, and honestly, had little interest, as I couldn’t connect with nature of his adventures and adversaries. When I read that Marvel's latest project centered on his character and who was portraying him, I was surprisingly quite interested. Unfortunately, despite hearing nothing but positive things about the film, I never got around to checking it out in the theater.

I went into viewing Doctor Strange with fairly high expectations, which were easily met. At 115 minutes the film is perfectly paced, beginning with setting up the character’s backstory, followed by his introduction to the mystical arts, then his mind-bending journey into mystical universe that would pit him against unimaginable foes bent on crossing over to this world, changing it forever. There is ample action to be found in the film, although it feels more like a top tier action/drama, thanks to an intelligently crafted script that doesn't overplay either, and slickly shifts back and forth (love the extended chase/battle that takes in Manhattan’s Mirror Dimension) . The special effects are as you would expect, top notch, and fun to watch.

I found Benedict Cumberbatch to be a perfect match to the character's persona. I could watch Rachel McAdams all day long, and hope to find her character with more of a role to play going forward. Tilda Swinton and Chiwetel Ejiofor are spot on and my man Mads Mikkelsen had zero problems handing the villainous Kaecilius. Doctor Strange is a rousingly entertaining addition to the Marvel Cannon. Its big-ticket action sequences, epic style plot, and solid performances make it lots of fun. I can't wait to see what's next!

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence and action throughout, and an intense crash sequence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

3D Presentation: 90

• Depth (Onscreen):
  • Dimension (Beyond the screen):
  • Realism:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:

Marvel's Doctor Strange 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 Mbps.

This film wasn’t shot natively in 3D and was converted in post-production. 3D conversions have shown discernible improvement since the format’s inception but can still be hit or miss. I have found that the subject matter can sometimes have an effect on what I am willing to accept from 3D in terms of how zealous its implementation is. A film like Doctor Strange seems like a good choice for a more “active” 3D presentation. That isn’t to say that natural depth and proportionate dimension should take a back seat. I found this to be a solid 2D to 3D conversion that kept me engaged without distraction. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp.

Depth is appreciable as evidenced by a predominantly natural sense of dimension as objects or people are layered in the foreground/background. Occasionally near field placement of people standing or moving through the frame had a bit of the cardboard cutout effect but it wasn’t a big deal. There are sequences that provide reach out and touch dimension as well as a bit of screen popping wizardry. This primarily revolves around the action based sequences and features flying objects, debris, or rotating landscapes. Comparing contrast, color, skin tone reproduction and detail reproduction to the 2D presentation I think that they appear identical. I didn’t observe any instances of crosstalk/ghosting. Overall Doctor Strange makes for an excellent and complimentary 3D experience that I preferred to the 2D version.

I had high expectations for this soundtrack on Blu-ray and this 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio presentation didn’t disappoint. This lossless soundtrack is reference quality and treated me to an impeccably detailed, dynamic, and enriching surround sound experience. Dialog has excellent presence with clear, defining vocal character and noteworthy room penetration. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose is definable yet never overstated. The sequence where Stephen’s car careens off of the roadway, and crashes is a great example as the mix places you within the vehicle from multiple perspectives replicating the intensity of accident.

The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a seamless transference during panning sequences. The active sound design utilizes the subwoofer to accentuate its already extended dynamic range. The battle in Hong Kong during the finale brings everything together in excellent room shaking fashion. The quality of the bass is excellent as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and resonating low frequency detail. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with this terrific soundtrack. Doctor Strange is demonstrative worthy and makes for an entertaining home theater experience.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Doctor Strange comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps.

This is a reference quality video presentation that looks great on Blu-ray. Shot in high definition, images have a rich dynamic quality that highlights its near flawless rendering of detail. The video has excellent dimension, smooth rendering and defining clarity. The visual design features a limited color scheme that is aesthetically perfect for the subject matter. The majority of the film boasts deep shades of gray, blue, sepia, white and black. These colors are not vivid in tonality but their depiction is stark and fully appreciable onscreen. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages that only occasionally obscure the finest details. The various wide angle shots, darkened interiors and brightly lit open exterior expanses look terrific. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. This is a sophisticated visual design that successfully combines live action and CGI. The end result is a rewarding video presentation that evokes the spirit of the film.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Doctor Strange 3D Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Doctor Strange Blu-ray
  • (HD) A Strange Transformation – 9 minute featurette
  • (HD) Strange Company – 12 minute featurette
  • (HD) The Fabric of Reality – 12 minute featurette
  • (HD) Across Time and Space – 13 minute featurette
  • (HD) The Score-cerer Supreme – 9 minute featurette
  • (HD) Marvel Studios Phase 3 Exclusive Look – 7 minutes
  • (HD) Team Thor: Part 2 – 4 minutes
  • (HD) 5 Deleted Scenes
  • (HD) Gag Reel
  • Audio Commentary by Director Scott Derrickson
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy
  • Digital Movies Anywhere - Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) is an engaging and family-friendly cloud-based digital movie service that makes it simple to buy your favorite Disney, Pixar and Marvel movies once and watch them anywhere. With DMA you can explore Disney’s library of over 400 eligible digital movies, discover hours of new and exclusive short-form content, and watch your digital movies from the comfort of the living room or across multiple mobile devices. In addition, you can redeem Digital Copy codes found in Disney, Pixar and Marvel Blu-rays and DVDs, as well as earn Disney Movie Rewards points with every digital purchase. Sign up and access Disney Movies Anywhere for free on DisneyMoviesAnywhere.com and through the Disney Movies Anywhere iOS and Android apps. Users can then simply connect their iTunes, Google Play and/or VUDU at VUDU.com/DMA accounts to begin enjoying their Disney, Pixar, and Marvel digital movie collections across platforms and devices.

