Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 05-30-2018, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6120
Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection which marks the debut of all four films on Ultra HD Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal – 1993, 1997, 2001, 2015
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 474 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure/Horror

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1, 2..00:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s):
Subtitles:
Starring: Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Richard Attenborough, Vince Vaughn, Julianne Moore, Tea Leoni, William H. Macy, Ariana Richards, Joseph Mazzello, Samuel L. Jackson, Wayne Knight, Martin Ferrero, Arliss Howard, Richard Schiff, Pete Postlethwaite, Peter Stormare, Vanessa Lee Carter, Michael Jeter, Alessandro Nivola, Trevor Morgan, Chris Pratt, Dallas Bryce Howard, Vincent D'Onofrio, Ty Simpkins, Nick Robinson, Omar Sy, BD wong, Irrfan Khan
Directed by: Steven Spielberg, Joe Johnston, Colin Trevorrow
Music by: John Williams, Michael Giacchino
Written by: Michael Crichton, David Koepp, Peter Buchman, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Derek Connolly, Colin Trevorrow
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 22, 2018

"Life Finds a Way"

My Take:

I reviewed The Jurassic Park Trilogy and Jurassic World’s previous Blu-ray releases, and have included my comments from those reviews here. Ratings for film, and bonus content will be the same, as they are identical to the earlier releases. New comments and ratings for the Ultra HD video and DTS:X mixes are below.

Jurassic Park: One of the most successful films in worldwide box office history, Jurassic Park remains a most compelling and spectacular experience. This thrilling adventure features Sam Neil, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, and Richard Attenborough. Featuring incredible special effects and action-packed drama, Jurassic Park takes you to a remote island where an amazing theme park with living dinosaurs is about to turn deadly, as five people must battle to survive among the prehistoric predators. Rediscover the breathtaking adventure you'll want to experience again and again.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park: Director Steven Spielberg takes us back to the scene of Jurassic Park in The Lost World, the blockbuster sequel with even more dinosaurs, more action and more breathtaking visual effects than its record-breaking predecessor. The Lost World remains among the most successful films of all time and features an all-star cast including Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore and Pete Postlethwaite. It has been four years since the disaster at Jurassic Park and two groups are in a race against time that will determine the fate of the remote island's prehistoric inhabitants.

Jurassic Park III: Adventure runs wild when renowned paleontologist Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) agrees to accompany a wealthy adventurer (William H. Macy) and his wife (Tea Leoni) on an aerial tour of Isla Sorna, InGen's former breeding ground for prehistoric creatures. But when they're terrifyingly stranded, Dr. Grant discovers that his hosts are not what they seem, and the island's native inhabitants are smarter, faster, fiercer and more brutal than he ever imagined in this heart-stomping thriller.

Jurassic World: The original Jurassic Park took you to an amazing theme park on a remote island where dinosaurs once again roamed the Earth. After a series of events left five people battling to survive among the prehistoric predators the park was abandoned. Now, 22 years later, an even bigger and enormously popular attraction has risen on Isla Nubar: Jurassic World. To keep attendance high, the park operators introduce a new, genetically modified hybrid creature called Indominus Rex. Bigger, stronger and far more intelligent than any dinosaur that ever walked the earth; the secretive new breed also proves more dangerous than anyone ever anticipated. When the massive creature escapes, chaos erupts across the island. Now it’s up to Owen (Chris Pratt) and Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) to save the park’s tourists from an all-out prehistoric assault.

I have clear recollections of seeing Jurassic Park during its theatrical release back in 1993. I absolutely loved it. I went in expecting sci-fi horror about dinosaurs and got a wonderfully fulfilling and human story that blends memorable elements of levity, suspense and drama that are underscored by perfectly drawn characters (including the 30 foot tall T-Rex). Based upon Michael Crichton’s book the screenplay, which he co-wrote, expertly draws you in by establishing a viable connection to the characters of Ian, John, Ellie, and Alan which is then followed up by the integration of Alan’s initially reluctant, but essential bond formed with Tim and Lex. This serves as the foundation for some of the film’s best moments and in my opinion is one of the defining elements that set Jurassic Park apart from the other films in the series. These are endearing characters that are brought to life not only through excellent writing but marvelous performances and spot on direction. Jurassic Park remains my favorite of all the films in the series. For me, Jurassic Park is one of those movies with the ability to elicit the same reactions no matter how many times I watch it.

