Murder on the Orient Express Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 5887
Murder on the Orient Express Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Everyone’s a suspect when a murder is committed on a lavish train ride, and a brilliant detective must race against time to solve the puzzle before the killer strikes again.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2017
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 114 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/Dolby TrueHD 7.1, English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Kenneth Branash, Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, Michelle Pfeiffer, Judi Dench, Daisy Ridley, Willem DaFoe, Josh Gad, Leslie Odom Jr.
Directed by: Kenneth Branagh
Music by: Patrick Doyle
Written by: Michael Green – Based on the novel by Agatha Christie
Region Code: A

Release Date: February 27, 2018

"Everyone has a past. Everyone has a secret. Everyone is a suspect"

My Take:

In the most timeless of whodunits, Murder on the Orient Express follows renowned detective Hercule Poirot as he attempts to solve what would become one of the most infamous crimes in history. After a shocking murder of a wealthy businessman on the lavish European train barreling its way west in the dead of winter, private detective Poirot must use every tool of his trade to uncover which of the train’s eclectic passengers is the killer, before he or she strikes again.

Based on Agatha Christie’s classic novel, written in 1934, Murder on the Orient Express in the hands of director/co-star Kenneth Branagh and screenwriter Michael Green, ticks most of the right boxes, but favors more of a style over substance feel. The 1974 big screen adaptation resonates deeper, drawing upon its richly drawn characters, taut suspense, and elegant underplay. Having said that, I did enjoy revisiting the plot, unfolding mystery, and the bringing together of an ensemble of actors to portray the story’s characters. The all-star lineup here isn’t quite as stalwart as those from the 1974 film, but I enjoyed them, especially Branagh in the pivotal role of Poirot.

Murder on the Orient Express won’t unseat Sidney Lumet’s classic in the hearts of movie buffs, but, it’s a passable big screen telling that kept me engaged.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence and thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Murder on the Orient Express comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD, Murder on the Orient Express was derived from a mix of high quality sources, and rendered from a 4K DI. With the limited exposure to Ultra HD sourced from 4K Digital Intermediates we are left to judge based upon what we have seen thus far.

Murder on the Orient Express is a period-based film that has a specific visual aesthetic which comes through quite naturally in this Ultra HD rendering. With a discernible increase in detail and depth, the image appears more vivid and lifelike when compared to the 1080p version, which is excellent in its own right. Primary colors such red and blue are pleasingly rich while whites appear gradational and punchy. The film contains a host of sequences that take place in low/limited lighting, and the increased dimension in blacks and shadows is appreciable.

I find the natural rendering of light via its discernible stages and incremental highlights to be one of the presentation's big pluses. This is the case during brightly lit exteriors, in the opening sequence, or later when everyone is standing in the snow near the derailed train. On the flip side, dark elements mixed with bright highlights look terrific. The scene just before the avalanche as the train barrels along the track at night is a good example. As the train steams through the mountain pass, in the dark, its lights set against the moonlit sky and shadowy mountains create a stark contrast that was enhanced by the application of HDR.

The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. At times the level of minutia is excellent, as even the finest nuance in the physical features, period clothing, sets, and props is resolvable. The film incorporates quite a bit of CGI, and the differences in the rendering of effects finished at 2K against the 4K real life imagery was noticeable. Otherwise, I didn’t observe any odd-looking proportions or deleterious softening.

Murder on the Orient Express looks excellent in both 1080p and Ultra HD, however, the Ultra HD rendering is noticeably a cut above.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety, which considering the source material, was a pleasant surprise. Its use of audio objects placed above is comprised of a mix of atmospherics, panning fills and occasional discrete effects. This is done to good effect when implemented and creates an enriching level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. Examples can be found during any of the camera shots featuring the train chugging down the railway. Nearfield sound placement is excellent, providing an involving listening experience. The sequence involving the avalanche is probably the presentation’s best moment. The music is subtly mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements without drawing attention away from the thematic details of what is transpiring onscreen. While this mix doesn’t make constant use of attention grabbing audio object placement, I found myself completely involved when it mattered and found this to be an enjoyable audio presentation that complimented the source material.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element):

Murder on the Orient Express comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps, and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

Murder on the Orient Express looks terrific on Blu-ray and features rewarding high definition video quality that exhibits discerning levels of detail, and excellent rendering that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. The film teeters back and forth between reserved/cooler color schemes and bolder, vivid tonality that represent the storylines accompanying themes.

