Red Sparrow Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 05-19-2018, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6132
Red Sparrow Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this international spy thriller that tells the story of Dominika, a former Russian ballerina that is forced to enter a secret government program that thrusts her into a treacherous espionage game between Russia and the CIA.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 140 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio,, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton, Matthias Schoernaerts, Charlotte Rampling, Jeremy Irons, Mary-Louise Parker
Directed by: Francis Lawrence
Music by: James Newton Howard
Written by: Justin Haythe Based on the Novel by Jason Matthews
Region Code: A

Release Date: May 22, 2018

"Who Can You Trust?"

My Take:

Prima ballerina Dominika Egorova faces a bleak and uncertain future after she suffers an injury that ends her career. She soon turns to Sparrow School, a secret intelligence service that trains exceptional young people to use their minds and bodies as weapons. Egorova emerges as the most dangerous Sparrow after completing the sadistic training process. As she comes to terms with her new abilities, Dominika meets a CIA agent who tries to convince her that he is the only person she can trust.

Red Sparrow aims high but, comes up a bit short of the mark. It’s an espionage thriller tosses quite a bit at the wall. Unfortunately, not everything sticks. Based on the novel by Jason Matthews the plot is hazy, centering on a young Russian ballerina that is forced into retirement and then forced into becoming an operative that is placed in the middle of a search for a Russian informant that is working with the CIA. There were things about the story that I liked, mostly having to do with Jennifer Lawrence’s character and the seemingly complex, no win situation she was placed in.

The problem lies in the fact that the narrative in general, isn’t deep enough to support the variety of elements that aren’t properly fleshed out, there isn’t any meaningful suspense and, the cache of characters written around Dominka are paper thin. At two hours and twenty minutes the film runs a bit too long as well. As I said, Red Sparrow isn’t bad, it just needed a smarter, better refined script, that could have made for a very solid genre entry.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, torture, sexual content, language, and some graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 82

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Red Sparrow comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Red Sparrow was derived from 2.8K/3.4K sources, rendered from a 4K DI. From a cinematic perspective, this film was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind and that comes through in this presentation. At times the image is nearly devoid of color, while at others, has a pleasingly diverse palate, that sets the mood of a scene. Shot digitally the image has a smooth aesthetic, with clean delineation that draws out plenty of detail, in both close-up and wide-angle camera shots. Blacks are deep without compromise to fidelity, as the layers of detail seen with them is readily apparent. Contrast abounds as the richness of the depth seen in grays, whites and mid-tones pops in the film’s variety of low level sequences. Fleshtones are wonderfully lifelike, and consistent throughout the presentation.

As I alluded to earlier Red Sparrow isn’t a predominantly colorful film however its cooler chromatic hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing warmer and pleasing to the eye. There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. I wasn't especially impressed with its application although some of that may be owed to the nature of the photography. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant (such as the Russian police’s pursuit of the CIA operative through the dark streets of Moscow), but none really stood out.

This Ultra HD rendering makes the most of the film’s elements, which are excellent. Looking at the 1080p version, which is solid in its own right, the difference is noticeable, but not what I would describe as night and day. That being said, there is no question about which of the two makes for the most engaging viewing experience.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the less aggressive variety but, considering the source material that’s not a complete surprise. Its use of sounds placed above is minimal, limited predominantly to atmospheric extension. Sounds in the listening plane at ear level are busier, utilizing effects that are discrete and ambient in nature, creating an enriching level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The music score is subtly mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements without drawing attention away from the thematic details of what is transpiring onscreen. While I might have preferred a mix that made more extensive use of the Atmos platform, I found it to be effective and complimentary, given the nature of the film's production design.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 94
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:

