Logan Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #1 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Logan Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the defining chapter in the cinematic saga of one of the greatest comic book heroes ever created as Hugh Jackman reprises his iconic role as The Wolverine for one final time in a raw, powerfully dramatic standalone story of sacrifice and redemption.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2017
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 137 minutes
Genre: Action/Drama

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/Dolby TrueHD 7.1, English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Richard E. Grant, Boyd Holbrook, Stephen Merchant, Dafne Keen
Directed by: James Mangold
Music by: Marco Beltrami
Written by:Scott Frank, James Mangold, Michael Green
Region Code: A

Release Date: May 23, 2017

"His Time Has Come"

My Take:

It’s 2029. Mutants are gone—or very nearly so. An isolated, despondent Logan is drinking his days away in a hideout on a remote stretch of the Mexican border, picking up petty cash as a driver for hire. His companions in exile are the outcast Caliban and an ailing Professor X, whose singular mind is plagued by worsening seizures. But Logan’s attempts to hide from the world and his legacy abruptly end when a mysterious woman appears with an urgent request—that Logan shepherd an extraordinary young girl to safety. Soon, the claws come out as Logan must face off against dark forces and a villain from his own past on a live-or-die mission, one that will set the time-worn warrior on a path toward fulfilling his destiny.

As a fan of Marvel Comics, Marvel films, The X-Men, and The Wolverine, I was of course first in line to see Logan when it hit theaters. Of the Marvel characters brought to life on the big screen, The Wolverine, and actor Hugh Jackman’s portrayal of him, is among my favorites. Over the years, we have had the opportunity to Logan’s continuing struggle with his humanity, and the visceral edge that his life experience brought with it. I felt that Logan framed that beautifully. This is a heady story that exists apart from the X-Men mythology, featuring a completed circle for the character as he tries for the final time to right a wrong.

Hands down this is a prolifically violent film, however, it’s not simply for the sake of being such, but rather speaks to the character’s essence, and a life spent encountering uphill struggles fraught with heartbreak, and tumultuousness. As I watched it, both times, I found myself completely engaged by the story’s drama, action, and character driven elements. The narrative pushes the envelope, unabashedly laying the foundation of what is to come, sometimes in a visceral fashion, that some viewers may find disturbing.

I thoroughly enjoyed Logan. It’s dark, compelling, and befittingly brings the character full circle, in a meaningful fashion, that closes one chapter, and potentially opens another. The sort of road trip aspect of the plot works perfectly, allowing a viable connection to the relationship between Logan and Laura, which is truly as the heart of the story. I love what they did with the character of Laura, and found young Dafne Keen’s portrayal to be spot on, and in keeping with the essence of The Wolverine’s headstrong, impassioned and brutal nature. I Found Logan every bit as entertaining in this second viewing as I did in the first, perhaps even more so. Props go to Hugh Jackman, Director Mangold, newcomer Dafne Keen, the supporting cast, and the production team.

In addition to nearly 90 minutes of original content, including deleted scenes and a behind-the-scenes documentary, this set also includes Logan Noir, a black and white version of the film, in both Ultra HD and 1080p, that gives the acclaimed story an all-new look.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

Th rating is for strong brutal violence and language throughout, and for brief nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Logan comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 4.7 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD, Logan was derived from a mix of digital sources, and rendered from a 4K DI. With the limited exposure to Ultra HD sourced from 4K Digital Intermediates we are left to judge based upon what we have seen thus far.

Logan is an action based drama that has a specific visual aesthetic which comes through quite naturally in this Ultra HD rendering. With a discernible increase in detail and depth the image appears a bit more vivid and lifelike when compared to the 1080p version, which is excellent in its own right. Primary colors such red and blue are pleasingly rich while whites appear gradational and punchy. The film contains a host of sequences that take place in low/limited lighting, and the increased dimension in blacks and shadows is appreciable.

I find the natural rendering of light via its discernible stages and incremental highlights to be one of the presentation's big pluses. This is the case during brightly lit exteriors, such as the scene where Pierce and company raid Logan’s compound in search of Laura, or when they arrive in Eden. On the flip side, dark elements mixed with bright highlights, such as those that take place in the water tower used to house Charles, or the engagement at the farmhouse, look terrific.

