Unforgiven Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 6 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By fvbounty
  • 1 Post By MIkeDuke
  • 2 Post By Tom Bley
  • 1 Post By JohnAV
  • 1 Post By Aras_Volodka
  • 1 Post By KRGM1
  • 1 Post By djb61230
  • 1 Post By Rolls-Royce
  • 1 Post By Geoff D
  • 1 Post By robsis
  • 2 Post By Lozin

post #1 of 22 Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 5888
Unforgiven Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this classic American film from Director Clint Eastwood, which won four Academy Awards, and is making its debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 1992
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 132 minutes
Genre: Western

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, Richard Harris, Frances Fisher, Saul Rubinek, Jaimz Woolvet
Directed by: Clint Eastwood
Music by: Lennie Niehaus
Written by: David Webb Peoples
Region Code: A

Release Date: May 16, 2017

"It’s a Hell of a Thing, Killing a Man"

My Take:

Unforgiven is the unsparing Western saga of a man who cannot escape his violent destiny, on the harsh American Frontier where heroes and legends rise and fall. Eleven years have passed since Billy Munny (Eastwood) laid down his weapons, dedicating himself to his young children and struggling farm. But when a huge bounty lures Munny back into action with his loyal partner, Ned Logan (Freeman), the tortured former gunslinger faces vicious sheriff Little Bill Daggett (Bill Hackman) and the lethally elegant mercenary English Bob (Harris). Even more terrifying, Munny finds himself regressing into the cold-blooded killer he once was.

Unforgiven is among Clint Eastwood’s best work, on both sides of the camera. Not your prototypical western, containing larger than life characters and shoot ‘em up action, this is an engaging, character driven western drama that bristles with thematic depth, stemming from a wonderfully shaped narrative that upends convention with superlative subtext. It is among my favorite westerns and what I consider to be Eastwood’s finest performance. Unforgiven is considered to be a modern classic, winning four Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and being named to the American Film Institute’s Top 100. This Ultra HD Blu-ray marks the fourth time I have owned it on home video, and watching It never gets old.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and violence, and some sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

UHD Presentation: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Unforgiven comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

For this 25th anniversary release Warner remastered Unforgiven from the original 35mm film elements. Its presentation in Ultra HD is derived from the 4K Digital Intermediate.

It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. A film like Unforgiven has an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of optics that won't result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of a film shot using digital cameras. This isn't a problem and shouldn't be seen as such.

This is period film that utilizes a variety of visuals to convey its time frame, mood, and thematic tone. The cinematography uses lighting schemes, shadows and low lit environs, that can often impart a dark visual aesthetic. This is purposeful and comes across in this rendering. Looking at the film's opening sequence the improvement in depth and definition is noticeable, especially during the daytime scenes as Ned, the Kid, and Will set out on their journey. I could detect some finer details present during interiors and in backgrounds during wide angle shots. The nighttime exterior shots of the various landscapes didn’t offer a marked improvement in dimension, but sharpness was stable. The color range in the film is narrow, with only the occasional use of primary colors like red and blue appearing onscreen.

I found the presentation to be very tame in terms of its use of dynamic highlights, both bright and dark, however some of that is owed to the nature of the photography. Overall the image didn't make any visually compelling use of interstitial black levels offset by vivid bright elements. In general, the image, which looked fine overall, lacked a stark improvement when compared to the Blu-ray rendering, which may speak to the quality of that encode. Again, I believe that what we are seeing is a faithful rendering of the film’s elements, which when all is said and done, is all we can ask for. The question now becomes, is the Ultra HD version worth considering over the Blu-ray? I would say that if you’re a fan and truly want to own Unforgiven in its finest form, the answer is, yes. If you’re happy with the Blu-ray and are hoping for a night and day difference, the UHD rendering may disappoint you.

