Braveheart Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 05-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I haven't watched this movie in years, but after reading this review and seeing itunes already has the free 4k upgrade, I think I'm going to put it in my watch list for the summer.
Ralph Potts and Tim Glover like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 05-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Nice review Ralph! Do you think you will be getting your hands on "The Patriot" as well? I'm not a huge fan of the movie, per se (always felt it was a bit of thematic rehash of Braveheart), but the pre-order price on Amazon dropped to $14 one day and I couldn't resist. Should have some nice reds in it.

Would like to know if I need to cancel the pre-order, but it seems these releases are the real deal.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb
post #33 of 48 Old 05-16-2018, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Viking View Post
Nice review Ralph! Do you think you will be getting your hands on "The Patriot" as well? I'm not a huge fan of the movie, per se (always felt it was a bit of thematic rehash of Braveheart), but the pre-order price on Amazon dropped to $14 one day and I couldn't resist. Should have some nice reds in it.

Would like to know if I need to cancel the pre-order, but it seems these releases are the real deal.

Greetings,

Yes, I should be receiving a copy of The Patriot as well.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks Dan. Not sure what lies in store regarding system upgrades. Frankly, reviewing takes quite a bit of my time, leaving me with very little time to enjoy my personal collection. If the reviews are not considered to be worthwhile it may be time to move on.

Regards,
Ralph, please keep doing what you are doing. I like your reviews the best, as you are never heavy handed or make it more about yourself than the films you review. As far as your equipment is concerned, I have a 75" 12bit capable DV display (also does HDR10), in a totally black dedicated room. Your experience matches what I see the vast majority of the time.

What I believe some people are missing, is that you compare both formats on the same display, whereas most reviews are format specific. Also, different displays may offer better performance with one format over the other. There is no way you could possibly take that into account.

I very much appreciate what you do.

Art
Ralph Potts, pspoar and SteveC356 like this.
post #35 of 48 Old 05-16-2018, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
Ralph, please keep doing what you are doing. I like your reviews the best, as you are never heavy handed or make it more about yourself than the films you review. As far as your equipment is concerned, I have a 75" 12bit capable DV display (also does HDR10), in a totally black dedicated room. Your experience matches what I see the vast majority of the time.

What I believe some people are missing, is that you compare both formats on the same display, whereas most reviews are format specific. Also, different displays may offer better performance with one format over the other. There is no way you could possibly take that into account.

I very much appreciate what you do.

Art
Greetings,

Thank you so much Art!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #36 of 48 Old 05-16-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Braveheart is one of those incredibly special movies that is so amazingly well told, well acted, well directed, and choreographed perfectly with music and pace.

In this politically charged time, we get so few of these anymore. The minefield of today pulls producers and directors to projects most of us simply don't want to see.

Gladiator
Braveheart
Forrest Gump
Goodfellas
Shawshank Redemption
Silence of the Lambs
Pulp Fiction
Boogie Nights
Fargo
The Matrix
Schindlers List
Groundhog Day
Goodfellas

Where did these movies go? They're so few and far between anymore. Sure, we get Interstellar or The Martian now and again, or a great movie like Darkest Hour, but for the most part it's just rehashed Marvel nonsense or PC lectures. The best stuff anymore comes in the form of series on Netflix or Amazon. I like a good series like Narcos or Breaking Bad, but I much prefer a great movie like Inception. More of that please.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #37 of 48 Old 05-17-2018, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Braveheart is one of those incredibly special movies that is so amazingly well told, well acted, well directed, and choreographed perfectly with music and pace.

In this politically charged time, we get so few of these anymore. The minefield of today pulls producers and directors to projects most of us simply don't want to see.

Gladiator
Braveheart
Forrest Gump
Goodfellas
Shawshank Redemption
Silence of the Lambs
Pulp Fiction
Boogie Nights
Fargo
The Matrix
Schindlers List
Groundhog Day
Goodfellas

Where did these movies go? They're so few and far between anymore. Sure, we get Interstellar or The Martian now and again, or a great movie like Darkest Hour, but for the most part it's just rehashed Marvel nonsense or PC lectures. The best stuff anymore comes in the form of series on Netflix or Amazon. I like a good series like Narcos or Breaking Bad, but I much prefer a great movie like Inception. More of that please.
I’m with ya. I think some of the best stuff put on screen in recent years comes in the form of HBO series. Season one of True Detective is among some of the best things I’ve ever watched, chalk it up there with my personal favorite, Deadwood. HBO has tons of little mini series too that are fantastic. Band of Brothers and The Pacific are both superb, as well as John Adams and a little known series starring Benedict Cumberbatch called Parades End.