Where appropriate, colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it empowers whites/grays without washing away detail. Blacks are rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which makes them pop nicely during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack features crystal clear dialog, robust dynamics and on occasion, an engaging surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension, and directional effects, associated with the elements of action. This worked hand in hand with a punchy low end and Patrick Doyle’s music, which underscored the film’s thematic tone. I found this to be an engaging audio presentation that complimented the video, resulting in an involving, and evocative viewing experience that enhanced the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Murder on the Orient Express Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Murder on the Orient Express Blu-ray
    • Agatha Christie: An Intimate Portrait
    • Let’s Talk About Hercule Poirot
    • Unusual Suspects (Part One, Two and Three)
    • The Art of Murder
    • All Aboard: Filming Murder on the Orient Express
    • Music of Murder
    • Deleted Scenes (with and without Commentary by Kenneth Branagh and Michael Green)
    • Director commentary by Kenneth Branagh and Michael Green
    • Theatrical Trailers
    • Gallery
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on Agatha Christie’s classic novel, written in 1934, Murder on the Orient Express in the hands of director/co-star Kenneth Branagh and screenwriter Michael Green, ticks most of the right boxes, but favors more of a style over substance feel, that leaves it somewhat lacking when compared to the 1974 classic based on the same source material. It comes to Blu-ray in the Ultra HD Combo Pack from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring terrific overall video quality, entertaining lossless sound, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a fan friendly supplemental package. While Murder on the Orient Express may not resonate as well as I’d hoped, it’s still worth a visit, if for nothing else, then to check out its top notch presentation.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-28-2018, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Wow, 96 for both Atmos and picture? Certainly unexpected for this type of movie. It was on my rental list but maybe I'll need to upgrade it to my purchase list now. Dang you Ralph
Rengozu and Ralph Potts like this.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-28-2018, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 5887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
Wow, 96 for both Atmos and picture? Certainly unexpected for this type of movie. It was on my rental list but maybe I'll need to upgrade it to my purchase list now. Dang you Ralph

Greetings,

Sorry!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 02-28-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
I haven't seen the Albert Finney Orient Express in many years. I hadn't intended to buy the 2017 version, but your review may cause me to reconsider that.

To wander out far afield: I had the pleasure of seeing the BBC/David Suchet "Poirot" version a few months ago. (It was broadcast in 2010). It was great, even though it was only 90 minutes long. The drama was advanced by Poirot's conflicts, driven by his humanity and his Roman Catholic faith. (I'm not a Catholic, or even a Christian, but I pass for human on a good day.) It was in many ways superior to the original Agatha Christie novel. (Internal moral conflicts weren't her long suit, if memory serves.) It had good production values, but I doubt that it'd bear comparison to a lush-budget Hollywood production.

