Thor: Ragnarok Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 108Likes

post #1 of 132 Old 02-23-2018, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
Thor: Ragnarok Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Marvel Cinematic Universe's Thor: Ragnarok continues the big-screen adventures of the Asgardian God of Thunder, as he finds himself imprisoned on the other side of the universe and in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok, the destruction of his homeworld.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Disney/Marvel - 2017
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 130 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos7.1.4/TrueHD 7.1, English/Spanish Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, 1080p Blu-ray: DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Cate Blanchett, Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Jeff Goldblum, Mark Ruffalo, Tessa Thompson, Karl Urban
Directed by: Taika Waititi
Music by: Mark Mothersbaugh
Written by: Eric Pearson, Craig Kyle, Christopher L. Yost
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: March 6, 2018

"Let the Games Begin"

My Take:

Thor: Ragnarok finds Thor (Chris Hemsworth) imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer, and in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok – the destruction of his home world and the end of Asgardian civilization – at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela (Cate Blanchett). But first he must survive a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger – the Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) – and grapple with his silver-tongued adopted brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), the fierce warrior Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) and the eccentric Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum).

I grew up reading Marvel Comics and Thor was my first superhero favorite. This came from reading about his exploits with The Avengers and sporadic episodes of his own comic. I initially tried to keep up with his extended battles/adventures that took place away from Earth, but eventually lost interest. He remained a personal favorite though, and I have enjoyed his transition to the big screen. I am pretty certain that I have seen all of the MCU films in the theater, and Thor: Ragnarok was no exception. I heard mixed reviews from those that had seen it, some loved it, others thought it was overly silly, infusing too much humor. My wife isn’t much into these types of movies, but agreed to check it out with me.

I found the plot, surrounding Hela’s threat, to be decent enough to serve as a foundation for the storyline. Unfortunately, there wasn’t enough meat on that bone to drive its thematic impact. Hela felt like more of an ancillary character, while the primary focus of the film revolved around Thor’s banishing to the Grand Master’s planet, his playful interaction with Hulk, and the typically contentious back and forth with Loki. By the time they return to Asgard to contend with Hela, it’s about 90 minutes into the film, and the outcome feels rushed. In between are a series of misadventures, one or two key elements, and a host or characters, that truly add anything of substance to the underlying context surrounding Thor.

It certainly sounds like I didn’t much care for Thor: Ragnarok, and that is true in part, but, if I am being honest, I did find it entertaining at times. I did feel that the levity/humor was heavy handed, especially, with Thor constantly delivering the winks, nods, and one liners. It was a bit much, stretching the seams of a character that wasn’t much for chuckles in the comics. However, some of it is pretty funny, and certainly, in keeping within the spirit of MCU’s shaping of humor in many of their films. The production elements are top notch, and carry the proceedings quite effectively. Chris Hemsworth continues to do a nice job in the title role, and the return of Thor’s various characters played by Anthony Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston, and Idris Elba, as well as new ones played by the scene stealing Cate Blanchett, Karl Urban, and Tessa Thompson handled their respective duties just fine. There are also a host of cameos, including Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange, but frankly, none add much to the proceedings.

Thor: Ragnarok, like the other recent MCU releases, marches onward toward the coming conflagration “Infinity War”. It’s not among my favorites, but, after revisiting it, I have decided that it has enough going for it that I don’t mind giving it a place in my collection.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 90

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Thor: Ragnarok comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Disney featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless that has an average bitrate of 68 Mbps, and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 5.3 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Thor: Ragnarok was rendered from 4K/6.5K sources and finished on a 2K DI. Thor: Ragnarok is a fantasy/action-based film that is essentially boldly colorful throughout, and this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a noticeable increase in detail and enriched chromatic highlights, the image appears sharper and vibrant when compared to the 1080p version, which is excellent in its own right. Primary colors are pleasingly vivid, while whites appear crisp and gradational. The spectrum of secondary colors is beautifully rendered. Thor’s return to Asgard after the opening sequence provides a glimpse of what it to come, but it’s the arrival on the Grand Master’s planet that shows off the presentation’s wide color gamut. The combination of rich color, sepia, and gradational gray tones look stunning.

I also enjoyed the implementation of HDR. Primarily speaking this isn’t an overtly bright film. The added dimension in blacks, and shadows during the low-level scenes, such as those that take place in Surtur’s realm, the thrown room, or in the Asgardian Keep, where Heimdall hides the people from Hela, is immediately noticeable. The cinematography makes use of shadows, streaming light and a mix of light/dark elements. It’s application here is used very well, drawing upon HDR’s ability to create stark contrast between the two. In the aforementioned sequences, the blend of shadow detail/depth of field offset by the presence of light at varying levels, looked very natural.

