Justice League Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #61 of 117 Old 03-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
Charles,

I will check the DTS-HD MA track the next time I watch the disc; I watched it for the first time last night running the TrueHD core mix...
I notice it only while playing the 4K disc. Let me know if I’m the only one lol I even went to a different Best Buy and swapped my disc out and still got the same issue. Granted the Atmos sounds better anyways, I just thought it was a little strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 117 Old 03-15-2018, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Thought this movie looked really sharp. Great color too. Loved the full screen format.
audiofan1 likes this.

Spoiler!
post #63 of 117 Old 03-16-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4640 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Just watched this one and the atmos sound track on Justice League is really well done with a lot of height benefit.
audiofan1 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 117 Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My ATMOS would start playing then it would change to DTS-HD + Neural X. I can play any other movie and ATMOS would play fine. I could not get it to play ATMOS no matter what I did.

Movie Room: Sony 75" Z9D, Oppo 203, Denon X7200WA, SVS PB 2000, DefTech Di8R (4 ceiling), DefTech SM 55 (2), DefTech CS 8060, DefTech PM 1000 (4). Living room: Samsung JS8500, Samsung K8500
post #65 of 117 Old 03-16-2018, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0424 View Post
I notice it only while playing the 4K disc. Let me know if I’m the only one lol I even went to a different Best Buy and swapped my disc out and still got the same issue. Granted the Atmos sounds better anyways, I just thought it was a little strange.
Oh, okay; I will let you know if the issue you report is on the Blu-ray's DTS-HD MA mix, as well.

I agree that Atmos/TrueHD tracks always sound better than DTS-flavored ones (at least on the 1080p/4K formats).
post #66 of 117 Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Thought this movie looked really sharp. Great color too. Loved the full screen format.
How are things in Reno? I'm in Henderson!

I agree about the 1.85:1 "screen filling" format -- especially when you're running HDTVs (like we are) not projectors.
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #67 of 117 Old 03-17-2018, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I watched the 4K BD last night and I enjoyed it a lot. It was good, but not great. Picture quality was great & sound is better than the Marvel films for some reason. My favorites are

1. Wonder Woman
2. Man Of Steel
3. Justice League
4 Batman Vs Superman
5. Suicide Squad

I can’t wait till phase 2 starts. A solo Batman film would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #68 of 117 Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
I watched the 4K BD last night and I enjoyed it a lot. It was good, but not great. Picture quality was great & sound is better than the Marvel films for some reason. My favorites are

1. Wonder Woman
2. Man Of Steel
3. Justice League
4 Batman Vs Superman
5. Suicide Squad

I can’t wait till phase 2 starts. A solo Batman film would be great.

There was already a standalone Batman film in the works -- called The Batman -- but there are rumors that Affleck may not play the role again, so who knows what's going on.

As for the sound being better than the Marvel films, this is true -- ALL the DC-sanctioned releases of the "new generation universe" (Man of Steel, Dawn of Justice, Wonder Woman et al) have much more aggressive, punchy, dynamic mixes than Avengers, Captain America, Thor et al and their DTS-HD MA tracks (the Warner films have been mostly given Atmos/TrueHD audio, save for Man of Steel which received a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix). In my system, as well, all the DC films stand head and shoulders above the Marvel-sanctioned releases in terms of audio quality. No doubt.
superaaaa likes this.

Last edited by Osage_Winter; 03-17-2018 at 12:39 PM.
post #69 of 117 Old 03-17-2018, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
There was already a standalone Batman film in the works -- called The Batman -- but there are rumors that Affleck may not play the role again, so who knows what's going on.

