Blade Runner 2049 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 302Likes

post #271 of 285 Old 07-22-2018, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
A friend at work (who is quite intelligent btw) was just complaining that movies should never be longer than 90 minutes. I'll ask him if he's seen such and such movie and he will usually say, "Parts of it" because he gets bored really easily. He'll even walk off while you're still talking because he lost interest a minute before and literally thought you had stopped talking because he isn't listening at all. He'll spend hours reading about growing fruit trees, though (his interest) or talking about food (his other interest along with crazed exercise (like long distance biking or shooting hoops for hours on end that would bore the pants off me.)
Sounds like your friend is CEO material! I have met many like him. I have a super smart BIL (A CEO), at family parties it is very difficult to have a back and forth conversation. He tends to talk then drift off during a response. Works great for his business as he is a multi-millionaire, but thoughtful conversations are not a strong point.

I feel infinite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 285 Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
I mean... this movie did have pacing issues though. I almost consider that as a fact. This movie is very atypical in terms of pacing. Some people may like that pace but just because someone doesn't like it means they're an action movie junky. My favorite movie is Shawshank Redemption and while I mostly enjoyed this movie, I did think it had major pacing issues and would have been a better movie if it hadn't moved at such a slow pace in a few parts.
The consensus seems to be that The Shawshank Redemption is already the finest film ever made. Where were you when Frank Darabont needed you?
Ruppgu likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #273 of 285 Old 05-27-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Anyone getting a lot of distortion in the rear height speakers in opening few minutes –
Just got the uhd – Canadian pressing –
First time I have heard my height speakers do this- (RSLC34E IN-CEILING SPEAKER)
Sounds like being over driven but have watched hundred on films at reference with zero issues –
Plan on watching full uhd soon to see if any other parts do this or maybe I got bad disc

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 285 Old 05-27-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Anyone getting a lot of distortion in the rear height speakers in opening few minutes –

First time I have heard my height speakers do this- (RSLC34E IN-CEILING SPEAKER)

Sounds like being over driven but have watched hundred on films at reference with zero issues –

Plan on watching full uhd soon to see if any other parts do this or maybe I got bad disc
I don't remember any distortion in this movie, but I will check out the opening scene and listen to the rear channels more closely sometime today and let you know. I specifically remember this movie having clean sound throughout, but I could've missed it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #275 of 285 Old 05-27-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape View Post
I don't remember any distortion in this movie, but I will check out the opening scene and listen to the rear channels more closely sometime today and let you know. I specifically remember this movie having clean sound throughout, but I could've missed it.

Just went and listened and everything sounds clean to me. There might be one tiny bit that i noticed when the car (ship?) first flies overhead from behind the viewer, but it was maybe the tiniest crackle and I'm overly sensitive to that stuff. I can't tell if its actually a bad sound or something that just sounds bad when im inches away from the speaker. Is there a certain scene you are thinking of in particular? I only listened up to the point when K gets out of the car.

GPBURNS likes this.
post #276 of 285 Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Sounds like being over driven but have watched hundred on films at reference with zero issues...
Just o you know... Some of the audio effects in this particular movie are exceptionally loud.

By the way... What's the make and model numbers of your surround sound gear?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #277 of 285 Old 05-27-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape View Post
Just went and listened and everything sounds clean to me. There might be one tiny bit that i noticed when the car (ship?) first flies overhead from behind the viewer, but it was maybe the tiniest crackle and I'm overly sensitive to that stuff. I can't tell if its actually a bad sound or something that just sounds bad when im inches away from the speaker. Is there a certain scene you are thinking of in particular? I only listened up to the point when K gets out of the car.

ya - thanks - very sensitive myself and noise/rattles drive me nuts - I will experiment more later and narrow down timestamps where I found it most noticable

post #278 of 285 Old 05-27-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Just o you know... Some of the audio effects in this particular movie are exceptionally loud.

By the way... What's the make and model numbers of your surround sound gear?
Marantz 7705
Likely is my Atmos speakers are out of headroom at reference volume on that track -I can do a rock show with my Seatons speakers but went cheaper on the Atmos -

post #279 of 285 Old 05-27-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Yes definitely main issue - Played around a bit more - they just really over saturated some channels at times and took away head room -
replaying few scenes for few minutes at -5 sounded worlds better - Its not even an overloud mix - some channel just too hot -

post #280 of 285 Old 05-29-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Watched this movie again recently. Love the sound and visuals and most of the story, but the end just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Spoiler!
post #281 of 285 Old 05-29-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4629 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller1181 View Post
Watched this movie again recently. Love the sound and visuals and most of the story, but the end just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Spoiler!

There was room left for a possible sequel, but of course that may not happen now.
emiller1181 likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #282 of 285 Old 05-29-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Wallace was a very underdeveloped bad guy, clearly designed with a sequel in mind, but probably no more so than the original Blade Runner (what happens to them?) And what about the brewing Replicant revolution? I thought this generation "obeyed" ? They're even available without sophisticated brain functions (like robots). Only the pleasure models seem sentient to a higher degree (and oddly those seem to be most of the ones getting ready to rebel). But from whom are they going to rebel against? The human race seems largely 'gone' in this movie. I see more replicants than humans throughout the movie. Very odd when combined with humanity being largely off-planet (I mean who even cares at that point about keeping Replicants off Earth when most humans have left Earth, which was NOT true in the first movie. Plenty were still on Earth and not just the lower class. But here, we have 'slaves' of HUMANS in San Diego! WTF is the point of Replicants if humans are being used as slaves??? The entire movie has a lot of unanswered questions in regards to the original where the Earth didn't seem to be in nearly as bad of shape as this one, especially with the "happy ending" where forests were seen. But even without, there were sunsets (nowhere NEAR as dreary looking). Why was Vegas "red"? Radiation doesn't look like Mars.... If you ask too many questions, it starts to all fall apart.... It's best to take it at face value only, I think.
emiller1181 likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
post #283 of 285 Old 05-29-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Yes definitely main issue - Played around a bit more - they just really over saturated some channels at times and took away head room -
replaying few scenes for few minutes at -5 sounded worlds better - Its not even an overloud mix - some channel just too hot -
I haven't adjusted my subwoofer settings from what Audyssey XT32/SubEq set.

Blade Runner 2049 beats on the subs more than any other movie in my collection. I had a pair of Hsu VTF-1 10" subs (one Mk2, one Mk3) that couldn't handle it. A new pair of VTF-3 Mk5s (15") seem to be up to the task.

If you have suitable hardware, and a desire to break your lease, this movie would be a good choice.

(I live in a detached home with a respectable distance to my neighbors.)
mdsjedi44 likes this.
post #284 of 285 Old 06-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
For anyone interested in buying the (allegedly) superior UK (Sony) release it is available here in a '2 for $30' deal...

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade-r...ductsuggestion

SONY Bravia KD-65XE9005BU 4K UHD tv PANASONIC TX-40CX400B 4K UHD tv SONY UBP-X800 4K HDR Ultra HD player SONY BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player (U.S.)-*new 04/04/2019 SONY BDP-S760 Blu-ray player ES certified- Elevated Standard (UK) SAMSUNG BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player (UK) SAMSUNG HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar
post #285 of 285 Old 06-01-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
For anyone interested in buying the (allegedly) superior UK (Sony) release it is available here in a '2 for $30' deal...

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade-r...ductsuggestion
I have the SONY 3D BD with Auro-3D sound remuxed from Poland. Does that count?

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page