The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. At times, the level of minutia is excellent, as even the finest nuance in the physical features, costumes and interior sets is resolvable. The exterior shots, and CGI featured in the film have superb depth which adds an enriching, and eye-catching aesthetic to them.

The difference between viewing Thor: Ragnarok in high definition and Ultra HD isn't eye opening, but there is no question that it benefitted from the increase in resolution, emboldened color and high dynamic range treatment. I thought that this presentation faithfully mimicked the theatrical experience.

Thor: Ragnarok has a very solid 7.1 channel surround mix on Blu-ray, so I wondered if the immersive experience would truly improve upon it. In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics and discrete effects. This is done well, and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events. During the extended chase/escape sequence in chapter 13, followed by the arrival/battle on Asgard, the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field. Audio object placement, from both above, and in the ear level listening plane are put to effective use. The various sounds and atmospherics, in small and large spaces, feel more realistic in terms of their acoustics and size.

The music score is mixed throughout the soundfield adding a notable boost in presence. In comparison, the 7.1 channel mix in noticeably enveloping, but the Atmos mix raises it a notch.

** It should be noted that during the opening sequence in Surtur’s lair, the track appeared to suffer from compressed dynamic range. I checked to see if the DRC circuitry in my A/V processor had been activated/engaged and it had been. I couldn’t say with absolute certainty that something embedded in the Dolby bitstream caused this as I wasn’t able to replicate it. Playing back the same sequence yielded an improvement, but, even so, that particular scene is noticeably lacking in dynamism.

I also noticed this during parts of Thor’s battle with Hulk in the arena. When the two of them run at each other in their final salvo, there is a large release of energy, that just doesn’t have the impact you’d expect. However, later, during the escape, beginning in chapter 13, tactility and dynamics improve. This continues throughout the remainder of the presentation. Lastly, I found that I had to play this track back at roughly 8 – 10db above where I normally listen. YMMV. **

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 92
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:

Thor: Ragnarok comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.8 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Thor: Ragnarok looks great on Blu-ray.

The lossless DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack has solid dynamic range, detail rich clarity, and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is excellent. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the action-based sequences (see below). Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. I enjoyed this audio presentation and thought that it complimented the source material.

** It should be noted that during the opening sequence in Surtur’s lair, the track appeared to suffer from compressed dynamic range. I checked to see if the DRC circuitry in my A/V processor had been activated/engaged and it had been. I couldn’t say with absolute certainty that something embedded in the Dolby bitstream caused this as I wasn’t able to replicate it. Playing back the same sequence yielded an improvement, but, even so, that particular scene is noticeably lacking in dynamism.

I also noticed this during parts of Thor’s battle with Hulk in the arena. When the two of them run at each other in their final salvo, there is a large release of energy, that just doesn’t have the impact you’d expect. However, later, during the escape, beginning in chapter 13, tactility and dynamics improve, providing some solid moments that sound great. This essentially continues throughout the remainder of the presentation. Lastly, I found that I had to play this track back at roughly 8 – 10db above where I normally listen. YMMV. **