The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. At times the level of minutia is excellent, as even the finest nuance in the physical features, period clothing, sets, and props is resolvable. The film incorporates some CGI but in general I didn’t observe any odd-looking proportions or deleterious softening. All in All, a great looking UHD presentation.

* Note: I watched select scenes of Logan Noir and found the equality of the presentation to be equal to the theatrical UHD experience, save for the lack of color. The same held true for the 1080p version.*

Logan has a very solid 7.1 channel surround mix on Blu-ray, so I wondered if the immersive experience would truly improve upon it. In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics, directional fills, and discrete effects. This is done very well, adding a tangible level of immersion that supports the onscreen elements. During the brief chase/fight at the compound, the runaway horses/highway sequence, or either of Charles’ seizure events, the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field. Audio object placement, from both above, and in the ear level listening plane are put to effective use. The various sounds and atmospherics featured throughout the film feel more realistic in terms of their acoustics and size.

The music score is mixed throughout the soundfield adding a notable boost in presence. In comparison, the 7.1 channel mix in noticeably enveloping, but the Atmos mix raises it to the next level. I also noticed that the Atmos presentation added a bit more low frequency punch. This was the case across the board, with even subtle sound effects having more tangibility.

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
[*]DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Logan comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 Mbps.

Shot digitally, Logan looks terrific on Blu-ray and features rewarding high definition video quality that exhibits discerning levels of detail, and excellent rendering that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. The film teeters back and forth between reserved/cooler color schemes and bolder, vivid tonality that represent the storylines accompanying themes. Where appropriate, colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it empowers whites/grays without washing away detail. Blacks are rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which makes them pop nicely during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds.

The lossless DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack has solid dynamic range, detail rich clarity, and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the action based sequences. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. I enjoyed this audio presentation and thought that it complimented the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Logan Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Logan Noir Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 3: Logan Blu-ray
    Disc 4: Logan Noir Blu-ray
  • Logan Noir – black and white version of the film
  • Audio commentary by Director James Mangold
  • Deleted scenes with optional audio commentary by James Mangold (Blu-ray™ only)
  • Making Logan – behind-the-scenes documentary (Blu-ray™ only)
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

I thoroughly enjoyed Logan. It’s dark, compelling, and befittingly brings the character full circle, in a meaningful fashion, that closes one chapter, and potentially opens another. It comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, in this Combo Pack that features Excellent Ultra HD video, top notch high definition video quality, terrific DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound and disappointing supplemental feature set. I am glad that Logan Noir was included, but would have preferred a deeper exploration into the production. Regardless, Logan is a must have for fans and comes highly recommended on the highest format your system allows.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
G-Rex, Aetherhole, robsis and 6 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
This is far and away my favorite film from the X-Men series. As much fun as the rest of them are, the majority of them lacked any type of emotional connection with me. In this film, I really felt connected to Logan, Xavier, Laura, and even Caliban as protagonists.

I was also very glad to see this tone of film for the Logan/Wolverine character. He is a very dark, very angry, and very conflicted character, and this movie caters exactly that. X-2: X-Men United did the best job after Logan at portraying Wolverine's rage and anger.
Ralph Potts and Gorilla Killa like this.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #3 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Already picked this up.
Quote:
* Note: I watched select scenes of Logan Noir and found the equality of the presentation to be equal to the theatrical UHD experience, save for the lack of color. The same held true for the 1080p version.*
I thought these comments from digitalbits review - Bill Hunt - explain why you have a Noir edition.

Quote:
Fox’s Logan 4K UHD release is a 4-disc set. The first disc is a UHD that includes the theatrical version of the film in 4K. The second is also a UHD featuring the B&W version of the film, Logan Noir, also in 4K. The third and fourth discs are regular Blu-rays that include the theatrical version and Logan Noir in 1080p HD, respectively.

