Blade Runner: The Final Cut Ultra HD Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #121 of 235 Old 09-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post
Well, got a ship notice from Amazon so it looks like ultimately I may end up with a spare or two. I will sell them at cost once I get the additional ones
If you get one with a mint slipcover that you are willing to sell send me a PM. I will pay above cost for the trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 235 Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 PM
awp

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Got the disc and looks amazing. Anyone know if there’s a place to redeem the UV code to ensure you get the UHD version? Think WB usually gives the UHD but know if you redeem codes directly on VUDU, for instance, you can get stuck with HDX.

Or does this not redeem for UHD?
post #123 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Got the disc and looks amazing. Anyone know if there’s a place to redeem the UV code to ensure you get the UHD version? Think WB usually gives the UHD but know if you redeem codes directly on VUDU, for instance, you can get stuck with HDX.

Or does this not redeem for UHD?

I followed the insert to wb.com/blahblah which redirected to myuv.com. Entered code there, selected Vudu, and now own UHD with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Yay!
aaronwt, dbburns, madpoet and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosa68 View Post
I followed the insert to wb.com/blahblah which redirected to myuv.com. Entered code there, selected Vudu, and now own UHD with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Yay!
Now if only other studios would do that. **cough** Disney **cough**
tosa68 likes this.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #125 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yeah I've screwed up 3 UHD versions

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #126 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
It appears that my new JVC is the problem, according to the JVC tech (and my own trouble-shooting), and it has to be sent in, or replaced And with the Impending Hurricane upon Florida, it looks like it will take a while....I would gladly sacrifice my projector in a heartbeat, to have no hurricane!

Anyway, this is the wrong thread, but I will update once this gets resolved...Thanks
Sorry to hear that man. At least you have a fix coming. Still a bummer when you have to give up your new baby.
KBMAN likes this.

post #127 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
FWIW B&N claims to have them in stock: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...=0883929594382
aaronwt likes this.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #128 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Check your local BB's today.

I went online around lunch time and they showed some available for in store pick up, so I ordered one.

It did a few hours, but I finally got the pick up confirmation....hopefully I won't be disappointed.
post #129 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
Hey if it plays 4K and is from a name branded company, I don't care if it's considered a "cheap player". if it works it works. I'm not remotely picky when it comes to this stuff.
Then maybe this isn't the forum you're looking for!

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb
post #130 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Looks like Ft. Smith and Fayetville, AR Best Buy's have some of these in stock for those around those areas. As of 4:30 pm CST today.
post #131 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Wow Ralph, you nailed the HDR visual and DA sound of this movie.

Thanks.

ss
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #132 of 235 Old 09-08-2017, 05:06 PM
awp

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosa68 View Post
Thanks!!! Appreciate it. So many times they either don’t have UHD redemption or I screw it up.

Did this and am a happy camper too!
post #133 of 235 Old 09-09-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Landed my copy on Friday afternoon and haven't had time to check it out yet . I'm hoping this afternoon I'll get my chance
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #134 of 235 Old 09-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I got mine on Friday from Amazon.com (shipped from US to Europe).
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #135 of 235 Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 220
For ATMOS reference quality you must get...

Just delivered from Amazon "Blade Runner" 4K /Atmos Blu Ray. Astonishing to say the least! If you have an ATMOS set up this disc is reference quality in the audio department. I just saw the first 15 minutes and it blew me away.
But I must say I wasn't so impressed with the 4k quality in many of the scenes. It looked cloudy/dirty/grainy especially the background (for lack of a better word)...but not in every scene ...but the ATMOS soundtrack is amazing. It may not be everyone's cup of tea as a movie but just sit back and listen....Incredible ATMOS....Probably the best I have heard.
pspoar likes this.
post #136 of 235 Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