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Thor: Ragnarok Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Thor: Ragnarok Blu-ray
    • Director’s Introduction
    • Deleted/Extended Scenes - Deleted Scenes: The Sorcerer Supreme, Skurge Finds Heimdall & Hulk Chases Thor Through Sakaar and Extended Scenes: Thor Meets the Grandmaster, Stupid Avenger vs. Tiny Avenger & Grandmaster and Topaz
    • Gag Reel - Watch a collection of goofs, gaffes and pratfalls starring the cast
    • Exclusive Short/Team Darryl – Fresh off being unseated as the ruler of Sakaar, the Grandmaster makes his way to Earth to start a new life. It’s been over a year since Thor left Australia and Darryl has been struggling to pay his rent. Now Darryl needs a new roommate to help make the monthly payments. Unfortunately for Darryl, the Grandmaster was the only one who answered Darryl’s “Roommate Needed” ad and with no viable options, the Grandmaster moves in.
    • Marvel Studios: The First Ten Years - The Evolution of Heroes – Marvel’s universe is vast and transcends both time and space. We’ll examine the Cinematic Universe as a whole and revisit each of our heroes’ current location and their place in the current MCU timeline, as it all leads up to the one culminating event: “Avengers: Infinity War.”
    • Getting in Touch with Your Inner Thor – “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi has brought his unique sensibility and sense of humor to the film in a great many ways but it is the evolution of Thor’s own sense of humor, which stands out the most in the new film. This piece explores the impact Chris Hemsworth has made on the development of his widely-loved character and celebrates the mighty cast and crew who reveal the fun and hard work that went into assembling Thor’s eccentric counterparts.
    • Unstoppable Women: Hela & Valkyrie – This piece explores the strong female characters in “Thor: Ragnarok,” their importance in the MCU, their incredible casting and their epic comic origins.
    • Finding Korg – A tongue-in-cheek interview with Taika on casting Korg. He describes the difficult search for just the right evolution of the character design, and the nuances of this instantly classic character in the MCU. This conversation will also delve into all the extraordinary visual effects that brought Korg, Sakaar and the worlds of “Thor: Ragnarok” to life.
    • Sakaar: On the Edge of the Known and Unknown – Sakaar is the collection point for all lost and unloved things. This documentary will answer all known and unknown questions while also exploring the hard work and creativity that went into creating the look and feel of Sakaar. From design inspired by Jack Kirby’s classic artwork to the dedication of the visual development team to the awe-inspiring physical and digital production, you will see this distant world come alive.
    • Journey into Mystery – A deep dive story piece with the writers, director and producer Kevin Feige about the inspirations for “Thor: Ragnarok” within the comics. Most notably, the contest of champions limited series where the Grandmaster pitted our favorite heroes against one another as he does in the film. This piece also further explores Thor’s comic book origins and classic arcs through interviews with some of the most important comic creators, such as Walt Simonson and Jack Kirby.
    • 8bit Scenes - Final Bridge Battle + Sakaar Spaceship Battle. Dive into these climactic sequences presented in retro video-game format.
    • Directors Commentary

Digital Exclusives:
    • Evolution of Thor and Hulk’s Bromance – We’ll examine this Super Hero friendship, which has spanned through several Marvel films. From their original Helicarrier fight match to the now iconic Hulk punch from Avengers 1, see how Marvel’s most powerful Super Heroes become the most extraordinary Super Hero buddies.
    • Additional Deleted Scenes – Travel to Asgard & Race To The Wormhole
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Thor: Ragnarok may be viewed by some as being too much of a divergence from the essence of the character, and that may be true, to a point. However, there is something to be found in its off kilter and sometimes overtly facetious narrative. I took it for, and enjoy it, for what it is, which made the experience fun. It comes to Blu-ray in this Cinematic Universe Edition from Disney featuring top notch Ultra HD video, engaging lossless surround sound, including a solid Dolby Atmos immersive listening experience and a fan friendly supplemental package that looks behind the scenes.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *Final Price Drop*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 Old 02-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Thanks for the review Ralph. I watched this in Dolby Cinema, but every time I watch DV in theaters I can't really tell it's in HDR and it always looks better on my tv. The textures of things just don't stick out in HDR at theaters like it does in HDR at home. While I was watching this there were so many memorable scenes and colorful moments that I am looking forward to rewatching at home.
post #3 of 132 Old 02-23-2018, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm excited to rewatch this in DV. I saw it in theaters in 3D and the 3D added nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 132 Old 02-23-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
Enjoy at home, crowd free. Always the best seat. Snacks and drinks are fairly cheap. No sticky floors. No one kicking the seat behind you. Volumes at a level you like. Pause, if washroom break required. Telling someone to stop talking likely NOT to have repercussions. You control the brightness levels. Watch when you want. Start over when you want. Enjoy the movie! It looks like a good one, with several more showing up later this month.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #5 of 132 Old 02-23-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
I’ve got too watch it again. I didn’t like it in the cinemas too be honest I found there was way too much humour injected into it. Guardians of the galaxy does it right with the humour. They don’t over do it. There is humour and there is over the top humour and Thor Ragnarock just did that. Yeah.. yeah it did well at the box office that’s because it was marvel and second the ladies went as well to see Chris Hemsworth. My sister in law wouldn’t see any other marvel unless it had Thor.

You will laugh a few times at first with Thor Raganarock but after it will get old.

But I will still buy it too add to my collection, my son insisted we have it even if it’s not the best .

