Die Hard 30th Anniversary Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
  • 5 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Cal68
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 9 Post By Mattopotamus
  • 2 Post By Rengozu
  • 2 Post By kucharsk
  • 2 Post By nathanddrews
  • 1 Post By lganz316
  • 1 Post By TravisPNW
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By nathanddrews
  • 1 Post By bnmdmj
  • 1 Post By nathanddrews
  • 1 Post By GunmetalR56
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts

post #1 of 19 Old 05-18-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6102
Die Hard 30th Anniversary Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray that celebrates the 30th anniversary of the film that launched the billion-dollar action franchise and made a star of Bruce Willis.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 1988
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 132 minutes
Genre: Drama/Action/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1, Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Bruce Willis, Bonnie Bedelia, Alan Rickman, Alexander Godunov, Reginald Vel Johnson, William Atherton
Directed by: John McTiernan
Music by: Michael Kamen
Written by: Jeb Stuart, Steven E. deSouza based on the novel by Roderick Thorp
Region Code: A

Release Date: May 15, 2018

"Yipee Ki Yay"

My Take:

Bruce Willis stars as New York City cop John McClane, off-duty, and visiting his wife in L.A., McClane finds himself in the line of fire when a group of terrorists seize an office building, trapping him, his estranged wife (Bonnie Bedelia) and dozens of party-goers inside. As hostages are rounded up, McClane slips away and, armed with only a service weapon, launches his own one-man war.

I am most definitely a Die Hard fan. I saw Die Hard in the theater back in 1988 and was instantly hooked. Back then action flicks were predominantly led by larger than life characters with muscles to spare and enough glitz to power a city. Enter John McClane, a seemingly affable everyman with a non-imposing physique and bad habits. Prior to Die Hard my experience with Bruce Willis consisted of catches glimpses of him on TV’s Moonlighting and a movie (comedy) called “Blind Date” with Kim Basinger. I didn’t have a problem seeing him in a role such as this but honestly wasn’t expecting much.

Of course, my expectations were far exceeded. Die Hard was edgy, clever and dynamic as it plied us with engaging action, wonderfully integrated heart/humor and an iconic character that would go on to reshape the genre. Filled with classic lines and memorable moments it felt so fresh/entertaining and left audiences hankering for more. I love the Die Hard for many things but, key among them is for giving us the villain of Hans Gruber. Hands down, the late Alan Rickman owns this character and is one of the contributing factors that make Die Hard so good. Die Hard would spawn numerous sequels and capture the enduring devotion of hordes of fans the world over. It truly is a classic.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

This film contains strong violence, drug content, partial nudity and pervasive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

UHD Presentation: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Die Hard comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

Diehard recently underwent a 4K re-mastering and its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray was derived from that process.

It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. A film like Die Hard has an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of optics that won't result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of a film shot using digital cameras. This isn't a problem and shouldn't be seen as such.

I have seen Die Hard countless times in standard and high definition. Frankly, it has never been a very good-looking film but, I had high hopes for its debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray. Looking at the film's opening moments aboard the airplane and later during the limo ride, the improvement in depth and delineation was noticeable but, not to a high degree. As the film went on things improved. When the limo arrives at Nakatomi Plaza the image’s beautiful sepia and refined sharpness looked wonderful.

Die Hard is not an overtly bright film, although there are bright elements. The film’s cinematography benefited from the enhanced resolution and warmer chromatic accents. In many respects, the image is emboldened with a discernible boost to definition, although this can be scene and sometimes frame specific. Color reproduction benefited from the wider color gamut, especially blues, and reds which pop nicely. The wide-angle shots of the skyline and the interior of the unfinished areas of Nakatomi looked great. I noticed that film grain took on more emphasis here and there which some may interpret as background noise, but I didn’t detect any extraneous noise.

High dynamic range added a tangible visual element that enriched both natural and artificial light. Bright highlights, such as flashes of light from explosions, sparks and muzzle blasts appeared vibrant, while dark highlights were rendered with appreciable dimension, especially when coupled with brighter visual elements. There were times where I felt as though I was rediscovering this film all over again.

Hands down, this is the best Die Hard has looked on home video. While the difference between it and its 1080p rendering aren’t night and day the improvement is enough to warrant attention. Kudos to Fox Home Entertainment for giving this the treatment it deserves. Hopefully we can expect continued support of the Ultra HD releases from their extensive catalog.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA audio mix is the same one found on the previous Blu-ray release. It does a nice job rendering the 30-year-old soundtrack. Dialog has discernible intonation, with distinctive clarity and above average room penetration. This is a more or less front oriented presentation that makes effective use of the entire system to deliver the action-based components which are highlighted by solid impact, defining clarity, and the memorable music score. Dynamic range is good, although the limitation inherent in the original recording is noticeable but, not defining. Surround activity isn’t constant but when applied can be copious as discernible spatial ambience and discrete sounds fill the listening area.

