Spider-Man: Homecoming Ultra HD Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #1 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6203
Spider-Man: Homecoming Ultra HD Review

Peter Parker balances his life as an ordinary high school student in Queens with his superhero alter-ego Spider-Man, and finds himself on the trail of a new menace prowling the skies of New York City.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2017
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 133 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC @ 4000 NITS
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible), English, French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio (Blu-ray), Spanish, Thai Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Arabic, Chinese, Cantonese, French, Dutch, Spanish, French, Indonesian, Malay, Korean
Starring: Tom Holland, Robert Downey Jr., Michael Keaton, Jon Favreau, Donald Glover, Marisa Tomei, Jabob Batalon, Zendaya, Bokeem Woodbine
Directed by: Jon Watts
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by: Jonathan Goldstein, John Francis Daley, Jon Watts, Christopher ford, Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: October 17, 2017

"Homework Can Wait. The City Can’t"

My Take:

A young Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Tom Holland), who made his sensational debut in Captain America: Civil War, begins to navigate his newfound identity as the web-slinging super hero in Spider-Man Homecoming. Thrilled by his experience with the Avengers, Peter returns home, where he lives with his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei), under the watchful eye of his new mentor Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.). Peter tries to fall back into his normal daily routine--distracted by thoughts of proving himself to be more than just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man--but when the Vulture (Michael Keaton) emerges as a new villain, everything that Peter holds most important will be threatened.

As a youngster I was a big Spider-man fan. This was actually born first out of watching the cartoon series on TV then going on to read the comics. Spidey was and is easy to like and the character has a transcendent appeal that has endured. When the first film series come out I was initially skeptical about how effectively he could be brought to the big screen. Regardless about what some may think I thought that Tobey Maguire handled it well. What eventually made the series less appealing were the storylines, especially those revolving around Peter’s relationship with Mary Jane, and the plot points associated with villains.

Then there was the 2012 reboot, The Amazing Spider-Man starring Andrew Garfield. I rather enjoyed the handling of those two films, finding the edginess of the storyline and incorporation of the villains and Peter’s personal life to be compelling. When I learned that there was going to be another iteration I wasn’t as enthusiastic, but my son, who is a big fan of the character and films assured me that this new direction would be the best yet. After seeing the character’s appearance in Captain America: Civil War I thought he could very well be right.

When Spider-Man: Homecoming was released in theaters earlier this year I went to see it with my wife and my son (he had already seen it). We of course, enjoyed it. The differing narrative spin regarding young Peter opens the door for further exploration even if it does tweak the Spider-man mythos a bit. Drawing Peter as less self-confident hero struggling to prove himself is a nice touch as is the introduction of his relationship with Iron Man/The Avengers and how it pertains to the storyline. The decision to incorporate the re-design of the Spidey suit is spot on. The remaining production elements are top notch and support the action sequences which prove entertaining.

The script is well crafted and the pacing is excellent. At well over two hours it moves along nicely. In addition to Peter, the integration of the secondary characters as well as the subplot/plot involving The Vulture is well done. The cast selection is complimentary all around and effectively enhances the film’s allure. The conclusion sets the stage for the continuing storyline regarding the character as well as the upcoming events in the Marvel film universe.

As far as franchise reboots go I think that Spider-Man: Homecoming is a winner. I look forward to what lies in store in the next installment.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi action violence, some language, and brief suggestive content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 100

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Spider-Man: Homecoming comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 60 Mbps and lossless Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible) sound that has an average bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Spider-Men: Homecoming was derived from a 2.8K source and was finished at a 2K Digital Intermediate.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is an action fantasy based film that is boldly colorful throughout, and this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a discernible increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears noticeably sharper and vibrant when compared to the 1080p version. Primary colors such red and blue are pleasingly rich while whites appear gradational and punchy. The added dimension in blacks and shadows is immediately noticeable. I found the natural rendering of light via its discernible stages and incremental highlights to be one of the presentation's big pluses. Blacks are rich, with excellent dynamic range, and detectable levels of detail.