Four years later Jurassic Park: The Lost World hit theaters and of course we were there. Like the first film it was an effects laden experience that featured an array of prehistoric creatures, including a pair of lethal T-Rexes. The problem is that the story lacked the rewarding character interaction, effecting suspense and defining human element that made the original feel fresh. This film plays out more like a “paint by the numbers” monster movie although I will admit that it has its moments. I much preferred Ian when he was trading quips with John, antagonizing Alan or quoting his theories on Chaos. Taking on the central role which included being an absentee father (thrust into watching his teenage daughter), doting boyfriend and rescuing hero wound up being a tall order. I like Jeff Goldblum and all things considered he does okay in his reprisal of Ian Malcolm. The script lacks focus and goes off in too many directions, the worst of which is the ridiculous third act which takes place in San Diego. Outside of Goldblum and co-star Julianne Moore the cast is comprised of quality character actors such as Arliss Howard, Pete Postlethwaite, Richard Schiff and Peter Stormare. Cameos by Richard Attenborough, Ariana Richards and Joseph Mazzello are tossed in but add nothing viable to the proceedings. Shortcomings aside it IS Jurassic Park and there is plenty of teeth gnashing dinosaur action and engaging special effects which makes it fun to watch.

When Jurassic Park III rolled around DVD, the new digital optical disc medium, was in full swing so I opted to just wait and check it out on home video. Directed by Joe Johnston with Steven Spielberg serving as executive producer Jurassic Park III has a bit of a different feel from the first two films. It eschews the more epic scope in favor of a simple storyline that brings back some levity and dials up the action. At only 90 minutes little time is wasted before things get going. Introductions are brief and the new force to be reckoned with, in this case a rather nasty Spinosaurus, is quick established as the villain. The character of Alan Grant (Sam Neil) is brought back which lends an air of nostalgia and credibility to the story. The remaining members of the cast, William H. Macy, Tea Leoni, Trevor Morgan and Alessandro Nivola are solid and the script stays on point. Like The Lost World this has a sci-fi monster movie feel however its rooted more in the action genre which I think makes it more effective and ultimately entertaining.

Jurassic World doesn't match the original's well rounded characters, narrative depth and suspenseful thrills but it is the epitome of a summer blockbuster. Featuring ratcheted up special effects, straight to the point action and clearly defined thematic elements (hero, heroine, badass monster, mustache twirling villain). Being a fan of the series I was at the theater to catch this opening weekend with my family. We all enjoyed it. I appreciated the references to Jurassic Park that were sprinkled here and there, despite the fact that they may or may not have made sense (working 20 plus year old battery powered goggles and jeep that starts and runs simply by installing a new battery). The connection to some of the plot points from the original were integrated well and I liked the use of the raptor element. The Indominus Rex, although slightly overdone, made a worthy addition to the Jurassic Park super beasty mythos.

As you'd expect the film's production elements are excellent and contributory, with the CGI based creatures being as integral as the actors themselves. Speaking of which Chris Pratt was the spot on choice to play Owen. Surprisingly I found Dallas Bryce Howard to be every bit his equal sharing not only solid chemistry with him but adding the right amount of toughness, sex appeal and physicality to her character. Jurassic World falls second in line in the Jurassic Park film series in my humble opinion. It's a worthy addition to the series and makes for pitch perfect popcorn entertainment that has excellent replay value.

The Limited Edition 25th Anniversary Collection comes housed in a digibook keep case that features “pages” for each of the discs to slip into. It, along with the accompanying slipcover is quite attractive and sturdy.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and peril.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

DTS:X Rating: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS:X/7.1 Master Audio sound.

For their presentation in Ultra HD, Jurassic Park, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park III and Jurassic World were rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K.

It's important to note that the ultimate goal for any release on home video is to present a film in the highest possible quality based upon its original elements. The first three films especially, have an aesthetic that incorporates film grain and the use of optics that won't result in the type of high gloss, tack-like sharpness of a film shot using digital cameras. This isn't a problem and shouldn't be seen as such.