As for the sound being better than the Marvel films, this is true -- ALL the DC-sanctioned releases of the "new generation universe" (Man of Steel, Dawn of Justice, Wonder Woman et al) have much more aggressive, punchy, dynamic mixes than Avengers, Captain America, Thor et al and their DTS-HD MA tracks (the Warner films have been mostly given Atmos/TrueHD audio, save for Man of Steel which received a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix). In my system, as well, all the DC films stand head and shoulders above the Marvel-sanctioned releases in terms of audio quality. No doubt.
Following MCU films have demo worthy sound:

1. Iron Man (Paramount)
2. Iron Man 2 (Paramount)
3. Captain America The Winter Soldier
4. Doctor Strange
5. Thor Dark World
6. Ant-Man
7. Thor (honourable mention)
8. The Incredible Hulk (Universal)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
post #70 of 117 Old 03-18-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
I admit it. I actually enjoyed Justice League. Ralph, I agree with your preference for Dolby Vision. I have a Sony X800 UHD player. It's a great HDR unit but it now appears that Sony will never add Dolby Vision to it. I just watched Jessica Jones on Netflix in HDR on my Roku and the X800 and in DV directly from my LG C7 OLED TV. DV was clearly better, It was brighter and seemed to have more "oomph" than HDR. Because more and more movies will be coming out with both HDR-10 and DV formats, I decided to take the plunge and spring for an Oppo-203 player (fantastic piece of equipment worth the cost). I watched parts of Justice League on both units and the DV version just looked better than the HDR version, mostly in subtle ways but noticeable, especially overall brightness.
post #71 of 117 Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lganz316 View Post
Following MCU films have demo worthy sound:

1. Iron Man (Paramount)
2. Iron Man 2 (Paramount)
Agreed, to a point; yes, the first film's TrueHD track and the second's DTS-HD MA were effective.

Quote:
3. Captain America The Winter Soldier
Disagree.

Quote:
4. Doctor Strange
Didn't see.

Quote:
5. Thor Dark World
Disagree. And I also didn't care for the audio on the first film (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Quote:
6. Ant-Man
Unfortunately missed it.

Quote:
7. Thor (honourable mention)
Disagree.

Quote:
8. The Incredible Hulk (Universal)
I'll give you that one, yes.

Still, NONE of these compare to the Atmos/TrueHD tracks that have been coming from the current DCU films via Warner.
post #72 of 117 Old 03-18-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 2798
Hi Ralph

I'm back up and ruining after some system down time and put Batman vs Superman(4k,Atmos), Man of Steel (4k,Atmos) and Justice League (4k,Atmos) on my first viewing list. Having all fresh in memory over the last two weeks and can say the overall story line and arc have me extremely excited to see this come to its climax, the subtle hints throughout are there and if one knows this overall arc as it pertains to the Justice League its far from confusing as many elude too. I found the HDR to have better color than MoS and BvS which along with the 1:85 aspect ratio to be very enveloping. The Atmos mix delivered well place objects,pans and just great immersion, there was also enough low end grunt and weight to satisfy and more than locked onto the room. In the end I'm very happy with the movie and it finds it place in my collection and will get many more viewings

Thanks for the review!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #73 of 117 Old 03-18-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
along with the 1:85 aspect ratio to be very enveloping.
I agree regarding the 1.85 presentation being enveloping; I wish all home releases were in this HDTV-friendly format.
PSBMAN and audiofan1 like this.
post #74 of 117 Old 03-18-2018, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 5735
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Hi Ralph

I'm back up and ruining after some system down time and put Batman vs Superman(4k,Atmos), Man of Steel (4k,Atmos) and Justice League (4k,Atmos) on my first viewing list. Having all fresh in memory over the last two weeks and can say the overall story line and arc have me extremely excited to see this come to its climax, the subtle hints throughout are there and if one knows this overall arc as it pertains to the Justice League its far from confusing as many elude too. I found the HDR to have better color than MoS and BvS which along with the 1:85 aspect ratio to be very enveloping. The Atmos mix delivered well place objects,pans and just great immersion, there was also enough low end grunt and weight to satisfy and more than locked onto the room. In the end I'm very happy with the movie and it finds it place in my collection and will get many more viewings

Thanks for the review!
Greetings,

Hey Jeff! Glad to see you're up and running (enjoying that new 8805 I'm sure). Good to hear from you and I am happy that you enjoyed JL! Thanks for taking the time and offer your thoughts/impressions.

Don't be a stranger.

