Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 06-05-2018, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6100
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the complete first season of HBO Entertainment's compelling TV series Game of Thrones, which is making its debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: HBO – 2011
MPAA Rating: TV-MA
Feature running time: 600 minutes
Genre: Drama/Action/Adventure/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Lain, Spanish, Castilian, Polish, Brazilian, Portuguese, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish
Starring: Peter Dinklage, Mark Addy, Nikolai Coster-Waldau, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Kit Harrington, Iain Glen, Alfrie Allen, John Bradley, James Cosmo, Charles Dance, Natalie Dormer, Michelle Fairley, Jerome Flynn, Aidan Gillen, Jack Gleeson, Conleth Hill, Sibel Kekilli

Directed by: Various
Written by: D.B. Weiss & David Benioff based on the “Song of ice and fire by George R.R. Martin
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: June 5, 2018

"You Win or You Die"

My Take:

I Reviewed Game of Thrones The Complete First Season when it was released on Limited Edition Blu-ray in 2015 and have included my comments from that review here. The ratings for the film, Atmos sound and bonus content will be the same as they are identical to the original release. New comments and ratings for the new Ultra HD video are below.

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin, season one of Game of Thrones introduces a world where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime. From the scheming south and the savage eastern lands, to the frozen north and ancient Wall that protects the realm from the mysterious darkness beyond, the powerful families of the Seven Kingdoms are locked in a battle for the Iron Throne.

Game of Thrones is a story of duplicity and treachery, nobility and honor, conquest and triumph. In this game, you either win or you die.

I was late to the Game of Thrones phenomenon and didn’t begin watching it until season three. I haven’t read any of the books so my exposure going into it was limited and held only to what I had heard from friends that have been following from the outset. Needless to say it was a challenge trying to put the various storylines, characters and their correlation or lack thereof together. Since then I went back and watched seasons 1 and 2 which put all of the connective elements and foundational relationships of the events I saw in the following seasons into perspective.

I loved season one. The escalation of the tensions between Winterfell and King's Landing drove the story while the lesser but, integral subplots following Arya Stark, Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen provide an added and enriching layer to the proceedings. The culmination of its events come together, resulting in treachery and bloodshed throughout the land. Part political thriller, part epic fantasy, season 1 bristles with rewarding drama/melodrama, engaging characters, numerous betrayals, thematic action/suspense and superb storytelling. Games of Thrones is a visceral, captivating and sometimes shocking experience that is worth every minute.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The show contains graphic violence, language, sexual content, graphic nudity and strong thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 88

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 84

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Game of Thrones The Complete First Season comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from HBO Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Game of Thrones The Complete First Season was finished on a 2K Digital Intermediate and upconverted to 4K.

From a cinematic perspective, this series is shot with a period specific visual aesthetic and that comes through quite naturally in this presentation. The Ultra HD presentation bests the 1080p versions in most respects, but the margin isn’t a wide one. Game of Thrones isn’t especially colorful but, utilizes a varied palette while maintaining reserved saturation as determined by the setting and thematic emphasis. I did find that its levels of gray, sepia tones and variants of blue/red benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing warmer and pleasing to the eye. Resolution gets a minor boost as well. Close-ups tend to offer improved refinement and deeper resolvable textures when compared to the Blu-ray.

There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range, mostly with respect to natural light and the occasional scene containing candescent lighting. I wasn't especially impressed with its application although some of that is owed to the nature of the photography. Alternatively, low level sequences, such as the one where Ned is visited on the dungeon in King’s Landing had excellent depth of field and emboldened contrast. All in all, I think that Game of Thrones The Complete First Season benefitted from the Ultra HD treatment. The improvement isn’t a consistently glaring one, however there are moments where it truly shines. This is something that those contemplating the upgrade will have to consider.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Game of Thrones The Complete First Season, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be the same. As I alluded to earlier, this TV series’ elements aren’t lent to bright color or vibrant highlights, however the subtleties that are present lie in the warm accents and reproduction of earth tones. Switching back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings yielded minute differences that are probably more subjective and not enough to warrant a rating difference.