I watched these films in order during my evaluation and found that predominantly speaking the first three films contain many of the same characteristics. The Lost World: Jurassic Park shines the brightest while Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III are a step below in terms of perceivable resolution and the application of high dynamic range.

I have seen Jurassic Park countless times in standard and high definition. Looking at the film's opening moments, the improvement in delineation was noticeable. Globally speaking the increase in resolution isn't always on display, especially in wide angle effects shots, although I believe that this is innate to the photography. In many respects, the image is emboldened with a discernible boost to definition. I could detect some finer details present during interior shots and in backgrounds. The low-level exterior shots of the various landscapes didn’t offer a marked improvement in dimension. Resolution is primarily stable, with some innate softening cropping up, imparting a discernible softness. Color reproduction benefited from the wider color gamut, especially blues, and reds which pop nicely. The print could use a tuck here and there and those with sharp eye may pick up on some minor artifacts but, nothing overtly problematic.

I found the presentation to be very tame in terms of its use of dynamic highlights, both bright and dark, however some of that is owed to the nature of the photography. Overall the image didn't make any visually compelling use of interstitial black levels offset by vivid bright elements. In general, the image looked fine and, in most respects made for a noteworthy improvement when compared to the Blu-ray rendering. UHD Video Rating = 78

Right from the opening minutes The Lost World: Jurassic Park looked appreciably better than Jurassic Park. From a cinematic perspective, these films were shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind, and that comes through in each presentation. This easily bests the 1080p version, offering imagery that lifts the vail. I wouldn’t describe it as overtly colorful, however, there are elements, where the palate of autumn-based hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red/green benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing slightly warmer and pleasing to the eye. Resolution gets a noticeable boost as well. Close-ups and mid-level shots offer improved refinement and deeper resolvable texture on surfaces and physical features when compared to the Blu-ray.

There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant where natural and artificial light looked terrific against the gray/dark elements. The film’s scenes that take place in the light of day appeared more vibrant and tonally gradational compared to the Blu-ray. Its predominating low-level sequences had excellent depth of field and emboldened contrast. I think that of the first three films The Lost World: Jurassic Park benefitted the most from the Ultra HD treatment. UHD Video Rating = 90

Jurassic Park III is the weak link in the video chain. In looking at the opening moments the first thing that struck me was that there wasn't an appreciable uptick in sharpness and detail compared to the Blu-ray. Colors, especially primary and earth tones, were mildly warmer, while fleshtones looked about the same, which is to say, a bit pallid, but not overtly unnatural. Upon closer inspection, I could make out finer details in facial features and clothing but this predominantly came during close ups. On occasion, discernible improvements in depth could be seen in wide angle shots such as those taking place in the jungle but, in most respects, I saw only incremental differences in apparent resolution when checking select scenes from the UHD and Blu-ray.

I also found the presentation to be very tame in terms of its use of dynamic highlights, both bright and dark. I didn’t find the presentation to make any visually compelling use of interstitial black levels offset by vivid bright elements. Overall the image appeared flat when compared to The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Some of this is owed to the original source but, truth be told there is little about this Ultra HD presentation that impressed me. UHD Video Rating = 70

Jurassic World was derived from a mix of 2.4K/Film sources and its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray is solid. The film has a teal splashed aesthetic, making use of dark greens, black, gray and splashes of vivid color. This can be a somewhat dark film, and its low-level sequences had excellent depth and dimension.

The use of HDR was on the reserved side for the most part. On occasion there was visually compelling use of interstitial black levels offset by vivid bright elements, such as the raptor jungle hunt sequence. The use of shadows mixed with light looked very natural.

Resolution gets a boost although the differences between the UHD and 1080p renderings aren’t quite night and day. Close-ups tend to look amazing, with resolvable texture visible in the various interior sets, and physical features being quite obvious. The exterior shots of the crowded park looked good enough to reach out and touch. UHD Video Rating = 92

The question now becomes are these rendering good enough to warrant an upgrade? I would say that if you’re a fan, and truly want to own The Jurassic Park films looking as good as is currently possible, the answer is, yes. There is no denying that the first and third films could use remastering but, that may or may not happen. In the meantime, this isn’t a terrible option.