Regards,
audiofan1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #75 of 117 Old 03-18-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Hey Jeff! Glad to see you're up and running (enjoying that new 8805 I'm sure). Good to hear from you and I am happy that you enjoyed JL! Thanks for taking the time and offer your thoughts/impressions.

Don't be a stranger.

Regards,
I armed myself with more 4k disk due to the wait on the 8805 than I should've I'be around for sure
post #76 of 117 Old 03-18-2018, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

I agree about the 1.85:1 "screen filling" format -- especially when you're running HDTVs (like we are) not projectors.
Superhero movies where there's lots of jumping and flying around benefit from more vertical screen real estate, definitely.

I used to be a huge CinemaScope fan until I realized, I don't actually like sacrificing vertical for horizontal, most of the time. The best thing about projectors is that no matter what your preferences, you can get the biggest image possible for the smallest price.

I actually really liked this movie, it was fun and had some laugh out loud moments like when the Flash was surprised by Superman being able to track him visually, although the villain was very mediocre and I thought the graphics on him were terrible. Like not just bad, awful. Really out of place compared to the norm for Blockbusters in 2018.
post #77 of 117 Old 03-18-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
Superhero movies where there's lots of jumping and flying around benefit from more vertical screen real estate, definitely.

I used to be a huge CinemaScope fan until I realized, I don't actually like sacrificing vertical for horizontal, most of the time. The best thing about projectors is that no matter what your preferences, you can get the biggest image possible for the smallest price.

I actually really liked this movie, it was fun and had some laugh out loud moments like when the Flash was surprised by Superman being able to track him visually, although the villain was very mediocre and I thought the graphics on him were terrible. Like not just bad, awful. Really out of place compared to the norm for Blockbusters in 2018.
Couldn't agree more on just about everything you said, Axe -- especially the graphics part of your statement. I've been saying this since I revisited the film on Blu-ray last Wednesday -- Steppenwolf came across as an oddly-moving video game character of some kind, the CGI was so cheap-looking in his scenes...most of the other effects work looks like it was pieced together on the fly, as well, such as the sequence when the Amazonians are attempting to keep the Mother Box away from Steppenwolf on their horses and even Superman's resurrection. Don't forget, Snyder had to leave production duties because of his daughter's untimely and horribly unfortunate suicide, and Warner Bros. brought Joss Whedon in to complete the film in certain places, so I'm sure this added to the kind of "haphazard" feel some of the moments exhibited (the strange attempt at humor from certain characters, such as when Aquaman goes "He's not right!" during Clark's resurrection and when Bruce goes "Yeah...something is definitely bleeding..." after Clark throws him to the ground in that scene...I feel like this could have been "darker," but, hey, I'm also a fan who feels that entire resurrection sequence wasn't handled right). I agree with you that there WAS some good humor here and there (the brilliant choice to show Clark and Barry racing each other was one, as well as many of Barry's replies throughout) but I also think there were "forced" moments of humor (probably Whedon's decision, as he did the same in the first two Avengers) that didn't work and were annoying.
BattleAxeVR likes this.

Last edited by Osage_Winter; 03-18-2018 at 04:00 PM.
post #78 of 117 Old 03-18-2018, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Lol. Doing alright. Just representing Sony for Northern Nevada.

Spoiler!
post #79 of 117 Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Justice League Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Hmmm, the movie was not bad, not great but decent.
My 3 kids ages 12/14/16 totally liked it, heck my wife did also.

Won’t talk spoilers here.

Heck the Atmos sound mix was pretty good actually, with very appropriate usage of LFE, better that Thor Ragnarock IMO.