The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. At times the level of minutia is excellent, as even the finest nuance in the physical features, clothing and costumes worn by the characters seen onscreen is resolvable. The exterior shots of the NY and Washington DC based locations, both real and CGI featured in the story have superb depth which adds an enriching, and eye-catching aesthetic to them.

Based upon the excellent quality of the original source the difference between viewing Spider-Man: Homecoming in high definition and Ultra HD isn't night and day but there is no question that its UHD presentation benefitted from the increase in resolution, and high dynamic range treatment. This is among the better releases I have seen from the format and I hope to see more like it going forward.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I recently added the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel to my review system. This was to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Spider-Man: Homecoming, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be identical. As I alluded to earlier, this film’s elements are lent to bright color and vibrant highlights. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings, any minute differences were negligible and not enough to warrant a rating difference. Both looked terrific, leaving me similarly satisfied with what I saw.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of sounds placed above is a mix of music, atmospherics and discrete effects. This is done well and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. Over the course of the film there are various sequences (such as the rescue at the Washington Monument and standoff on the Staten Island Ferry) where environmental sounds, music cues and discrete objects are mixed to differing locations in the sound field, adding a head turning element to the viewing experience.

The large set piece in the finale, involving encounter with The Vulture, finishes things off with a bang as flying debris, atmospherics, and near field objects rotate, and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. I enjoyed this immersive sound mix, and think that it complimented the source material, making for a noticeably richer listening experience when compared to the 5.1 channel mix on the Blu-ray/3D Blu-ray.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Spider-Man: Homecoming Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Spider-Man Homecoming Blu-ray
    • The Spidey Study Guide
    • 10 Deleted Scenes
    • Gag Reel
    • Seven Featurettes
    o “A Tangled Web”
    o “Searching For Spider-Man”
    o “Spidey Stunts”
    o “Aftermath”
    o “The Vulture Takes Flight”
    o “Jon Watts: Head of the Class”
    o “Pros And Cons of Spider-Man”
    • Rappin’ with Cap: Captain America PSAs
    • Photo Gallery
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

I thoroughly enjoyed Spider-Man: Homecoming. It’s a solid genre reboot, that revitalized the superhero’s big screen promise, which makes it a winner in my book. It swings onto Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Combo Pack that delivers sparkling image quality, while invigorating the listening experience with an excellent Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix. Also included is a fair assortment of extra that are worth exploring. Spider-Man: Homecoming favorably opens the door for what is to come for the character, and makes for a terrific, and highly recommended purchase on Blu-ray for fans. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
G-Rex, gonzalc3, gbaby and 3 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 10-15-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2109 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Wow! Talk about some really nice audio/video scores. This will be a must own for me.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Why? I was trying to hold of until black Friday to get it for less. Now I have to grab this on Tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
4K or 3D? I don't want to double dip. Double dipping for one or two movies is fine, but to keep on constantly doing so for every movie is stupidity
post #5 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Interesting Dolby Vision vs HDR-10 section Ralph. With all the talk of DV's superiority around the forums, interesting that real world results are... they are often very similar (at least on some movies). It will be interesting to see what HDR-10 w/ Dynamic Metadata brings to the table. Excellent review, will be picking this one up for sure.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by G-Rex; 10-15-2017 at 11:28 AM.
post #6 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
4K or 3D? I don't want to double dip. Double dipping for one or two movies is fine, but to keep on constantly doing so for every movie is stupidity
Greetings,

4K on this one. The image is so good it almost LOOKS 3D..

Regards,
Hellohowareyou likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 569
I was not able to see this movie in theater because he price of a babysitter ($20/ per hour ) and the cost of the tickets $19 a piece roughly $80.00 combined I preordered this and am watching it on Tuesday night with the wife when my son goes to sleep. Very very excited to hear that the DV rating is a 100 and the Atmos is up there as well. I am chomping at the bit to watch this one. Thanks for a good review Ralph.

