56Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 6507
Fury Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray debut of this gritty war drama written and directed by David Ayer, which is set in April,1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) commands a Sherman tank and her five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Outnumbered and outgunned, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 135 minutes
Genre: Drama/War

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English DTS-HD 5.1 Master audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, Michael Pena, Jon Bernthal
Written & Directed by: David Ayer
Music by: Steven Price
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: May 22, 2018

"Best Job I Ever Had…"

My Take:

I reviewed Fury’s 2015 Blu-ray release, and have included my comments from that review here. Ratings for film, and bonus content will be the same, as they are identical to that release. New comments and ratings for the Ultra HD video and Dolby Atmos mix are below.

April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and his five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Out-numbered, out-gunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

Films that depict the horrors of war can sometimes have a way of sticking with you long after seeing them. This is especially true in the case of World War II which left so many soldiers and civilians dead in its wake. Fury doesn’t attempt to tell a broad story of the war but instead focuses on the members of a Sherman Tank crew in Germany in 1945. Battle hardened and battle weary this group has managed to survive and remain together. As with most of the men that fought for our country they came from different backgrounds and parts of the country. The glue that has holds them together is their leader Sgt. Collier, a man who says what he means and means what he says. His crew abides by his lead whatever the cost. When not on the lines of battle his subordinates share an eyebrow raising esprit de corps.

Writer/director David Ayer sidesteps early character development in favor of opening with the grim and visceral realties of war. People die. At well over two hours Ayer ensures that the mayhem is reinforced while slowly dissecting the essence of his five primary characters four of whom, frankly, aren’t very likeable. Rather than an opus like Saving Private Ryan Fury is a snapshot with a simple theme that revolves around loss of innocence in the face of tragedy during one of our country’s worst conflicts. I saw Fury with my wife in the theater and while we liked it we didn’t love it.

The lack of a connection to these men was difficult especially given the nature of how they were drawn. Young Norman, the clerk typist with 8 weeks in the Army, was set as the identifying figure whose soul was still intact. This seemed to pervade with only mere glimmers that exposed the humanity of Norman’s new cohorts. I think that part of the reason the film didn’t resonate quite so deeply was that perhaps we were expecting a bit more Saving Private Ryan. Yeah, war is hell but these guys have endured through meaningful kinship born out of making the best of an imaginable situation.

Watching Fury for the second time I gleaned a bit more from its series of a smaller moments that emphasized the unspoken bond shared by Sgt. Collier, “Bible”, “Gordo” and “Coon-ass”. This wasn’t born out of typically portrayed comradeship but remained just below the surface, revealed out of necessity as dictated by an event or moment. THIS is where the film shines. Watching as Norman comes to understand this under the direst of conditions is what elevates the story.

The depiction of war is as graphic and bleak as I have seen. There is an earthy and incidental quality to the dialogue which enriches the proceedings. The performances across the board are excellent and aptly coincide with the film’s portrait of the rigors of war and the men who lived and died defending our freedom. Fury isn’t a perfect film but there is a tangibility to it that extends beyond its scope. My initial feeling was that this isn’t a film that would hold up under repeat viewings. My opinion has changed. I look forward to sitting down with it again if not only to revel in the wonderful performances and visceral reminder of the sacrifices made by so many.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong sequences of war violence, some grisly images, and language throughout.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Fury comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray Fury was derived from its original source and finished on a 4K Digital Intermediate.

Fury is a period war drama that adheres to relatively cooler chromatic schemes, with the exception of sequences that call for richer color to provide thematic emphasis, which doesn't make for especially eye- catching levels of color, but this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a noticeable increase in detail the image appears sharper when compared to the 1080p version. The plethora of close up camera shots reveal plenty of subtle refinement and textures within the image. Primary colors like blue and red are pleasingly rich while whites appear bright and punchy.

The added dimension in the grays, blacks, and shadows gives the image excellent depth. The exterior sequences with their overcast skies, moody visual aesthetic and razor sharpness looked terrific. The film has a variety of sequences that take advantage of high dynamic range. The contrast between the shadow details, bright flashes, firelight and glistening metal objects gives the image lots of visual pop.