I mention it for those who are interested in Orient Express for its own sake, rather than in the AV context.
post #5 of 36 Old 02-28-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
Glad it used a 4K DI, since it was shot in 65mm.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/ken...ld-1201859580/
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sanjay
post #6 of 36 Old 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
Had already bought it because I've heard it was a great movie, but also didn't expect to see the scores so high. Now I'm looking even more forward to it tonight!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #7 of 36 Old 02-28-2018, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 2896
I saw this in 70mm, I kind of liked it. Thanks for the review Ralph Will keep an eye on the UHD disc price.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #8 of 36 Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I was really intrigued by this one watching the previews. Seems like a feast for the eyes.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300, Adcom GFA 5006
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut).
PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
post #9 of 36 Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I have not yet seen this version of Murder on the Orient Express but have it on my Netflix list. As Ralph states "Murder on the Orient Express won’t unseat Sidney Lumet’s classic in the hearts of movie buffs" Agatha Christie is the pinnacle of murder mystery writers and Murder on the Orient Express is her masterpiece. Sidney Lumet's version existed only on a poorly produced DVD for many years but there is now a much improved Scandinavian Universal StudioCanal blu ray dts-hd version worth the price. The Sidney Lumet version is the combination of an exceptional director and a group of some of history's best movie stars given permission to ham it up and act their hearts out bringing each character to life in a great script.

I think anyone who likes Kenneth Branaugh's version will enjoy Sidney Lumet's version although some Agatha Christie purists do not like American's taking liberties with Agatha.

The blu ray video is not up to the best 4K hdr standards but still it is very good.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #10 of 36 Old 03-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Just finished watching this and I was impressed. The detail was so great that you could even see every hair on the main character and see where the grey in the hair started and ended. The blacks were inky too.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 36 Old 03-01-2018, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 239
It is a great movie. Saw it in theaters,I wanna pick it up to check it out in UHD but kinda want to wait for a cheap copy. For me its a movie that loses it once you know the ending.
Ralph Potts likes this.

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Klipsch R28Fs, c: Infinity Beta C360 rear: cheapo Sharps
post #12 of 36 Old 03-01-2018, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Well the "74 movie might have better actors and overall better written, but the new one looks much better, the old one has that dated '70s washed out look with pinkish tones and muted colors, could be a bad source or it was shot as such either way the one I have don't look pretty at all. And of course Branagh's mustache is just "super cool" .
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #13 of 36 Old 03-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I think the movie studios need to give Ralph a monthly stipend based on his influence on unexpected purchases...that being said, I really enjoyed this movie and will pick up the 4K version
Ralph Potts and edved1 like this.
post #14 of 36 Old 03-01-2018, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
The tepid reviews and replay value of 2 are enough for me to deem this rental material. I'm sorry, but a film may look and sound fantastic, but when I'm looking through my collection as to which movie I'm going to watch now it's always the ones with a great storyline (and especially love connection) that wins over all other factors. I have too many turds that look and sound great but I just don't want to watch ever again. I've learned my lesson. Thanks for the review, Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #15 of 36 Old 03-02-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 995
I planned to pick this one up as I heard its a good remake. I was pleasantly surprised to read your audio and video ratings!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #16 of 36 Old 03-03-2018, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
My wife who is an Agathie Christie fan, actually reads the books imagine that, much prefers the 74 version. Says Branagh tried a little too hard with his accent and maybe Depp was miscast.

Still a good watch.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #17 of 36 Old 03-03-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
My wife who is an Agathie Christie fan, actually reads the books imagine that, much prefers the 74 version. Says Branagh tried a little too hard with his accent and maybe Depp was miscast.

Still a good watch.
I agree with your wife and recommend everyone get this blu-ray version of the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ralph Potts likes this.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #18 of 36 Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched it tonight.

I think that the screenplay jazzed up the story line a little too much. Poirot at times came across as almost an action hero, which is just wrong. Michelle Pfeiffer was very good, though. Her character's age was close to her actual one, and that's the way that she was filmed.
Some of the views were as beautiful as anything I've ever seen in HDR. The blending of CGI with reality was well done.

Thanks again to Ralph for the review. I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #19 of 36 Old 03-04-2018, 07:06 AM

We watched the 74 version last night. How surprising right?

It'd be great if they could merge these two movies. Ingrid Bergman is superb in the 74 version. And its a small role. She opted for that much smaller role. And she nails it. Little movements with her mouth, the way she looks at Poirot, etc. John Gielgud expresses his contempt for the bad guy so much more clearly than the guy from Caligula. I wanted to take a Valium for Anthony Perkins.

