The Matrix Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 214Likes

post #91 of 162 Old 05-28-2018, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 43
the audio in this movie is much better than the video, the atmos track is downright great and does not have an issue where the atmos effects seem 'unenvenly' applied throughout the movie, it is consistently great. the video, well, it looks good but if you want to show a reference video for 4k hdr to impress someone, im not sure this is the movie to do it. while the 4k hdr looks good here, it does show some signs of age (this being a close to 20 year old movie) compared to some of the new 4k hdr movies that go for a more digital and sharp look. so let's just say the 4k hdr on this movie is not as sharp as a guardians of the galaxy vol. 2. i would still rate the video 90 or above but not reference grade. audio is reference grade definitely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 162 Old 05-29-2018, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfson23 View Post
the audio in this movie is much better than the video, the atmos track is downright great and does not have an issue where the atmos effects seem 'unenvenly' applied throughout the movie, it is consistently great. the video, well, it looks good but if you want to show a reference video for 4k hdr to impress someone, im not sure this is the movie to do it. while the 4k hdr looks good here, it does show some signs of age (this being a close to 20 year old movie) compared to some of the new 4k hdr movies that go for a more digital and sharp look. so let's just say the 4k hdr on this movie is not as sharp as a guardians of the galaxy vol. 2. i would still rate the video 90 or above but not reference grade. audio is reference grade definitely.
Quick question about the audio - any decent bass in the fight scenes? Like in the Neo/Morpheus spar and Neo/Smith showdown at the train station? Do the punches/kicks have any heft? Because I recently watched the old Bluray and the punches/impacts had little ... er, impact. Funnily enough, the old DVD of the Matrix had more impressive bass!
post #93 of 162 Old 05-29-2018, 01:51 AM

Liked: 43
^yeah pretty solid bass imo even though i keep the subwoofer dialed down rather low. i cant say about the dvd v blu ray comparison but here in the 4k version, the bass seems rock solid to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 162 Old 05-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Not quite but, close!

Regards,
What movie or movies have a higher score than The Matrix?

Sony 65X 900F
Denon X3400
Sony UBP-X800
Harmony Elite
post #95 of 162 Old 06-04-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Matrix meets some of the loudness war.

The Atmos track has more dynamic range compression and peak normalization applied in comparison to the original Blu-ray DTHD 5.1 track, increasing the overall track level and pushing transients closer to full scale.
I did extract the included DD 5.1 track but eac3to claimed detecting some clipping and reduced the gain by -4.29dB. The resulting waveform looks much closer to the Atmos 7.1 mix than the original Blu-ray DTHD 5.1 mix. I am not including pictures of the DD at this time. I might try again with the original DVD's DD track.

The DTHD LFE channel does not have a lowpass filter applied whereas the Atmos and DD LFE does.

Dynamics have been reduced in addition to the differences to levels, EQ, channels and objects of the Atmos mix, resulting in material sounding much more forward or peaking unnaturally with the squashed transients. Or as many have expressed "more revealing".

The Center channel has more peak normalization and compression in the Atmos track versus the DTHD, approximately 3.17dB difference, while the later does have a minor instance of clipping it is overall more dynamic.

*I need to do some more listening comparisons between the Atmos and DTHD tracks to determine if the bass is actually improved and has more content with the new mix or it is the same material but simply louder . I'll update my comments later.

**After further demoing some material from the first six minutes there pros and cons for each mix. The Atmos does have more bass, some of the emphasis has been mixed into the main Left and Right channels more than the DTHD track. LFE in the Atmos mix does have on the whole dramatically more output. Yet, one can have too much of a fun thing.

This is not the worst remix I have heard nor the loudest but at least to me the mix would have benefited from being a little less aggressive in elevating the levels. The sound design has always had a pumpy quality to many sound effects, which further stands out now in the Atmos mix. While the bass has been improved it also can be a bit too much.

For those that appreciate those qualities then the Atmos mix is a great improvement, while those that may prefer an alternative will find the DTHD a bit lacking in the bass department after listening to the Atmos mix.

