Spider-Man: Homecoming Ultra HD Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #31 of 82 Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
This.
The differences are incremental at best.
Not from my experience. Once 12 bit panels are available, the difference will be even greater as Dolby Vision discs are encoded in 12 bit from 12 bit masters.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
It's a Sony release, so ATMOS is exclusive to the 4K/UHD.

For a running list of BD's that have ATMOS or DTS:X audio available on the regular 1080 Bluray:

1080 BD ATMOS
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=248132

1080 BD DTS:X
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=257742

4K/UHD's with ATMOS or DTS:X
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276065

Thank you for that. Not the best news as far as I'm concerned, but you provide a valuable guide to future purchases. Got the 4K coming in today, but not quite set for the higher resolution disc, therefore will have to extract my value from the blu -- less valuable as it might be without the ATMOS....GRRRR...
post #33 of 82 Old 10-17-2017, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 5896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
So I am going to be the be "that guy" and disagree with the review, specifically the video transfer. I watched it yesterday and while it looked good, it wasn't "100" good to me. Resolution was good, but it wasn't outstanding. Specular highlights were also in the same vein. The blacks and low lit detail was quite good, though; as was the colors, they were quite impressive as well.

Frankly, I was more impressed overall by transfers like "Split" or "Life" or "Passengers."
Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impression Aetherhole. Sorry that you were underwhelmed. It's funny, but there are those that would disagree about the quality of the titles you mentioned. Go figure..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 82 Old 10-17-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
This.
The differences are incremental at best.
Funny, as I feel the same way about UHD!

As for whether 2D or 3D, I won't argue with Ralph's perception that the UHD may seem like 3D...but it's not. I saw the 3D
over the weekend and thought it was better than the theatrical 3D. As for the darker scenes, looked fine to me there as well (Spidey has a pretty bright outfit). Yesterday, I watched some of the UHD edition and, for me, all I could feel was how much I was missing by watching it in 2D. I forwarded to the Washington Monument scene (didn't have much time and it wasn't my disc!) and felt that it was faaaar more effective and impressive in 3D than in UHD 2D. So that's my choice (but I usually opt for 3D anyway, sight unseen.)
gbaby likes this.
post #35 of 82 Old 10-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
So I am going to be "that guy" and disagree with the review, specifically the video transfer. I watched it yesterday and while it looked good, it wasn't "100" good to me. Resolution was good, but it wasn't outstanding. Specular highlights were also in the same vein. The blacks and low lit detail was quite good, though; as was the colors, they were quite impressive as well.

Frankly, I was more impressed overall by transfers like "Split" or "Life" or "Passengers."
Ralph, while I have always felt your reviews have been spot on and am glad to see you've added the ability to review DV titles, I'm going to have to agree with Aetherhole. I checked the DV version of SM:H via VuDu and it just wasn't as impressive as some of the other DV titles I've watched. Granted it was via VuDu (got it free when I signed up for MA) it just didn't seem to have the "pop" that would warrant a 100.

I'm judging against titles like Lucy, Battleship, and Pacific Rim. Granted, I'm viewing on a lowly LG UH8500, but I just don't see it.

I do appreciate the review though, and I just gotta ask, will you be reviewing any streaming titles for comparisons against physical disk? I know it would be more work, I'm just curious to see comparisons to many of the 'reference quality' titles. For example, I'd love to see a comparison between Fate of the Furious - UHD DV, UHD HDR, and VuDu DV.

I'm sure there are those who may look down on streaming, but let's face it; the direction of UHD (IMHO) is to ultimately have streaming match quality of physical disks.

Thanks.

My Gear:
Spoiler!
post #36 of 82 Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Hi Ralph

On your JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector what gamma HDR curves are you using and what are the related details/parameters of the curve and JVC when you are watch UHD?
post #37 of 82 Old 10-17-2017, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
So I am going to be "that guy" and disagree with the review, specifically the video transfer. I watched it yesterday and while it looked good, it wasn't "100" good to me. Resolution was good, but it wasn't outstanding. Specular highlights were also in the same vein. The blacks and low lit detail was quite good, though; as was the colors, they were quite impressive as well.