Across the board the new DTS:X sound mixes breathed new life into each of the previous lossless soundtracks for the Jurassic Park films. My comments below will apply to them all.

The new DTS:X/7.1 Master Audio surround mixes improve upon the previous multi-channel offerings and sound superb. These tracks run the gamut between subtle passages of spoken dialog to dynamically charged sequences that deliver opulent surround sound. As an enthusiast, I appreciate a well-crafted sound mix that draws me into the onscreen elements, regardless of where the sounds are emanating from. Audio object placement from both above and in the listening plane at ear level, are put to effective use. These mixes generate a correlated, and broad soundstage where effects swirl, shift and traverse the listening area. I also appreciated the effectiveness of the added dimension during sequences where subtle special cues replicated the environments contained in the scene. Overall, I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and integration of discrete object placement. I think that each of these immersive sound mixes complimented the source material and made for an invigorating listening experience.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Jurassic Park Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Jurassic Park Blu-ray
  • Disc 3: The Lost World: Jurassic Park Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 4: The Lost World: Jurassic Park Blu-ray
  • Disc 5: Jurassic Park III Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 6: Jurassic Park III Blu-ray
  • Disc 7: Jurassic World Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 8: Jurassic World Blu-ray
  • Legacy Bonus Material
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

I am most decidedly a Jurassic Park fan and have enjoyed watching them over the years. The original is a landmark film and personal favorite that clearly sets itself apart. After twenty-five years it still makes for a highly entertaining theatrical experience. Like many of you reading this I have looked forward to the Ultra High Definition release of these films since the inception of the format. It comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray in this Limited Edition 25th Anniversary set featuring fair overall video quality, terrific DTS:X immersive sound and legacy bonus material. Personally speaking, I am pleased to own these films in Ultra HD with immersive sound but, this isn’t a slam dunk of a recommendation. At the end of the day it will depend on how important the minor improvements are to you.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-30-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2093
^^^^

Thanks Ralph for your in-depth analysis of the Jurassic Park Franchise in UHD! I believe I can safely say, "You covered all the bases!"

I too am a die-hard Jurassic Park fan, especially the first installment. Having said that, I purchased the newest Blu-ray collection when it came out a few years ago and I think I'll skip the UHD collection. I wouldn't mind having it, but I have been "Double-dipping" quite often lately (due to your tempting reviews of UHD releases ), and I have to learn to draw the line at times.

My copy of Braveheart on UHD arrives today! So, I hope to watch it soon and I will surely chime in shortly after. When people ask me what my favorite film is this is the one that comes to mind instantly. Forrest Gump, Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan also come to mind (all cinematic gems from Paramount), but Braveheart is the one I watch most frequently.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #3 of 36 Old 05-30-2018, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Kinda what I guessed, except didn't think the Lost World score would look so promising. Will probably pickup eventually, but in no rush to grab immediately.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 05-30-2018, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Another winning review, thanks Ralph.

As a JP junkie since seeing the first one in-theater I was wondering how they would translate to 4K.
( I remember a couple in the row behind me got so freaked out when the T-Rex gets his (or her) first cue, they actually got up and left the theater!)

Pratt & Howard were a perfect match, I enjoyed watching them as much as the CGI dino's in #4 .
With JP5 on the way, which I plan to see in-theater, I guess there will most likely be another box set with all 5.
One reason I prefer individual releases as they become available.

I expect the powers in charge will continue to milk JP for at least one more. (Three picture contracts upfront for Pratt and Howard?)
All these franchises milk their cows until not only all the milks gone, but there's no meat left on the bones to butcher.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by FLTWS; 05-30-2018 at 04:15 PM.
post #5 of 36 Old 05-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Love Jurassic Park, the others are just kind of “meh.” The last one was better than 2 and 3 though by a large margin. Maybe I’ll just wait for a remaster someday.
FLTWS likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-30-2018, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I purchased this set because I felt it was reasonably priced on Amazon. I especially love the packaging. I have not watched it yet but was primarily interested in the DTS:X soundtrack. I bought the last set with 3D "Jurassic World" and have not watched that installment yet. I will be viewing it in UHD instead.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 36 Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Thanks Ralph for the great review. I picked the best buy version mainly for the DTS:X sound tracks. It also came with $15 movie cash for the next jurassic world.
Ralph Potts likes this.