The 1080p rendering of Fury is quite good so the difference between the two isn't night and day, but overall, I was very pleased with this presentation, finding that is easily trumps the Blu-ray.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos soundtrack, I was reminded of several recent catalog titles that I have reviewed which received new Dolby Atmos mixes. Fury already had a top notch 5.1 channel surround mix so I wondered what the application of object placed sounds would add. I was very pleased with how active the mix is. The use of overhead sound objects elevates proportional correlation. When compared to the original 5.1 track the Atmos mix offers a noticeable improvement by opening up the soundstage, elevating the perception of low level detail and seemingly offering broader dynamic range.

The film is loaded with atmospherics, off screen cues and discrete sound effects that when applied using the freedom of object-based placement adds an enriching layer to the soundtrack. This is noticeable right from the opening sequence with noteworthy examples being found throughout (the first tank engagement in chapter 4 sounds great). I also felt that the new track added a tangible layer to low frequency effects providing improved depth that sounded terrific.

As good as the original lossless mix sounds, the Atmos mix adds a definable element that brings the listening experience up a notch.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Fury Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Fury Blu-ray
  • (HD) *Exclusive* 16 deleted/extended scenes
  • (HD) *Exclusive* Photo Gallery
  • (HD) *Exclusive* Director’s Combat Journal – 17 minute featurette
  • (HD) *Exclusive* Armored Warriors: The real men inside the Shermans – 12 minute featurette
  • (HD) *Exclusive* Taming the beast: How to drive, fire, & shoot inside a 30 ton tank – 12 minute featurette
  • (HD) Blood Brothers – 11 minute featurette
    Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Written and Directed by David Ayer Fury is a gritty and unflinching war drama that features powerful performances, apt direction and solid production elements. It makes its debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent Ultra HD video, an entertaining and complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and legacy bonus supplements. If you’re a fan and are equipped to take advantage of the Ultra HD/Dolby Atmos upgrades, this Ultra HD release is well worth considering.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Great review Ralph. Thank`s again. Fury is an excellent movie.
post #3 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 347
So the UHD corrects the black crush seen on the previous US release?
AVfile likes this.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
Greetings,

I didn't have any issues with black crush.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 816
This one is on the way... one of many UHD purchases this month.

I haven't seen it... and while I'm not expecting Saving Private Ryan I am expecting a good movie that looks great on the OLED. The Atmos track is a big plus too.

Thanks for the review!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #6 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just ordered the 4K version. I was a tanker while in the Army. I really enjoyed the Blu-Ray version, so I know it will be great.

Samsung UN65MU8000, C61K
DTV HR 54 with 6 TB External HD, HR 24 in spare rooms
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player, Roku Ultra
Denon AVR X1200W, Klipsch R-28F, R-25C, R-10SW, R-12SW, R-15M, RP-140SA
Samsung UN55HU6950 + SEK-3500U, DTV HR 24, Samsung Soundbar - HW430 - Master Bedroom
post #7 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2080
Thanks Ralph Potts! Like the review and need to feed my Atmos addiction. Will look to pick this great movie up, and double dip.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I admit i was bored to death with Fury. That being said the sound is one of the best in any movie. My system is rocking and rolling.
Looking forward to watching the remaster and giving it another go on my 65A1E.
Ralph Potts and Rengozu like this.

Sony 65 A1E/LG 55 C9
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / PSB C Centre
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
Dual SVS PB 1000's / 4 SVS Elevation Atmos
Marantz 7013
post #9 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I've enjoyed this movie twice on bluray and look forward to the UHD. I'd love to hear Film Mixer's thoughts as he was resposible for the original audio mix.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #10 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Fury Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I didn't have any issues with black crush.

Regards,
Hello Ralph,
This was a big issue for some so I will seek further clarification. Do you acknowledge the black crush on the previous blu-ray but find it to be ameliorated by this new UHD version?
Stefan

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer

Last edited by AVfile; 05-22-2018 at 08:08 PM.
post #11 of 43 Old 05-22-2018, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Really enjoyed this movie and the audio is fantastic, can't wait to experience the Atmos track along with a refined video presentation.