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #6 of 132 Old 02-23-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I’ve got too watch it again. I didn’t like it in the cinemas too be honest I found there was way too much humour injected into it. Guardians of the galaxy does it right with the humour. They don’t over do it. There is humour and there is over the top humour and Thor Ragnarock just did that. Yeah.. yeah it did well at the box office that’s because it was marvel and second the ladies went as well to see Chris Hemsworth. My sister in law wouldn’t see any other marvel unless it had Thor.

You will laugh a few times at first with Thor Raganarock but after it will get old.

But I will still buy it too add to my collection, my son insisted we have it even if it’s not the best .
My thoughts EXACTLY!
post #7 of 132 Old 02-23-2018, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
This was absolutely a love it or not Marvel film, it was never going to please everyone, but sure to please the heck out of many.
Personally, it was instantly my favorite MCU film yet. I still think Winter Soldier is the best "film" (with Black Panther just a little behind WS), but Thor Ragnorok was instantly my favorite. I want to put this 4k bluray on repeat and just let it play all day in the background while I do housework and stuff. Also, I haven't watched a directors commentary since the Matrix dvd's, but I am absolutely excited for the first time in over 15 years to watch a directors commentary. Plus every bit of extras available. Kudos to Marvel for cramming more extras than we've seen in years.

After 4 films (thor 1 and 2, Avengers 1 and 2), they finally figured out how to do Thor right. I almost gave up on MCU before it started because I didn't believe they could make a good Thor movie, because Thor is stupid. I was impressed that Thor was not as terrible as expected, but each appearance felt like it was missing something. They finally figured out with Ragnorok, the only way to make a good Thor movie is to embrace just how ridiculous Thor and everything around him is and just go with it (instead of trying to be Shakespearean/serious as in the previous appearances). And in doing so, they made it my favorite movie yet, even though I actually typically prefer dark/serious vs silly/fun.

Looking forward also to the colors of this UHD disc and the awesome sound design and music on my home system.
post #8 of 132 Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Commenter View Post
I'm excited to rewatch this in DV. I saw it in theaters in 3D and the 3D added nothing.
Is this coming out in Dolby Vision though?
I know it did in theaters, but everything ive seen for the bluray shows it as only HDR10
post #9 of 132 Old 02-24-2018, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggleFraggle View Post
I know it did in theaters, but everything ive seen for the bluray shows it as only HDR10

expect it on the uhd release, it's already available in Dolby vision on LG uhd oled and super uhd via vudu app
post #10 of 132 Old 02-24-2018, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Thanks again Ralph Potts for another great review. Just seen this on Vudu, so ordered it today, and will spin tonight.
It's a marvel movie and sure to be fun. Have not seen it yet, but as always, going in with an open mind is a good thing.
On another note............Black Panther was awesome!!!!! That is a blind buy for sure.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 132 Old 02-24-2018, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Commenter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggleFraggle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
expect it on the uhd release, it's already available in Dolby vision on LG uhd oled and super uhd via vudu app

This title is HDR-10 ONLY.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 132 Old 02-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 203
What is wrong with Disney/Marvel and the audio mixes on their disks? Age of Ultron, Winter Soldier, Civil War, and now this movie all have gimped flaccid non-erect audio.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360 S with HD DVD drive; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #13 of 132 Old 02-24-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
I think the quality of the review was too high.

I think the video track was a little disappointing. I know it's faux 4k, but the 4k sharpness was really no better than the 1080p sharpness at all. I would never use this to demonstrate 4k, for example. I think some of the scenes on the 1080p version look sharper running it through MadVR's upscaler than the 4k bluray. Bitrate was fine, colors were fine. It looked good. Just didn't look 4k. Sharpness wise, the bluray is just as good as or very close to the UHD in this case, in my opinion.

The other issue is I found the Atmos to be pretty disappointing vs just the DTS-MA track. It's no mad max for sure. Again, the sound was pretty good. But it lacked dynamics in several scenes as stated in the review and certainly would never been in any demos of how Atmos might sound. The tracks don't have any of the dynamics anywhere of say Doctor Strange. While there was a decent ambiance playing back the atmos track, there really wasn't any noticeable overhead sounds - even in the scenes where spaceships come down etc. The receiver's upscale of the 7.1 DTS-MA track sounded about as good to be honest. My guess is that this one wasn't really filmed in native Atmos.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #14 of 132 Old 02-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

X3.
post #15 of 132 Old 02-24-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I think the quality of the review was too high.

