King Arthur: Legend of the Sword Ultra HD Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 08-10-2017, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword Ultra HD Review

Ralph Potts reviews this reimaging of the classic tale of King Arthur and Excalibur, as told by visionary director Guy Ritchie.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2017
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 126 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Charlie Hunnam, Jude Law, Astrid Berges-Frisbey, Djimon Hounsou, Aidan Gillen, Eric Bana
Directed by: Guy Ritchie
Music by: Daniel Pemberton
Written by: Joby Harold, Guy Ritchie, Lionel Wigram
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 8, 2017

"Raised on the Streets. Born to be King"

My Take:

When the child Arthur’s father is murdered, Vortigern (Jude Law), Arthur’s uncle, seizes the crown. Robbed of his birthright and with no idea who he truly is, Arthur comes up the hard way in the back alleys of the city. But once he pulls the sword from the stone, his life is turned upside down and he is forced to acknowledge his true legacy…whether he likes it or not.

There have been many films based on the subject matter featured in King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. This is a more or less modern take on the story of Arthur, his legacy, and the might of Excalibur. To be honest, there is little about it that is reminiscent of the tale, perhaps that it what I found to be its most interesting element. It’s not a particularly good film, narratively speaking, but I think it does take liberties that peel away the old timey feel that you would expect from a King Arthur story. If the intent here was to come up with something in that vein then I would say that Guy Ritchie and company have done exactly that.

In addition to the mythical power of Excalibur, there is magic, betrayal, and fantastical creatures. Merlin gets only a casual mention, but in his place, are the Maj, possessors of powers of their own, which in this case are used to assist Arthur. The villain isn’t drawn very well, coming across as only power hungry, and willing to do absolutely anything to get, and keep it. This leaves him less interesting which only adds to the disjointedness of the various elements that make up the plot. There is a plethora of characters, none of which feel fully fleshed out, this includes Arthur himself.

I don’t know, I would like to say that I am clearly in the didn’t like it camp, but the truth is that, I found it to be entertaining on some level. Definitely of the popcorn flick variety, where we can overlook narrative flaws in favor of decent production elements and a bit of fun butt kicking. The butt kicking wasn’t quite enough though, and at over two hours there wasn’t enough story to support the subject matter. I like Charlie Hunnam, June Law, Aidan Gillen, and Djimon Hounsou, which probably helped. Those who don’t care for Guy Ritchie’s particular brand of filmmaking need not apply, as this has him all over it from a visual perspective. At the end of the day King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is more miss than hit, but could find an audience with forgiving genre fans.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of violence and action, some suggestive content and brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 59 Mbps and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword was derived from a 3.4K source, and rendered from a 2K DI. I received King Arthur: Legend of the Sword on Blu-ray and Ultra HD a day apart and watched it on Blu-ray one evening and Ultra HD the next. The high definition experience was fresh in my mind which helped when making comparisons.

The 1080p transfer for King Arthur looks terrific, and this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail, emboldened contrast, both light and dark, and a noticeably sharper image. This is readily apparent in the opening sequence with the attack on Camelot, followed by the meeting in the castle. Close ups of the costumes and interior walls of the castle’s rooms reveal oodles of fine detail and abounding textures. Primary colors are pleasingly rich while whites appear gradational and punchy. Wide angle shots of the landscapes, CG sets/backgrounds and interiors of the cave haven, forestlands, and rustic dwellings looked excellent.

