Spider-Man: Homecoming Ultra HD Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #61 of 82 Old 10-21-2017, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
DOLBY VISION..Confirmation

Where would the Dolby Vision confirmation lettering appear if any, on my LG OLED65EP display and/or Oppo 203? If HDR lettering displays, would that be confirmation enough?

Very curious....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 10-21-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked: 8655
HDR is not Dolby Vision
If it doesn't say Dolby Vision, you don't have it.

Your TV and Oppo are both DV enabled by default,
So I'm guessing your signal is passing through an AVR that does not support DV pass through
and you're only getting HDR.

You either need to bypass the AVR by going direct Oppo to OLED for HDMI video only
...and the Oppo HDMI Audio out to your AVR for sound, or get a new AVR that has DV support..

Top Left corner (LG OLED input Signal Display)

Ralph Potts and Torqdog like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-22-2017 at 01:14 PM.
post #63 of 82 Old 10-22-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3434 Post(s)
Liked: 2344
Watched it today with my son, we enjoyed it as usual. Fantastic!! Good LFE bit at the end the fight after the plane crash.
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 82 Old 10-23-2017, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 177
This is a great 4K disc to own. Fun movie and looks good. Atmos really stands out during the plane scene towards then end when the guy talks over the intercom.

Spoiler!
post #65 of 82 Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 2230
Hey Ralph,

The "credits are rolling" so I thought I would weigh in. There is no "buyer's remorse" on this title, for I enjoyed the movie, the PQ, and especially the Dolby Atmos mix. I absolutely agree with the Audio Score of 94! The panning and discrete effects were amazingly precise, giving us an true 3D audio experience.

You and I differ on the PQ Score though, for I would have given it the same score as the audio...94. In comparing it with Transformers: The Last Knight, it just didn't have the POP (in clarity or colors). There were some "soft shots" in several scenes, and as one member mentioned I noticed "elevated blacks in the letter-boxed bars" (they were sporadic, but when they occurred it was quite noticeable). But....all in all, a very good UHD/HDR release.

Denny
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #66 of 82 Old 10-25-2017, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 6520
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Hey Ralph,

The "credits are rolling" so I thought I would weigh in. There is no "buyer's remorse" on this title, for I enjoyed the movie, the PQ, and especially the Dolby Atmos mix. I absolutely agree with the Audio Score of 94! The panning and discrete effects were amazingly precise, giving us an true 3D audio experience.

You and I differ on the PQ Score though, for I would have given it the same score as the audio...94. In comparing it with Transformers: The Last Knight, it just didn't have the POP (in clarity or colors). There were some "soft shots" in several scenes, and as one member mentioned I noticed "elevated blacks in the letter-boxed bars" (they were sporadic, but when they occurred it was quite noticeable). But....all in all, a very good UHD/HDR release.

Denny

Greetings,

Thanks for offering your impressions Denny. It's always welcomed and appreciated.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #67 of 82 Old 10-25-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked: 3259
My take, but first:

Received my Spider Man Homecoming 4K today. Installed into the player, then immediately heard the rumbling Members have been posting about. Removed, and could feel the disc wasn't completed properly. Rough edges all around. Took a white eraser, and smoothed the edges down. Works fine now without the noise. Saved all the pain in the butt swap out. If most of the discs aren't being finished correctly, then there will be a lot of issues. White eraser quick easy fix.

Review - it was OK as a movie goes. Quality was up there, but I got a feeling this was more a movie made for teenagers, not grown up Marvel fans.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #68 of 82 Old 10-26-2017, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Pretty with good sound, but man I think I overhyped myself way too much for this one. Guess spidey 2 is still the king for me.
lgans316, dan4081 and connoralpha like this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #69 of 82 Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Thanks for the review!

I picked this up tonight at Costco. I might have a chance to watch this next week. Although I liked the comics and TV shows as a kid I didn't really like the 2 tries to date to put Spidy on the big screen. Looking forward to taking this for a spin!

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #70 of 82 Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked: 2361
This was the single best surprise of 2017 for me. I loved the McGuire trilogy, hated the Garfield duo, and was tired of them rebooting Spiderman. I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from buying this (only for the A/V after reading Ralph's review). One of the things that impressed me so much was the texture and tautness of the bass, but definitely an overall reference disc for immersive audio and UHD video.

I put this film in the same league as the original Iron Man, Winter Soldier, and Civil War as one of the top Marvel Cinematic Universe entries. One of its best aspects was seeing how the existence of the Avengers changed the world in subtle ways. Teachers teaching about the Sokovia Accord in schools, pre-recorded inspirational videos by an Avenger member played back to students in detention and gym class, etc. These little details added a layer of realism to the MCU that contributes to the overall MCU in a special way. A teacher even makes a joke referring to Captain America as a war criminal (an allusion to the events in Civil War). Loved it for its AV prowess, and loved it for its story.
post #71 of 82 Old 11-17-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Thanks for the review!

I picked this up tonight at Costco. I might have a chance to watch this next week. Although I liked the comics and TV shows as a kid I didn't really like the 2 tries to date to put Spidy on the big screen. Looking forward to taking this for a spin!