The LFE channel is similarly used to punctuate sound effects like explosions, gunfire and roaring flames. The soundtrack contains a variety of audio cues/spatial dimension that extend the soundstage. This includes the envelopment provided by the music as well as the discrete placement of sounds that travel from one side of the soundfield to the other. Imaging across the front is definitive while front to rear integration isn’t quite as cohesive as occasionally, sounds mixed to the rear channels can be a bit more prominent which skews balance. The overall effect doesn’t prove overtly distracting though. At the end of the day it’s a complimentary surround mix.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Diehard Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Diehard Blu-ray
    • Commentary by Director John McTiernan and Production Designer Jackson DeGovia
    • Scene-Specific Commentary by Special Effects Supervisor Richard Edlund
    • Subtitle Commentary by Various Cast and Crew
    • The News Casts Featurette
    • Interactive Style Gallery
    • Interactive Articles from Cinefex and American Cinematographer
    • Full-Length Screenplay
    • Trailers & TV Spots
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Die Hard is a beloved and highly successful film with a timeless appeal that has endured over the 30 years since we first met John McClane. Its debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray in this Combo Pack from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment offers fans a chance to see it looking its best. The legacy bonus supplements are the same as those found on the previous Blu-ray and also includes a Digital Copy. For devoted fans equipped for Ultra HD Blu-ray this is a no brainer.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-18-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Hi Ralph

Thanks for your review of Die Hard. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed that the transfer by Fox wasn't good enough to warrant a higher score from you. And not doing even a minor upgrade to the audio track is a major bummer for me. I was hoping for at least a 7.1 audio track. Oh well, I think that I will rent this movie and then decide if I want to purchase it or not. I have the bluray release so I'll hold for now. But thanks again for a great review.

Cal68
SuperFist and Ralph Potts like this.

Cal68
post #3 of 19 Old 05-18-2018, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Hi Ralph

Thanks for your review of Die Hard. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed that the transfer by Fox wasn't good enough to warrant a higher score from you. And not doing even a minor upgrade to the audio track is a major bummer for me. I was hoping for at least a 7.1 audio track. Oh well, I think that I will rent this movie and then decide if I want to purchase it or not. I have the bluray release so I'll hold for now. But thanks again for a great review.

Cal68
Greetings,

Cal, inevitably the answer lies in the films innate elements, more than the quality of the transfer. A rental is a good start and you can go from there. A B+ is certainly not a poor rating.

Regards,
Cal68 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-18-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Cal, inevitably the answer lies in the films innate elements, more than the quality of the transfer. A rental is a good start and you can go from there. A B+ is certainly not a poor rating.

Regards,
I agree Ralph, a B+ is not a poor score. Maybe my expectations were too high. I was hoping for a huge leap above the currently available bluray. But as soon as I heard that the audio track was the same as on the bluray, I started to get bummed out!

Thanks again for the review.

Cal68

Cal68
post #5 of 19 Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
I agree Ralph, a B+ is not a poor score. Maybe my expectations were too high. I was hoping for a huge leap above the currently available bluray. But as soon as I heard that the audio track was the same as on the bluray, I started to get bummed out!

Thanks again for the review.

Cal68
I think we have been spoiled by gladiator, braveheart, and saving private Ryan.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-18-2018, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I think we have been spoiled by gladiator, braveheart, and saving private Ryan.
Kinda relieved I don't feel the need to rush out to buy this one immediately.
Ralph Potts and SuperFist like this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #7 of 19 Old 05-19-2018, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Hi Ralph

… And not doing even a minor upgrade to the audio track is a major bummer for me. I was hoping for at least a 7.1 audio track review.

Cal68
I don't get why people want new fake audio tracks.

The film never had a 7.1 release, creating one would be as bad to me as the simulated 5.1 on the Peanuts holiday cartoons on BD.
nathanddrews and robn1 like this.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Now I just need a new release of "White Christmas" and my wife and I can enjoy our Christmas movie double-feature tradition in 4K!
Ralph Potts and dtsdig like this.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-21-2018, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In this set is the included Bluray (HD) from the 4k remaster as well?

The best source for WDTV tips and homebrew WDTVforum.com
post #10 of 19 Old 05-21-2018, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Then you must be hating the Atmos track on Blade Runner and few other Sony UHDs because they came out of laziness and tried to go the extra mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I don't get why people want new fake audio tracks.