Finney's Poirot was a little too weird though. I know he's odd but Finney maybe went a little too far on the "odd" as Branagh did on the accent?

Pfieffer probably a bit better than Bacall? Bacall seems to have this "I don't need to work too hard here, after all I'm Lauren Bacall" thing going on. The exact opposite of Bergman who by this time was just as much a player in Hollywood as Bacall.

Sergei Polunin vs. Michael York tough call. Some of 74 version is all about it being the 70's. Like the interracial relationship might be all about our time? Its good they picked some relatively unknowns for the recent release. You get a much better feeling of Polunin protecting the young woman from what has unfolded from the kidnapping and murder of the child in the new release.

York kinda comes off like a gay guy who is pretending to be heterosexual to avoid issues with his sexual preference not so much protecting a person he loves.

Good exercise and entertaining to watch both back to back however.

For me Finney's Big Fish was so good I keep hearing/seeing him in Big Fish when he talks in the 74 version of Orient.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #20 of 36 Old 03-04-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The only thing better about this movie than the 74 version was Kenneth Brannagh's "mustaches." In an interview I heard on NPR he talked about how Agatha Christie always referred to Poirot's mustaches not mustache. So, he decided he had to do something to make it look like there were two mustaches not one. On the other hand, Mr. Brannagh does not in any way meet any other physical description of Hercule Poirot from the books.

SMK
post #21 of 36 Old 03-04-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
We watched the 74 version last night. How surprising right?

It'd be great if they could merge these two movies. Ingrid Bergman is superb in the 74 version. And its a small role. She opted for that much smaller role. And she nails it. Little movements with her mouth, the way she looks at Poirot, etc. John Gielgud expresses his contempt for the bad guy so much more clearly than the guy from Caligula. I wanted to take a Valium for Anthony Perkins.

Finney's Poirot was a little too weird though. I know he's odd but Finney maybe went a little too far on the "odd" as Branagh did on the accent?

Pfieffer probably a bit better than Bacall? Bacall seems to have this "I don't need to work too hard here, after all I'm Lauren Bacall" thing going on. The exact opposite of Bergman who by this time was just as much a player in Hollywood as Bacall.

Sergei Polunin vs. Michael York tough call. Some of 74 version is all about it being the 70's. Like the interracial relationship might be all about our time? Its good they picked some relatively unknowns for the recent release. You get a much better feeling of Polunin protecting the young woman from what has unfolded from the kidnapping and murder of the child in the new release.

York kinda comes off like a gay guy who is pretending to be heterosexual to avoid issues with his sexual preference not so much protecting a person he loves.

Good exercise and entertaining to watch both back to back however.

For me Finney's Big Fish was so good I keep hearing/seeing him in Big Fish when he talks in the 74 version of Orient.
I appreciated your comparison of the 1974 and the 2017 Murder on the Orient Express. I have yet to see the 2017 version which is scored in the low 50's by Metacritic.com.

On the 1974 version:

I agree with you that Ingrid Bergman and John Gielgud were remarkable character actors

Agatha Christie was a very private person. However, she included many vital to the story gay and bisexual characters usually portrayed in a positive light. Michael York appeared in Cabaret playing Christopher Isherwood. I find his character in Murder on the Orient Express to be that of a volatile Hungarian husband who dresses flamboyantly. His sexuality can be interpreted as ambiguous. Anthony Perkins came out and later died of AIDS. In Evil Under the Sun, Roddy McDowell plays a flamboyant queen.

By 1930, Agatha Christie found Poirot "insufferable", and by 1960 she felt that he was a "detestable, bombastic, tiresome, ego-centric little creep". Yet the public loved him and Christie refused to kill him off, claiming that it was her duty to produce what the public liked. So, I would say Finney hit the mark with Poirot.