Final Thoughts:

Doctor Strange is a rousingly entertaining addition to the Marvel Cannon. Its big ticket action sequences, epic style plot, and solid performances make it lots of fun. It comes to Blu-ray in this 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack from Disney featuring reference quality high definition video, invigorating DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio surround sound, a complimentary 3D rendering and a fan friendly supplemental package. Doctor Strange looks and sounds great on Blu-ray, and comes highly recommended for Marvel film fans.

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
muzz, dew42, Aetherhole and 6 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
What's up with the release dates on this? Seems like only BB and Target are selling it.
post #3 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
+1 on your review Ralph. Dr Strange is nice addition to the Marvel catalog with high quality CG and has terrific DTS-HA MA audio. As usual, we used DSU processing and that created a very nice sound bubble really enhancing the experience. It's one of those reference level films that makes having a capable HT well worth the cost/effort.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I see Vudu has it as well. But only for purchase.

I'd be curious to hear a review of the audio up mixed with Dolby Surround or DTS:X
post #5 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
I see Vudu has it as well. But only for purchase.

I'd be curious to hear a review of the audio up mixed with Dolby Surround or DTS:X
I purchased via VUDU and used DSU as noted above.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #6 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 213
So I see that Disney still isn't onboard with 4K and sound object surround sound.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #7 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
What's up with the release dates on this? Seems like only BB and Target are selling it.
Amazon and Disney are in a spat over selling Disney movies on amazon.com
post #8 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Ralph,

Great review. Does the 3D version have the shifting aspect ratio like the 3D version of Captain America: Civil War? Thanks in advance.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #9 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
We saw this in 3D when it opened in our local theater. Marvel really knows how to bring it's characters to life and Benedict Cumberbatch was the perfect choice to play Doctor Strange.. The movie, with it's bending buildings and it's other wild special effects was made for 3D and did not disappoint. The image and portrayal of depth were spot on and, as Ralph noted, should look great on home viewing. It's a shame that all of the TV manufacturers have discontinued the use of 3D in their 2017 product lines because movies like Doctor Strange provide a unique experience when viewed this way.
post #10 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Ralph,

Great review. Does the 3D version have the shifting aspect ratio like the 3D version of Captain America: Civil War? Thanks in advance.
Greetings,

Yes. Throughout..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
We saw this in 3D when it opened in our local theater. Marvel really knows how to bring it's characters to life and Benedict Cumberbatch was the perfect choice to play Doctor Strange.. The movie, with it's bending buildings and it's other wild special effects was made for 3D and did not disappoint. The image and portrayal of depth were spot on and, as Ralph noted, should look great on home viewing. It's a shame that all of the TV manufacturers have discontinued the use of 3D in their 2017 product lines because movies like Doctor Strange provide a unique experience when viewed this way.
Greetings,

+1 Cal..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
I saw Dr Strange in the Dolby Cinema and it was stunning! Whats taking Disney so long to jump into 4K. I hope they're just waiting on Dolby Vision to get some traction at home.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #13 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
Amazon and Disney are in a spat over selling Disney movies on amazon.com
That may be, but it doesn't affect any other Disney titles that I can see.
post #14 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I saw Dr Strange in the Dolby Cinema and it was stunning! Whats taking Disney so long to jump into 4K. I hope they're just waiting on Dolby Vision to get some traction at home.
If I remember correctly, they didn't jump on board right away with Blu-rays either. They probably want to wait until things get normalized before jumping onboard.

Regarding this film, I thoroughly enjoyed it in the theaters. I can't wait to get my hands on the 3D version to watch at home! As Ralph mentioned, it certainly seemed like a film stylized catered for the technology. Even while I watched it theaters I remember even thinking that I should have seen this in 3D.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #15 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Absolute shame that this film isn't in 4K HDR. Almost as if Doctor Strange was made for HDR. Starting to really hate Disney almost as much as when they ruined ESPN with that purchase.

I almost want to hold out on buying the film, but liked it too much in the Dolby Cinema viewing I had when it was released.