The DTS-HD Master Audio mix presents this soundtrack’s elements quite naturally. There is lots of spoken dialog in the film but it contains a variety of sounds and music that benefit from the high resolution afforded by lossless sound. The recording sounds a little dated but refined and dynamically supported. Sound effects are cleanly reproduced and free from strident highs or an edgy midrange. The front soundstage is narrow, but opens up nicely during several sequences. There isn’t much in the way of active surround sound or deep low frequency effects but the application of supportive rear channel ambience and upper level bass adds an enriching element that enhances the presentation.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Unforgiven Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Unforgiven Blu-ray
  • Commentary by Clint Eastwood Biographer Richard Schickel
  • 4 Documentaries
  • Classic Maverick Episode “Duel at Sundown”
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Unforgiven is a classic American film that is beloved by many and heralded as one of the best western movies of all time. This Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack, which includes the 20th Anniversary Blu-ray release marks its third foray onto Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment. If you’re set up for Ultra HD Blu-ray and don’t already own the 20th Anniversary Blu-ray release this offering is an excellent choice. If you already own the 20th Anniversary release, the option to upgrade will depend on how important the minor improvement in overall video quality is to you. For me, watching Unforgiven in Ultra HD is the only way that I will watch it going forward. If you want to take your cue from that, than you have your answer.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 05-30-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thanks for the review, brings back a lot of memories, have to pick it up, still my favorite Clint movie of all times is The Good, The Bad and the Ugly...and like you I don't know how many times I've bought it and watched it....
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG 65EF9500 OLED
Denon AVR-S720W
Sony UBP-X800
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
Xfinity 4K XG1v4 DVR
post #3 of 22 Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I have been waiting for this one ever since I saw it going to be released in UHD. I only have the DVD version so I am sure this will be an upgrade. Plus, it's a great movie to boot. Lil Bill is just so damn nasty. But then, I guess Will is too. And remember "Deserves got nothin to do with it." Looking forward to checking this out.
BTW, nice review Ralph .
Ralph Potts likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 05-22-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-22-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Always enjoy reading your reviews, thanks Ralph!

You really mean "Thing" I think.

"It’s a Hell of a Think, Killing a Man"
MIkeDuke and Ralph Potts like this.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-22-2017, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Always enjoy reading your reviews, thanks Ralph!

You really mean "Thing" I think.

"It’s a Hell of a Think, Killing a Man"
Greetings,

Thanks for catching that Tom! It reads correctly now..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6 of 22 Old 05-22-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
I found the presentation to be very tame in terms of its use of dynamic highlights, both bright and dark, however some of that is owed to the nature of the photography. Overall the image didn't make any visually compelling use of interstitial black levels offset by vivid bright elements. In general, the image, which looked fine overall, lacked a stark improvement when compared to the Blu-ray rendering, which may speak to the quality of that encode. Again, I believe that what we are seeing is a faithful rendering of the film’s elements, which when all is said and done, is all we can ask for. The question now becomes, is the Ultra HD version worth considering over the Blu-ray? I would say that if you’re a fan and truly want to own Unforgiven in its finest form, the answer is, yes. If you’re happy with the Blu-ray and are hoping for a night and day difference, the UHD rendering may disappoint you.
You stated quite a lot in that paragraph.

Ok do we or don't we want a UHD BD that is faithful to the original photography? Most certainly you can see instances of higher resolving of details during some scenes, mostly attributed the lighting and more stable camera work. Or is everyone expecting amazing HDR improvements from older/classic films such as this 1992 one based from 35 mm negatives? The fire flickering at night scenes aren't even close to Revelent UHD, but I could differently discern the increased resolution. So are expectations skewed now? Not even sure Dolby Vision would do that much with this older material!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #7 of 22 Old 05-23-2017, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
You stated quite a lot in that paragraph.

Ok do we or don't we want a UHD BD that is faithful to the original photography? Most certainly you can see instances of higher resolving of details during some scenes, mostly attributed the lighting and more stable camera work. Or is everyone expecting amazing HDR improvements from older/classic films such as this 1992 one based from 35 mm negatives? The fire flickering at night scenes aren't even close to Revelent UHD, but I could differently discern the increased resolution. So are expectations skewed now? Not even sure Dolby Vision would do that much with this older material!
I don't think there is anything to stop UHD grading from boosting contrast levels, 35mm has just as much dynamic range as digital. Star Wars TFA was shot on film & really has a ton of nice HDR moments. I think it depends more on the content & the directors themselves. For example, I could see a very conservative approach taken for remastering Kuberick films. Though I could see something like Terminator 2 or Aliens being re-graded for HDR taking advantage of more dynamic range. UHD HDR is still a pretty new thing too so I would expect at some point there will be older titles that will take advantage of HDR. + atmos
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-23-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 2998
I'd be satisfied if I could just get hold of this one. Ship dates keep getting pushed back. Seems like only the grey market & eBay sellers have it.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I'd be satisfied if I could just get hold of this one. Ship dates keep getting pushed back. Seems like only the grey market & eBay sellers have it.
Just placed my order from Walmart, I ordered a couple of other items to get the free 2 day shipping, due to arrive 5/25. My only copy is on an HD DVD so I think this should be an improvement.

Thanks for the great review Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-26-2017, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Same here, Amazon still has no ship date? Warner B. must be making limited supply to see how they sell.