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #12 of 43 Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Actually haven't seen this one at all, but after Ryan, Hacksaw, and Dunkirk (and all the others), I'm a little war'd out for the moment. So while not a rush out and grab day 1 for me, but I'll probably have to pick it up later if only just to check out this soundtrack.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #13 of 43 Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Hello Ralph,
This was a big issue for some so I will seek further clarification. Do you acknowledge the black crush on the previous blu-ray but find it to be ameliorated by this new UHD version?
Stefan
Greetings,

Stefan, I didn't note any egregious issues on the Blu-ray. Here is the link my original review:

Fury Blu-ray Review

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 43 Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Yeah!! It’s been confirmed unanimously in the blu-ray.com thread that the black crush is now a thing of the past
DarthDoxie likes this.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #15 of 43 Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Yeah!! It’s been confirmed unanimously in the blu-ray.com thread that the black crush is now a thing of the past

Saw that too and the included BR is also reportedly correct. The black crush on the original US release was widely reported and even acknowledged by Sony but never corrected. The German release handled the black levels better but couldn't bring myself to import, glad I waited for the UHD.
AVfile likes this.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #16 of 43 Old 05-24-2018, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
glad I waited for the UHD.
… Good decision !

[quote=Ralph Potts;56226980]

[center]

My Take:

The performances across the board are excellent and aptly coincide with the film’s portrait of the rigors of war and the men who lived and died defending our freedom. Fury isn’t a perfect film but there is a tangibility to it that extends beyond its scope. My initial feeling was that this isn’t a film that would hold up under repeat viewings. My opinion has changed. I look forward to sitting down with it again if not only to revel in the wonderful performances and visceral reminder of the sacrifices made by so many.

this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a noticeable increase in detail the image appears sharper when compared to the 1080p version.

The film has a variety of sequences that take advantage of high dynamic range. The contrast between the shadow details, bright flashes, firelight and glistening metal objects gives the image lots of visual pop.

As good as the original lossless mix sounds, the Atmos mix adds a definable element that brings the listening experience up a notch.

Final Thoughts:

If you’re a fan and are equipped to take advantage of the Ultra HD/Dolby Atmos upgrades, this Ultra HD release is well worth considering.

[quote]

… Another Great Review, Thanks Ralph ! This was one film I really wanted to watch in UHD with it's added depth and definition and the more immersive Atmos Sound Track. IMO you did this movie "Good" by stating this "My initial feeling was that this isn’t a film that would hold up under repeat viewings. My opinion has changed. I look forward to sitting down with it again if not only to revel in the wonderful performances and visceral reminder of the sacrifices made by so many".
Ralph Potts and SteveC356 like this.

Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha 3060, Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, LG 65E7P, Sony UBP-X800

Last edited by TomcatTLC; 05-24-2018 at 05:40 AM.
post #17 of 43 Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Nice to see that they're updating some of these antiquated sound mixes for the modern age.
Ralph Potts and Jive Turkey like this.
post #18 of 43 Old 05-29-2018, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Saw that too and the included BR is also reportedly correct. The black crush on the original US release was widely reported and even acknowledged by Sony but never corrected. The German release handled the black levels better but couldn't bring myself to import, glad I waited for the UHD.

Actually they did correct it...just never said anything. I watched the original release from Redbox and it suffered from Black Crush. Found Fury at Walmart during last Black Friday and bought it cheap. That release did not have the Black Crush was beautiful.
AVfile likes this.
post #19 of 43 Old 05-30-2018, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Just picked this up today! Recently, I can't get enough of war movies! I saw this initially as a rental from Netflix and wanted to purchase it but never did. May was an expensive month for 4K UHD.
BrolicBeast and TravisPNW like this.
post #20 of 43 Old 06-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Yeah I picked it up last week on release as part of the expensive month of May and just watched it last night... my first viewing.

I really enjoyed it. The movie was great... visuals were good and the Atmos track was top notch.