I’d have to agree with you. I’m a bit perplexed by the 100 as well. I’m thinking more like an 80 at Best. There’s no way transformers the last knight scored a 96 and this was 100? This was much softer then transformers, life and passengers. I’m viewing on a 120” with native 4k Sony projector. Easy to see the smaller details or lack thereof. Even my daughter who’s 13 and could care less about 4k asked if this was the correct disc in the player...
KRGM1 likes this.
post #38 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Great Review Man, THANK YOU.
I like to know if there are any chance of the 4k this disc has portuguese tracks.
Could you see it into menu disc, please?
Thanks Again
post #39 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post
Ralph, while I have always felt your reviews have been spot on and am glad to see you've added the ability to review DV titles, I'm going to have to agree with Aetherhole. I checked the DV version of SM:H via VuDu and it just wasn't as impressive as some of the other DV titles I've watched. Granted it was via VuDu (got it free when I signed up for MA) it just didn't seem to have the "pop" that would warrant a 100.

I'm judging against titles like Lucy, Battleship, and Pacific Rim. Granted, I'm viewing on a lowly LG UH8500, but I just don't see it.

I do appreciate the review though, and I just gotta ask, will you be reviewing any streaming titles for comparisons against physical disk? I know it would be more work, I'm just curious to see comparisons to many of the 'reference quality' titles. For example, I'd love to see a comparison between Fate of the Furious - UHD DV, UHD HDR, and VuDu DV.

I'm sure there are those who may look down on streaming, but let's face it; the direction of UHD (IMHO) is to ultimately have streaming match quality of physical disks.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
I’d have to agree with you. I’m a bit perplexed by the 100 as well. I’m thinking more like an 80 at Best. There’s no way transformers the last knight scored a 96 and this was 100? This was much softer then transformers, life and passengers. I’m viewing on a 120” with native 4k Sony projector. Easy to see the smaller details or lack thereof. Even my daughter who’s 13 and could care less about 4k asked if this was the correct disc in the player...

Greetings,

Hey guys, trust me, I not one to say that there haven't been times when I have missed the mark and or made mistakes, because I have. This certainly isn't an exact science, especially given the differences in equipment and the subjective approach used to evaluation. When I see comments like these I always take them seriously and consider giving the review in question another look.

I spent some time this morning looking at Life, Passengers, Transformers: TLK, and Spider-Man: Homecoming. I completely with everyone about the quality of Life, Passengers, and Transformers: TLN. I would also agree that I may have undershot Transformers' video at 96. In taking another look at Spider-Man: Homecoming, I feel that it falls into the same category, in that I may have overshot it slightly, but not to a high degree. It is a visually different film than Life/Passengers, and to some degree, Transformers: TLN.

As I watched the Staten Island Ferry sequence in SM: Homecoming again, I found myself feeling exactly the same way as I did when I reviewed it. Soft isn't how I would describe at all.

My apologies to those that don't agree with the review. I always try to give you all a reasonable expectation of what you'll find when you view the same titles on your home system. Sometimes the gap is wider than others. I can only report what I find and hope that in most cases we can all share the same experience.

Regards,
gbaby, lgans316, dan4081 and 1 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #40 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
As always, the reviews are very welcomed.

I picked up the disc yesterday and PERSONALLY was not wowed. There were some very very nice scenes but not enough. If it looked like some of the best scenes for the whole movie, then i would of been wowed.
The DV version via OPPO to my LG OLED did not have any raised black letter bars which was nice.

As for the movie...it also had some good points but not enough. PERSONALLY I did not like the the actors...did not fit to me. Also, personally tired of the political propaganda hitting you over the head from the opening scene. Enough that I will probably never watch it again. What a shame.
KRGM1 likes this.
post #41 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
My apologies to those that don't agree with the review. I always try to give you all a reasonable expectation of what you'll find when you view the same titles on your home system. Sometimes the gap is wider than others. I can only report what I find and hope that in most cases we can all share the same experience.

Regards,
No need for apologies Ralph, your reviews are always welcome. And I should note that I've seen reports that the VuDu version is not as good as the physical disk. I was only referring to the VuDu version as I was able to get it for free.

Would be curious to see a comparison between the Vudu version and the UHD version.

Thanks again for the follow up and review.
Ralph Potts likes this.

My Gear:
Spoiler!
post #42 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 701
My take. It is a complete reboot to integrate into the current Marvel Universe, its not comparable to Spiderman (2002), or the Amazing Spiderman 2012. The theme was gaining maturity.

In a way it reminds me how different Iron Man 3 was and how people were disappointed because the lack of action, or interaction with other Marvel Hero's. This film is similar with getting upclose/personal, you are pulled into his current world, great powers he possessed without experience.

You saw him introduced during Civil War, but knew very little about his background. In this film you get to know what he is thinking, hopes, desires, doing stupid things as a kid. I thought it was interesting as hell that they selected Michael Keaton who played the original Batman (1989) as the worker who didn't like the system, and became a villain in it for the money.