Dave
post #8 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
These scores are interesting. Can’t believe this looks better than Transformers... Can’t wait to see this on Tuesday.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #9 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Great review Ralph. When reviewing Dolby Vision movies on the TCL, what setting are you using, Darker/Dark DV? I have the TCL as well and I tried normal/Dark DV for a little extra punch in a dark room setting. What mode do you find most accurate? Watched Transformers Last Night on Vudu. Great looking PQ w/ DV that made an otherwise bad film tolerable. Looking forward to Homecoming!
post #10 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
These scores are interesting. Can’t believe this looks better than Transformers... Can’t wait to see this on Tuesday.
Greetings,

Both look amazing. Any quibbles over differences would essentially be splitting hairs, but you can't go wrong either way.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Yay, a movie with amazing Ralph scores that will actually be watchable as a movie (unlike Transformers, Great Wall etc)

My only drawback is that ChadB is coming in a week to tweak so I'll have to do my best to hold off watching this until then. Should make for an amazing first run post-calibration watch though.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #12 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I've only watched this movie in 4K DV on the ATV4K so far, but agree with Ralph about the depth & variation of colors, in either HDR or DV.

I'm sure the atmospherics included in the movie are going to be much better on the 4K UHD disc versus any streaming version.

Great review Ralph! I like how thorough your reviews are, and the addition of your new DV flat panel will just aid future reviews for comparisons.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by wxchaser; 10-15-2017 at 01:30 PM.
post #13 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
You probably don't want to hear this but 3D version will only have DTS-MA 5.1, where as the 4K HDR DV media has Dolby Atmos.

Ralph HDR/HDR DV scores like that will keep me up at night until I get my copy!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #14 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
Thanks for the heads up. This wasn't even on my radar.
BB Steel Book was sold out, but the Regular 4K was still able to be Pre-ordered. (Not found on Amazon.ca. Is this another BB exclusive?)

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #15 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Dooby Vision Rules! aint buyin 4k blu ray without it...LG needs to fix all their oled problems theyve have 2 years and i am in in 2018....77 inch 8K oled!
Tarheels_23 likes this.
post #16 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Veader View Post
Dooby Vision Rules! aint buyin 4k blu ray without it...LG needs to fix all their oled problems theyve have 2 years and i am in in 2018....77 inch 8K oled!
Does this Dooby Vision come from smoking weed?

Thrilled to be getting this possibly tomorrow from BB (mail preorder).
Pyronaut likes this.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #17 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3316 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Looking forward in picking this up thanks for review Ralph
Ralph Potts likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #18 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Thanks for the heads up. This wasn't even on my radar.
BB Steel Book was sold out, but the Regular 4K was still able to be Pre-ordered. (Not found on Amazon.ca. Is this another BB exclusive?)
To my fellow Canuck. There are still four Steel Book 4K copies left to be grabbed as of 10:41 PM ET. The'll be gone in a few minutes, now that I've posted...
post #19 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm surprised that HDR10 and Dolby Vision looked pretty much the same on this one. Perhaps it may have had something to do with the TV? I wonder what it would be like on higher end TVs like an LG OLED or Vizio P65.
It's a shame that this was from a 2K DI though. I expected a 4K master since Sony is involved.
post #20 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Smile

Since I still want 3D versions along with 4K, I am starting to order combo packs from Amazon. From amazon.fr my
'Vos commandes" are Blade Runner, Wonder Woman and this Spider-Man movie. Then I ordered from amazon.co.uk Valerian (is a Steelbook) and War of the Planet of the Apes with the same 4K/3D configuration.

Most of the Blu rays are region free these days.......but I don't check too much because I have a region free Oppo.

I can't wait to see the new spidey.....but since these are foreign disc's, they usually come out a month or so later than in NA.

edit.....tired typing style.......
post #21 of 82 Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked: 3878
Hopefully no more of the occasional elevated black bars with the Dolby vision encodes, most noticeable on OLED tv's.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #22 of 82 Old 10-16-2017, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Thanks for the great review, Ralph.

Looks like I'll be picking this one up! Looking forward to seeing it in Dolby Vision. Still, I wish GOTG2 was in DV I'll bet it would have really made the colors pop!