Logan was shot digitally in the ARRIRAW codec using ARRI Alexa XT cameras and was finished to a native 4K Digital Intermediate. Following HDR color grading passes (done separately for color and B&W), the result is presented here in full 4K at the 2.39:1 theatrical aspect ratio. Let’s talk about the theatrical first. Strange as it might seem to call such a gritty presentation clean, clean this surely is. The native 4K resolution really makes a difference. Even shot through anamorphic lenses, the image is crisp and loaded with detail fine detail and texturing, plus the shallower anamorphic depth of field – not to mention the way the light interacts with the glass – renders a lovely cinematic image. The benefits of HDR here are obvious; shadows are black as night, highlights glow brightly, and the overall color palette is rich and warm. The improvement over the regular Blu-ray image, already quite good, is significant. As for Logan Noir, the lack of color makes the 4K texturing really stand out even more. Once again, blacks are incredibly deep, yet there’s still tremendous detail visible. Thanks to HDR, the highlights in the image really pop – sometimes so much that your pupils will react to the changes. What’s most interesting about the B&W, however, is the way your eyes are drawn to completely different areas of the frame than in the color presentation, as you notice unexpected textures or details. Surprisingly, I almost prefer the B&W version of the film, as the violence – lacking the gush of crimson splatter – seems less gruesome, much more comic stylized and thus more effective. Whichever version of Logan you choose, you will not be disappointed by the 4K image here.
So we are getting a opportunity to see how lack of color changes what part of the frame we might be paying attention to rather then be distracted by a frames color usage. Interesting.

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Already picked this up.
I thought these comments from digitalbits review - Bill Hunt - explain why you have a Noir edition.

So we are getting a opportunity to see how lack of color changes what part of the frame we might be paying attention to rather then be distracted by a frames color usage. Interesting.
Interestingly on that same note of Bill Hunt's observance, in the first Kill Bill, the fight sequence between The Bride and the Crazy 88 was turned to black and white because it was deemed too violent in color. At least, if I am recalling that correctly...

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #5 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Spoiler alert in the tag line.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
post #6 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Ralph, would you say there was a drastic difference between the 7.1 & atmos version?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering buying a 4k bluray player just so I can watch movies in atmos... I don't have a 4k display & won't for another 4 years or so... but I do have the atmos receiver & have noticed a lot of movies get the 7.1 treatment instead on the 1080p disc.

I currently use the 1080p OPPO & was considering getting a cheap 4k bluray player for a 100 bucks, & figure there will be more titles coming soon.
The Dark Knut likes this.
post #7 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Already picked this up.

Thanks for including Bill Hunt's comments on the Noir Edition. My son and I missed Logan in the theater and decided to wait till this week to see the Noir ed (vs special Alamo screening)....and man, we were not disappointed both terms of image and story. Really terrific take on Logan's character and relation to westerns.

Two films (outside of westerns) that came to mind:

1) Terminator...did anyone catch the reference to 2029 (which was the war of the machines in the Terminator series) and the bounty hunters cyborg forearms and hands?

2) Children of Men....the reference to lack of new mutant (births) and Logan's reluctant role
Spoiler!
was reminiscent of lack of new babies being born
Spoiler!

Thanks Ralph for the review. My wife and I will watch the "color" version this weekend.

Ron
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Just got my copies today. So glad they included the B&W versions. Big bonus.
post #9 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 2538
Might have to watch this one again. First time through I was kind of bored. Action seemed contrived and again kind of boring. X23 or whatever she was called just screamed and grunted, felt like I was watching Monica Seles versus Maria Sharapova. I will give it a second go. I had the same reaction to BvS first view, then watched the extended edition and quite enjoyed it.

Maybe 2nd time's a charm in this case as well.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #10 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Great review Mr Potts,this is a good blind buy for anyone that likes these kind of movies,can't wait to hear it in atmos.My son took me to see it at the local cinema as a present.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by dholmes54; 05-25-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: More info
post #11 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 2077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
This is far and away my favorite film from the X-Men series. As much fun as the rest of them are, the majority of them lacked any type of emotional connection with me. In this film, I really felt connected to Logan, Xavier, Laura, and even Caliban as protagonists.

