Peter Rabbit Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 3 Post By robsis
  • 1 Post By Mattopotamus
  • 1 Post By JeffR1
  • 4 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By HopefulFred

post #1 of 13 Old 05-04-2018, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
Peter Rabbit Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this contemporary feature film adaptation based on author Beatrix Potter’s classic tale of Peter Rabbit, the mischievous and adventurous hero who has captivated generations of readers.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English, French, Latvian, Estonian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Latvian, Estonian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
Starring: James Corden, Rose Byrne, Domhnall Gleeson, Sam Neill, Daisy Ridley, Margot Robbiee, Elizabeth Debicki
Directed by: Will Gluck
Music by: Dominic Lewis
Written by: Rob Lieber, Will Gluck
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: May 1, 2018

"Not Your Garden Variety Hero"

My Take:

Peter Rabbit and his three sisters -- Flopsy, Mopsy and Cotton-Tail -- enjoy spending their days in Mr. McGregor's vegetable garden. When one of McGregor's relatives suddenly moves in, he's less than thrilled to discover a family of rabbits in his new home. A battle of wills soon breaks out as the new owner hatches scheme after scheme to get rid of Peter -- a resourceful rabbit who proves to be a worthy and wily opponent.

As someone who enjoys family-oriented films I went into Peter Rabbit with an open mind having not previously read/heard anything about it. My tolerance for trite storylines is fairly high as long as it has likeable characters and heart. Unfortunately, this film mates a highly conventional plot with bland characters, stale humor and a script that does little to warm the heart. I like Domhnall Gleeson and must admit to feeling almost embarrassed for him in the role of Thomas, a late twenty something searching for his lot in life. He has affable charm but, comedy isn’t his strong suit. I felt that Sam Neill, Daisy Ridley and Margot Robbie were wasted in their roles.

Peter Rabbit isn’t terrible, it’s just flat. Young audiences probably won’t take umbrage with its obvious contrivances, garden variety characters and rehashed humor but, it holds little interest for their parents or those hoping for an engaging bit of family entertainment

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some rude humor and action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 78
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 84

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Peter Rabbit comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/True HD 7.1 channel sound.

Peter Rabbit garnered a solid report from me on its video quality in 1080p. Its presentation in Ultra HD was rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. Color reproduction is consistent, with primaries like green and red appearing richer, even a bit more delineated by comparison. Secondary hues look fine, although not appreciably better. The increase in resolution isn't always on display, especially in wide angle shots, although I believe that this is innate to the photography. Close-ups tend to offer better refinement and deeper resolvable texture on surfaces and physical features compared to the Blu-ray. The improvements are subtle.

The same is true when comparing the video's dynamic range. Exterior sequences offer the slightest hint of added punch, especially those that take place in London, while the darkened highlights in low-lit environs, like the nighttime sequence, have appreciable dimension and resolvable detail. Fleshtones are reproduced on a slightly pale scale, that at times appears unnatural. Viewing Peter Rabbit in Ultra HD didn’t offer any noteworthy visuals, making it a hard sell to discerning videophiles looking for the next title to show off their Ultra HD capable display’s chops.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety, which played well with the source material. Its use of audio objects placed above is comprised of a mix of atmospherics, acoustic sounds and nearfield effects. This is done well when implemented and creates a fair level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events well. The music is mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements without drawing attention away from the thematic details of what is transpiring onscreen. This mix eschews constant use of attention grabbing audio object placement but, I found myself involved when it mattered. Overall, I found this to be an enjoyable audio presentation.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 88
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:

Peter Rabbit comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is an excellent video presentation from Sony Pictures. High level detail is present throughout so that images are rendered with pristine quality. Colors are visually pleasing with occasional moments of reserved saturation that proves less eye catching. I wouldn’t define this as a shortcoming but the difference is noticeable and worth mentioning. Flesh tones are naturally rendered with appreciable complexional delineation among the members of the cast. Contrast and black levels are stable with ample depth and perceptible delineation.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio presentation renders the source elements with excellent clarity and punchy dynamics. Dialog is delivered with appreciable tonal variation and refinement. The surrounds are active and used to good effect for front/rear channel pans and reproduction of discrete sounds and musical extension. The mix isn’t very aggressive but, does create an enjoyable listening experience that matches the tone of the film.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Peter Rabbit Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Peter Rabbit Blu-ray
     “Flopsy Turvy” Mini Movie
     Shake Your Cotton-Tail Dance Along
     Mischief In The Making
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Peter Rabbit is a formulaic family themed film that mates a highly conventional plot with bland characters, rehashed humor and a script that does little to warm the heart. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Combo Pack from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring unremarkable Ultra HD video quality, solid high definition audio/video, a fair Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a lackluster supplemental package. Peter Rabbit was rather disappointing but, it’s worth consideration as a rental for the kids on a rainy afternoon.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
SuperFist and dnoonie like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Thanks for the review, Ralph. I was considering watching this via rental (probably to see what the fuss was all about when people complained that it made fun of people with allergies); however, your review has convinced me not to bother. I was hoping for a killer video score and it sounds like nothing worth wasting my time on as there isn't even eye candy to enjoy. I can handle 'meh' with good audio/video. Sounds like 'meh' all around.