Are you planning on reviewing The Mummy in 4k or have they still not sent the UHD copy?
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED65B7P | AVR-X6300H | 7.1.4 - Klipsch RF 7II, RC-64II, RS-62II, RP 260f, 4x CDT-5800-CII, JTR Cap 1400 | OPPO 203 | XB1X | PS4 Pro | PC (i9-7900x, 1080ti)
post #23 of 82 Old 10-16-2017, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveG View Post
Thanks for the great review, Ralph.

Looks like I'll be picking this one up! Looking forward to seeing it in Dolby Vision. Still, I wish GOTG2 was in DV I'll bet it would have really made the colors pop!

Are you planning on reviewing The Mummy in 4k or have they still not sent the UHD copy?
Greetings,

Thanks MassiveG. At this point I am not planning on it, but if I do obtain a copy, I will put a review together.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 82 Old 10-16-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2109 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Interesting Dolby Vision vs HDR-10 section Ralph. With all the talk of DV's superiority around the forums, interesting that real world results are... they are often very similar (at least on some movies). It will be interesting to see what HDR-10 w/ Dynamic Metadata brings to the table. Excellent review, will be picking this one up for sure.
I have noticed the same from personal experience. DV is not all the fuss it was made out to be. In fact, there are often lip sync issues with DV on disc, so I typically force HDR10.
post #25 of 82 Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
Since I still want 3D versions along with 4K, I am starting to order combo packs from Amazon. From amazon.fr my
'Vos commandes" are Blade Runner, Wonder Woman and this Spider-Man movie. Then I ordered from amazon.co.uk Valerian (is a Steelbook) and War of the Planet of the Apes with the same 4K/3D configuration.

Most of the Blu rays are region free these days.......but I don't check too much because I have a region free Oppo.

I can't wait to see the new spidey.....but since these are foreign disc's, they usually come out a month or so later than in NA.

edit.....tired typing style.......
This is great info thanks. I tried looking into the region codes for the blu-rays in amazon.fr, but I can't seem to find it. Could anyone please verify from whatever source is available, whether the Blu-rays (2D and 3D) are Region free or tied to a specific region?

Edit: Looks like the 3D and 2D blu-rays are going to be Region Free, at least the ones that are released in North America http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spider...lu-ray/169942/
While the French one is Region B but other regions are untested. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spider...lu-ray/183510/

I am going to return my 4K Steel Book to Best Buy and wait for the amazon.fr version to be tested. Thing is I am married to 3D, and I find the 3D generally to be more immersive when watching in my 10 ft wide screen.

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; 10-16-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #26 of 82 Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I have noticed the same from personal experience. DV is not all the fuss it was made out to be. .
This.
The differences are incremental at best.
post #27 of 82 Old 10-16-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
You probably don't want to hear this but 3D version will only have DTS-MA 5.1, where as the 4K HDR DV media has Dolby Atmos.
I can never figure out where it is mentioned whether the included blu-ray has the ATMOS....?
post #28 of 82 Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
This.
The differences are incremental at best.
I think it must depend on the movie (and the TV). I read a review on another site for Despicable Me 3 with DV and the person was gushing about how much better it looked than HDR10.
post #29 of 82 Old 10-17-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
So I am going to be "that guy" and disagree with the review, specifically the video transfer. I watched it yesterday and while it looked good, it wasn't "100" good to me. Resolution was good, but it wasn't outstanding. Specular highlights were also in the same vein. The blacks and low lit detail was quite good, though; as was the colors, they were quite impressive as well.

Frankly, I was more impressed overall by transfers like "Split" or "Life" or "Passengers."
Gillietalls and KRGM1 like this.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1

Last edited by Aetherhole; 10-17-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #30 of 82 Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Quoted: 3356 Post(s)
Liked: 8515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
I can never figure out where it is mentioned whether the included blu-ray has the ATMOS....?
It's a Sony release, so ATMOS is exclusive to the 4K/UHD.

For a running list of BD's that have ATMOS or DTS:X audio available on the regular 1080 Bluray:

1080 BD ATMOS
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=248132

1080 BD DTS:X
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=257742

4K/UHD's with ATMOS or DTS:X
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276065

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-17-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page