The film never had a 7.1 release, creating one would be as bad to me as the simulated 5.1 on the Peanuts holiday cartoons on BD.
Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Cal68 likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-21-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
I don't have Atmos capability, but in general, I am grateful when studios provide the opportunity to play back the original tracks.

This is especially true for movies that were originally Mono and I know all stereo/surround tracks are fake.

As I said the Peanuts holiday specials are especially horrible in this respect, introducing all kinds of phase errors into long beloved musical selections in the name of 5.1 audio; in all seriousness I love the way they look on BD and UHD, but I usually watch the DVDs as I can't stand the audio on the new discs and WB neglected to include a mono track. The phase errors in the 5.1 tracks also mean that when you sum them to mono on the processor, you can still hear them and thus the soundtrack is destroyed.

On other titles like The Prisoner on BD, thankfully they did. White Christmas is another title where a restored mono track was gratefully provided.

I have no issue with a 5.1 track on titles that may have originally had 5.1, say titles released in 70mm magnetic, but when new channels are created out of whole cloth, that's when it begins to be an issue for me.

That having been said, does anyone else find the UHD disc to be very loud?

I run all my titles at "reference" volume - calibrated at 0 dB on my processor, 75 dB white noise per channel.

I watched several movies that way yesterday and had no issues, but I had to turn down the UHD as I felt my speakers were actually in some danger as it seemed mastered a lot hotter than I expected.

Popping in my old THX Die Hard DVD seemed to confirm this.

Anyone else?

Last edited by kucharsk; 05-21-2018 at 04:37 PM.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
May is turning out to be an expensive month for UHD Blu-Ray! I decided to order this since I don't own it on blu-ray. Slightly disappointed that this did not get audio remixed to DTS:X or Dolby Atmos like other titles released this month.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 731
It was a worthy upgrade IMO... not a big upgrade in resolution but the HDR really popped. The convenience store scene with the colorful snacks looked really good... and of course the blood throughout.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #14 of 19 Old 05-22-2018, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
It was a worthy upgrade IMO... not a big upgrade in resolution but the HDR really popped. The convenience store scene with the colorful snacks looked really good... and of course the blood throughout.
Greetings,

Agreed Travis. I remember thinking that the scene in the convenience store looked quite good.

Regards,
TravisPNW likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #15 of 19 Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Inherent soft focus edges/chromatic aberrations aside, I found the bump in resolution to be rather significant. Ye olde Blu-ray was a great disc, but viewing them both ~6ft from my 65X930E, the UHD disc blows it away IMO. I don't have a 4K projector (yet?), so 65" is as large as I can go.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-28-2018, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm 32 years old, and had never seen the film before buying it on UHD and watching it through my B7a. I was totally immersed in the picture -- very filmic to me -- from start to finish.

I thought the HDR was actually well done, especially on the Christmas lights and those nostalgic Christmas decorations and lights alone brought some warm and fuzzy feelings to me (in between all of the blood and chaos!). Black levels were impressive throughout also on my set. Another memorable HDR moment to me was when McClane ignited the lighter in the air vent. While the whole film wasn't a HDR showcase, there certainly were some good moments for it and nothing looked bad or off to me.

Certainly this isn't as sharp as some other 4k remasters like Blade Runner, but I appreciated this transfer and honestly didn't have too many issues with it. Any news on the other Die Hard films getting UHD upgrades? I'm a Die Hard fan now and can't wait to see the other films (hopefully in UHD)!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by bnmdmj; 05-28-2018 at 03:35 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-29-2018, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmdmj View Post
Any news on the other Die Hard films getting UHD upgrades? I'm a Die Hard fan now and can't wait to see the other films (hopefully in UHD)!
I'd really like to know this, too. Any word from the studio, @Ralph Potts ? Die Hard is just about the perfect movie, but Die Hard 2 and Die Hard With A Vengeance are both tremendously enjoyable despite being almost complete departures from the original. Not sure that I care enough about Live Free Or Die Hard... it was kinda fun, but doesn't hold the same appeal to me.
bnmdmj likes this.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-29-2018, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I'm glad I picked this one up. I've seen this movie 50 times I'd wager and I saw details this time that I've never noticed before. The soundtrack was great with Neural X engaged...almost good enough that I didn't miss having true Atmos or DTSX.

I think its well worth the re-buy if under $20.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #19 of 19 Old 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
I'd really like to know this, too. Any word from the studio, @Ralph Potts ? Die Hard is just about the perfect movie, but Die Hard 2 and Die Hard With A Vengeance are both tremendously enjoyable despite being almost complete departures from the original. Not sure that I care enough about Live Free Or Die Hard... it was kinda fun, but doesn't hold the same appeal to me.
Greetings,

Inquired but haven't heard back Nathan. Will keep you posted..

Regards,
bnmdmj likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page