Red Sparrow comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Framed at 2.40:1 images onscreen have excellent depth, and a stimulating visual aura. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Red Sparrow looks great on Blu-ray.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is a good one that makes excellent use of the entire surround platform. It is led by James Newton Howard’s music score that sounds fantastic as it sets the tone that drives the story’s elements. This is a fairly active and at times dynamic surround mix that employ’s the subwoofer and rear channels to stimulate the senses and draw you into the film. This creates a believable and enveloping sound field that replicates the film’s various interior/exterior environments. Low frequency effects have substantial weight and presence. The front and rear soundstages combine perfectly as sounds emanating from both during panning and dimensionally spaced sequences are seamless. Dialog and sounds within the recording are highly detailed and clearly articulated throughout the course of the presentation. I think it sounds great.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Red Sparrow Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Red Sparrow Blu-ray
    • A New Cold War: Origination and Adaptation
    • Agents Provocateurs: The Ensemble Cast
    • Tradecraft: Visual Authenticity
    • Heart of the Tempest: On Location
    • Welcome to Sparrow School: Ballet and Stunts
    • A Puzzle of Need: Post-Production
    • Director Commentary by Francis Lawrence
    • 10 Deleted Scenes (With Optional Commentary by Francis Lawrence)
    • Movies Anywhere Digital Code

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel by Jason Matthews, Red Sparrow is a fair espionage thriller that, with a better sculpted script, could have been much more. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Combo Pack that features excellent overall image quality, terrific lossless surround sound, including a Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix and a worthwhile assortment of bonus materials. Red Sparrow is easily worth the cost of a rental for fans of the genre and/or Jennifer Lawrence.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
gonzalc3 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-19-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
A nice and very fair review Ralph. Red Sparrow is not up there with the best Russia/US spy stories but I thought that it was more than decent with some very good twists and turns. J-Law, as usual, gives a fine performance. She is a very versatile actress. I would say that Red Sparrow is not a keeper but is certainly worth a look as a rental.
Rengozu and Ralph Potts like this.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-19-2018, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I’ve been eagerly waiting for this one. The trailer looked awesome for it. Too bad it seems that it ended up half baked. But, seeing as Jennifer Lawrence is on my list of actresses that I could probably watch read a phone book for two hours, I’ll be at least renting this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 05-20-2018, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
I’ve been eagerly waiting for this one. The trailer looked awesome for it. Too bad it seems that it ended up half baked. But, seeing as Jennifer Lawrence is on my list of actresses that I could probably watch read a phone book for two hours, I’ll be at least renting this.

Greetings,

Well Bernie, if that's how you feel about Jennifer Lawrence, you will most definitely enjoy this one..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 39 Old 05-20-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
I wouldn't call it half-baked. It's actually pretty good and a bit more thoughtful than many movies in this genre. As Ralph said, if you're a J-Law fan, you will love this one. She's just that good.
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #6 of 39 Old 05-20-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
First, I have read and am a fan of all three Red Sparrow books, so I was all over this one sight unseen. I was able to download it from the Kaleidescape store last Tuesday and have already watched it twice. Because I had read the books and already know the Dominka Egorova (Jennifer Lawrence) character well, I thought the movie was compelling from beginning to end. Lawrence captured the brilliant, beautiful, devious adrenaline junky Dominika to the life. The film makes some important changes from the books but still tells us what we need to know about Dominka.

I agree with Ralph that the film's UHD HDR video is demonstration class. I can't comment, though, on its TrueHD Atmos audio because the audio on the version the studio furnished Kscape and I downloaded, while lossless, is still only DTS-HD MA 5.1. I used the Dolby Surround upmixer to matrix the film's native 5.1 audio to 7.2.4 and thought it sounded decent, with good surround effects, but was nothing extra.

As Ralph noted, Red Sparrow is not a film for all tastes. For fans of the Matthews books and most Jennifer Lawrence fans, though, it is not to be missed. Highly recommended, 9 Stars out of 10!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #7 of 39 Old 05-22-2018, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
First, I have read and am a fan of all three Red Sparrow books, so I was all over this one sight unseen. I was able to download it from the Kaleidescape store last Tuesday and have already watched it twice. Because I had read the books and already know the Dominka Egorova (Jennifer Lawrence) character well, I thought the movie was compelling from beginning to end. Lawrence captured the brilliant, beautiful, devious adrenaline junky Dominika to the life. The film makes some important changes from the books but still tells us what we need to know about Dominka.

I agree with Ralph that the film's UHD HDR video is demonstration class. I can't comment, though, on its TrueHD Atmos audio because the audio on the version the studio furnished Kscape and I downloaded, while lossless, is still only DTS-HD MA 5.1. I used the Dolby Surround upmixer to matrix the film's native 5.1 audio to 7.2.4 and thought it sounded decent, with good surround effects, but was nothing extra.