Game of Thrones is the first TV series released on Blu-ray to incorporate Dolby Atmos. Having seen season 1 on Blu-ray I looked forward to seeing what Atmos would bring to the experience. In listening to the surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety in its use of overhead sounds but considering the source material that’s not a complete surprise. Game of Thrones has elements of action/adventure but much of the time is driven by dialog. The show features a variety of interior and exterior locations/sequences containing a host of recorded sounds/effects designed to replicate its environs.

The Atmos mix uses the entire soundstage placing audio objects in the form of discrete off camera cues, a horse galloping left to right out of the frame and over your shoulder to the rear of the room, a roaring fire that burns hot at the front with popping sparks traveling overhead as the camera moves in closer, to enveloping atmospherics that fill the listening area. The music score is subtly mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements while complimenting the story's thematic details. When the action kicks the level of immersion increases as the sound field comes alive. This is done to very good effect, correlating with the onscreen events quite nicely as the most minute audio cues are fully realized.

I appreciated the fact that the sound designers didn't go overboard with the freedom of object versus channel-based mixing. The soundtrack retained much of its original essence with the Atmos mix adding a noticeable increase in scope which I found enhancing. Hats off to HBO for their support of Dolby Atmos on Game of Thrones. I hope to see more going forward.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Discs 1 – 4: Game of Thrones Season One – Episodes 1 Through 10 Ultra HD Blu-ray
    • Animated Histories: Learn about the mythology of Westeros as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves.
    • Anatomy of an Episode - an in-episode experience that explores the creative minds and colossal efforts behind episode six, "A Golden Crown."
    • Cast Auditions: Watch rarely-seen footage of the cast auditioning for Game of Thrones
    • Making Game of Thrones -an exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set and interviews from the cast and crew.
    • Character Profiles - profiles of 15 major characters as described by the actors portraying them.
    • Creating the Show Open - an inside look at the creation of the Emmy-winning opening title sequence for Game of Thrones.
    • From the Book to the Screen - executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss along with author George R.R. Martin talk about the challenges of bringing Martin's epic fantasy novel to life on HBO.
    • The Night's Watch - an in-depth look at the unique order of men who patrol and protect the Wall, a 700 foot ice structure that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the darkness beyond.
    • Creating the Dothraki Language - an insightful glance into the comprehensive language created for the Dothraki people in Game of Thrones.
    • Audio Commentaries - Seven audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Bryan Cogman, Harry Lloyd, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor.
    • A Digital Download code for the ten-episode season in HD.

Final Thoughts:

The HBO original series Game of Thrones , is based on the bestselling book series “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R. Martin, and is a compelling and thoroughly engrossing epic drama, set in the grounded fantasy continent of Westeros. The Complete Season One makes its Ultra HD Blu-ray debut featuring a faithful video rendering (which includes Dolby Vision HDR) that makes the most of the source material, complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive sound, and legacy supplemental material. If you’re a fan that is set up for Ultra HDBlu-ray/Dolby Atmos sound, this release is certainly worth considering.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 06-06-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-05-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
I was initially shocked by the 86 score, but I think that is a testament to how good the blu-rays were. I think I will hold off on the double dip here, at least with season 1.
post #3 of 32 Old 06-05-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Thanks Ralph for your opinion on the UHD release of S1. I was wondering how much better this could get compared to the outstanding BD releases HBO has been putting out. The only thing I miss from the season 1 - 3 is UV codes. Maybe a future set will be a better attraction, since a great many of us have all the seasons on blu-ray.
Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 06-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are the bonus features UHD or HD?
post #5 of 32 Old 06-05-2018, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks5333 View Post
Are the bonus features UHD or HD?
Greetings,

HD...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6 of 32 Old 06-05-2018, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Don’t own any of these yet, on any medium. Wondering if the UHD is worth the extra cheddar. Wonder if they’re planning on re releasing any of the classics like Band of Brothers, or the Wire too?
post #7 of 32 Old 06-05-2018, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Ralph,

Re your Final Thoughts.........

I will think about upgrading but bluntly refuse "conidering " it!!!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by linger63; 06-06-2018 at 12:00 AM.
post #8 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I'll pick this up just to support the other season's being offered on UHD as well.