I liked the application of HDR as well. It was more-subtle, than up front, but added an enriching dimension to the imagery when called upon. One of the best examples of the presentation's combination of HDR and detail comes during the encounter atop the tower in chapter 11. The flashes of fire and arcing white light from the clashes of weapons shines brilliantly, as the dueling figures duke it out against the dark background which remains delineated while appearing richly dark. The variety of scenes shot in the low light of the castle, and cave, with sunlight cascading through, are equally rewarding. The film utilizes sepia, autumn schemed color and an overall cooler chromatic aesthetic that appears faithfully reproduced in Ultra HD.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos mix I found it to be of the less aggressive variety, with respect to use of the entire platform, which considering the source material, was a bit disappointing. This soundtrack contains an abundance of elements that would allow for a busier object based mix with respect to the overhead channels. In general, its use of audio objects placed above is limited to atmospherics and occasional panning fills. I would say that where applied it's done to good effect, and creates a fair level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. As an enthusiast, I appreciate a well-crafted sound mix that draws me into the onscreen elements, regardless of where the sounds are emanating from. This mix is fair, and incorporates a correlated and broad soundstage where effects swirl, shift and traverse the listening area. I think that this Dolby Atmos mix would have benefitted from more active use of immersive sounds which in turn would have enhanced the source material.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (Atmos core) soundtrack has good dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the action based sequences. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: King Arthur: Legend of the Sword Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 2: King Arthur: Legend of the Sword Blu-ray
    • Arthur with Swagger - Charlie Hunnam is a gentleman, a hunk and a rebel, setting new standards as king and new rules with the ladies.
    • Sword from the Stone - Director Guy Ritchie as he breathes 21st Century life and luster into England’s most iconic legend and he creates Camelot for a new audience!
    • Parry and Bleed - Charlie Hunnam and other cast members get a crash course in swordplay. Vikings versus Saxons style!
    • Building on the Past - Londinium comes to life with a new design of Medieval Urban life, built from scratch.
    • Inside the Cut: The Action of King Arthur - Join stunt choreographer Eunice Huthart as she teams with Director Guy Ritchie to create the mind-blowing action of King Arthur
    • Camelot in 93 Days - Friendships and romances strengthen and fray as the realities of a 93 day shoot set in.
    • Legend of Excalibur - The world’s most famous sword is brought to life for a new generation.
    • Scenic Scotland - Wrapping a monumental production on location in glorious Scotland.
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is a modern action spin that fails to capture the grandeur of its subject, however, depending on your ability to look past its conceptual shortcomings, it might just have a bit to offer. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring excellent Ultra HD video quality, solid lossless surround sound, including a Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a fan friendly supplemental package. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is best left as an Ultra HD/Blu-ray rental. Just remember to keep expectations in check, and you might find it to be a fair time passer when you’re up for a little popcorn entertainment.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *REDUCED*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-10-2017, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 71
There is a 3D blu ray of this available as well, will this site be reviewing the 3D blu ray? I've been hearing that the 3D blu-ray offers a superior experience when compared to the UHD version. Supposedly, this was filmed with 3D in mind and has many stunning 3D moments. Can't wait to see it in 3D on my OLED.
cky2354 and RonAlam like this.
post #3 of 38 Old 08-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 223
It was bad. Way to "modern" in clothing etc. Lead role can't get away from actions flics and SOA.
0 replay value.
Hollywood missed the target. Plastic.

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain - V2.0 - Build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1966 View Post
There is a 3D blu ray of this available as well, will this site be reviewing the 3D blu ray? I've been hearing that the 3D blu-ray offers a superior experience when compared to the UHD version. Supposedly, this was filmed with 3D in mind and has many stunning 3D moments. Can't wait to see it in 3D on my OLED.
Greetings,

The studio didn't forward the 3D Blu-ray unfortunately. I will continue to request both the 3D and UHD versions for review when available.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 38 Old 08-11-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
It was bad. Way to "modern" in clothing etc. Lead role can't get away from actions flics and SOA.
0 replay value.
Target ? Ritchie did pretty well considering the twin 800 lb. gorillas lurking around Lord of Rings and Game of Thrones. You couldn't make a straight King Arthur flick these days and get an audience.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #6 of 38 Old 08-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Thanks for the review Ralph.
I watched the 4K UHD blu-ray version Tuesday night and have been waiting to read your review.
I know the theater critics generally shredded the movie but the theater audiences really enjoyed it. They were hootin' and hollerin' during some of the scenes!
I own all of the Guy Ritchie movies and I am a big fan of his style.
There definitely were some scenes that were pretty awful and the powers that be really dropped the ball.
But when Ritchie had his game on there were many scenes that I really enjoyed.
I read some great reviews on the 3D version so I ordered that and will watch it this weekend.
I think your review was very good and I totally agree with your analysis.
Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #7 of 38 Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
0 replay value.