As Ralph noted, Red Sparrow is not a film for all tastes. For fans of the Matthews books and most Jennifer Lawrence fans, though, it is not to be missed. Highly recommended, 9 Stars out of 10!
wow heck of a praise! I have it, and will need to put it to the top of my queue. I'm sure it will look pretty on my $7,000.00 CDN OLED
gwsat likes this.

Sony 65 A1E/Marantz 7013
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / PSB C Centre
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
Dual SVS PB 1000's / 4 SVS Elevation Atmos
X-box One X / PS4 Pro w PSVR
post #8 of 39 Old 05-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does anybody know if Fox has started supplying 4K redemption digital codes? I know they haven’t in the past, but you could get around it by redeeming the codes directly in iTunes... however, they’ve stopped allowing redemption in iTunes in their most recent releases. Would be a bummer to buy the 4K disc and only be provided with an HD digital version when a 4K digital version exists.
post #9 of 39 Old 05-22-2018, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker1225 View Post
Does anybody know if Fox has started supplying 4K redemption digital codes? I know they haven’t in the past, but you could get around it by redeeming the codes directly in iTunes... however, they’ve stopped allowing redemption in iTunes in their most recent releases. Would be a bummer to buy the 4K disc and only be provided with an HD digital version when a 4K digital version exists.
This title redeems for HDX at Vudu.
post #10 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
You were way too generous with this Ralph. Red Turkey is more like it.
Ralph Potts and JeffR1 like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #11 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Greetings,

Ouch! Thanks as always for chiming in thehun.

Regards,
thehun likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Apostasy, shame on you! More seriously, although I loved every minute of Red Sparrow I would be the first to acknowledge that it is not for all tastes. For lovers of noir spy novels and fans of Jennifer Lawrence, though, it is a lot of fun.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #13 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Apostasy, shame on you! More seriously, although I loved every minute of Red Sparrow I would be the first to acknowledge that it is not for all tastes. For lovers of noir spy novels and fans of Jennifer Lawrence, though, it is a lot of fun.
That's a slippery slope you going there, just agree to disagree and move on...

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #14 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
^^^
+1. I'm a "lover of spy novels", (noir and otherwise), and I find this flick to be sorely lacking in many regards. It has nothing to do with taste, its a question of quality storytelling.
post #15 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 4659
I'm in. Jennifer can just stand there and breath, and I'll watch it......
Rengozu likes this.

Spoiler!
post #16 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
That's a slippery slope you going there, just agree to disagree and move on...
You know me better than that, partner.

post #17 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked: 16086
Is this that Scarlett Johansson movie about a female Russian assassin who becomes an Avenger? Looks like a rental.

post #18 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
^^^
+1. I'm a "lover of spy novels", (noir and otherwise), and I find this flick to be sorely lacking in many regards. It has nothing to do with taste, its a question of quality storytelling.
I beg to disagree, rather strongly.

I almost didn't see "Red Sparrow" because of the poor reviews. I am so glad I did.

I found Red Sparrow to be somewhat similar in style to "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy," but actually more coherent. The story was fine, the cinematography was very good and the acting was good, too. The characters were not as fleshed out as in something like "Moonlight," but they were still better than what I usually see in this genre.

All in all, this was perhaps the best spy movie I've seen in a few years -- for instance, "Red Sparrow" was considerably better than the predictable, tepid "Bridge of Spies," the last Soviet era spy movie I've seen.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!
Jive Turkey and gwsat like this.
post #19 of 39 Old 05-24-2018, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
I beg to disagree, rather strongly.

I almost didn't see "Red Sparrow" because of the poor reviews. I am so glad I did. All in all, this was perhaps the best spy movie I've seen in a few years...
I have never been more confused about movies in my life. Ghost in the Shell bombed with the reviewers. I saw it streaming, watched it again, then rented the 4K disc, watched it twice, then bought the 4K disc and have seen it four more times. It's like Resident Evil for me, I just can't get enough.