I think one of the most difficult feats that they achieved here with this film was that most of the time Spiderman was not swinging from building to building. Seeing him chase the van across roofs, trees, through yards was challenging for parties filming this compared to the usual CGI. Getting wet from the sprinklers was funny, couldn't swing. I thought the UHD HDR DV presentation was excellent BTW.

Like Iron Man 3 it all sorta comes together in the end after a departure from the usual Marvel action, here too you see quite a bit of hero building and skill development in the end. Love Aunt May comment at end!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #43 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
As far as franchise reboots go I think that Spider-Man: Homecoming is a winner. I look forward to what lies in store in the next installment.
Both Aunt May and MJ were a total break from the previous endeavors. Way cooler to utilize an "well informed/modern" Aunt May, and much more intelligent MJ. Allows future plots not to be repetitive of past films.
Ralph Potts and dan4081 like this.

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by JohnAV; 10-18-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #44 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
You probably don't want to hear this but 3D version will only have DTS-MA 5.1, where as the 4K HDR DV media has Dolby Atmos.

Ralph HDR/HDR DV scores like that will keep me up at night until I get my copy!
I'm long past frustrated with the film industry and who decided that the 3D copy doesn't deserve a 3 dimensional soundscape to go with it? I think the 3D format demands the Atmos or DTSX Master soundtrack, even more than the 2D format does. When are these execs going to stop screwing their consumers who buy discs? We are the bread and butter of this industry. Sooner or later, there needs to be an organized backlash from buyers of optical discs. Writing letters or emails does help. If you guys get five minutes or so, at least send an email with your grievances to them. They will not stop unless their is a wide expression of discontent.
post #45 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Both Aunt May and LJ were a total break from the previous endeavors. Way cooler to utilize an "well informed/modern" Aunt May, and much more intelligent LJ. Allows future plots not to be repetitive of past films.
If you mean MJ...the depiction in the movie is not even remotely the character. Since they call her Michelle, I'm praying that a REAL Mary Jane Watson shows up...(Let's hope they keep their hands off J Jonah Jameson before they screw up that character as well. They might make him bald, Asian, and with tattoos).
post #46 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post
I'm long past frustrated with the film industry and who decided that the 3D copy doesn't deserve a 3 dimensional soundscape to go with it? I think the 3D format demands the Atmos or DTSX Master soundtrack, even more than the 2D format does.
Good luck, 3D is no longer king of the hill with media releases, that is UHD BD's now. Since Disney swing to 4K you are basically doomed!

Oppo Beta Group
post #47 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
If you mean MJ...the depiction in the movie is not even remotely the character. Since they call her Michelle, I'm praying that a REAL Mary Jane Watson shows up...(Let's hope they keep their hands off J Jonah Jameson before they screw up that character as well. They might make him bald, Asian, and with tattoos).
Correct MJ.

Quote:
Near the end of the movie, Michelle reveals she goes by MJ. Spider-Man fans will recognize the moniker as the nickname of the web-slinger's love interest Mary Jane Watson.

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by JohnAV; 10-18-2017 at 03:39 PM.
post #48 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Kevin Feige clarified that they used the "MJ" nickname as an homage to the past, but Michelle Gonzalez is Michelle Gonzalez. She is NOT Mary Jayne Watson.
post #49 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
Kevin Feige clarified that they used the "MJ" nickname as an homage to the past, but Michelle Gonzalez is Michelle Gonzalez. She is NOT Mary Jayne Watson.
Correct, Mary Jane Watson is only one of 20 documented girlfriends. BTW its Michelle Jones, however if you read the following there is a lot more to her.

Spoiler!
seanbryan and Ralph Potts like this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #50 of 82 Old 10-19-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
OT, but JohnAV mentioned Iron Man 3. amazon (Germany) had the Iron Man trilogy in UHD earlier this year.
when are we ever going to see that released here in the US?

of all the MVU my favorite have been the Iron Man movies, followed by Captain America. I haven't been to fond of the Avengers movies (or CA:Civil War) because they sacrifice the story of the individuals as they cram in so many characters and basically turn into war movies.
post #51 of 82 Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
Thumbs up

Another Spot-On review Ralph
.. no issues with your ratings at all (again)

I watched in 4K/UHD ATMOS in Dolby Vision on the 65" OLED
Going to double dip this one for the 3D to watch on the JVC at 120" this weekend.