It is a Guy Ritchie film. The movie was not supposed to be a remake of the classic legend.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Has anyone entered the the digital code it only gives the HD copy not the UHD version? What gives?
post #9 of 38 Old 08-14-2017, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 106
So, so, so much better than Ghost in the Shell!! I enjoyed it as a popcorn flick and liked the fact that there was such a concentration on magic, and the supernatural. So much of the classic story has always been about Arthur and his lady with a royal upbringing, etc, etc. This seemed to center more around Excalibur and was well cast for the parts.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-15-2017, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
So, so, so much better than Ghost in the Shell!! I enjoyed it as a popcorn flick and liked the fact that there was such a concentration on magic, and the supernatural. So much of the classic story has always been about Arthur and his lady with a royal upbringing, etc, etc. This seemed to center more around Excalibur and was well cast for the parts.

Will be watching tomorrow night, looking forward to it.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #11 of 38 Old 08-18-2017, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1966 View Post
This might be another case where the 3D version is superior to the UHD. I have been on a bandwagon to go back and get the 3D version of movies that's been released separately... like Suicide Squad, Batman vs Superman, etc. Wish I could get 4k and 3D packaged together so that way, I don't have to decide like some titles or double dip. Thank goodness some do come packaged together even if it's exclusive such as Kong: SI and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I have been tempted to get this one in 3D but it is priced so high.. higher than either blu-ray or UHD. Might import this from UK when it gets released. Too bad the studios are not sending Ralph 3D versions anymore and mostly like it will continue that way so that only reviews of 3D versions will be just user's opinions in these forums.
post #12 of 38 Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Watched this last night didn't mind it. Will watch again
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #13 of 38 Old 08-18-2017, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky2354 View Post
This might be another case where the 3D version is superior to the UHD. I have been on a bandwagon to go back and get the 3D version of movies that's been released separately... like Suicide Squad, Batman vs Superman, etc. Wish I could get 4k and 3D packaged together so that way, I don't have to decide like some titles or double dip. Thank goodness some do come packaged together even if it's exclusive such as Kong: SI and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I have been tempted to get this one in 3D but it is priced so high.. higher than either blu-ray or UHD. Might import this from UK when it gets released. Too bad the studios are not sending Ralph 3D versions anymore and mostly like it will continue that way so that only reviews of 3D versions will be just user's opinions in these forums.

Greetings,

I have been querying the studios to get them to send both the UHD and 3D Blu-ray when available. Warner and Paramount have been receptive so far..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 38 Old 08-20-2017, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
This movie was made for 3D !

I watched this last night in 3D and it was a remarkable 3D presentation! I went into this blind and it was one of my favorite movies I've seen this year, completely unexpected.

edge of the seat energy at every scene, excellent LFE & soundtrack and that... 3D !!! The scene where he first unleashes Excalibur, full effect is completely lost in the 2D presentation.

high recommend if you have a good 3D setup.
Ralph Potts and Deja Vu like this.
post #15 of 38 Old 08-20-2017, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I watched this last night in 3D and it was a remarkable 3D presentation! I went into this blind and it was one of my favorite movies I've seen this year, completely unexpected.

edge of the seat energy at every scene, excellent LFE & soundtrack and that... 3D !!! The scene where he first unleashes Excalibur, full effect is completely lost in the 2D presentation.

Greetings,

Okay Jason, you've convinced me. Will pick up the 3D version..

Regards,
zombie10k likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #16 of 38 Old 08-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:

Where's the best place to get this? $37 on Amazon and $42 At Best Buy is insane. Anywhere cheaper? I might roll the dice for ~$25, but no more and I'll just rent otherwise even if it means missing out on the 3d.

Last edited by Toe; 08-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.
post #17 of 38 Old 08-20-2017, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Where's the best place to get this? $37 on Amazon and $42 At Best Buy is insane. Anywhere cheaper? I might roll the dice for ~$25, but no more and I'll just rent otherwise even if it means missing out on the 3d.
My wife and I just watched this in 3D and absolutely loved it.

She was very bummed to find out it bombed at the box office and that sequels are likely canceled
Toe likes this.
post #18 of 38 Old 08-21-2017, 04:26 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
My wife and I just watched this in 3D and absolutely loved it.

She was very bummed to find out it bombed at the box office and that sequels are likely canceled
Great to hear. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap disc only copy from eBay.
post #19 of 38 Old 08-24-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:

Have to agree 100% , It's a different movie in 3D altogether . Almost every slow motion scene was filmed to accentuate some sort of 3D pop out . From spears to arrows, snakes and flying debris a lot of thought and effort went into the process, one of the few done well. Other movies have 3D moments, this one is literally riddled with these slow motion 3D moments, not one did I think was tacky .