Matrix 4k Atmos 7.1

ITU-R BS.1770-3 Loudness: -15.69 LUFS

Matrix original Blu-ray DTHD 5.1
ITU-R BS.1770-3 Loudness: -18.53 LUFS

Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Matrix-Atmos-Wav-DR_Stats.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	2411800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Matrix-DTHD-5_1Wav-DR_Stats.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	2411802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Matrix-Atmos-Spec-DR_Stats.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	2411804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Matrix-DTHD-5_1Spec-DR_Stats.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	2411806  
Ralph Potts, Toe, AVfile and 1 others like this.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.

Last edited by KMFDMvsEnya; 06-04-2018 at 01:49 PM.
post #96 of 162 Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 6635
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
Matrix meets some of the loudness war.

The Atmos track has more dynamic range compression and peak normalization applied in comparison to the original Blu-ray DTHD 5.1 track, increasing the overall track level and pushing transients closer to full scale.
I did extract the included DD 5.1 track but eac3to claimed detecting some clipping and reduced the gain by -4.29dB. The resulting waveform looks much closer to the Atmos 7.1 mix than the original Blu-ray DTHD 5.1 mix. I am not including pictures of the DD at this time. I might try again with the original DVD's DD track.

The DTHD LFE channel does not have a lowpass filter applied wheres as the Atmos and DD LFE does.

Dynamics have been reduced in addition to the differences to levels, EQ, channels and objects of the Atmos mix, resulting in material sounding much more forward or peaking unnaturally with the squashed transients. Or as many have expressed "more revealing".

The Center channel has more peak normalization and compression in the Atmos track versus the DTHD, approximately 3.17dB difference, while the later does have a minor instance of clipping it is overall more dynamic.

*I need to do some more listening comparisons between the Atmos and DTHD tracks to determine if the bass is actually improved and has more content with the new mix or it is the same material but simply louder . I'll update my comments later.

Matrix 4k Atmos 7.1
ITU-R BS.1770-3 Loudness: -15.69 LUFS

Matrix original Blu-ray DTHD 5.1
ITU-R BS.1770-3 Loudness: -18.53 LUFS

Spoiler!
Greetings,

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings.

Regards,
KMFDMvsEnya likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #97 of 162 Old 06-04-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,
Thanks for taking the time to share your findings.

Regards,

For the record I am not disagreeing with your assessment of the new Atmos track, it does provide various improvements and to a relatively good degree respects the past versions. As my updated comments in my prior post describe that whoever did the new mix might have been a bit overzealous in increasing the levels but those folks who do not mind it, have and, will continue to enjoy this particular rendition.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #98 of 162 Old 06-04-2018, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I personally thought it was amazing as far as the sound goes. Fun ride.
Ralph Potts and SteveC356 like this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #99 of 162 Old 06-04-2018, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 6635
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
For the record I am not disagreeing with your assessment of the new Atmos track, it does provide various improvements and to a relatively good degree respects the past versions. As my updated comments in my prior post describe that whoever did the new mix might have been a bit overzealous in increasing the levels but those folks who do not mind it, have and, will continue to enjoy this particular rendition.
Greetings,

Yep, I understood where you were coming from. Thanks again...

Regards,
KMFDMvsEnya likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #100 of 162 Old 06-08-2018, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
I personally thought it was amazing as far as the sound goes. Fun ride.
Agreed completely. Always been a little disappointed with Blurays but this presentation was fantastic, audio especially.

I'm secretly hoping 2 and 3 will get a 4K treatment. I don't hate them nearly as much as every one else seems to do, the final sentinel scene in 3 would be fantastic in HDR/Atmos.
Toe, Rengozu and SteveC356 like this.
post #101 of 162 Old 06-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2795 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by z284pwr View Post
Agreed completely. Always been a little disappointed with Blurays but this presentation was fantastic, audio especially.