I think the video track was a little disappointing. I know it's faux 4k, but the 4k sharpness was really no better than the 1080p sharpness at all. I would never use this to demonstrate 4k, for example. I think some of the scenes on the 1080p version look sharper running it through MadVR's upscaler than the 4k bluray. Bitrate was fine, colors were fine. It looked good. Just didn't look 4k. Sharpness wise, the bluray is just as good as or very close to the UHD in this case, in my opinion.

The other issue is I found the Atmos to be pretty disappointing vs just the DTS-MA track. It's no mad max for sure. Again, the sound was pretty good. But it lacked dynamics in several scenes as stated in the review and certainly would never been in any demos of how Atmos might sound. The tracks don't have any of the dynamics anywhere of say Doctor Strange. While there was a decent ambiance playing back the atmos track, there really wasn't any noticeable overhead sounds - even in the scenes where spaceships come down etc. The receiver's upscale of the 7.1 DTS-MA track sounded about as good to be honest. My guess is that this one wasn't really filmed in native Atmos.
There is no native ATMOS. Sound engineers take the sound feeds and do what they do.
thehun likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #16 of 132 Old 02-24-2018, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
There is no native ATMOS. Sound engineers take the sound feeds and do what they do.
Ok well what there is, is an Atmos app where they position the sound effects in 3D space. I’m saying I don’t think they did that here. This feels more like they just ran it through whatever dolby’s library produces when you run 5.1 sound through their library and get upscale Atmos.
post #17 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I like the movie not the best marvel movie to me but ok. I was hoping for a higher uhd score for sound and video though.
post #18 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Ralph I’m assuming the DTS-HD audio suffered from the same low mix and such as the Dolby track did?

I gotta say, I thunked down a pretty good chunk of change this winter making my HT 4K capable (75” Viz M, Sony X800, Denon X4300) and so far I’m almost wishing I spent the money on something else (like a PC13 ultra). I don’t think I’ve watched one movie where I was just visually stunned. Or that I thought it really looked better than the BD. It seems like this movie is really not much different. What am I missing?
gbaby and Hairsonfire like this.
post #19 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsertedsun View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph. I watched this in Dolby Cinema, but every time I watch DV in theaters I can't really tell it's in HDR and it always looks better on my tv. The textures of things just don't stick out in HDR at theaters like it does in HDR at home. While I was watching this there were so many memorable scenes and colorful moments that I am looking forward to rewatching at home.
I completely agree about DV picture quality in theaters. It looks better than the standard theaters, but no where near the pop you get from an OLED. The audio is the real difference that the Dobly Cinema's provide.
post #20 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
Ralph I’m assuming the DTS-HD audio suffered from the same low mix and such as the Dolby track did?

I gotta say, I thunked down a pretty good chunk of change this winter making my HT 4K capable (75” Viz M, Sony X800, Denon X4300) and so far I’m almost wishing I spent the money on something else (like a PC13 ultra). I don’t think I’ve watched one movie where I was just visually stunned. Or that I thought it really looked better than the BD. It seems like this movie is really not much different. What am I missing?
Greetings,

Correct, the DTS-HD 7.1 MA track had similar variations. I understand your frustration regarding the cost vs. reward. Honestly, there are many times where I am thrilled by what I see, but there are others where the differences aren't starkly appreciable. The thing is, good 1080p, can LOOK really good, with the differences between it, and the format it replaced, essentially being night and day.

With Ultra HD, the differences between it, and good 1080p, aren't always broad enough to be eye opening, at least in terms of resolution. Where I find it to be most rewarding is its ability to deliver high dynamic range imagery that can look very much like real life. YMMV, but that's my .02.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #21 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Thanks for the review Ralph.

Quote:
Dolby Atmos Rating: 90
I'm very surprised how high you rated the Atmos audio, given my own experiences and the many complaints I've heard about this UHD. I think the audio on these Disney films lately has been quite poor.

I agree Blade Runner 2049 and Mad Max Fury Road deserved a 100% score for Atmos mix, they are reference grade. There is no way Thor Ragnarok deserves a 90, that's just rewarding poor behavior by Disney.
lganz316 likes this.
post #22 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

This title is HDR-10 ONLY.
On UHD disc, yes, it's HDR10. On Vudu however it's available in Dolby Vision as well.

Disney clearly cut corners with this UHD, skipping DV on the physical media (WHY?!) and the lame Atmos mix.
post #23 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog8 View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph.

I'm very surprised how high you rated the Atmos audio, given my own experiences and the many complaints I've heard about this UHD. I think the audio on these Disney films lately has been quite poor.