I bought the UHDBR, need to look at deleted scenes on BR .
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #80 of 117 Old 03-19-2018, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 73
We watched Justice League last night and it was pretty good. The story seems like it could be more coherent at times, but if you're looking for a great looking/sounding flick that has decent entertainment value - Justice League fits the bill. Looking forward to see what they do with this (and the League of Doom) going forward, lots of potential.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony XBR75x940D, Denon X4400H, Monolith 5X, PSA S3000i, Axiom M100s, VP180, QS8s, Klipsh R12SW, Polk MC60s, Sony UBP-X800, PS4 Pro
post #81 of 117 Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Lol. Doing alright. Just representing Sony for Northern Nevada.
No kiddin', huh? Can you get me a deal on a new 4K set?
post #82 of 117 Old 03-19-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Heck the Atmos sound mix was pretty good actually, with very appropriate usage of LFE, better that Thor Ragnarock IMO.
Of course it was; we're talking about Disney/Marvel (with regard to Thor).
post #83 of 117 Old 03-19-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My ATMOS would start playing then it would change to DTS-HD + Neural X. I can play any other movie and ATMOS would play fine. I could not get it to play ATMOS no matter what I did.
You may have tried this, but you have to enable Dolby Atmos audio in the disk's menu. It took me a few minutes to figure out.
Airborneguy likes this.

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4
Denon x6200
Ascend Acoustics Towers and Horizon Center (NrT)
RSL 34CE in-ceilings (4)
Rythmik E15HP
post #84 of 117 Old 03-19-2018, 10:27 AM

Gonna rewatch the film tonight but run the DTS-HD Master Audio track to see if there's a sonic difference between it and the core TrueHD mix...

Wonder why Warner gave this title two lossless tracks when that real estate could have been better used to let the video bitrate breathe easier (especially considering there isn't a second platter of extras)...
post #85 of 117 Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
i guess I was one of the few who liked BvS, and really liked Man of Steel
Haven't seen JL yet, but with all the bad press, i'll wait for the UHD to be discounted before I buy it

the Flashpoint-based upcoming Flash movie has been intrigued, and I really like Wonder Woman, so i'll watch the sequel. I could care less about Aquaman, and it sounds like no more Bat-fleck except in any future ensemble DCU movies
post #86 of 117 Old 03-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
i guess I was one of the few who liked BvS, and really liked Man of Steel
I liked them too, despite a myriad of issues.
post #87 of 117 Old 03-20-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 331
The movie was dumb. But, it wasn't as dumb and devoid of enjoyment as B vs S. It is VERY forced for sure. The alleged plot is contrived and paper thin. But, I didn't actually dislike it. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Although, I have to admit I don't watch these from the mythos of the comics. So, I'm not so much tied up in what they got wrong/right from whichever comic version. It's surprising after they got so close to a good movie with WW, that they couldn't pull their heads out and make this an actual good movie though. I even enjoyed Man of Steel. Not that it was a great movie, but it was also not terrible in the way most DC movies are. And yet, like a lemming I show up for the next one. I'm either an eternal optimist or masochist. Not sure which.

To me the worst part of the movie BY FAR..
Spoiler!
Osage_Winter likes this.

Last edited by JMCecil; 03-20-2018 at 09:21 AM.
post #88 of 117 Old 03-20-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0424 View Post
Charles,

Rewatched the Blu-ray last night running the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track and didn't really notice the issue you described with Superman in the beginning (unless it just totally went right past me); are you still experiencing it?

On a side note about the audio...I found, as did the review, that the DTS-HD MA mix was a TAD less impactful and dynamic than the Atmos/TrueHD track, but not monumentally so; as usual, the DTS track was a bit lower in overall mastering output, yet there were still moments that shook my room with impactful LFE, so I'd say there indeed is nothing wrong with either mix. I'm running a 5.1 speaker setup, so you'd think I'd always prefer 5.1 tracks over 7.1 or other extended surround soundtracks, yet in my system I ALWAYS prefer the sound of Dolby's TrueHD codec on Blu-rays.
post #89 of 117 Old 03-24-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I watched this movie with the family at the theaters during openning weekend. It is a fairly enterteining popcorn flick.
The Marvel movies are much better.

I just watched the uhd bd in my HT and it is quite good.
It has some demo worthy scenes. Bass is ok but it could of been better.
Btw. The aspect ratio is 1:85:1 and not 2:39:1 as mentioned in the review.

Great review as always Ralph!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #90 of 117 Old 03-25-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
Btw. The aspect ratio is 1:85:1 and not 2:39:1 as mentioned in the review.
I thought that was wrong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page