This was filmed in 1080P, so won't be an indication of what the rest will look like (better cameras were used from the the second season on). Kind of how the 2nd season of West World has superior image quality due to a filming change.

Thanks for the review as usual Ralph!
Ralph Potts and TravisPNW like this.
post #9 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
Ralph,

Re your Final Thoughts.........

I will think about upgrading but bluntly refuse "conidering " it!!!
Greetings,

I "conidered" correcting the typo and decided it was best to do so.

Thanks for catching it!

Regards,
linger63 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #10 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Thanks for the well thought out review. I fully agree with @Mattopotamus that there is little significant value in re-buying the set just for the UHD benefits. The BRs were such outstanding presentations (down to and including the Atmos track), that I can't see making such an additional major outlay. I bought the 1-6 set and added Season 7 when it came out. Since Season 8 (final season) is being delayed so long, I definitely will purchase that one in UHD and enjoy what it brings. (I suspect we'll see a bit more video "bang" in that final season. )

Many years back I read books 1 - 4 and waited (and waited...) for the "final" book 5 (which of course turned out not to be "final"). We don't get HBO, so when I got the Season 1 set as a gift after Season 6 had ended, I was well set to see what all the hype was about. It took only one show to convince me to buy the full, then available set. On my new (at the time) 7.2.4 Atmos setup, I was totally enthralled, engrossed and immersed in the worlds created by George R. R. Martin and brought to life by HBO. Last winter, I set out to re-watch the set -- a task that has proved eminently satisfying and almost shocking in how much I had missed on the first pass! But before completing Season 1, I decided to first buy and re-read the books. What an adventure and truly a great idea to re-read after having seen the videos! And what a disappointment that after all these years Martin has still not completed his tale! Damn him! (Picture here the Phantom singing, "Damn you!")

Anyway, I'm now into Season 6 again and still immensely enjoying the ride. Thanks to your review, Ralph, I'm satisfied with the BR version, but will even more eagerly anticipate the final season knowing that I will get the full UHD experience. Again, many thanks!
TravisPNW likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #11 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Thanks for the well thought out review. I fully agree with @Mattopotamus that there is little significant value in re-buying the set just for the UHD benefits. The BRs were such outstanding presentations (down to and including the Atmos track), that I can't see making such an additional major outlay. I bought the 1-6 set and added Season 7 when it came out. Since Season 8 (final season) is being delayed so long, I definitely will purchase that one in UHD and enjoy what it brings. (I suspect we'll see a bit more video "bang" in that final season. )

Many years back I read books 1 - 4 and waited (and waited...) for the "final" book 5 (which of course turned out not to be "final"). We don't get HBO, so when I got the Season 1 set as a gift after Season 6 had ended, I was well set to see what all the hype was about. It took only one show to convince me to buy the full, then available set. On my new (at the time) 7.2.4 Atmos setup, I was totally enthralled, engrossed and immersed in the worlds created by George R. R. Martin and brought to life by HBO. Last winter, I set out to re-watch the set -- a task that has proved eminently satisfying and almost shocking in how much I had missed on the first pass! But before completing Season 1, I decided to first buy and re-read the books. What an adventure and truly a great idea to re-read after having seen the videos! And what a disappointment that after all these years Martin has still not completed his tale! Damn him! (Picture here the Phantom singing, "Damn you!")

Anyway, I'm now into Season 6 again and still immensely enjoying the ride. Thanks to your review, Ralph, I'm satisfied with the BR version, but will even more eagerly anticipate the final season knowing that I will get the full UHD experience. Again, many thanks!
Just a quick note to add.... the original release of the first few seasons did not have Atmos so that can be a reason to upgrade to this UHD.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
Just a quick note to add.... the original release of the first few seasons did not have Atmos so that can be a reason to upgrade to this UHD.
Actually, the "first six season" set that I have does have Atmos for all seasons including Season 1. However, I agree, anyone who has an original Season 1 without Atmos may want the UHD/Atmos upgrade.
SuperFist likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #13 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
Don’t own any of these yet, on any medium. Wondering if the UHD is worth the extra cheddar. Wonder if they’re planning on re releasing any of the classics like Band of Brothers, or the Wire too?