Thanks for saving me some time to watch something else!
Ralph Potts, dnoonie and darthray like this.

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-04-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsis View Post
Thanks for the review, Ralph. I was considering watching this via rental (probably to see what the fuss was all about when people complained that it made fun of people with allergies); however, your review has convinced me not to bother. I was hoping for a killer video score and it sounds like nothing worth wasting my time on as there isn't even eye candy to enjoy. I can handle 'meh' with good audio/video. Sounds like 'meh' all around.

This sums up my thoughts. I was really hoping this would be a sneaky good movie. The trailer had me really excited, and I was waiting for it to come to video. Thanks for the review Ralph, saved me $30.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-05-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
If I was 6 again, I may have found this to my liking.
Your review was pretty much spot on Ralph and in that I agree with.

I did laugh here and there and found the English country side great eye candy with its lush green vibrant colours.
Hard to tell if it was CGI or the real thing though.
I just rented it from Microsoft, but even then I found the detail pretty good in the back ground trees and in Peter's fur.

They could have done so much more with this, but I got the impression that the writers didn't put much effort into the story and it was simply knocked off on a Friday afternoon before the big weekend golf game.

I'm not sure what they could have done with it, to deepen it over-all, but it sure could have used some expansion.
I almost found myself wanting to end sooner then later _ I was becoming bored with it.
I finished watching it to see how it would end.
dnoonie likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-05-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2289
I forgot to request this one and boy and I glad I did. Thanks for taking one for the team Ralph!

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #6 of 13 Old 05-06-2018, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I forgot to request this one and boy and I glad I did. Thanks for taking one for the team Ralph!

Greetings,

No problem Dave. Your turn next!

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 13 Old 05-06-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2077
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsis View Post

I saw the interview with that lady and thought to myself this has to be a joke. Some things in life can be a teachable moment if you don't waste your energy on trivial bs, if the US is ever invaded we may be doomed.

The real legitimate gripe is the folks in Australia who while waiting for Peter Rabbit to start were shown a trailer of Hereditary. So imagine you brought your 5 year old to see the movies and were shown this, kinda funny, but not......

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #8 of 13 Old 05-06-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I wouldn’t call this disappointing... it’s a silly simple movie. as observed from the trailer in first 20sec
...I mean who’s expecting for life changing deep thoughts or anything beyond silly ?
was it making fun of allergies? Omg this did have drama !
jeez

OTOH Black panther is disappointing

display - vizio p65
AVR x4300h +lepai 2ch amp = 7.2.4
L/C/R - Chane 2.4, SURROUND - dayton 3in cubes *temporary
BASS - 2x Seaton F18 + JTR 1400 "the wind machine" (not port noise)
2100 ft^3
post #9 of 13 Old 05-06-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
...garden variety characters...
I see what you did there.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-07-2018, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
I see what you did there.

Greetings,

Thanks for noticing!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 13 Old 06-26-2018, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I rented this from Netflix. Overall I enjoyed the movie especially the music. My only complaint is that some parts were longer then they should of been which did get me bored and couldn't wait for the movie to end. I am glad I did not blind buy this on UHD Blu-Ray.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-26-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
I rented this from Netflix. Overall I enjoyed the movie especially the music. My only complaint is that some parts were longer then they should of been which did get me bored and couldn't wait for the movie to end. I am glad I did not blind buy this on UHD Blu-Ray.
I thought the "hanging of the picture" scene would never end...
post #13 of 13 Old 09-03-2018, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Peter Rabbit Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Well guess my family and I are in the minority here, or maybe a good camping weekend ended by watching this family movie on Netflix had us in a ready mood.

Kids 16/14/12, We laughed so hard at some of scenes, did not overthink it.

But hey, we also love the adventures of Milo and Otis.

Sidebar;

Recently on Netflix I’ve seen them put the LFE gain way too hot compared to std mix on some movies.

I literally had to turn the Subwoofers down -5db my Denon 8500H menu.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 09-04-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page