My home theater
Speakers: 3 JTR 212HTR (LCR), 2 Jtr Single 8LP (S), 2 JTR Triple 12LF (SB)) , 4 Volt 10LX (Atmos)
Subwoofers: 10 Sealed UXL-18, 5 Crowson Shadow 8 transducers, 3 Buttkicker LFE
Display: JVC RS400
post #8 of 36 Old 05-30-2018, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I watched the first 3 films in UHD and actually prefer how the first looks. The Lost World isn't too far behind with Jurassic Park III looking the worst.

I recommend the upgrade if only to get these films without the terrible Edge Enhancement which was used on the previous release.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #9 of 36 Old 05-31-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Thanks Ralph. I had already purchased and agree with your excellent review. The first one was by far my favorite. I know it's not great by today's standards but it was such incredible CGI at the time. I remember everyone being amazed.

We had been discussing this new release over in the "The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts" thread. One thing that was discovered was that they seemed to have filtered the LFE below about 30Hz on the new DTS:X track compared with the older DTS-HD MA track at least for the the first couple movies. I attached the graphs of the first movie. The DTS:X track is clearly better overall but there are certainly some moment when the the older track's better low end extension is just more impactful as it should be for a dinosaur movie. So that was the only disappointing part for me especially owning dual PC-4000's as you do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dtsx.png
Views:	62
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	2409852   Click image for larger version

Name:	dts-hd.png
Views:	58
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	2409854  
SuperFist likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2

Last edited by confinoj; 05-31-2018 at 05:53 AM.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-31-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 5406
I rewatched the original trilogy this weekend. Nice nostalgia... and the picture was surprisingly better than I remembered, too.
lizrussspike likes this.
post #11 of 36 Old 05-31-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I tried watching the first JP and I personally was very disappointed how it looked on my projection system. - too much like a home video due to the DNR that was employed. It didn't look like film to me.

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
post #12 of 36 Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Great review, Ralph. As a JP fan, I was waiting to see your take and you did a great, in-depth job explaining the mild improvements that you noted over the previous releases. That being said, and taking your analysis to heart, I will pass on this one as a double-dip and put my funds towards other discs that call out my name (and usually because I read your review, which is why I just got Annihilation....which was quite good, BTW!).

Again, thanks for the honest review....saved me a little money!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I agree with the video scores, I got this on release day and watched all 4 already. I felt JP is a good improvement over the Blu-ray with darker/more natural colours overall with less noise, but I was disappointed since I felt it could have been so much better. Seems like my favourites always get messed up like this, first T2, now JP and Universal will probably muck up Back to the Future next.

I felt JP3 and JW sounded a little flat compared to JP and TLW. One thing is for sure though, none of the sequels can match the dino sounds of JP, especially the T-rex roar. It is properly deafening in JP but sounds a little lifeless in the other 3 films.

For the $50 CAD I paid I still feel this was a decent deal, and the digibook packaging is pretty nice.
Tornado Red likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C, UBP-X800, PS4 Pro 5.1.2 System Yamaha RX-V1081 Paradigm Studio 60 V5, Monitor Center 3 V7, Titan V2 Klipsch RP-140SA DIY 15" Sub w/Inuke1000DSP
post #14 of 36 Old 05-31-2018, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Mine arrives today. I didn't own any of the films on disc previously... just a digital Amazon copy of JP from years ago.

That being said, I ordered the steelbook from BB. Good reviews on the packaging and it was only $5 more. Sucks I had to wait 9 days for delivery but that's what I get for not ordering from Amazon.

Still... happy to have this box set in a steelbook. I've seen JP and JW... haven't seen II or III.

Thanks for the review!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #15 of 36 Old 05-31-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghaus View Post
I agree with the video scores, I got this on release day and watched all 4 already. I felt JP is a good improvement over the Blu-ray with darker/more natural colours overall with less noise, but I was disappointed since I felt it could have been so much better. Seems like my favourites always get messed up like this, first T2, now JP and Universal will probably muck up Back to the Future next.