I'm secretly hoping 2 and 3 will get a 4K treatment. I don't hate them nearly as much as every one else seems to do, the final sentinel scene in 3 would be fantastic in HDR/Atmos.
No doubt as far as 2 and 3 go. The Smiths battle, highway chase scene and all the action at the end of part two would be demo worthy. The entire last hour of part 3 would be insane demo audio as well!
DenverMDM and SteveC356 like this.
post #102 of 162 Old 06-09-2018, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 5620 Post(s)
Liked: 6092
can't get much cheaper than this

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-mat...?skuId=6247208

We've had 3 different viewings so far. for some strange reason I want a Nokia 8110 now

Ralph Potts and AVfile like this.
post #103 of 162 Old 06-09-2018, 08:24 AM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
can't get much cheaper than this

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-mat...?skuId=6247208

We've had 3 different viewings so far. for some strange reason I want a Nokia 8110 now

I'd bite at that price, but unfortunately that deal is useless when it's store pick up only and the closest store that has it in my area is 200 miles away in the mountains, lol. Maybe I can get Target to price match.
post #104 of 162 Old 06-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 5620 Post(s)
Liked: 6092
it must have sold out, it was available for online purchase last night when I posted it.

even amazon and warner brothers direct are both out of stock, I wonder what the sell #'s are for this release. Maybe they under-estimated how many people would buy it.
post #105 of 162 Old 06-10-2018, 01:37 PM

Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it must have sold out, it was available for online purchase last night when I posted it.

even amazon and warner brothers direct are both out of stock, I wonder what the sell #'s are for this release. Maybe they under-estimated how many people would buy it.
it sure sends a boost of confidence to studios to keep churning out high quality media on physical retail. it's definitely sold out, I've spent the past 3 weekends visiting 3 BB stores during various errand-runs, have yet to see a single physical copy (so I could grab one for myself). as for the BB promo link, "unavailable within 250 miles of (my location)"

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
post #106 of 162 Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ok, so I finally got a chance to sit down and watch this today.

I appreciate a great soundtrack, and this one definitely had it, but I can't get past the visuals.

The grain on the walls in the interrogation scene where agent Smith is interrogating Mr. Anderson was so distracting I couldn't focus on the scene and grabbed my cell phone to post this question...

Is there a way to tame that grain sparkle on a 2017 LG oled?

I'm watching on a Sony x700 player with that latest firmware, so it's some form of dolby vision. I'm wondering if noise reduction or mpeg noise reduction would help. I've got the sharpness setting turned down to 10. There are scenes that look incredible, like the detail in Morpheous' nose and the reflection in his sunglasses just before Neo takes the red pill, but that interrogation scene was just awful. I get its a 1999 film, but my pioneer 525 DVD player on a old 2009 Samsung LED didn't bother me like that.

It was incredibly distracting. For this release to receive such high marks in the visuals dept, I am sure I'm missing something. I'm still getting acquainted with dolby vision on this player and TV, so maybe there's a setting in there I'm missing.
post #107 of 162 Old 06-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Be happy that that the grain is there. Just pretend it is not there.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
AVfile likes this.
post #108 of 162 Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lganz316 View Post
Be happy that that the grain is there. Just pretend it is not there.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
So you're saying, "there is no spoon, er, grain..."

It was bad though. Like old black and white static snow bad. I messed with several settings and couldn't really tame it with any of the available noise filters, but the cinema (not cinema home) picture setting controlled it the best. Once you notice it though, it's tough to ignore.

I mean, I get grain. I get it's part of that type of film media and that including it is being true to the original presentation, but this wasn't natural or subtle like the original blade runner UHD grain. This is like 'roid rage grain.

Last edited by trptguy; 06-11-2018 at 07:32 PM.
post #109 of 162 Old 06-19-2018, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why is this disc so impossible to find? BB doesn’t even list it and amazon says 1-3 months shipping!! What the hell is going on? I refuse to pay double on eBay.
post #110 of 162 Old 06-20-2018, 07:18 AM

Liked: 117
just want to report that through incredible dumb effing luck I stumbled upon a single (and possibly last one standing) copy last weekend in a local BB, I grabbed it with usain-bolt-level lighting reflex without even thinkin., very consumer-friendly priced too, $18.xx something before tax. I still can't believe it.
AVfile likes this.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
post #111 of 162 Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by trptguy View Post
So you're saying, "there is no spoon, er, grain..."