4k quality:a mixed bag/ ATMOS quality:reference material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Ralph Potts , I have a question here...Is this 4K of Blade Runner supposed to have so much grain? And I know what you are thinking...'film grain' from the original film stock, etc...But, outside of the fantastic detail and contrast, I was seeing an exuberant amount of 'digital grain' ??? (I hope to be enlightened here In the beg. scene, in the smokey room, I could see quite a bit of 'scattered grain' which surprised me...almost looked like a poor MPEG 2 conversion in its' nature...BUT PLEASE CORRECT ME if this is not the case...I have a new JVC RS570, and I know that JVC's do have some inherent 'noise' to speak of....not to mention my seating distance is way closer than THX specs...(about 8 ft from a 115" screen, 1st row)....
Just delivered from Amazon "Blade Runner" 4K /Atmos Blu Ray. Astonishing to say the least! If you have an ATMOS set up this disc is reference quality in the audio department. I just saw the first 15 minutes and it blew me away.
But I must say I wasn't so impressed with the 4k quality in many of the scenes. It looked cloudy/dirty especially the background (for lack of a better word)...but not in every scene ...but the ATMOS soundtrack is amazing. It may not be everyone's cup of tea as a movie but just sit back and listen....Incredible ATMOS....Probably the best I have heard.
post #137 of 235 Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
But I must say I wasn't so impressed with the 4k quality in many of the scenes. It looked cloudy/dirty/grainy especially the background (for lack of a better word)...but not in every scene ...but the ATMOS soundtrack is amazing. It may not be everyone's cup of tea as a movie but just sit back and listen....Incredible ATMOS....Probably the best I have heard.
Yes, the Atmos soundtrack was quite surprising (in a good way).

I wasn't put off by the graininess. I wonder whether it may be deliberate in some noir-ish films.
post #138 of 235 Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well low light conditions tend to need a grainier film stock. My guess is that it's just the nature of the beast. Can't wait to see the shots done on 70mm on this disc. I would have preordered this if I had thought that it would so hard to find

Oh well my copy SHOULD be here tomorrow.

post #139 of 235 Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Still it is one of the best 4K /Atmos Blu Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Yes, the Atmos soundtrack was quite surprising (in a good way).

I wasn't put off by the graininess. I wonder whether it may be deliberate in some noir-ish films.
I needed to see other reviews of "Blade Runner" 4K/ATMOS Blu Ray and read some on this forum and on the Best Buy site and on Amazon site and many have said the same:
the ATMOS soundtrack is astonishing...even during the opening credits you immedialtly know this is going to be one helluva audio expierence (and it never lets up).
But many have also noticed the grain especially in the background. Not so much in close ups but that background is indeed noisy. You have to understand it is a 30+year old movie and the 4k transfer can only do so much. But the detail is still very immpresive but its that background noise/grain that others have also commented on that keeps this from being grade A+ for both video and audio. I tried to even change some of the settings on my 4K TV and 4K Blu Ray player but not much improvement. Enough said.
By all means get this as soon as you can and expierence the best in ATMOS!
post #140 of 235 Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

No worries.

Regards,
Is there atmos on the blu-ray copy?

1) Polk Audio LSI 9 and matching center
2) RSL CG4 (side speakers)
3) SVS PB13 Ultra subwoofer
4)Onyko TX-SR705 receiver,Outlaw 7125 amplifier
5) Sony UBP X800 Ultra Blu-ray Player & Panasonic 55" Plasma
post #141 of 235 Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Ralph, I just finished watching it. I don't understand why it is 5 stars movie with 5 stars. It is the most boring watching I ever watched. I fell alsleep in the middle. I feel bad I paid so much cash for this movie. Do I miss something?
post #142 of 235 Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Ralph, I just finished watching it. I don't understand why it is 5 stars movie with 5 stars. It is the most boring watching I ever watched. I fell alsleep in the middle. I feel bad I paid so much cash for this movie. Do I miss something?
I dunno. No car chases, explosions, partially naked women? (Standard guy stuff.)

Have you watched another classic SF movie, 2001: A space Odyssey? (Probably not yet available in UHD.) If Blade Runner put you to sleep halfway through (the Vangelis score may have helped in that), 2001 will do it within 10 minutes.
Roudan likes this.

Last edited by bobknavs; 09-13-2017 at 10:45 PM.
post #143 of 235 Old 09-14-2017, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Due to the great review of this tried searching for this everywhere locally. All sold out. So my next place to look was eBay purchased it - it shipped within an hour after I paid for it. It should arrive by Friday 9/15 it may even arrive today if I am lucky since it is shipped from a town about 90 minutes away. Husband and I have not seen it yet. For the past week we have been watching movies on DVD from the 70's 80's. They look great upscaled to 4K. This is due in part to my recent interest in my husbands older DVD collection. He is 6 years 8 months older at 47. Discovered some great films some that I never even heard of. Movies like "The Final Countdown", "Gray Lady Down", "Hanover Street", "The Poseidon Adventure", "Purple Hearts", "ORCA: The Killer Whale", "Platoon", "Full Metal Jacket".