I felt JP3 and JW sounded a little flat compared to JP and TLW. One thing is for sure though, none of the sequels can match the dino sounds of JP, especially the T-rex roar. It is properly deafening in JP but sounds a little lifeless in the other 3 films.

For the $50 CAD I paid I still feel this was a decent deal, and the digibook packaging is pretty nice.
I agree, this was an okay deal at $49 CDN that I paid today. Just put in JP to check a few chapters, then took a couple of comparison photos against the blu ray. Definitely deeper colour saturations on the UHD, the blu ray looks washed out in comparison. Not an earth shattering UHD mind you, but it'll do. Sometimes these catalogue titles are not bad or good, just a 'meh'. I find this to be one of those (so far, haven't delved into the others yet). I expect I'll find many similarities to your review Ralph, thanks again
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 36 Old 06-01-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I love Jurassic Park, its like in my no 2 or no 3 spot of favorite movies and a childhood favorite of mine. I look forward to adding this to my already extensive JP collection
Ralph Potts likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #17 of 36 Old 06-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 210
And if you watch Jean-Claude Van Johnson on Amazon Prime you get to see who will be directing Jurassic Universe (That's right Dinosaurs in Space)!

Sony XBR55A1E
post #18 of 36 Old 06-03-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 42
jurassic world looks the best (followed by the original jp), jp3 looks the worst from a PQ standpoint.
perhaps a little more effort could have gone into these 'remasters' to get them looking even better.
post #19 of 36 Old 06-03-2018, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfson23 View Post
jurassic world looks the best (followed by the original jp), jp3 looks the worst from a PQ standpoint.
perhaps a little more effort could have gone into these 'remasters' to get them looking even better.
Universal and catalog titles usually don't go hand in hand. It is quite clear that JP1 and JP2 are nowhere in the league of Sony or Warner's treatment of catalog titles though they have never looked this better.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
post #20 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Thanks Ralph!

I'd really like to watch the UHD version of the original tonight, but I think I'm going to hold out and see if they release the individual films separately. I own the Jurassic World blu-ray, and I don't think I need 2 and 3.

If my local video store doesn't get the UHD (probably won't with a 'catalog' release), I'll probably cave by the weekend and buy this. It's not horrendously overpriced like some.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #21 of 36 Old 06-06-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Many thanks for another excellent and timely review! I had only bought the full JP series in DVD and was contemplating get the first in BR, when the whole UHD / immersive sound improvement suddenly exploded in my world. (Honest, all I wanted to to upgrade my music capability. As often happens, getting an AVR like the 3060 led on and on...). Now I get to buy the whole set and enjoy the ride -- my way!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #22 of 36 Old 06-22-2018, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Amazon has the bluray version of the Jurassic Park collection on sale today as one of the Deals of the Day for $16.99. This is not the UHD version but I thought that I would post the information in case anyone was interested. Enjoy.

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #23 of 36 Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2249 Post(s)
Liked: 3268
Ralph Potts

I want to thank you for this very detail review.

I will pass on this one, since Steven Spielberg.
Do like to use grainy film for his movies, I do not see the use to up-grade from Blu-ray.
Since now a day, many of us try to get the best picture possible for the budget that one have.
While I never did like grain on a movie, even if it was the Director intention.

My wife wanted me to get this one, but after reading your review, and reminding me about the grain.
I will save this money for other movies

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-25-2018 at 06:33 PM.
post #24 of 36 Old 07-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Finally watched "Jurassic World" on UHD last night and was blown away by the sound. The bass was quite intense at times. The only thing I noticed is that it didn't seem to utilize the height channels as much as I thought it would. The picture quality was awesome too especially the colors. Now I definitely have to watch the other films as well. Still can't believe there was a Starbucks & Brookstone featured in the movie.
SteveC356 likes this.

Last edited by powertoburn; 07-04-2018 at 02:04 PM.
post #25 of 36 Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Are the DTS:X soundtracks only on the 4K UHD discs or are they on the 2K BD discs as well?