I saw Red Sparrow and now I'm probably going to pick this one up as well. With plenty of twists and like some of you said, an actual, coherent and logical story. It's the complete opposite of that Last Jedi film. :/
post #20 of 39 Old 05-27-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
I found this to be quite confusing, but I have a preconception of spy movies in that respect, so I just assume they will be confusing, and so they are _ this was certainly no exception.
I sat back and genuinely tried to keep an open mind about the story line, trying to note all the names, facts and places _ so in the end, it all made sense, but that didn't happen, if anything, it made it even worse.
Because of all that, I did not enjoy it...

Too much blood and flesh for my liking too.

I did laugh at the use of the antiquated floppy discs as props.
Did the writer/director think that movie was about the cold war (still going on), that the use a floppy disc was correct ???
post #21 of 39 Old 05-29-2018, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I finally watched this last night. In a single word I would say that this movie was "underwhelming". The story was not easy to follow - sometimes that is good for a movie; in this case it was just confusing.

I much preferred the other female spy movie that came out in the past year- Atomic Blonde.
pspoar likes this.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #22 of 39 Old 05-30-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Too much blood and flesh for my liking too.
That is a foreign concept to me.
post #23 of 39 Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
I'm in. Jennifer can just stand there and breath, and I'll watch it......
She does more than breathing in this movie, that's for sure.
Jive Turkey and RagtopFE like this.

Samsung UN65JS8500, Onkyo TX-NR747, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung UBD-K8500, Focal speakers, SVS dual subs.
post #24 of 39 Old 06-11-2018, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Watched this one with the wife last night. We thought it was pretty good—the picture quality was really good. The story was indeed not always easy to follow—and my wife and I would pause and discuss story elements multiple times throughout the film to make sure we fully understood where we were. I think these discussions with the wife are what made the experience more enjoyable though. Had I watched the movie alone straight through, I may not have liked it as much.

Needless to say, she was not a fan of J-Law’s more *suggestive* moments. Frankly, neither was I, but I understand the role these moments played in making us understand what separated the Sparrows from other covert operatives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #25 of 39 Old 06-11-2018, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I prefer the extended vesion of SALT. Or is it the Director’s cut? Any version of SALT better than this one.
post #26 of 39 Old 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Watched this one with the wife last night. We thought it was pretty good—the picture quality was really good. The story was indeed not always easy to follow—and my wife and I would pause and discuss story elements multiple times throughout the film to make sure we fully understood where we were. I think these discussions with the wife are what made the experience more enjoyable though. Had I watched the movie alone straight through, I may not have liked it as much.

Needless to say, she was not a fan of J-Law’s more *suggestive* moments. Frankly, neither was I, but I understand the role these moments played in making us understand what separated the Sparrows from other covert operatives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I liked it just fine....it surely took some paying attention and a couple of rewinds here and there to track all of the story. JLaw was very sexy.....though smoking sure tempers that for me a bit.

Pretty sure I'd watch this a second time.

Edit: Thanks to my daughter and her Fathers Day gift card, picked up "Red Sparrow" and "10 Cloverfield Lane" on UHD. Enjoyed them both on Bluray rentals, now time to see and hear them mo' betterly.
BrolicBeast likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 06-16-2018 at 07:48 AM.
post #27 of 39 Old 06-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 279
If anyone was on the fence with this one, Amazon Prime sale might make it worth your while now.
ian c 2 likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #28 of 39 Old 06-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I liked it just fine....it surely took some paying attention and a couple of rewinds here and there to track all of the story. JLaw was very sexy.....though smoking sure tempers that for me a bit.

Pretty sure I'd watch this a second time.
Although I loved Red Sparrow and Jennifer Lawrence's performance in it, the smoking scenes were a turnoff for me too.

post #29 of 39 Old 06-12-2018, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3289 Post(s)
Liked: 2145
I watched this the other night I enjoyed it. I thought JL did a great job. Will watch again

Sent from my Nokia 1610
audiofan1 likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #30 of 39 Old 06-12-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Glad to see, that many of You did enjoy-it

For myself, it is now on the back burner again.
Buying too many, and not enough time to watch them
But now, looking forward to this one

This week-end, it will be my first 4K/UHD, after I install my new e-shift JVC projector
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-of...ay-review.html

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page