Last edited by powertoburn; 09-14-2017 at 01:47 AM.
post #144 of 235 Old 09-14-2017, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaller View Post
Is there atmos on the blu-ray copy?
Greetings,

No, only the UHD version.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #145 of 235 Old 09-14-2017, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Quote:
Greetings,

I can't answer your question, other than to say, sorry it didn't work for you. I can tell you that you will find plenty of members here who would be happy to take it off of your hands.

Regards,
skoolpsyk, aaronwt and Roudan like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #146 of 235 Old 09-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Not everyone's cup of tea....

Quote:
Sure it's not everyone's cup of tea.....I found it (like everyone else) to be dazzling to the eye and with the new ATMOS track dazzling to the ears as well...but it is muddled...storyline can be incoherent at times (this is why there have been many versions of "Blade Runner" thru the years and this "Final Cut" version may be the best version)...and I think why most regard it as great sci-fi are the amazing sets,etc.....it is breathtaking especially on a big screen. And Harrison Ford--- a young Harrison Ford-- is always good.
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by aflorida; 09-14-2017 at 07:34 AM.
post #147 of 235 Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 29
One of the finest uhd releases I've seen so far. Phenomenal picture and sound quality
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #148 of 235 Old 09-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Quote:
Sure it's not everyone's cup of tea.....I found it (like everyone else) to be dazzling to the eye and with the new ATMOS track dazzling to the ears as well...but it is muddled...storyline can be incoherent at times (this is why there have been many versions of "Blade Runner" thru the years and this "Final Cut" version may be the best version)...and I think why most regard it as great sci-fi are the amazing sets,etc.....it is breathtaking especially on a big screen. And Harrison Ford--- a young Harrison Ford-- is always good.
Definitely. But I am trying to understand which storyline is attracting you? I didn't get it. I was asking to myself, am I strange?
post #149 of 235 Old 09-15-2017, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Definitely. But I am trying to understand which storyline is attracting you? I didn't get it. I was asking to myself, am I strange?
No your not strange. Basically it's not Star Wars(which I saw in theaters growing up and loved like everyone.) You can't turn your brain off and just gobble down popcorn and twizzlers and get into this movie. You have to really pay attention to take in the whole plot line and many aren't able to do this much anymore with all these mindless tentpole movies being released in the last 30 years.

We'd only had about 4 or 5 years of that phenomenon by the time Blade Runner came out in theaters and it had already softened our brains to the point that the Citizen Kane of Sci-fi basically flopped. I saw it in an almost empty theater during its original release as a kid and was sure I had just seen something wonderful. I just wondered why I wasn't seeing it anywhere else.

That is why this film sells so well in every format change and cut and always will.

Not saying the posters brain is soft by the way just our general mindset nowadays with films.

I introduced a friend once to West Side Story and after screening the movie at a theater they said the plot was great but they should have cut out all of the singing and dancing. Not their cup of tea as it were.

Dark Star

Silent Running

THX-1138

Logan's Run

The Man Who Fell to Earth

Zardoz

Unbreakable

Moon

The Andromeda Strain

Capricorn One

2001 a Space Audyssey

Vanilla Sky

12 Monkeys

Invasion of The Body Snatchers(original and 70's version)

Star Trek: the Motion Picture

The Road

The Outer Limits(original series)

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #150 of 235 Old 09-15-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, you did. Blade Runner is widely regarded as one of the best science fiction films for good reason. It's not meant to be an action packed blockbuster. It's a movie about characters, environment and humanity itself. I understand it doesn't always resonate. You see Harrison Ford, Ridley Scott and 80's sci-fi and you think Alien or Star Wars. I had a buddy who wanted to watch it back in the DVD days and when we finished he was kind of underwhelmed. I asked him who the hero was and who the villain was. He gave his answer and I asked are you sure? It was only on really thinking about it he started to scratch the surface of what the film really is. Blade Runner is a film that leaves the viewer with questions, not answers. It's a film that is so well realized visually that you can still lose yourself in it. And as we progress technically as a society its messages only resonate more. Not many films can say that at almost 40 years old.

Again not everyone will like everything. I'd just encourage you to give it a shot until the end. And it still may not be your cup of tea.
audiofan1, IronWaffle and Roudan like this.

Last edited by jeahrens; 09-15-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page