It was bad though. Like old black and white static snow bad. I messed with several settings and couldn't really tame it with any of the available noise filters, but the cinema (not cinema home) picture setting controlled it the best. Once you notice it though, it's tough to ignore.

I mean, I get grain. I get it's part of that type of film media and that including it is being true to the original presentation, but this wasn't natural or subtle like the original blade runner UHD grain. This is like 'roid rage grain.

You may want to check out this thread: Dolby Vision and HDR Noise
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t

Apparently there is glitch with certain OLED sets when playing Dolby Vision content.
AVfile likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #112 of 162 Old 06-20-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 2374
My local BB was showing out of stock, but went and there was one left. While walking through the TV section there was a small display with a bunch of 4k releases, there was 6 or 7 copies of the Matrix. This was totally removed from the area with physical media.

It may be worth looking in your local store to see if they have some next to the TVs
Ralph Potts likes this.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #113 of 162 Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
My local BB was showing out of stock, but went and there was one left. While walking through the TV section there was a small display with a bunch of 4k releases, there was 6 or 7 copies of the Matrix. This was totally removed from the area with physical media.

It may be worth looking in your local store to see if they have some next to the TVs
I tried yesterday only to discover that they had removed almost the entire inventory of physical bluray since the last time I was in. There a couple of those 4 side display stands that only have latest releases on them. Then 2/3rds of the racks on those displays stands were empty. I doubt there are 30 total titles in the store. And I bet most here could name them off the top of their head. There is another set of stands dedicated to digital copy. But again, incredibly small selection. Plus, I live in the sticks and have crappy internet. I need the physical copy to get the 4k/HDR experience. Could be an interesting problem as physical discs continue to die.
post #114 of 162 Old 06-21-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
You may want to check out this thread: Dolby Vision and HDR Noise
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t

Apparently there is glitch with certain OLED sets when playing Dolby Vision content.
Thank you for this link. It would appear I'm not alone in what I was seeing.
post #115 of 162 Old 06-24-2018, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post

Thanks for this. My local Best Buy did indeed have some left with a bunch of other 4k discs in the back. Of course they are now "wise" to the fact that its hard to find so it was $35.

Watched it last night. Worth every penny.

Film grain looked natural (and beautiful) on my calibrated-by-ChadB OLED. If the grain to too pronounced, try lowering your sharpening settings on your TV.
AVfile and Gorilla Killa like this.

LG OLED55C6P, Panasonic UB-820, Sony UBP-X800, Zidoo X9S, Denon AVR-X3400H, vintage Carver M1.0T amp, Axiom M60v3 Mains & VP100 Center, Original SVS 20-39pci Cylinder sub, Phase Tech Surrounds & 2 Polk RC60i Atmos. Desktop system: Fully restored (by me) vintage Marantz 2275 stereo receiver from 1976 driving a pair of Axiom M2v3's, BIC 10" Sub.
post #116 of 162 Old 06-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
The sequels are coming to UHD too, right? I'd rather not have to buy these one at a time.

post #117 of 162 Old 07-13-2018, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I bought it long time ago and only watched it this morning. Wow the audio is so good especially the base. Wow one of the best base.thanks Ralph for great review.

But the story is not my type. It is ok for me. Not sure why so many people like it so much.

Last edited by Roudan; 07-13-2018 at 12:17 PM.
post #118 of 162 Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Toe

This UHD movie is $15 for Prime members today on Amazon. That's the kind of price I've been waiting for! Price will adjust once you go to checkout.
Ralph Potts and AVfile like this.
post #119 of 162 Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Amazon says it ships in 2-3 months. Is that actually the wait?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #120 of 162 Old 07-17-2018, 05:20 AM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadler View Post
Amazon says it ships in 2-3 months. Is that actually the wait?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
My confirmation email says the same thing. I don't mind since my HT backlog is ridiculous right now so I have plenty to keep me busy until Matrix arrives.
andyadler and AVfile like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page