Ultra HD Blu-ray Spotlight: A Few Good Men - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By Dr.Evazan

post #1 of 2 Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6118
Ultra HD Blu-ray Spotlight: A Few Good Men

Ralph Potts puts the Spotlight on this compelling drama about a fast-talking, charming, Navy defense attorney that must prove that a pair of Marines are innocent of murdering a fellow soldier.

My Thoughts:

Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson and Demi Moore star in Rob Reiner's unanimously acclaimed drama about the dangerous difference between following orders and following one's conscience. Cruise stars as a brash Navy lawyer who's teamed with a gung-ho litigator (Moore) in a politically explosive murder case. Charged with defending two Marines accused of killing a fellow soldier, they are confronted with complex issues of loyalty and honor - including its most sacred code and its most formidable warrior (Nicholson).

Written by Aaron Sorkin, based on his play of the same name, A Few Good Men is a taut and provocative courtroom thriller that generally need little introduction. Featuring excellent direction, intelligently crafted situations, spot on character design, and compelling performances, most notably from Jack Nicolson in his terrific and iconic turn as Colonel Nathan Jessup, the conniving base commander who wants the whole affair swept under the carpet, it is among my favorite films. The characters are wonderfully drawn and fit quite nicely within the narrative’s construct. The drama isn’t overdone but rather supports the superbly crafted tension and cohesive narrative. Tom Cruise, Demi Moore, J.T. Walsh, Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Bacon, and Kevin Pollack own their respective roles which adds and enriching authenticity to the proceedings. I have seen this film more time than I can recount and never tire of watching it. This Ultra HD release gave me another opportunity and I had a great time with it. If you have never seen A Few Good Men it comes highly recommended!

Release Date: November 7, 2017

A Few Good Men comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible) sound.

UHD Presentation: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. A film like A Few Good Men has an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of optics that won't result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of a film shot using digital cameras. This isn't a problem and shouldn't be seen as such.

Let me start by saying that this is a wonderfully crafted film, both in narrative, and scope. It’s not an overtly bright film, although there are bright elements. The cinematography benefits from the enhanced resolution and warmer chromatic accents. The high dynamic range is subtly applied, enriching the film’s frequent use of natural lighting, which imparts an added sense of depth. Resolution is predominantly stable with only a few instances where innate softening crops up. Overall, I found the image to be sharp, especially revealing plenty of minutia during close-ups, and wide-angle shots.

I noticed that film grain took on more emphasis here and there which some may interpret as background noise, but I didn’t detect any extraneous noise. White and black levels are stable, achieving excellent and complimentary balance. Comparing this presentation to the 1080p version, the gap is quite obvious. The Ultra HD rendering brings the overall image up, warranting serious consideration for fans.

The new Dolby Atmos mix uses the entire platform so as to broaden the soundstage. This includes off camera sounds and low-level ambience. The music score is mixed over the sound field, adding natural depth to its orchestrated elements while complimenting the story's thematic details. This is done to very good effect, correlating with the onscreen events quite nicely as the most minute audio cues are fully realized. I appreciated the fact that the sound designers didn't go overboard with the freedom of object versus channel based mixing. The soundtrack retains much of its original essence with the Atmos mix adding a noticeable increase in scope.

Bonus Features:
  • Audio Commentary by Rob Reiner
  • Code of Conduct
  • From Stage to Screen
  • Digital HD Copy

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
John^Galt likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 11-18-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Thanks for including this statement for releases like this one. I think this concept is lost on a lot of people.

"It’s important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. A film like A Few Good Men has an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of optics that won’t result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of a film shot using digital cameras. This isn’t a problem and shouldn’t be seen as such."
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page