I’m not sure I’ve ever actually sat down and watched all the way through Braveheart but if it’s as good as some of the other older releases Ralph’s been reviewing it might be time.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #38 of 48 Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Watched it last night, spot on Ralph this is a fantastic release in 4K uhd, these are great times to be in our hobby!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #39 of 48 Old 05-18-2018, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Hi Ralph

Count me as one of those people who eagerly look forward to reading your reviews of movies. Like one of the other posters said, I very often make my decision to either purchase or not purchase a disc after reading your reviews. I can also say that there are countless movies that I have rented on Netflix only because you reviewed it and piqued my curiosity. Please do not let one of your readers leave you with the impression that your reviews cannot be trusted. I for one would be very sad to see you stop reviewing movies. So please keep plugging away and writing the terrific reviews that almost all of us have come to expect of you.

With best regards.

Cal68

PS: I'm looking forward to your review of Die Hard now!

Cal68
post #40 of 48 Old 05-18-2018, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Hi Ralph

Count me as one of those people who eagerly look forward to reading your reviews of movies. Like one of the other posters said, I very often make my decision to either purchase or not purchase a disc after reading your reviews. I can also say that there are countless movies that I have rented on Netflix only because you reviewed it and piqued my curiosity. Please do not let one of your readers leave you with the impression that your reviews cannot be trusted. I for one would be very sad to see you stop reviewing movies. So please keep plugging away and writing the terrific reviews that almost all of us have come to expect of you.

With best regards.

Cal68

PS: I'm looking forward to your review of Die Hard now!
Greetings,

Thank you very much Cal. I really appreciate your comments.

Diehard coming up!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #41 of 48 Old 05-21-2018, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
May is turning out to be an expensive month for UHD Blu-Ray just ordered this along with quite a few other movies. Looking forward to listening to the Dolby Atmos soundtrack. I don't own it on Blu-Ray and it's been quite awhile since I last watched it.
post #42 of 48 Old 06-01-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 2089
The credits are rolling and I'm happy to report that the PQ was fantastic, most definitely a notch or two above the 1080p version. I won't repeat the excellent points that Ralph mentioned but I do agree with them 100%. Besides the obvious rise in details, the colors were better and I don't recall the black levels being this good. This was pure EYE CANDY from start to finish (with the exception of a few soft shots here and there)!

Let me add that this is probably my 6th viewing of this film and IMHO it gets better with each viewing!
Ralph Potts and gwsat like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 06-01-2018 at 09:53 PM.
post #43 of 48 Old 06-02-2018, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
The credits are rolling and I'm happy to report that the PQ was fantastic, most definitely a notch or two above the 1080p version. I won't repeat the excellent points that Ralph mentioned but I do agree with them 100%. Besides the obvious rise in details, the colors were better and I don't recall the black levels being this good. This was pure EYE CANDY from start to finish (with the exception of a few soft shots here and there)!

Let me add that this is probably my 6th viewing of this film and IMHO it gets better with each viewing!

Greetings,

Fantastic! Glad to hear it didn't disappoint Denny. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts/impressions.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #44 of 48 Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4470 Post(s)
Liked: 5816
I bought the UHD hDR TrueHD Atmos Braveheart disk from Amazon in May, the week it was released, and watched it the night it arrived but I overlooked posting here then.

This evening, I decided to give it a second look and was glad I had. Braveheart is a masterpiece, one of the all time great historical epics. The film is filled with great performances, particularly Angus Macfadyen as Robert the Bruce and Sophie Marceau as Princess Isabelle. Patrick McGoohan was also great as Longshanks. The UHD HDR video and TrueHD Atmos audio blew me away. Both were demonstration quality. In fact, the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard. No wonder the film won one of the Best Sound Oscars and was nominated for the other! I have seen Braveheart more times than I can count but it retains its power to move me every time. Not to be missed, 10 Stars out of 10.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #45 of 48 Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Incredible disc Ralph -what an image and film!
Ralph Potts likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #46 of 48 Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
I have it in my collection still haven't seen it in UHD

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #47 of 48 Old 07-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4470 Post(s)
Liked: 5816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I have it in my collection still haven't seen it in UHD
Frank. — It’s not to be missed. I watched it again on Friday evening and was once again blown away. It’s video and audio are both demonstration quality, on top of which it’s one of the greatest historical dramas ever filmed. If this one can’t make you cry, nothing can.
Ralph Potts likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #48 of 48 Old 07-21-2019, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Frank. — It’s not to be missed. I watched it again on Friday evening and was once again blown away. It’s video and audio are both demonstration quality, on top of which it’s one of the greatest historical dramas ever filmed. If this one can’t make you cry, nothing can.

Definitely will be watching it this week Reading Ralphs review im glad I bought it on UHD
Ralph Potts and gwsat like this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page