All the Money in the World Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Postmoderndesign

post #1 of 8 Old 04-02-2018, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
All the Money in the World Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this fact-based drama that tells the story of the kidnapping of 16-year-old John Paul Getty, and the desperate attempt by his devoted mother to convince his billionaire grandfather, Jean Paul Getty, to the pay the ransom.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2017
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 133 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Christopher Plummer, Michelle Williams, Mark Wahlberg
Directed by: Ridley Scott
Music by: Daniel Pemberton
Written by: David Scarpa
Region Code: A,B

Release Date: April 10, 2018

"Inspired by True Events"

My Take:

All the Money in the World follows the kidnapping of 16-year-old John Paul Getty III (Charlie Plummer) and the desperate attempt by his devoted mother Gail (Michelle Williams) to convince his billionaire grandfather (Christopher Plummer) to pay the ransom. When Getty Sr. refuses, Gail attempts to sway him as her son’s captors become increasingly volatile and brutal. With her son’s life in the balance, Gail and Getty’s advisor (Mark Wahlberg) become unlikely allies in the race against time that ultimately reveals the true and lasting value of love over money.

Despite being a youngster when John Paul Getty III was kidnapped, I recall seeing it in the news at the time. All the Money in the World is a docudrama that draws its narrative from the events and people surrounding the abduction, while depicting the behind the scenes goings on between Getty’s mother/grandfather, the ex-government agent employed by, and assigned to facilitate his return, by his grandfather, and a snapshot of the treatment endured by Getty during his captors. The film paints an unappealing portrait of J.P. Getty, a man who, at the time, was of seemingly unsurmountable wealth, but, clearly not willing to part with his money in order to secure the safe return of his grandson. This is where the crux of the film’s plot resides.

All the Money in the World is a bit of a slow burn that ends better than it starts, which is a good thing, given its genre. By far the most interesting, and ultimately, well played character, is old man Getty, played superbly by screen veteran, and Academy Award nominee, Christopher Plummer. Plummer, who stepped in at the last minute, to replace Kevin Spacey, portrayed the miserly, and contemptuous, J.P. Getty, to the hilt. As a thriller, the film doesn’t truly embody the elements necessary to keep suspense at a pulse raising level. The character of Gail wasn’t drawn nearly deep enough to be a significant factor within the film’s dramatic construct, but, Michelle Williams did the best with what she had to work with I suppose. I really enjoyed the last hour, finding myself completely caught up in the back and forth which would inevitably determine whether John Paul Getty III would be reunited with his mother.

All the Money in the World is a slightly overlong, but, effectually entertaining fact-based drama, that gets a bit more mileage due to the strong performance by Oscar nominee Christopher Plummer.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, some violence, disturbing images, and brief drug content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): [img] [/img]

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

All the Money in the World comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This high definition video presentation looks solid and features a distinctive visual aesthetic that utilizes a reserved chromatic palette which makes use of sepia tones and muted primaries. This provides the period style look the filmmakers were striving for. Certain sequences/elements make bolder use of color with noticeably deeper saturation. Contrast and brightness are well balanced which results in distortion free and satisfying image quality. Blacks appear deep and punchy, with delineation in low level scenes ranging from excellent to very good. Flesh tones are a bit on the bland side but retain enough complexional variety to avoid appearing lifeless. Close ups offer appreciable texture and refinement. I didn’t notice any signs of compression or video related artifacts.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound keeps pace with the video and is quite good. Dynamics are robust and highs are crisp without being strident or edgy. Dialog is rendered with defining tonal expression and room penetrating depth through the center channel. The front soundstage is diffused with excellent separation and clearly articulated detail. The presentation makes ample use of the entire surround platform. At times it opens up quite nicely to create an involving surround mix containing a mix of directional and ambient sounds. Bass response doesn’t reach subterranean levels however it appropriately supports the source elements and provides an appreciably tight, and punchy low end.

Bonus Features:
  • 8 Deleted Scenes
  • “Ridley Scott: Crafting a Historical Thriller” - Director Ridley Scott and the cast and crew discuss the fast-paced and exciting way he filmed this epic movie.
  • “Hostages to Fortune: The Cast” - A look into the award-winning actors and their connections to their real-world characters.
  • “Recast, Reshot, Reclaimed” - This piece follows the unprecedented recasting of the character J. Paul Getty a little over a month before the film's theatrical release.
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

All the Money in the World is inspired by the true events surrounding the Getty kidnapping in the early 1970s. While its script could have benefited from a nip and tuck, overall, it proved to be an entertaining drama, thanks in part to a wonderful performance by Christopher Plummer, who stepped into the role due to a last-minute recasting. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent technical merits, and a middling supplemental package. All the Money in the World is worthwhile viewing and deserves a place near the top of your Blu-ray rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-04-2018, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hello Ralph,

Thank you for the review. My wife and I didn't really care for it. The movie had no flow whatsoever.
Spoiler!