I regretted that you did not mention Wendy Hiller's portrayal Princess Dragomiroff which I find to be striking and humorous. "My doc-tor has ad-vised me never to smile"

Sean Connery could not have been more masculine, as usual.

I love Lauren Bacall, from her noir role in The Big Sleep to a mature pushy woman in Murder on the Orient Express.

post #22 of 36 Old 03-04-2018, 02:09 PM

You missed my point. The character’s primary purpose in life was to protect his wife. Clearly accomplished in the new one. In the 74 one not so much.
post #23 of 36 Old 03-04-2018, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Got it. Will likely watch it again, maybe a couple of times. The resolution/story is what it is, and I'd think like many stories, especially "murder mysteries," something can go out of it after the first watch. That said, if I like something, I'll watch it over and over. Maybe this will take a couple of views to decide. Like Poirot being somewhere on the annoying but needs to be tolerated or too insufferable to watch spectrum. There's some humor to the character but one wonders if in real life, that sort of person would actually be successful.

But there seemed to be a couple of things that struck me "wrong."Not necessarily completely story relevant but a bit jarring. Not sure if mistakes or expediencies. (I'd want to see the book and/or other versions to see if they are from this version or from the story. Also I tend to be wonky about the places, politics, trains, etc., as opposed to video/audio quality, etc.) I've got the Samsung UBD-KMC so moving back and forth to replay things isn't real easy.

Like Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, this movie has some value in seeing social/political issues as they were at the time, and as they've played forward.
post #24 of 36 Old 03-06-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 755
After a quirky and fun opening that had nothing to do with the original book, MOTOE becomes slow and just uninteresting. A train being stuck in snow is an apt metaphor for how you'll spend your two hours watching this movie.

Looky here!
post #25 of 36 Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 409
My wife loves the book so she had to have this movie. I picked up the 4K with reservations based on the reviews (hadn't seen Ralph's review yet!)

I have to say, after sitting down with the Mrs. and watching this.. I really enjoyed it! I was certainly impressed with the image quality. Face and clothing details were razor sharp and the colors had plenty of pop. I was too engrossed in the story to notice the CGI issues on my first viewing.

Definitely plan to watch it again.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #26 of 36 Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
The only thing better about this movie than the 74 version was Kenneth Brannagh's "mustaches." In an interview I heard on NPR he talked about how Agatha Christie always referred to Poirot's mustaches not mustache. So, he decided he had to do something to make it look like there were two mustaches not one. On the other hand, Mr. Brannagh does not in any way meet any other physical description of Hercule Poirot from the books.

SMK
I dunno. To me, the "mustaches" looked like carefully trained nose hair.

(Apologies to Don Martin of Mad Magazine.)
post #27 of 36 Old 03-06-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 2997
I was able to get through this alright, but the almost total reliance on CGI kind of put me off. It was pretty obvious.
post #28 of 36 Old 03-06-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I regretted that you did not mention Wendy Hiller's portrayal Princess Dragomiroff which I find to be striking and humorous. "My doc-tor has ad-vised me never to smile"....
Perfect.

SMK
post #29 of 36 Old 03-11-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched the 1974 version yesterday. (DVD, sadly. Fortunately, it was 16:9.)

Albert Finney's performance wasn't quite as stiff as I remembered. Lauren Bacall and Wendy Hiller were very good.

The end of the film was quite upbeat, as if Poirot approved of what had been done. I haven't read the Christie novel in decades, but the tone may have been consistent: I think that Christie was more into puzzle pieces than moral struggles.

I'll have to get the Suchet version for a fresh comparison. I think that it was much more dramatic. Much more human.
post #30 of 36 Old 03-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
I couldn't get into it, i tried. I made it about half way before turning it off

Sony 65 A1E / Yamaha 1050
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / C Centre / 1B 's Front Presence
Martin Logan Motion 10 (Surrounds)
SVS PB 1000
X-box One X / PS4 Pro w PSVR
Sponsored Links