Interstellar Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #91 of 114 Old 06-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am a huge sci fi fan and rank this movie as one of my all time favorites of this genre. I have the blu ray and still love watching it and have done so about 10 times or so since I picked it up a few years ago. Great movie for Father's Day weekend, I hope everyone gets a chance to put it on. Just love the story, it has a bit of everything in it and the rocket launch scene just rocks the house! It will make you think about time, space travel, distance, gravity, etc. and probably most of all LOVE and what it can do to each and every one of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 Old 06-16-2018, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
Also, the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague blu ray in atmos is spectacular. I must've played the Interstellar score a dozen times lol
gwsat, mrtickleuk and Rengozu like this.
post #93 of 114 Old 06-17-2018, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
I’m in my mid fifties I rather watch something that’s thought provoking and starts conversation than ever seeing another marvel/dc movie!

I found "Arrival" a very satisfying think piece too.

The short story it's based on by Ted Chiang is from a collection of his short stories I enjoyed as well.

I couldn't agree more on the super hero stuff, I don't care who or what or where, I'm so satiated, I'm over all of them.

And when Star Wars #9 is done I'm out. They can continue to milk that cash cow till it's udder falls off, I don't care.
No closure, no interest.

Last edited by FLTWS; 06-18-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 114 Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5830
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Also, the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague blu ray in atmos is spectacular. I must've played the Interstellar score a dozen times lol
The TrueHD Atmos soundtrack on the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague BD has received so many rave reviews it has intrigued me since its release. Thanks to being reminded of its wonders again, thanks for that, I just ordered it from the Kaleidescape store and am downloading it now. It has received nearly unanimous acclaim from the posters to the Atmos thread who have seen and heard it. Am anxious to join their ranks.

I've said before and I'll say again that I think Interstellar is a masterpiece, as are several of Christopher Nolan's other films. [RANT]The high quality of Nolan's work, though, makes me resent even more his refusal to allow the audio on the home releases of his films to remixed with the TrueHD Atmos codec. So far as I know, the only other director who imposes a similar constraint is the 82 year old Woody Allen. Arrrgh![/RANT]
Jive Turkey and Rengozu like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #95 of 114 Old 06-17-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Please post your impressions gwsat!
gwsat likes this.
post #96 of 114 Old 06-17-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Please post your impressions gwsat!
Thanks, I sometimes have trouble expressing my true feelings.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #97 of 114 Old 06-17-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Thanks, I sometimes have trouble expressing my true feelings.
Nah! I hear ya loud and clear. You're a big fan of Blade Runner 2049 too correct?
Between that and Interstellar I've probably watched both more than a dozen times easy
gwsat likes this.
post #98 of 114 Old 06-17-2018, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 282
The Hans Zimmer concert disc is one of my favorite things I've bought this year. Ralph needs to get in on this action and spread the word so more people are aware of it's amazingness. Truly one of the best system showpieces that's not a movie.
gwsat likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #99 of 114 Old 06-17-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
The Hans Zimmer concert disc is one of my favorite things I've bought this year. Ralph needs to get in on this action and spread the word so more people are aware of it's amazingness. Truly one of the best system showpieces that's not a movie.
I'm really looking forward to seeing my TrueHD Atmos quality version of Hans Zimmer Live in Prague later.
subacabra, mrtickleuk and Rengozu like this.

post #100 of 114 Old 06-17-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5079 Post(s)
Liked: 7407
Quote:
I'm really looking forward to seeing my TrueHD Atmos quality version of Hans Zimmer Live in Prague later.
You're in for a treat. btw the disc defaults to non-Atmos. I didn't notice for an hour, so good was even that soundtrack.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #101 of 114 Old 06-17-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
You're in for a treat. btw the disc defaults to non-Atmos. I didn't notice for an hour, so good was even that soundtrack.
I double checked that. I didn't buy the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague disk. Instead I bought and downloaded a digital copy of the disk from the Kaleidescape store. Also, my Yamaha 3060 AVR displays the codec it is playing, in this case TrueHD Atmos.

I wasn't especially familiar with the first several songs of the concert but when the show got to the Gladiator music I was fully engaged. All the music from Christopher Nolan films sounded especially good in TrueHD Atmos, which made my frustration over Nolan's refusal to allow his films to be mixed with the TrueHD Atmos codec even more acute. I loved that the show was wall to wall music for virtually all of its 2 hours 18 minutes runtime. Bottom line: this title was money well spent.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #102 of 114 Old 06-20-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
I double checked that. I didn't buy the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague disk. Instead I bought and downloaded a digital copy of the disk from the Kaleidescape store. Also, my Yamaha 3060 AVR displays the codec it is playing, in this case TrueHD Atmos.

I wasn't especially familiar with the first several songs of the concert but when the show got to the Gladiator music I was fully engaged. All the music from Christopher Nolan films sounded especially good in TrueHD Atmos, which made my frustration over Nolan's refusal to allow his films to be mixed with the TrueHD Atmos codec even more acute. I loved that the show was wall to wall music for virtually all of its 2 hours 18 minutes runtime. Bottom line: this title was money well spent.
Thanks for posting-simi-inappropriately in the interstellar thread. I got the blu ray disc and Han Zimmer Live in Prague is great...especially with vintage Vandersteen mains and five Klipsch surrounds played on an Oppo UDP-203 with a pass through Yamaha 7810 in Atmos.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #103 of 114 Old 06-29-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So I watched the 4K UHD Bluray of Interstellar last night on my OLED LG B8.

I could clearly see how blacks in the some scenes were not as pure as some other UHD titles I own. I'm not a professional TV calibrator, but I've been working with digital images for many years (design, photography, video, etc). My TV is properly set. I have brightness at 50 for HDR, and every auto feature is turned off. Tone mapping was also turned off for this title.