I agree Blade Runner 2049 and Mad Max Fury Road deserved a 100% score for Atmos mix, they are reference grade. There is no way Thor Ragnarok deserves a 90, that's just rewarding poor behavior by Disney.

Greetings,

I am not rewarding Disney, but am providing my opinion on the implementation of the Atmos sound, which isn't just about the use of sound objects placed in the overhead speakers. There are some off kilter issues with the track's dynamic range (which I make reference to), but I have to look at the track as a whole. Thanks for offering your thoughts analog8.

Regards,
tenthplanet, dan4081 and SteveC356 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog8 View Post
On UHD disc, yes, it's HDR10. On Vudu however it's available in Dolby Vision as well.

Disney clearly cut corners with this UHD, skipping DV on the physical media (WHY?!) and the lame Atmos mix.
Greetings,

I am aware of that. My response was regarding a question as to the presence of DV on the disc. If you have a bone to pick with Disney, try reaching out to them. I have already been in touch with the studio regarding my observations.

Regards,
mnc, SteveC356 and lganz316 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #25 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Ralph so just to understand this, you said at the first time you noticed the compression your DR compression setting was turned "On" on the Pre/pro triggered by a metadata in the stream? Assuming that was with the Dolby Atmos track, and the same thing happened with the DTS HD MA on the BD disc? Once you set the DR to "Off" did the same scenes improved? Judging by your comment the first half of the movie was "compromised" regardless of DR setting and it seems it was just an uneven mix like the Avengers:The Age of Ultron was.
lganz316 likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #26 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Ralph so just to understand this, you said at the first time you noticed the compression your DR compression setting was turned "On" on the Pre/pro triggered by a metadata in the stream? Assuming that was with the Dolby Atmos track, and the same thing happened with the DTS HD MA on the BD disc? Once you set the DR to "Off" did the same scenes improved? Judging by your comment the first half of the movie was "compromised" regardless of DR setting and it seems it was just an uneven mix like the Avengers:The Age of Ultron was.

Greetings,

Yes, my initial check revealed that the DRC was set to "Auto" (Atmos track). Not sure why that happened, but, it wasn't repeatable with either track. Listening afterward offered an improvement, but no a substantial one, in those same early scenes. I wouldn't put it in the same class as Age of Ultron, but the characteristics are similar, especially up to chapter 12.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #27 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Yes, my initial check revealed that the DRC was set to "Auto" (Atmos track). Not sure why that happened, but, it wasn't repeatable with either track. Listening afterward offered an improvement, but no a substantial one, in those same early scenes. I wouldn't put it in the same class as Age of Ultron, but the characteristics are similar, especially up to chapter 12.

Regards,
Yup I just played the Dolby THD/Atmos track and yes my decoder showed 'Auto" as well, changed to Off but the scene with the Led Zeppelin track just anemic indeed. I'll watch the rest of the movie later and offer my full assessment of it. Originally saw this on a digital streaming a few weeks back, but I can't remember one way or other how the soundtrack was which normally means nothing stood out good or bad.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #28 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yup I just played the Dolby THD/Atmos track and yes my decoder showed 'Auto" as well, changed to Off but the scene with the Led Zeppelin track just anemic indeed. I'll watch the rest of the movie later and offer my full assessment of it. Originally saw this on a digital streaming a few weeks back, but I can't remember one way or other how the soundtrack was which normally means nothing stood out good or bad.

Greetings,

Thanks for checking on that. Strange indeed. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Regards,
thehun likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #29 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
I don’t think I’ve watched one movie where I was just visually stunned. Or that I thought it really looked better than the BD. It seems like this movie is really not much different. What am I missing?
The problem isn't necessarily you. It's just there's only so much the human eye can see.

Most of these releases are 4k upscales. 2K isn't that much of a difference from 1080p.

Shoot 4k is better than 1080p it is hard for a lot of people to notice. The difference, especially with movies.

Then with this hdr stuff it's causing people to have to mess with tv settings to get things right.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #30 of 132 Old 02-25-2018, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 326
It’d be awesome if they’d come out with some sort of standardization for HDR that allowed you to tailor your TV for it. This movie was one of the ones I was excited for it to come out when I got my TV. But in the interim I’ve watched a few UHDBD’s and lots of regular BDs. One thing for sure is I won’t be rebuying any of my current t collection on 4K like I did when I replaced some of my DVD’s with Blu’s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page