Cheers,

You'll like this one! It's amazing what they can do once they recognize that EVERYONE knows that Spiderman was bitten by a spider! lol...cut out the origin story, and you get an amazing canvas. What Marvel did with this canvas was amazing.
Ralph Potts and dnoonie like this.
post #72 of 82 Old 11-20-2017, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
You'll like this one! It's amazing what they can do once they recognize that EVERYONE knows that Spiderman was bitten by a spider! lol...cut out the origin story, and you get an amazing canvas. What Marvel did with this canvas was amazing.
Hey thanks!!! I did enjoy it, and yes assuming that everyone knows the origin story and just moving along really works for me (wasn't it briefly mentioned/summarized in Civil War?).

Spoiler!

I'll have to watch it again to really take it in.

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #73 of 82 Old 12-02-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
I was finally able to watch the whole movie from start to finish last night(previously I watched a few scenes to test out some HDR settings)with my wife.

We both really enjoyed the movie. Audio was great and even my wife made comments in that regard.

The video is where I will have to say I wasn't as impressed as I wanted it to be. I'd say after the 6 or 7 4K titles I have watched since my revised HDR calibration back in October, this was the first one where I couldn't tell enough of a difference between the Blu-ray. After the movie was over I popped in the blu-ray version and I would have almost preferred watching that over the 4K. In this case it was due to the overall brightness differences. My HDR calibration is right on the line of probably being too dim for some and I am sure that played a huge part of it. Like I said, the previous 4K titles were all great and the Blu-ray counterparts weren't as good to my eyes.

I am sure as time goes on, things will continue to improve in the mastering of these movies. Tonight we are watching Logan Lucky, so we will see how that looks.

Thanks again Ralph for these reviews. I know I really appreciate them.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #74 of 82 Old 12-09-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have OLED C6P and an Xbox One S. Both capable of DolbyVision. Shouldn't this disc be defaulting to DolbyVision when I watch it? I'm watching it now and it's showing in HDR 10.
post #75 of 82 Old 12-10-2017, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 6520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbran23 View Post
I have OLED C6P and an Xbox One S. Both capable of DolbyVision. Shouldn't this disc be defaulting to DolbyVision when I watch it? I'm watching it now and it's showing in HDR 10.
Greetings,

Is the video being passed through an AVR? If so, is it capable of passing the Dolby Vision signal?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #76 of 82 Old 12-10-2017, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It's not the disc, it's your Xbox one S only supports HDR10, Microsoft will never support Dolby Vision period, only reason i sold mine and bought Apple TV 4k instead.
post #77 of 82 Old 12-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince2008 View Post
Quote:
It's not the disc, it's your Xbox one S only supports HDR10, Microsoft will never support Dolby Vision period, only reason i sold mine and bought Apple TV 4k instead.
Ah, ok. Guess I should have done my homework. I just assumed that the Xbox did both.
post #78 of 82 Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Ah, ok. Guess I should have done my homework. I just assumed that the Xbox did both.
Xbox One [S/X] supports Dolby ATMOS [audio] but not Dolby VISION [video]
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #79 of 82 Old 01-03-2018, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a version of this Blu-ray that has 4k and a 1080p 3D version? I got the 3D one for Christmas and was looking to exchange it for one that has both, but i haven't found any

Last edited by burdell1; 01-04-2018 at 09:59 AM.
post #80 of 82 Old 01-04-2018, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell1 View Post
Is there a version of this Blu-ray that has 4k and a 1080p 3D version? I got the 3D one for Christmas and was looking to exchange it for one that has both, but i haven't found any
HMV UK Exclusive Steelbook and Film Arena Steelbook.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
post #81 of 82 Old 04-12-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
This was the single best surprise of 2017 for me. I loved the McGuire trilogy, hated the Garfield duo, and was tired of them rebooting Spiderman. I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from buying this (only for the A/V after reading Ralph's review). One of the things that impressed me so much was the texture and tautness of the bass, but definitely an overall reference disc for immersive audio and UHD video.

I put this film in the same league as the original Iron Man, Winter Soldier, and Civil War as one of the top Marvel Cinematic Universe entries. One of its best aspects was seeing how the existence of the Avengers changed the world in subtle ways. Teachers teaching about the Sokovia Accord in schools, pre-recorded inspirational videos by an Avenger member played back to students in detention and gym class, etc. These little details added a layer of realism to the MCU that contributes to the overall MCU in a special way. A teacher even makes a joke referring to Captain America as a war criminal (an allusion to the events in Civil War). Loved it for its AV prowess, and loved it for its story.
Just as a follow-up, I rewatched this movie earlier this week, and this time I convinced my wife to join me. She absolutely loved it (and I loved it even more than the first time). It's important to understand....my wife fell asleep during The Dark Knight Rises and asked me to stop and put in something else during the middle of the highway chase scene in Captain America: Civil War. She is a TOUGH sell when it comes to superhero movies.....but there are three that she loves: Iron Man, Thor, and now, Spider-Man Homecoming. I found the AV even more impressive this time around.
blastermaster likes this.
post #82 of 82 Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Anyone else watch this on bluray on a 7.1 setup and get a bunch of weird sound at the beginning when they are cleaning up the alien tech? Like it was supposed to echo but it just sounds like complete junk?

- 6 x Boston Acoustic CR6 Frankencenter, Boston Acoustic CR8 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 x jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page