Bill
post #11 of 22 Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 2998
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post
Same here, Amazon still has no ship date? Warner B. must be making limited supply to see how they sell.
Appears to be a WallyWorld exclusive at least for the month.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-26-2017, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I didn't get this new 4K version as my projector is still 1080p. I watched the blu ray which has been in my library for a long time and I can't remember the last time I watched it. Such a great movie. Gene Hackman is so terrific and of course can't do better than Clint.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-26-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Got mine at a Best Buy a couple of days ago. I have it on DVD and HD-DVD (yep, I'm one of those guys), so I'm eager to see how it looks in this format.
Ralph Potts likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #14 of 22 Old 05-27-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I have the HD DVD and was thinking of getting the Blu (just keep watching my HD DVD copy, so I haven't gotten around to the Blu). I read somewhere that the Blu in this UHD set is actually a new mastering (based on the master used for the UHD) and not just the Blu from an earlier release. That reviewer strongly suggested anyone interested in the new master, even if not equipped for UHD (like me), should get the UHD release, as the new Blu will not be released on its own (at least not anytime soon). Would anyone want to take a crack at comparing the 2012 Blu with this 2017 Blu to see if there is a notable difference? If so, I'd likely spring for the UHD (even if I have no plans to move in that direction generally) as this is one of my favourite films. Thoughts?
post #15 of 22 Old 05-28-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 635
@Ralph Potts

Is the included 1080p Blu-ray based upon the same 4K remaster or is it the same as the old Blu-ray? My thinking is that UHD Labyrinth and Crouching Tiger both came with remastered 1080p Blu-ray discs that blow the old discs out of the water, so this could be worth buying even for 1080p enthusiasts.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-28-2017, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
@Ralph Potts

Is the included 1080p Blu-ray based upon the same 4K remaster or is it the same as the old Blu-ray? My thinking is that UHD Labyrinth and Crouching Tiger both came with remastered 1080p Blu-ray discs that blow the old discs out of the water, so this could be worth buying even for 1080p enthusiasts.
Greetings,

Nathan, the included Blu-ray is the same as the remastered Blu-ray release from 2012. It isn't the original Blu-ray release.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #17 of 22 Old 05-28-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Nathan, the included Blu-ray is the same as the remastered Blu-ray release from 2012. It isn't the original Blu-ray release.

Regards,
The movie has never had a remastered Blu-ray IIRC, only the existing one repackaged over and over a la Goodfellas. The 1080p Blu-ray included with the UHD is also a brand-new effort created from the 4K restoration.
IronWaffle likes this.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-30-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Not trying to steal @Ralph Potts thunder here, but Blu-ray.com brings some clarity to all of this:

Quote:
Nevertheless, it has now been superseded by this 25th Anniversary UHD, which is derived from a new 4K scan of the original camera negative and has been approved by Eastwood. Included in the UHD package is a remastered standard Blu-ray created from the same scan, which, at present, is not separately available... Unlike Warner's UHD of Goodfellas, which was out-sourced, the 4K master of Unforgiven was entirely prepared by Warner's Motion Picture Imaging facility, which has been responsible for all the important catalog restorations released by the studio and has become the "go to" post house for the Warner Archive Collection. MPI scanned Unforgiven's original camera negative at 4K, followed by extensive and meticulous color correction in both SDR and HDR by two of the facility's senior colorists. Side-by-side tests were conducted using a freshly minted answer print to satisfy all involved that the final product represents the best possible reproduction of the film screened for audiences in 1992. The finished 4K master was reviewed and approved by Clint Eastwood and his team...
So this is not based upon the 2011/2012 remaster used for the 20th AE, but is entirely new for the 25th AE.

#ordered
post #19 of 22 Old 05-30-2017, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Not trying to steal @Ralph Potts thunder here, but Blu-ray.com brings some clarity to all of this:

So this is not based upon the 2011/2012 remaster used for the 20th AE, but is entirely new for the 25th AE.

#ordered

Greetings,

Great! Wasn't aware of this Nathan. The press release didn't specify, which left me believing the Blu-ray was the same restoration contained on the 2012 20th anniversary Digibook Blu-ray release. Thanks much for providing the details.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #20 of 22 Old 05-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Pulled the trigger on this at Best Buy (with a coupon!) today. Looks the best I've ever seen it.

Thanks for the honest review, Ralph! (and another notch for the "Ralph recommends it!" pile!)
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #21 of 22 Old 06-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I've never seen this movie before other than maybe 5 or so minutes when it's occasionally on amc. I ordered it along with Dredd off Amazon last night and it's shipped already. Glad I waited for the 4K release.
Ralph Potts and gwsat like this.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-12-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Cool, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page