I was also very glad to see this tone of film for the Logan/Wolverine character. He is a very dark, very angry, and very conflicted character, and this movie caters exactly that. X-2: X-Men United did the best job after Logan at portraying Wolverine's rage and anger.

I agree, this is what his character should have been so Im glad they pulled out the sugar coating for the last film. I know some found the it to be too much, to each his own. For me, the way the movie was done left me ok that there wont be another.
rboster and Ralph Potts like this.
post #12 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Ralph, would you say there was a drastic difference between the 7.1 & atmos version?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering buying a 4k bluray player just so I can watch movies in atmos... I don't have a 4k display & won't for another 4 years or so... but I do have the atmos receiver & have noticed a lot of movies get the 7.1 treatment instead on the 1080p disc.

I currently use the 1080p OPPO & was considering getting a cheap 4k bluray player for a 100 bucks, & figure there will be more titles coming soon.

Greetings,

If you have a receiver that will handle the decoding of the Atmos bitstream, you don't need to buy a 4K capable player. The Atmos metadata is sent via bitstream and can be passed by your current player for titles with Atmos soundtracks on standard 1080p titles. For titles such as this, that only provide it on Ultra HD titles, then yes, you would need to upgrade.

I wouldn't say the difference is drastic, but, in my opinion, the ability to get the Atmos mix is worth the upgrade.

Regards,
IronWaffle likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #13 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
So happy I was able to pick up the steelbook copy. It looks beautiful IMO. I won't be able to watch it until the weekend, but now I'm more excited after your review.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Nah didn't like it like the rest of you, I felt I was transported to yet another world that has no connection from the others last time we saw this character, the previous movie had the same vibe as well. Didn't like it then either. Didn't Prof X died in X-men 3? Anyway it was lethargic and depressive end for long tortured soul and body, but we all know this is not the end only for Jackman's Wolverine.
Kini62 and llang269 like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #15 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Nah didn't like it like the rest of you, I felt I was transported to yet another world that has no connection from the others last time we saw this character, the previous movie had the same vibe as well. Didn't like it then either. Didn't Prof X died in X-men 3? Anyway it was lethargic and depressive end for long tortured soul and body, but we all know this is not the end only for Jackman's Wolverine.
Did you watch the after credits scene of X3 or Days of Future Past? That explains everything. This movie is years after Days of Future Past and connected to that timeline.
dnoonie likes this.

PSN - Escobar
Yamaha RX-A870 Fronts: Bowers and Wilkins 704 S2 Rosenut Center: Martin Logan Motion 8i Rears: Martin Logan Motion 4 Front Heights: Martin Logan Motion 2 Subwoofers: 2 x Definitive Technology Supercube 2000
Sony 55" A8F, Panasonic UB820
post #16 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Thanks for the review!

I picked this up tonight!

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #17 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
To each his own, but IMO, you can't base comic book themed movies on the comic series themselves, story-wise. They will always deviate. I can't name one movie that has stuck 100% to the comic (not counting graphic novels).

For me, it's all about getting the character correct. This movie finally got it right with regards to Logan/James/Wolverine.

Anyway, it was supposed to be a lethargic and depressive end for a long tortured soul and body, that fits the character perfectly.

From a technical stand-point, this was a beautiful presentation of UHD and HDR.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #18 of 74 Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Sound like, I am in Treat next week-end

My wife, al-ready got this for me

Thank You for another nice review, and looking forward to see-it!

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #19 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post

I've been thinking the exact same thing! I was very disappointed that Logan 1080p blu ray wasn't in Dolby Atmos. I'm seriously thinking of returning my blu ray copy and buying a 4K player to go with my non 4K Panasonic AE8000 projector, so I can HEAR these movies in Dolby Atmos.

It will still display it just down converts to 1080p?

Repetition penetrates even the dullest of minds.

post #20 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knut View Post
I've been thinking the exact same thing! I was very disappointed that Logan 1080p blu ray wasn't in Dolby Atmos. I'm seriously thinking of returning my blu ray copy and buying a 4K player to go with my non 4K Panasonic AE8000 projector, so I can HEAR these movies in Dolby Atmos.

