Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Postmoderndesign
  • 1 Post By GekkoSoze
  • 1 Post By Five28
  • 1 Post By Orbitron
  • 1 Post By Dustin Windsor
  • 1 Post By Dustin Windsor

post #1 of 11 Old 02-12-2018, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews season six of this compelling Showtime TV Drama that is loosely based on the Israeli television series Prisoners of War.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2016
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 604 minutes
Genre: TV Thriller/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin, Rupert Friend, F. Murray Abraham, Elizabeth Marvel, Hill Harper
Directed by: Various
Music by: Sean Callery
Written by: Various
Region Code: A

Release Date: February 6, 2018

"New President, New Threat"

My Take:

Taking place several months after the previous season, Carrie Mathison is back in the United States, living in Brooklyn, New York with her young pre-school aged daughter. She is now working at a foundation whose efforts are to provide aid to Muslims living in the United States. Peter Quinn is alive, but has suffered a major stroke, and is incapacitated but seemingly, turned to a junkie. Saul Berenson, and Dar Adal are still CIA operatives, and are dealing with counter-terrorism within the United States. The season features the results of a presidential election of a female candidate, and takes place between election day and inauguration day.

Homeland is loosely based on the Israeli television series “Prisoners of War”, created by Gideon Raff, and is developed for American television by Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa. The series is set to a post 9/11 narrative that is scripted with taut pacing, personal themes and character driven elements where conflict abounds and nothing is a given. Season six continues in that vein as the storyline builds over the course of its 12 episodes and features a variety of enriching subplots that interconnect the main plot points. The subject matter is relevant, the characters are well developed, and the air of mystery, and morally suspect nature of their connection, enriches the proceedings. There are viable plot twists some of which you might see coming, and some you might not, that go hand in hand with the melodrama, and thematic thrills.

I really enjoyed season six. It started off a bit slow but, but picked up a decent head of steam over the last half. I liked the Peter Quinn storyline, and felt that it made for a solid companion, alongside the primary narrative. All in all, the show’s writing continues to compliment the performances of the core cast members headed by Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin, Rupert Friend and newcomer Elizabeth Marvel. They are aptly supported by an excellent ensemble that compliments the show.

Homeland makes for an entertaining, and engaging TV series that will hopefully maintain its edge going into its seventh season which premiered on Showtime yesterday, February 11th. We’ll be watching…

Season six’s 12 episodes are spread over three BD-50 Blu-ray Discs that come housed in a standard amaray style case with slipcover, that contains flip type inserts to hold the discs.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The show contains thematic material, sexual content, violence and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Homeland The Complete Sixth Season comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition video rendering that features well resolved images, defining sharpness and two-dimensional depth. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation, tonal warmth and vibrant textures. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Contrast is well balanced which enriches both light and dark onscreen elements. I saw no signs of video related anomalies or artifacts.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack features crystal clear dialog, gratifying dynamic range and a subtle, yet enriching surround sound mix. I was pleased with its use of spacial dimension and directional cues to create a realistic and occasionally immersive sound field. This worked hand in hand with show’s music, and active sequences to build tension and drive its thematic elements. I thought it sounded quite good.

Bonus Features:
  • ● The Paley Center for Media Q&A with Cast and Creative Team from PaleyFest NY 2016 (BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE)
    ● On Location: New York City
    ● About Season 6

Final Thoughts:

Homeland is an engaging, character driven TV drama that features solid writing that revolves around a post 9/11 narrative that takes audiences on a tautly paced and provocative trip down the rabbit hole. Season six is solid, and proves that the show hasn’t lost its ability to be compelling. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring rewarding high definition video quality, crystal clear lossless sound and a subpar supplemental package. If you’re a fan or are looking for a worthwhile TV series to binge watch on Blu-ray Homeland deserves a look.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 443
This series should have been put out to pasture after Season 2. This most recent season was borderline comedy.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post
This series should have been put out to pasture after Season 2. This most recent season was borderline comedy.
I strongly disagree. Homeland has a lot to say about middle east spy craft through conjecture and dramatization. I find the stories and actors well above the average TV series fare.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Season 4 was a nice surprise but Season 5 was an endurance test. I don't think I can bring myself to watching S6 and S7. Sorry, Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-12-2018, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkoSoze View Post
Season 4 was a nice surprise but Season 5 was an endurance test. I don't think I can bring myself to watching S6 and S7. Sorry, Ralph.

Greetings,

No worries!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2018, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I watched the show until the season where they brought in the female president. I think the writers assumed, wrongly, that the US would have Hillary as president and they wanted to mirror that a bit. The show seemed to make a 180 degree turnaround from being anti-terror to suddenly sympathizing with terrorists. I stopped watching at that point.
Mike Butny likes this.

BenQ W1070 front projector, Definitive Technology BP2002 towers, Def Tech CLR2002 center, Def Tech BP2X surrounds, Def Tech PF15 subwoofer, Denon AVR3300 receiver, Panasonic Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, Roku device, Monoprice HDMI switcher
post #7 of 11 Old 02-12-2018, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 548
A show that holds my attention each and every episode. Always interesting to see an actor evolve and take on a persona so different from how we got to know them.

Jake Weber - 1st time I saw him was as Lt. Hirsch in U-571 back in 2000. Not the gruff affected voice he uses in Homeland or Hell on Wheels.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 68
On episode 4 of season 6, not sure i can watch anymore...It's so painful, what happened to this great show!
Seasons 1-3 were some of the best on TV.
Five28 likes this.

Sony 65 A1E / Yamaha 1050
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / C Centre / 1B 's Front Presence
Martin Logan Motion 10 (Surrounds)
SVS PB 1000
X-box One X / PS4 Pro w PSVR
post #9 of 11 Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Windsor View Post
On episode 4 of season 6, not sure i can watch anymore...It's so painful, what happened to this great show!
Seasons 1-3 were some of the best on TV.
I suggest you read Stephen Kinzer's book. "His book, The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, (President Eisenhower' Secretary of State) and Allen Dulles (President Eisenhower's director of the CIA) , and Their Secret War, delves into the personal beliefs and perspectives of the Dulles brothers and those associated with them. From that he creates a picture of the nature of U.S. foreign policy as shaped by and being embodied by the brothers and the various Presidents and other corporate and political wheeler and dealers they interacted with over a span of fifty years.

I know we all want the US to be in the right but life is more nuanced.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #10 of 11 Old 02-16-2018, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Season gets way better, give it time!
We forced ourselves through Episodes 1-3, end of 4 got interesting. We watched 5,6,7,8,9 all in a row.
We may be hooked! Still the worst season, but it gets better.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony 65 A1E / Yamaha 1050
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / C Centre / 1B 's Front Presence
Martin Logan Motion 10 (Surrounds)
SVS PB 1000
X-box One X / PS4 Pro w PSVR
post #11 of 11 Old 02-16-2018, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Windsor View Post
Season gets way better, give it time!
We forced ourselves through Episodes 1-3, end of 4 got interesting. We watched 5,6,7,8,9 all in a row.
We may be hooked! Still the worst season, but it gets better.

Greetings,

EXACTLY!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page