The case says "best war movie since SPR and Platoon" and I'd definitely rank it right up there with them.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #21 of 43 Old 06-02-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
Just picked this up today! Recently, I can't get enough of war movies! I saw this initially as a rental from Netflix and wanted to purchase it but never did. May was an expensive month for 4K UHD.

Watched "Lone Survivor" (for the third time overall) on UHD today. Outstanding video and audio. My thanks to whoever Produced this one, and to Chadb. He really knows how to crank the best out of a RS400.
Ralph Potts likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #22 of 43 Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked: 2360
I watched this UHD yesterday and thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it. As a movie, I think it really shines because of its focus on this small team of battle-worn soldiers. I’d put it up there with SPR as a favorite of the genre.

The A/V in this film was really really done well. I especially loved the Atmos mix—as I was watching the first major tank encounter, all I could think was: I can’t wait to share this excellence with others! It’s not a movie you wan watch straight through often due to the nature of the content, but it tells a really good story, and the audio and video really help tell that story in a “oh my gosh” way. There were a few moments where my entire body was tensed up and I didn’t realize it until after the scenes passed and my body started relaxing itself. Talk about immersion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #23 of 43 Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I watched this UHD yesterday and thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it. As a movie, I think it really shines because of its focus on this small team of battle-worn soldiers. I’d put it up there with SPR as a favorite of the genre.

The A/V in this film was really really done well. I especially loved the Atmos mix—as I was watching the first major tank encounter, all I could think was: I can’t wait to share this excellence with others! It’s not a movie you wan watch straight through often due to the nature of the content, but it tells a really good story, and the audio and video really help tell that story in a “oh my gosh” way. There were a few moments where my entire body was tensed up and I didn’t realize it until after the scenes passed and my body started relaxing itself. Talk about immersion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Greetings,

Awesome. Glad to hear it Matt! Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 2401
This maybe the most immersive soundtrack that I've heard yet from Dolby Atmos.
post #25 of 43 Old 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked: 3859
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
This maybe the most immersive soundtrack that I've heard yet from Dolby Atmos.

Thanks

Now, I cant wait for local source, and have to get-it from Amazon.ca

Thanks for the info, another double dib on my part.

Ray
post #26 of 43 Old 08-15-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Thanks

Now, I cant wait for local source, and have to get-it from Amazon.ca

Thanks for the info, another double dib on my part.

Ray
I bought Fury 4K UHD used on ebay for under $15 and found it a very satisfying movie. I guiltily admit I take pleasure in watching Nazis being dispatched. My usual disdain for gratuitous violence goes out the window.

World War II was the last satisfying war the US engaged in. Good and evil were clearly defined and the ending was a triumph of good.

Fury takes place in April, 1945 after the Battle of the Bulge, Hitler's most massive attempt to stop the loss of the war. The film is likely about Battle of Bautzen: The last "successful" German panzer-offensive in Bautzen ends with the city recaptured. The Germans had built Tiger tanks which were larger, more heavily armored and carried a more powerful cannon than American tanks. At this point in the war Nazis were killing and hanging the bodies of Germans they deemed insufficiently supportive of the war effort.

Brad Pit played Wardaddy, a mature leader as the tank commander. Shia LeBouf played Bible, a despicable soldier with no moral compass, and Logan Lerman played Norman, a fresh faced naive young soldier who had been trained as a clerk but assigned to a battle tested tank crew. Norman was a character for the audience to like and identify with.

When I was young I had met tank crew member who told how stuffy, jarring and uncomfortable it was to be in a tank.

WWII tank battles from the movie Patton to Saving Private Ryan are intense and loud. They engage the audience on a visceral level. Should you want to know what it feels like to be a soldier at war this movie is a better way to gain the experience without being a soldier at war.
darthray likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #27 of 43 Old 08-15-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 6056
Just got back from Best Buy with this movie. Wanted to use a $5 coupon. This looks like my kind of flick!
Appreciate all the good input from everyone that posted here.