So here's my theory of what is going on.

First let's define that dynamic range in the context imaging is the "distance" between the brightest and the darkest light value. Different mediums can capture different ranges of DR. For example different camera sensors, different films, etc. This is a huge topic in the video and photography world.

We all probably know that Nolan is adamant about using using film when shooting. What most people do not know (outside of the photography world) is that film has a less dynamic range than most modern digital cameras.

Considering this, it should be obvious that film is not capable of producing high dynamic range (or HDR) images.

So if you are transferring some film to HDR what do you do? Well you either decide 1) to not use the full dynamic range of HDR, or 2) you alter the image to "stretch" the dynamic range and fill the complete range of HDR.

My theory is that Nolan went with option 1. He decided to show us the image as close to the film as possible without any alterations. It makes even more sense if you consider how "anti digital" Nolan is about his films. All shot in film, as less CGI as possible, etc. The CGI in interstellar is actually being rendered as if it was captured in film to add more authenticity, with noise and limited DR and all. Everything in Interstellar is designed to have this authentic analog feel (image, audio, production design, etc) even compared to other Nolan films that I've seen in HDR.

So this begs the question: why then does the 1080p Bluray show darker blacks than the HDR version? Well for the simple reason that content has always been altered to fit SDR (standard dynamic range) mediums like 1080p Blurays or DVDs. For example if you look at the 1080p versions of Harry Potter the black crushing is terrible, but the HDR versions are IMO pretty good even if the blacks do not reach absolute 0.

So the next question is: why then some movies shot in film actually have real 0 blacks or much closer than Interstellar? My theory is that either those films were exposed to reach the lower level of the film (analog black crushing) and/or whoever was in charge of the transfer decided to go with method 2 and stretch the DR of film to fill the range of HDR.

Unfortunately this is my first post in the forum so I cannot post any links or images to substantiate my arguments but while my theory could be wrong, the data on DR I've presented is factual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dynamic_range_a.gif
Views:	37
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	2585582  
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #104 of 114 Old 06-30-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5079 Post(s)
Liked: 7407
Great first post and very interesting hypothesis. I think you're onto something there.

I keep reading people saying that Christopher Nolan "hates" digital or is "anti" digital. This isn't really the case; actually he strongly prefers film, and likes film, is an advocate for it and wants film to endure. But there's no "hate" involved. That's something invented by the people on this forum who are upset he hasn't moved over to fully digital, IMHO. We must always remember that he is the artist, and it's his choice how he creates his masterpieces.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 06-30-2019 at 09:43 AM.
post #105 of 114 Old 06-30-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Great first post and very interesting hypothesis. I think you're onto something there.

I keep reading people saying that Christopher Nolan "hates" digital or is "anti" digital. This isn't really the case; actually he strongly prefers film, and likes film, is an advocate for it and wants film to endure. But there's no "hate" involved. That's something invented by the people on this forum who are upset he hasn't moved over to fully digital, IMHO. We must always remember that he is the artist, and it's his choice how he creates his masterpieces.
What Nolan does hate is TrueHD Atmos 7.2.4 audio, so he insists that even the UHD HDR video editions of his films be crippled with DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio. This makes me crazy. It's a shame that the UHD HDR edition of Interstellar, which I regard as a great film, is hobbled with 5.1 audio too. Nolan should have known better but I didn't have a vote. An even more unfortunate example of this failing was Dunkirk, although it won both of the sound Oscars. Aaaargh!

post #106 of 114 Old 06-30-2019, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Thanks.

I agree with you which is why I used quotes. I'm perfectly fine with him using film.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #107 of 114 Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This is one of my favorite movies and was a must buy in UHD. Although I wish there was Atmos, the Bass during the launch scenes is one of my favorites to demo.
Ralph Potts, gwsat and mldardy like this.
post #108 of 114 Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just bought it and it is excellent!! Incredible picture quality. And for those who have the Panasonic UB820 or UB9000 player, activate the HDR Optimizer, there are scenes that look much better with the optimizer activated, in more detail: D
Rgb and Ralph Potts like this.
post #109 of 114 Old 11-04-2019, 06:28 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
Bought a copy of this a while back and finally got around to watching this weekend, but when I put the disc in, it reported a 1080p rec709 blu ray. Figured I just put the blu ray in on accident, but after checking it was the 4k disc. Is this a known issue with this title, or did I somehow just get a bad disc? Never heard of this happening.
post #110 of 114 Old 11-04-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Bought a copy of this a while back and finally got around to watching this weekend, but when I put the disc in, it reported a 1080p rec709 blu ray. Figured I just put the blu ray in on accident, but after checking it was the 4k disc. Is this a known issue with this title, or did I somehow just get a bad disc? Never heard of this happening.
really weird - they batch those discs off in thousands so to get one mislabeled blu-ray basically impossible -
Toe likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #111 of 114 Old 11-04-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Greetings,

This is the first that I have heard of this Todd. Strange..

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #112 of 114 Old 11-08-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've only just begun watching 4k movies on my LG Oled and I recently purchased Interstellar on Amazon's streaming service. Is the picture quality supposed to look slightly grainy?
post #113 of 114 Old 11-08-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo631 View Post
I've only just begun watching 4k movies on my LG Oled and I recently purchased Interstellar on Amazon's streaming service. Is the picture quality supposed to look slightly grainy?
According to Ralph's review (post 1), the movie was shot on film (part 35 mm, part IMAX). Grain is possible, although I don't recall whether I noticed any.
post #114 of 114 Old 11-09-2019, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo631 View Post
as others have said. it was shot on 35mm film, and it looked ever so slightly grainy upon viewing if I remember correctly. Not a whole lot, but you notice it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page