LG 65B6 OLED 4K HDR| Pioneer ELITE VSX-52 | Samsung K8500 4K Blu Ray | Polk Audio RTi and CS2 5.1 | Video cables by Monoprice! Audio cables by Audioquest
PS4 Pro| Apple TV | Sonos | Amazon Echo
post #16 of 108 Old 02-20-2017, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post
Absolute shame that this film isn't in 4K HDR. Almost as if Doctor Strange was made for HDR. Starting to really hate Disney almost as much as when they ruined ESPN with that purchase.

I almost want to hold out on buying the film, but liked it too much in the Dolby Cinema viewing I had when it was released.
Saw this in DOLBYVISION 2D and IMAX 3D. The IMAX 3D version wins hands down!

So there's no need to have a conniption fit over this movie's unavailability in HDR.
post #17 of 108 Old 02-21-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Thank you Mr. Potts for another great review. I read another review of this movie from others that diminished it to trash so I have been avoiding it up to this point.
Knowing your reviews have almost perfectly lined up with my personal observations, this movie will be going back on my list immediately . In fact, will place the order
today, time for some new material I believe.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 02-21-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: No Need To Quote the Entire Review
post #18 of 108 Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Thank you Mr. Potts for another great review. I read another review of this movie from others that diminished it to trash so I have been avoiding it up to this point.
Knowing your reviews have almost perfectly lined up with my personal observations, this movie will be going back on my list immediately . In fact, will place the order
today, time for some new material I believe.
Greetings,

Awesome roxiedog13. Looking forward to hearing what you think..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #19 of 108 Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I'm a little disappointed this film didn't get a perfect 3D score... the material is an ideal fit, and it looked great at the theater.
WOLVERNOLE and Ralph Potts like this.
post #20 of 108 Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I'm a little disappointed this film didn't get a perfect 3D score... the material is an ideal fit, and it looked great at the theater.
Greetings,

No worries tezster. You won't be disappointed..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #21 of 108 Old 02-21-2017, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Thanks for the 3D review!!
post #22 of 108 Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Ralph,

Given the 3D in this film may rekindle consumers' interest in 3D for the home, would you be willing & able to construct a list of your Top 25 3d blu rays and post them here? Where would this film rank on that list?

TIA
NSCTripleAgent likes this.
post #23 of 108 Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
So I see that Disney still isn't onboard with 4K and sound object surround sound.
But at least it is a Disney 3d release. Disney seems to hate releasing movies in 3d for home.
post #24 of 108 Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
But at least it is a Disney 3d release. Disney seems to hate releasing movies in 3d for home.
???
it seems like every Marvel Universe title has been released as 2D and 3D, for a few years now, and that's what Dr Strange is

just about every Disney animated movie also seems to be released in 2D and 3D as well

even SW:TFA and the upcoming April release of Rogue One had 3D releases

besides Disney, Sony appears to be the only other distributor that still releases 3D on home media
post #25 of 108 Old 02-22-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
???
it seems like every Marvel Universe title has been released as 2D and 3D, for a few years now, and that's what Dr Strange is

just about every Disney animated movie also seems to be released in 2D and 3D as well

even SW:TFA and the upcoming April release of Rogue One had 3D releases

besides Disney, Sony appears to be the only other distributor that still releases 3D on home media
They did not release Frozen or The Good Dinosaur in 3D, which is entirely perplexing.

post #26 of 108 Old 02-22-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
They did not release Frozen or The Good Dinosaur in 3D, which is entirely perplexing.
The Good Dinosaur was released in 3D Blu-Ray, I own it. Frozen 3D was released in the U.K. on 3D BD. You can get it on Amazon for only $16. Its a region free disc.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #27 of 108 Old 02-22-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ralph thank you very much for the 3d review! Much appreciated. Gunna pick it up at Best Buy.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #28 of 108 Old 02-22-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
This movie was made for 3D (and was well executed). It's hard to imagine 3D not being available in the future. Some manufacturers may take advantage of this niche (there are people, like myself, who enjoy 3D ).
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #29 of 108 Old 02-22-2017, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
The Good Dinosaur was released in 3D Blu-Ray, I own it. Frozen 3D was released in the U.K. on 3D BD. You can get it on Amazon for only $16. Its a region free disc.
Oh there was another movie then... I thought it was the Good Dinosaur. Either way, Frozen was definitely not released here in the States. Which is still entirely perplexing, especially given how well the movie did overall.
Reddig likes this.

post #30 of 108 Old 02-22-2017, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
Oh there was another movie then... I thought it was the Good Dinosaur. Either way, Frozen was definitely not released here in the States. Which is still entirely perplexing, especially given how well the movie did overall.
Yes it was very odd they didn't do a wide 3D BD release of Frozen. The year it was released I remember reading they planned to release a 3D BD pack that holiday but it never came out. Soon after 3D releases for the home started to dwindle and I believe a big reason besides waining 3D sales was because of UHD BD. Studios looking ahead had 4K in there sights on the home release front. Disney will soon be releasing UHD discs its inevitable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page