Spoiler!
post #28 of 43 Old 08-15-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I bought Fury 4K UHD used on ebay for under $15 and found it a very satisfying movie. I guiltily admit I take pleasure in watching Nazis being dispatched. My usual disdain for gratuitous violence goes out the window.

World War II was the last satisfying war the US engaged in. Good and evil were clearly defined and the ending was a triumph of good.

Fury takes place in April, 1945 after the Battle of the Bulge, Hitler's most massive attempt to stop the loss of the war. The film is likely about Battle of Bautzen: The last "successful" German panzer-offensive in Bautzen ends with the city recaptured. The Germans had built Tiger tanks which were larger, more heavily armored and carried a more powerful cannon than American tanks. At this point in the war Nazis were killing and hanging the bodies of Germans they deemed insufficiently supportive of the war effort.

Brad Pit played Wardaddy, a mature leader as the tank commander. Shia LeBouf played Bible, a despicable soldier with no moral compass, and Logan Lerman played Norman, a fresh faced naive young soldier who had been trained as a clerk but assigned to a battle tested tank crew. Norman was a character for the audience to like and identify with.

When I was young I had met tank crew member who told how stuffy, jarring and uncomfortable it was to be in a tank.

WWII tank battles from the movie Patton to Saving Private Ryan are intense and loud. They engage the audience on a visceral level. Should you want to know what it feels like to be a soldier at war this movie is a better way to gain the experience without being a soldier at war.

First, Thank You for taking the time for this long post

As an ex service member, I am very aware of the conditions of war.
Served for 21 years, and been retire for the last 13.

Serving as a tank crew member (in general, not me), not only you are in cramp condition, you also have the lowest Life expectancy, even lower than the Infantry.
I was listening to a radio documentary, and found out that only one tank (from memory), made-it from D-day to Berlin.
And it was a Canadian tank, not that it really matter, since all allies were in this together.

Like you said, during that war, you knew who the enemies were, not like now a day, when you think you protecting a civilian that could well be the enemy you are seeking, times have in deed change for the worst

A few reasons, that this movie is so special to me

Ray
rboster likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 08-15-2018 at 07:42 PM.
post #29 of 43 Old 08-15-2018, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
First, Thank You for taking the time for this long post

As an ex service member, I am very aware of the conditions of war.
Served for 21 years, and been retire for the last 13.

Serving as a tank crew member (in general, not me), not only you are in cramp condition, you also have the lowest Life expectancy, even lower than the Infantry.
I was listening to a radio documentary, and found out that only one tank (from memory), made-it from D-day to Berlin.
And it was a Canadian tank, not that it really matter, since all allies were in this together.

Like you said, during that war, you knew who the enemies were, not like now a day, when you think you protecting a civilian that could well be the enemy you are seeking, times have in deed change for the worst

A few reasons, that this movie is so special to me

Ray
Ray,

I appreciate your reply and glad my opinionated post resonated with you. I grew up in Louisville near Fort Knox where tank crews were trained. The army sent me to Medical Field Services School and trained me as a pharmacist. I ran a clinic pharmacy in Germany and then went on to Yale Medical School, Department of Public Health. Best wishes.
darthray likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #30 of 43 Old 08-16-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Ray,

I appreciate your reply and glad my opinionated post resonated with you. I grew up in Louisville near Fort Knox where tank crews were trained. The army sent me to Medical Field Services School and trained me as a pharmacist. I ran a clinic pharmacy in Germany and then went on to Yale Medical School, Department of Public Health. Best wishes.

And also best wishes to you too.

Did a tour in the Golf War, to clean-up the mess (Combat Engineer Regiment).
Came back with very bad lungs, and over the years some shake (2000 Oil Well fire, trace chemical war fare and who known's what else).
Around here, they call me "Slim Shaky or Shaky Ray"
And did a tour , in a support role for Afghanistan.

That said, I never regretted my serving time, very proud of-it, my conditions are what I call, Battle Scars.

Look like you are doing well, and glad to see-it

Take care, and all the best my Brother in Arm from an allied Country.

Ray
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 08-16-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page