Movie had a great story, great action, cinematography well done, colors had excellent pop and the darker settings throughout worked near perfectly. Many darker movies I find too dim, detail and colors are lost, in this one it was excellent .

For a two hour movie, it went by really fast, I'm already thinking about viewing again this time will pay attention to audio . Must have been good obviously , too much else going on keeping my attention .
Ralph Potts and cky2354 like this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #20 of 38 Old 08-24-2017, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
I remuxed the 2D BD ATMOS with the 3D video

ATMOS track is excellent, there's no obvious reason why it was left off the 3D disk, it would have fit.

post #21 of 38 Old 09-06-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
My wife and I couldn't understand why it panned at the theaters so badly. There were a few dumb spots but only a few. Rather enjoyed the movie. It helps to go in with low expectations.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #22 of 38 Old 09-11-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
My wife and I couldn't understand why it panned at the theaters so badly. There were a few dumb spots but only a few. Rather enjoyed the movie. It helps to go in with low expectations.
Most people, though they won't admit it, have their Camelot/ King Arthur expectations locked in somewhere between Disney's Sword and the Stone and Camelot:The Musical. How dare someone treat King Arthur like a story with actual historical roots Antoine Fuqua's King Arthur, an adult themed TV series Camelot, or Guy Ritchie taking a fictional story and daring to set it in the gritty, dirty, real world. It takes guts to do that.
Ritchie's biggest sin, give it some humor and make it fun.And more than a few people on the internet dissed the film who never saw it.
Yes I would see this film again.
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #23 of 38 Old 09-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I remuxed the 2D BD ATMOS with the 3D video

ATMOS track is excellent, there's no obvious reason why it was left off the 3D disk, it would have fit.

I just demoed the opening scene again in 3D and Atmos and my GAWD! I have the best of both worlds now. It takes time to remux the movie but man, was it worth it. I also did it for Kong: SI and that's on whole another level since Atmos in that movie was so much better!.
post #24 of 38 Old 09-12-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Already watched the movie twice. Could watch it again. The sound effects and musical score, makes my speakers sing.
darthray likes this.
post #25 of 38 Old 09-14-2017, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:

After reading your post I gave the 3D version of this move a shot. Yes, much better in 3D.

Sadly, 3D at best now seems to be an afterthought for the studios. They don't promote it and they seem to hope it just goes away -- too bad since on a properly set up projector (a newer JVC or a DLP with a high gain screen like the HP) or T.V. (OLED) 3D IMO still presents the most immersive and compelling image.
freakyguy666 and Ralph Potts like this.
post #26 of 38 Old 11-01-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
After reading your post I gave the 3D version of this move a shot. Yes, much better in 3D.

Sadly, 3D at best now seems to be an afterthought for the studios. They don't promote it and they seem to hope it just goes away -- too bad since on a properly set up projector (a newer JVC or a DLP with a high gain screen like the HP) or T.V. (OLED) 3D IMO still presents the most immersive and compelling image.
Watched this movie with the wife yesterday and have to say, although I typically agree with Ralph's scores pretty much every time I would like to respectfully disagree with this particular title. Guess I wasn't expected much, but we really enjoyed the action and visuals with this one. Thought the picture was very crisp and Atmos was used fairly well. It's definitely a popcorn flick, but it fits the bill perfectly in this regard.

Sony XBR75x940D, Denon X4400H, Monolith 5X, PSA S3000i, Axiom M100s, VP180, QS8s, Klipsh R12SW, Polk MC60s, Sony UBP-X800, PS4 Pro
post #27 of 38 Old 12-09-2017, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Maybe the reviewer should watch this release in 4K on an LG OLED display...?
post #28 of 38 Old 12-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I like movies of this type...My wife and I watch for entertainment. It's not a documentary especially as there is no proof of there ever being a King Arthur.
I'll wait until I find it on the sale rack for $10-$15 buckeroos

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #29 of 38 Old 12-09-2017, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambo View Post
Maybe the reviewer should watch this release in 4K on an LG OLED display...?

Greetings,

Not entirely sure what your point is, as this got solid marks for video quality from me.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #30 of 38 Old 12-10-2017, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
UHD Presentation: 90