• 1 Post By robsis

post #1 of 4 Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Snatched Ultra HD Blu-ray

Ralph Potts reviews this comedy that tells the story of Emily Middleton, whose boyfriend dumps her before their exotic vacation, resulting in opting to persuade her ultra-cautious mother to travel with her to paradise, with unexpected results.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2017
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Goldie Hawn, Amy Schumer, Joan Cusack, Ike Barinholtz, Wanda Sykes, Christopher Meloni
Directed by: Jonathan Levine
Music by: Theodore Shapiro, Chris Bacon
Written by: Kate Dippold
Region Code: A

Release Date: August 8, 2017

"This is the Closest They’ve Been in Years"

My Take:

After her boyfriend dumps her on the eve of their exotic vacation, impetuous dreamer Emily Middleton (Schumer) persuades her ultra-cautious mom, Linda (Hawn), to travel with her to paradise. When the trip takes an unexpected turn, the polar opposite mother/daughter duo realize they must settle their differences and work together to escape the outrageous jungle adventure they’ve fallen into.

If you’ve seen the trailer for Snatched then you’ve got a pretty good idea what to expect. It’s a formulaic road trip comedy with a half-baked story that sees an estranged mother and daughter encounter an adventure after becoming kidnap victims while vacationing in South America. Featuring a series of situational gags, some of the one note variety, others showing some imagination, and a bit of funny bone tickling banter/exchanges, Snatched hangs on by a thread, mostly due to the pairing of screen veteran Goldie Hawn and Amy Schumer. As much as I thought I would be unable to tolerate its recycled plot, farcical adventure, and uninspired humor, there were moments that worked, which left me chuckling aloud.

As much as I thought the pairing of Hawn and Schumer worked, I felt that the exchanges between Jeremy and Morgan (Ike Barinholtz and Bashir Salahuddin), were hysterical, and every bit as entertaining. I could have done without Wanda Sykes and Joan Cusack, who seemed tossed in for good measure, adding nothing of value to the characters or story. Snatched is a throwaway, that is neither good or downright bad, but is the type of comedy that you reserve for an evening when you want to shut your brain off, and watch something light and simple.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for crude sexual content, brief nudity, and language throughout.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

UHD Presentation: 90

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Snatched comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Snatched was rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. This is a colorful film and this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a discernible increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears noticeably sharper and vibrant when compared to the 1080p version. Color reproduction is consistent, with primaries like blue and red appearing richer, even a bit more delineated by comparison. Secondary hues look great, also benefitting from the wider color gamut. I find the natural rendering of light via its discernible stages and incremental highlights to be one of the big pluses I've noticed with HDR. The wide-angle shots of South America, both near the shorelines and in the forestlands, look terrific.

The details visible in the low-lit environs, like the interior of cell where the women are held, or in the South American village where they meet Roger (Christopher Meloni), have appreciable dimension and resolvable detail. Fleshtones are reproduced with slightly warm, but natural tonality. Watching Snatched in Ultra HD with its emboldened contrast, and beautiful color rendering, made for a rewarding viewing experience that I found to be complimentary. The differences between the Ultra HD and 1080p versions aren’t vast, but if given the choice, the Ultra HD presentation is the way to go.

The 7.1 channel DTS-HD MA soundtrack is on par with the video and sounds full bodied, articulated and dynamically gratifying. Excellent tonal balance and high-level detail allow pans across the soundstage to appear seamless. Bass reproduction is taut and on occasion exhibits a robust low end. The mix makes frequent use of the surrounds to reproduce the discrete and ambient sounds contained within the soundtrack. I enjoyed the blend between the track's dynamic range and enveloping presence which resulted in a solid surround sound presentation.

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Snatched comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps.

This is a solid looking new release title from Fox. Images onscreen exhibit plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that on occasion rises to higher levels especially during close ups which can be very revealing. Long range shots appear resolute with good dimensional depth and notable object detail. Bright exterior segments are punchy with crisp dynamic whites and appreciable texture. Colors are vivid with eye catching primaries and predominantly natural rendering. Fleshtones are warmer than I would have liked but don’t appear tonally off kilter. Blacks are respectable and shadow detail is above average. I didn’t detect any deleterious artifacts or other video related anomalies.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1 Snatched Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Snatched Blu-ray
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Extended and Alternate Scenes
  • Gag Reel
  • Audio Commentary by Director Jonathan Levine

Final Thoughts:

Snatched is a middling comedy that features a solid cast, but is weighed down by a lackluster script that gives them little to work with. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack that features excellent Ultra HD video, gratifying high definition audio/video and an anemic assortment of supplements. Snatched has its moments, but they probably don’t add up to a worthwhile time investment. If you’re curious I would recommend catching it on cable TV.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-15-2017, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Sounds like a "wait until Netflix or Amazon Prime" type of movie for me.

Thanks for the great review, Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I saw a Netflix rental of this one and enjoyed the film. It was funny and it was a treat to see Christopher Meloni.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-19-2017, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Did you join the Flossy Posse, Ralph?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews