• 1 Post By bobknavs

post #1 of 15 Old 11-26-2017, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
Logan Lucky Ultra HD Review

Ralph Potts reviews this deft comedy/thriller from Director Steven Soderbergh, about brothers Jimmy and Clyde Logan, who, in an effort to reverse a family curse, set out to execute an elaborate robbery during the legendary Coca-Cola 600 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2017
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 119 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Channing Tatum, Daniel Craig, Adam Driver, Riley Keough, Katie Holmes, Katherine Waterston, Sebastian Stan, Dwight Yoakam, Brian Gleeson, Seth MacFarlane
Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Music: David Holmes
Written by: Rebecca Blunt
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: November 28, 2017

"See How the Other Half Steals"

My Take:

Hoping to reverse a ‘curse’ that’s hung over his family for generations, Jimmy Logan (Tatum) hatches a plan to rob the Charlotte Motor Speedway during the Coca-Cola 600, NASCAR'S biggest race of the year. He convinces his bartender brother Clyde (Driver) and hairdresser sister Mellie (Keough) to help him pull everything off--but first they have to break the bomb-maker Joe Bang (Craig) out of jail in broad daylight. Academy Award® winner Hilary Swank plays a no-nonsense FBI agent determined to bring the Logans to justice and keep them from racing away with the loot.

Logan Lucky is a dyed in the wool comedy caper about two bumpkins that set out to change their fortune, or misfortune, by pulling a heist in broad daylight at one of the biggest events on auto-racing. I loved the script, which doesn’t resort to surface level parlor tricks to engage the audience, but, draws you in with clever situational humor, based upon both the wit, and lack thereof, of it characters, and a sneaky good plot that on its surface seems implausible, until it begins to wash over you.

I found it to be smart, fun, and a bit edgy, as peeled back its entertaining layers with pitch perfect pacing. The cast is spot on, with each adding a complimentary and defining element that underscored the film’s spirit and thematic tone. I am not so certain Logan Lucky is destined for classic status, but there is no question that struck the requisite number of chords to make for a deft genre entry that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and some crude comments.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

UHD Presentation: 90

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Logan Lucky comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Logan Lucky was rendered from digital sources and finished on a 4K DI. With the limited exposure to Ultra HD sourced from 4K Digital Intermediates we are left to judge based upon what we have seen thus far.

I received Logan Lucky on Blu-ray and Ultra HD a day apart and watched it on Blu-ray one evening and Ultra HD the next. Each experience was fresh in my mind which helped when making comparisons. The film was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind and that comes through in both presentations. The Ultra HD presentation bests the 1080p version in every respect. With a discernible increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears noticeably sharper when compared to the 1080p version. Primary colors such red and blue are pleasingly rich while whites appear gradational and punchy. This film is rarely lent to low lit environs and dark cinematography, but when present, those aspects looked great, featuring added depth in the grays, blacks and shadows. It should be noted that eye straining dynamic bright elements are nowhere to found. The film’s use of natural and artificial lighting appears very lifelike.

Comparing the Ultra HD rendering to the Blu-ray, I found them to be levels apart, but not compellingly so. I think that much of this is lent to the innate quality of the film’s elements. Fortunately, the Ultra HD version enhances the positives, making for a gratifying viewing experience.

The multi-channel lossless audio won’t test the limits of your surround sound system but it capably delivers the elements present in this soundtrack. Dialog is tonally rich with excellent room penetration and defining clarity. Dynamics are punchy and bass response is appropriate and provides extension of the main channels that predominantly comes in support of the music. The front channels handled the bulk of the audio and presented a wide two-dimensional soundstage with the surrounds supplying ambience detail that added depth. I thought the mix mated well with the source material and sounded just fine.

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Logan Lucky comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

This is a solid high definition presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are naturally rendered with eye pleasing vitality and warm accents. Fleshtones err on the side of pale but remain lifelike in depiction. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appeared better resolved than others although this appears related to the photography and not the encoding. Contrast is stable and blacks are rich in depth with discernible detail in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any distracting signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was top notch.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Logan Lucky Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Logan Lucky Blu-ray
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Logan Lucky is a fun, prickly and well-executed caper comedy that reaches its audience with an entertaining and edgy plot. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Combo featuring gratifying Ultra HD video, excellent high definition audio/video quality and a disappointing supplemental offering. Logan Lucky easily qualifies as time well spent, and should be at the top of your rental queue on movie night.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
darthray, dnoonie, DeadEd and 1 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 11-27-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-26-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Thanks for the review Ralph. This is one film that the trailer turnd me off to the movie. The reviews were really good, but I decided to wait till see it at home. Seeing your review peaks my interest.

Opposite experience was the retailer for "Lady Bird". It captured the film perfectly....we saw "Lady Bird" last night. Highly recommended. Funny and touching...well acted, written and directed.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by rboster; 11-26-2017 at 11:17 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-26-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
I was going to skip this one.
Now I am intrigue about-it, and more than likely, will pick it up.

Thanks for another great review

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-26-2017, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Cool!

Thanks for the review! In my Netflix queue.

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #5 of 15 Old 11-27-2017, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Ralph,

Thank you for another spot on review. We watched it today and really enjoyed it. The first 20 minutes were rough for me, because I just can't listen to this type of dumb talking that these folks are obviously doing in those areas. But I kept going, because I knew that the movie was good and Soderbergh never disappoints.

Just a side note: When talking about the picture quality you have "The Girl On The Train" in the text, instead of this title.

Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp2 View Post
Ralph,

Thank you for another spot on review. We watched it today and really enjoyed it. The first 20 minutes were rough for me, because I just can't listen to this type of dumb talking that these folks are obviously doing in those areas. But I kept going, because I knew that the movie was good and Soderbergh never disappoints.

Just a side note: When talking about the picture quality you have "The Girl On The Train" in the text, instead of this title.

Cheers

Greetings,

Thanks boguspomp2. I am glad that you enjoyed this one too! Thanks for catching the text error. It reads correctly now..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 15 Old 11-27-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Looking forward to it.

I have actually read it will and should be part of Oscar contention perhaps best movie and acting. I have no idea but will be grabbing it when out.

Rick
post #8 of 15 Old 11-27-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Like Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd chasing each other through a hallway of doors, I found the shenanigans tiresome and preposterous.
After reading Ralph's and other professional reviews I am definitely in the minority.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-28-2017, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Ralph,
Ok, you talked me into it. You have good tastes that often agrees with mine (though I was more forgiving with "Valerian"). I ordered this as I have not regretted any of the Blu-Ray's I've purchased after your reviews. Love Daniel Craig (in a totally non creepy sort of man-crush way). Don't care about the sound but I'm hoping it looks pretty on my new OLED.
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.

--. .-. .- - . ..-. ..- .-.. / -.. . .- -..
Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-28-2017, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
Ralph,
Ok, you talked me into it. You have good tastes that often agrees with mine (though I was more forgiving with "Valerian"). I ordered this as I have not regretted any of the Blu-Ray's I've purchased after your reviews. Love Daniel Craig (in a totally non creepy sort of man-crush way). Don't care about the sound but I'm hoping it looks pretty on my new OLED.
Greetings,

No worries Ed. I think you'll appreciate the video presentation. Daniel Craig's performance is icing on the cake..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2289
Whoever cut the trailer should be fired. This was a fun movie with great acting. Sadly, the trailer made it so unappealing to me that I delayed putting in a request for a review copy. Fortunately the PR department hooked me up and I really enjoyed this one a lot (and so did my wife). Great review Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #12 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Whoever cut the trailer should be fired. This was a fun movie with great acting. Sadly, the trailer made it so unappealing to me that I delayed putting in a request for a review copy. Fortunately the PR department hooked me up and I really enjoyed this one a lot (and so did my wife). Great review Ralph.
Greetings,

Sweet! Glad to hear it Dave..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 15 Old 12-02-2017, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Thanks for the reviews.

I watched it tonight, and concur that it's a pretty good film.

Daniel Craig as "Joe Bang" was particularly noteworthy. I presume that he'll continue to act after completing his final two "James Bond" movies. Our gain.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone else notice stutter around 1:47:21 when Joe Bang is digging up the bag on the UHD, I compared with the AppleTV and Blu Ray versions and it's not present on either. The UHD also appears to jut into the Universal Logo at the start of the film.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I got this as a rental from Netflix. I really enjoyed the movie. I was disappointed with the surround sound in this movie I even had the audio upmixed to Neural:X.

Last edited by powertoburn; 02-08-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page