Anyways, this one is a one time view and never again.

Cheers

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 04-04-2018 at 04:24 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-05-2018, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The movie has all the gloss but suprisingly very little heart for the subject matter. Like boguspomp2 said you don't care about anybody in the script. The old Getty looks more like a fool and a tool than the richest man in the history of mankind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 104
anyone would care to speculate how the original-cast Kevin Spacey's Getty would be different? I kept imagining Spacey in the role with his Frank Underwood impression, more menacing and despicable (he's certainly got plenty of that covered). would be interesting if the studio ever released the movie with Spacey, if only a few scenes for bonus material, man's still hell of an actor...

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
post #5 of 8 Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c 2 View Post
anyone would care to speculate how the original-cast Kevin Spacey's Getty would be different?
I find Plummer a bit of too much of an old fool in this role. So yeah, Spacey will probably be meaner and scary if we were allowed to see his takes.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Got this as Netflix rental. I enjoyed the film for what it was. I had no prior knowledge of the kidnapping and did not realize this happened to the same Getty's that have a museum in Los Angeles, CA. There were several moments where the surround sound was quite engaging.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I had a lot of interest in the story as I am old enough to have followed the John Paul Getty III's kidnapping in the newspaper and had recently returned from Europe where I saw many of the movie's location. Much of the information being spread about the Getty family and the kidnappers at the time were disproved by the movie. As a voyeur in the Getty family I saw homes and a lifestyle that are either gone or beyond my experience.

Getty, Paul's grandfather, the richest man in the world had made a fortune by figuring out how to negotiate with the Bedouins and also how to build a supertanker to ship the oil. Getty imagined he was the reincarnation of the Roman emperor Hadrian and had live in Hadrian's villa at Tivoli. Tivoli is on a hill about 20 miles from Rome allowing the emperor to see and safely avoid civil unrest, fires and other catastrophes. Getty later endowed and built the Getty museum in Los Angeles in the form of Hadrian's villa. Getty avoided taxes by spending his money on exempt classic relics and Renaissance art. To me the movie was like a well acted history channel show and had a large, well spent production.

The Getty family seemed to have a genetic predilection to addictions, including alcohol, drugs,, sex and money, (both amassing and spending).

But, had the movie gone forward it would have been tragic. Sadly, Paul never recovered from the trauma and lived a troubled life, severely impaired and paralyzed as I learned from further research.

Paul's son, Balthazar Getty starred in the 1990 movie Lord of the flies.
powertoburn likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 06-23-2018 at 09:08 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-22-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I had a lot of interest in the story as I am old enough to have followed the John Paul Getty III's kidnapping in the newspaper and had recently returned from Europe where I saw many of the movie's location. Much of the information being spread about the Getty family and the kidnappers at the time were disproved by the movie. As a voyeur in the Getty family I saw homes and a lifestyle that are either gone or beyond my experience.

Getty, Paul's grandfather, the richest man in the world had made a fortune by figuring out how to negotiate with the Bedouins and also how to build a supertanker to ship the oil. Getty imagined he was the reincarnation of the Roman emperor Hadrian and had live in Hadrian's villa at Tivoli. Tivoli is on a hill about 20 miles from Rome allowing the emperor to see and safely avoid civil unrest, fires and other catastrophes. Getty later endowed and built the Getty museum in Los Angeles in the form of Hadrian's villa. Getty avoided taxes by putting his money on exempt family trust which held classic relics and Renaissance art and many other collectibles and properties. To me the movie was like a well acted history channel show and had a large, well spent production.

The Getty family seemed to have a genetic predilection to addictions, including alcohol, drugs, sex and money, (both amassing and spending).

But, had the movie gone forward it would have been tragic. Sadly, Paul never recovered from the trauma and lived a troubled life, severely impaired and paralyzed as I learned from further research.

Paul's son, Balthazar Getty starred in the 1990 movie Lord of the flies.
Two short scenes in the movie are easy to miss but add context and meaning: Getty's business trip to Kuwait or Saudi Arabia and the elder Getty's trip with his grandson to Hadrian's villa

A 1974 interview with Paul from Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ty-iii-w517556

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 06-23-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page