Ingrid Goes West Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet

post #1 of 2 Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 5876
Ingrid Goes West Blu-ray Review

An unhinged social media stalker moves to LA and insinuates herself into the life of an Instagram star.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2017
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 98 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: Aubrey Plaza, Elizabeth Olsen, Billy Magnussen, Wyatt Russell, Pom Klementieff, O’Shea Jackson Jr.
Directed by: Matt Spicer
Music by: Nick Thorburn
Written by: David Branson Smith & Matt Spicer
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: November 7, 2017

"She’ll Follow You"

My Take:

Ingrid Thorburn is an unhinged social media stalker with a history of confusing "likes" for meaningful relationships. Taylor Sloane is an Instagram-famous "influencer" whose perfectly curated, boho-chic lifestyle becomes Ingrid's latest obsession. When Ingrid moves to LA and manages to insinuate herself into the social media star's life, their relationship quickly goes from #BFF to #WTF.

I hadn’t heard of Ingrid Goes West prior to receiving it for review, but I find Aubrey Plaza’s choices in films to generally play to her strengths, so I gave it a go. Director/co-writer Matt Spicer and writer David Branson Smith take aim at the millennial generation’s infatuation with social media, and in particular, how some see it as a direct link to their identity. They hit the target squarely in the bullseye, crafting a poignant, darkly funny expose, that takes a hard look at one woman’s journey to discover, just how far you can ride the social media train, in order to find meaning in her life, as seen through others on the world wide web.

Filled with awkward situational humor, biting commentary, and a cache of well-drawn characters, Ingrid Goes West fires on all cylinders. Of course, it wouldn’t work nearly as well without Aubrey Plaza’s spot-on performance, which is wonderfully credible. She shares excellent chemistry with both Elizabeth Olsen and O’Shea Jackson, which makes it all the better. Honorable mention must go to Billy Magnussen, in the role of Nicky, who literally steals every scene he is in.

Ingrid Goes West is one of those films that pops up from nowhere to remind me of why I enjoy my job as a reviewer.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language throughout, drug use, some sexual content, and disturbing behavior.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Ingrid Goes West comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This 2.40:1 framed video presentation offers appreciable high definition resolution that has a satisfying glossy aesthetic. Images are stable and sharp with plenty of discernible texture and revealing fine detail during close-ups. Blacks are deep while exhibiting appreciable dynamic range with stable yet slightly elevated contrast that never infringes upon fidelity. Colors are snappy and bright and sullen and muted where appropriate. Fleshtones appear descriptive with variable depth that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack features crystal clear dialog, robust dynamics and a subtle, yet enriching surround sound mix. I was pleased with its use of spatial dimension and directional cues to create an apropos and occasionally immersive sound field. This worked hand in hand with show’s music, and active sequences to build tension and drive its thematic elements. I thought it sounded quite good.

Bonus Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Matt Spicer, David Branson Smith and Aubrey Plaza
  • 3 Deleted Scenes with Optional Audio Commentary by Matt Spicer, David Branson Smith and Aubrey Plaza
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Ingrid Goes West is a contemporary, well-crafted, and entertaining comedy that never misses the mark. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring solid high definition audio/video quality mated with a middling supplemental package. Ingrid Goes West is pitch perfect entertainment for discerning genre fans, and is recommend viewing on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-31-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 2894
Good review Ralph, I saw this in the theater and I agree with what you wrote.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page