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
post #26 of 36 Old 11-20-2018, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Are the DTS:X soundtracks only on the 4K UHD discs or are they on the 2K BD discs as well?
Greetings,

UHD Only.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #27 of 36 Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

UHD Only.

Regards,
Thanks. It looks like it'll be a bit more work to make 2K DTS:X files for the whole house server, then. Why they bothered to put what appears to be 7.1 (according to MakeMKV) on the 2K discs and not the extra meta data (doesn't add that much space over 7.1) for X is beyond me. Universal seems pretty inconsistent (e.g. Fallen Kingdom has DTS:X on the 3D and 2K versions, but apparently the rest of the films have X only on the 4K discs).

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
post #28 of 36 Old 01-14-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I just read through all of these comments Ralph (and your review) -- perhaps I missed it, but did you go into any depth about what proportion of these films is in the 2.00:1 vs. the 1.85:1 aspect ratio. I'm sorry, but I want most of my UHD screen used for content, and it irritates me no end that most UHD films are presented in a thin strip. I am vastly less concerned with what is at the periphery of the screen, than I am with wanting a larger screen experience. Got an 85" screen, want to see it used. If I'm not mistaken, they don't even have to zoom it, although if that were something I could do with my player, I definitely would -- don't they just have to open up the matte, so that everything you see in widescreen is visible, you just get top and bottom fill too?

It is a profound disappointment that most movies are strips. I revel in the 4K version of TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST NIGHT, which is the only film in the 5 film compendium that they opened up, plus has the virtue of being filmed in IMAX, if I'm not mistaken. But even on the second film, where the blu-ray presents those glorious IMAX scenes in top-to-bottom splendor, in at least two chapters, but the UHD neglects to do that. The other films I've discovered that use the whole screen, have been dark dark films -- GHOST IN THE SHELL (live action) was dark, JUSTICE LEAGUE was dark, DUNKIRK had limited color palette. Just ordered the DARK KNIGHT collection, where at least DARK KNIGHT RISES is hopefully how they present it on blu-ray, meaning most of the screen, most of the time.

I would order this set, and think I will anyway, because 2.00:1 is better that 2.40:1, but I've learned to be selective if I might enjoy the zoomed blu-ray better than peering through a slit in the wall. Are they working on the technology to be able to zoom UHD, or does it exist, or does anyone know why it does not exist, if that is the case? Thanks for any info, Ralph and everyone -- don't care if it is heresy, and not so intent on the "Director's vision" -- just want to watch what I want to watch....
post #29 of 36 Old 01-14-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
I just read through all of these comments Ralph (and your review) -- perhaps I missed it, but did you go into any depth about what proportion of these films is in the 2.00:1 vs. the 1.85:1 aspect ratio. I'm sorry, but I want most of my UHD screen used for content, and it irritates me no end that most UHD films are presented in a thin strip. I am vastly less concerned with what is at the periphery of the screen, than I am with wanting a larger screen experience. Got an 85" screen, want to see it used. If I'm not mistaken, they don't even have to zoom it, although if that were something I could do with my player, I definitely would -- don't they just have to open up the matte, so that everything you see in widescreen is visible, you just get top and bottom fill too?
All the Jurassic Park films are 1.85:1 with the exception of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which is 2.40:1 (at least that is what KODI is telling me of my dumps of the disc set). All have DTS:X now. The original is available in 3D (I've remuxed it for DTS:X) as are both "World" movies (only the latter has DTS:X built-in, I remuxed the first World to DTS:X as well).

post #30 of 36 Old 01-14-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
All the Jurassic Park films are 1.85:1 with the exception of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which is 2.40:1 (at least that is what KODI is telling me of my dumps of the disc set). All have DTS:X now. The original is available in 3D (I've remuxed it for DTS:X) as are both "World" movies (only the latter has DTS:X built-in, I remuxed the first World to DTS:X as well).
Very good, sir! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I always appreciate folks taking the time to help a fellow member. Think I'll go ahead and get the set, even though I've read in Ralph's review, amongst others that I've consulted, that perhaps the video is not the cutting edge of razor-sharp clarity, nor the HDR enhancements what they might have been -- just the fact that these mostly take advantage of your whole screen persuades me to want to own the set. Again, thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page