• 1 Post By tenthplanet

post #1 of 3 Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6101
The Lovers Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this quirky, offbeat, romance that takes a refreshing look at love, fidelity, and family.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2017
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 94 minutes
Genre: Romance/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Debra Winger, Tracy Letts, Aidan Gillen, Melora Walters, Tyler Ross, Jessica Sula
Written & Directed by: Azazel Jacobs
Music by: Mandy Hoffman
Region Code: A

Release Date: August 1, 2017

"A Love so Strong it can Survive Marriage"

My Take:

A husband and wife (Tracy Letts and Debra Winger), each embroiled in a secret, extramarital affair, are sent reeling when they suddenly fall for the least likely person imaginable – one another – in this scalpel-sharp, deliciously grown-up comedy.

Written and directed by Azazel Jacobs The Lovers takes a refreshing approach to the romantic dramedy. Presenting a fly on the wall perspective into the lives of a couple, Mary and Michael, who for years has coexisted in a marriage devoid of closeness, both emotionally, and physically, and has sought found it outside of the marriage, essentially relegating them to roommates. Unfortunately for them their extramarital relationships are under a bit of a strain due to their inability to end the marriage. The turning point rests on a visit from their estranged son, and his new girlfriend, during which they plan (unbeknownst to one another) to tell him that the marriage is over. Under the pressure of both the visit and constant prodding from their toe tapping significant others, Mary and Michael find themselves unexpectedly drawn to one another, reconnecting on levels that they haven’t in years.

The Lovers is a cute, quirky, love story that makes for an interesting study of relationships and people. Allowing us to see how a completely disconnected union can be reignited via a narrative that exudes both optimism and pessimism, works perfectly, as we can see through the eyes of the quartet. The relationship with their son pours gasoline on the fire, portraying the emotional damage that years of familial strife can put upon a child. I thought that the performances by Debra Winger and Tracy Letts, and the chemistry they shared, was excellent.

The Lovers turned out to be more than I expected, and made for an entertaining, and worthwhile evening.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexuality, brief nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Lovers comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 Mbps.

This a solid video presentation that offers excellent refinement during close ups and clear rendering during mid-level camera pans. The color range perfectly sets the film’s somber tone and has a reserved aesthetic that rarely offers bright, eye catching hues. Rendering is clean and depth is appropriate. Fleshtones keep pace with the look of the rest of the film and have a balmy but natural texture. Spot on contrast yielded crisp, bright whites and blacks are stable but slightly elevated which leaves them appearing less dynamic and occasionally flat. I didn’t see this as a problem based upon the visual style of the film. This is a pristine encoding that showed no obvious signs of video related artifacts or anomalies.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices were rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for active surround activity and extended dynamics however there is frequent use of atmospheric sounds that stabilize the soundstage in support of the venues being depicted onscreen. That coupled along with the eclectic music of Mandy Hoffman gives the soundtrack an open sounding and balanced presence that helps drive the films thematic elements.

Bonus Features:
  • The Music of Romance: Scoring The Lovers Featurette
  • A Complicated Passion: Making The Lovers Featurette
  • Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Azazel Jacobs
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Written and directed by Azazel Jacobs The Lovers is an intimate, funny and refreshing portrait as seen from the perspective of a marriage in crisis. It comes to Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring gratifying high definition audio/video mated with a fair supplemental package that offers insights from the cast/crew. The Lovers is time well spent and deserves a place at the top of your Blu-ray rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Ralph

Thanks for the review.

This is one that I will pick up. I know my wife will like it. A good husband buys a movie like this for his wife once in awhile because she sure over looks all the movies that I watch with explosions, killings, war and plain crap-y.

Thanks

Ralph Potts and SoCal71RS like this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #3 of 3 Old 07-27-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 3211
Thanks for the review Ralph. A lot of smaller films get lost in the shuffle these days.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page