Too bad about the audio limitation of DTS 5.1 on the 3D disc,
but since I have two players I may try and sync the audio from the 4K/UHD with the 3D Video.
Ralph Potts likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #52 of 82 Old 10-19-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Good luck, 3D is no longer king of the hill with media releases, that is UHD BD's now. Since Disney swing to 4K you are basically doomed!
Yes, I get it. What has that got to do with the theme of my complaint? They are causing us to make unsound decisions regarding purchases. Buying in this manner is disturbing to me and I hate doing it. Meantime, there are still plenty of films releasing in 3D yet, we still are faced with double dipping. I suppose it's okay that I have to upgrade my display, AVR, Pre/Pro/ Players and cables every couple of years due to the HDMI/HDCP spec?
post #53 of 82 Old 10-19-2017, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Another Spot-On review Ralph
.. no issues with your ratings at all (again)

I watched in 4K/UHD ATMOS in Dolby Vision on the 65" OLED
Going to double dip this one for the 3D to watch on the JVC at 120" this weekend.

Too bad about the audio limitation of DTS 5.1 on the 3D disc,
but since I have two players I may try and sync the audio from the 4K/UHD with the 3D Video.
Greetings,

Awesome PioManiac. I am glad that you enjoyed the presentation. Thanks for chiming in on the discussion.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #54 of 82 Old 10-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Correct, Mary Jane Watson is only one of 20 documented girlfriends. BTW its Michelle Jones, however if you read the following there is a lot more to her.

Spoiler!
Right you are. I could have sworn I remember reading somewhere that she was Michelle Gonzales, but yep it's Jones.
post #55 of 82 Old 10-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
lg OLED65e6P

Just received Spider Man,Homecoming, the first 4K UHD with "Dolby Vision" I am aware of. The picture looks great!

Question: This may sound silly, but does my display LG 65E6P and Oppo 203 default to Dolby Vision automatically like the audio codecs included?

Where do I receive confirmation Dolby Vision in happening, other than the picture looking great?
post #56 of 82 Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambo View Post
Just received Spider Man,Homecoming, the first 4K UHD with "Dolby Vision" I am aware of. The picture looks great!

Question: This may sound silly, but does my display LG 65E6P and Oppo 203 default to Dolby Vision automatically like the audio codecs included?

Where do I receive confirmation Dolby Vision in happening, other than the picture looking great?
Despicable Me was the first home release 4K with Dolby Vision (June 6th,2017)

Full list of available (and coming soon) DV 4K titles here:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448

I got these a couple weeks ago, right after my Oppo arrived

a few of my DV screenshots in the OLED thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post54929262

Dolby Vision pop's up in the top right corner of my LG OLED screen automatically, just like it does for HDR.
(65B6P + Oppo 203)

You can also hit the scroll button on the LG remote at any time (assuming its the same as mine)
and aim it at the top left corner of your screen and click on the HDMI letters for resolution/color space display info

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-20-2017 at 12:53 PM.
post #57 of 82 Old 10-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is there two different versions for sale, one with Dolby Vision and one with HDR-10?, I couldn't find any information on amazon on which version they are selling?

Vizio M60-D1 | Denon 4300h | 7.3.4 | Oppo DDP-203
post #58 of 82 Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDMike View Post
Is there two different versions for sale, one with Dolby Vision and one with HDR-10?, I couldn't find any information on amazon on which version they are selling?
The 4K/UHD version has both Dolby Vision and HDR encoded,
If connected to a DV capable player/display it will play in DV, if not it will play back in HDR10.
DVDMike likes this.

post #59 of 82 Old 10-20-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

By law, all 4K's with Dolby Vision must also include HDR

Zombie's pic shows the label with both listed (left)

post #60 of 82 Old 10-21-2017, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Despicable Me was the first home release 4K with Dolby Vision (June 6th,2017)

Full list of available (and coming soon) DV 4K titles here:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448

I got these a couple weeks ago, right after my Oppo arrived

a few of my DV screenshots in the OLED thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post54929262

Dolby Vision pop's up in the top right corner of my LG OLED screen automatically, just like it does for HDR.
(65B6P + Oppo 203)

You can also hit the scroll button on the LG remote at any time (assuming its the same as mine)
and aim it at the top left corner of your screen and click on the HDMI letters for resolution/color space display info

I have the LG OLED65EP...Need to see the pop up come on the right side of display, as HDR does...Not seeing it. Yet, on the left side of the display, when I click on the left corner..all the information you display is there.....WTF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page