UHD player +UHD disc +1080p display = Original soundtrack is untouched while the image is down converted to1080p.

The Blu-ray sounds great when upmixed with Neural-X.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1

Last edited by Mashie Saldana; 05-27-2017 at 12:54 AM.
post #21 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Another great review from you Ralph. I had not heard anything about this movie before I read your review, and based upon the previous solo outing for the Logan character (Wolverine?), I was not expecting much. But it seems like this might actually be a good movie to watch (and perhaps buy on UHD), so I am going to put it on my Netflix queue and rent it in SD BluRay to see if I want to get it in the UHD version. It was good to see a replay value of 4 stars, so maybe I will own this movie someday after I watch the Netflix disc!

Keep the great reviews coming!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #22 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Was glad to finally finish the movie. On my outing to the theater, our town came under a tornado warning and I was kindly asked to come home by my bride.

Great review Ralph. The only issue I had with it was the odd use of the f word in the beginning sequences. I could care less about the cursing, but it seemed to be used when it didn't need to be?? I thought it was used better in the rest of the movie, fwiw. Either way, I got over it. Lol.

I found myself drawn into this movie like no other X-Men movie. Wolverine is far and away my favorite comic book character; and, I think this movie represented him very well. It'll be sad not to see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine anymore. I do hope they bring back the character in another way (x-23 maybe?). I did see that Jackman said he'd be willing to come back as Wolverine for a crossover with Deadpool. So fingers crossed for that!

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #23 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:

Correct. It will downconvert to 1080P. That said, I've found that downconverted 4K on my 1080P projector looks better than Blu Ray movies. It's worth getting a 4K player IMHO. If you want inexpensive, I got the Philips one and it's been great.
post #24 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Correct. It will downconvert to 1080P. That said, I've found that downconverted 4K on my 1080P projector looks better than Blu Ray movies. It's worth getting a 4K player IMHO. If you want inexpensive, I got the Philips one and it's been great.
How are you handling the HDR aspect? (The default HDR to SDR conversion may not be ideal.)
post #25 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
From a technical stand-point, this was a beautiful presentation of UHD and HDR.
I agree. After seeing all the other Marvel films on either BD or UHD, Logan is very unique in that you have a great deal of reality based filming and far less CGI as presented. Almost a Relevant/Marvel hybrid! There was certainly enough action and graphic violence, yeah Wolverine seem to aerate a person's head a lot. The story line reminded me of a modern darker Marvel comic book, this wasn't classic Marvel at all, not even close. PS there is no Stan Lee cameo in Logan which is different also.

Oppo Beta Group
post #26 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
How are you handling the HDR aspect? (The default HDR to SDR conversion may not be ideal.)
I'm not. It's just doing it's thing, but it still looks great to me. I wasn't initially going to get this movie but all of these positive comments have me changing my mind. I'll pick it up tonight and give it a watch and post back (I'll get the 4K version).
post #27 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
And how about the audio? Is it like Mashie posted above is the sound down converted too from Atmos to 7.1? It's the Atmos aspect I'm after...

Repetition penetrates even the dullest of minds.

post #28 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And how about the audio? Is it like Mashie posted above is the sound down converted too from Atmos to 7.1? It's the Atmos aspect I'm after...
I don't want to derail the thread any further (Sorry Ralph), but yes, you will get Atmos assuming you have an Atmos capable receiver.
post #29 of 74 Old 05-26-2017, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

I got an Xbox One S for this very purpose. To play UHD discs with ATMOS with my 1080P projector. I agree the down convert to 1080P appears to look better then 1080P blu-ray. Not sure if it just a placebo effect. You also get the ATMOS soundtrack if your equipment is capable. I have been purchasing the UHD versions to future proof. But, if there is a 3d version I pick it over UHD,

I also picked up the UHD of "Logan" due to the ATMOS and noir version. You also get standard blu-ray in the combo pack. I have not watched the movie yet but will soon.
post #30 of 74 Old 05-27-2017, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
I edited my post as it could be read in two different ways. The audio is untouched, only the video is down converted. I'm going for this approach as well once I made up my mind which UHD player to buy.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page