BoB might happen if Spielberg and Hanks push for a remastering, but it is possible to go back and "redo" the whole thing in 4K because it was film-based and the VFX vendors are all still around to revisit the VFX shots that need revamping. It would look pretty nasty if they took the existing 1080P master and uprezzed it to 4K. The detail and coloring from a master that old is just not fit to use. That being said, I don't think it would benefit from a rebuild as much as The Pacific would, as that one would really show off 4K and HDR if it was rebuilt from the negatives. The Wire would really only shine in UHD if they re-did the remastering work they did several years ago, this time at 4K resolution. John Adams is another production that would shine in 4K if they revisited the negatives to create a new 4K master with HDR grades.
post #14 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
I don't think it would benefit from a rebuild as much as The Pacific would, as that one would really show off 4K and HDR if it was rebuilt from the negatives. The Wire would really only shine in UHD if they re-did the remastering work they did several years ago, this time at 4K resolution. John Adams is another production that would shine in 4K if they revisited the negatives to create a new 4K master with HDR grades.
The wire is good enough that it would warrant a total remaster. I love the Pacific also, I might be one of the few Heretics that actually finds it better than BoB. My absolute, bar none favorite, is Deadwood. A remastering of that would be awesome.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Deadwood was Super35, so it begs to be rebuilt in 4K and with a Dolby Atmos track to really bring the environment to life! Maybe if the Deadwood follow-up ever gets greenlit, we'll get that.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
With a year or so to go I'm waiting for the 4K set. Will be content with the BDs for now.
post #17 of 32 Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I grabbed it yesterday, easy decision for me since I resisted the previous BR release. Frankly, I don't understand how HBO did it, the original footage was shot at 1080p, then stored on videotapes capped at 1080p, so the source of DI isn't even 2K, yet it looks on par with most faux-K transfer from 2K DI, even better than some. My expectation was exceeded.
oneeyeblind and TravisPNW like this.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
post #18 of 32 Old 06-07-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c 2 View Post
I grabbed it yesterday, easy decision for me since I resisted the previous BR release. Frankly, I don't understand how HBO did it, the original footage was shot at 1080p, then stored on videotapes capped at 1080p, so the source of DI isn't even 2K, yet it looks on par with most faux-K transfer from 2K DI, even better than some. My expectation was exceeded.
That's great to hear!

I'll be picking it up tonight.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #19 of 32 Old 06-07-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

GOT is 2K, with a few exceptions for higher-clarity/high-resolution shots. The two pilots shot by HBO were merged into one final cut that was a film/digital hybrid.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20 of 32 Old 06-08-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
GOT is 2K, with a few exceptions for higher-clarity/high-resolution shots. The two pilots shot by HBO were merged into one final cut that was a film/digital hybrid.
Wow, I only realized now 2K IS 1080p why was I always under the impression 1080p < 2K < 4K...

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
post #21 of 32 Old 06-09-2018, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Wow, I only realized now 2K IS 1080p why was I always under the impression 1080p < 2K < 4K...

2K is 2048x1080, 1080p is 1920x1080. There is a difference but not much.
post #22 of 32 Old 06-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
2K is 2048x1080, 1080p is 1920x1080. There is a difference but not much.
right, as the same for 3840 vs 4096...I guess I'm so used to 1440p 21:9 monitors, I stopped keeping tap on horizontal pixels counts.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
post #23 of 32 Old 06-26-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
T̶h̶e̶ ̶U̶H̶D̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶a̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶A̶m̶a̶z̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶$̶3̶3̶.̶9̶9̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶.̶

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...eEligible=true

EDIT: Deal is dead.

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462

Last edited by Kenshiro 26; 06-26-2018 at 01:57 PM.
post #24 of 32 Old 11-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I was initially shocked by the 86 score, but I think that is a testament to how good the blu-rays were. I think I will hold off on the double dip here, at least with season 1.
Bumping this thread because I wanted to say I won't be getting the UHD seasons.

I'm a newcomer to GoT and just picked up seasons 1-7 blue ray box set on BF for $75... and the PQ is absolutely stunning on my OLED. I've seen a few of the newer blue rays like that where the PQ has me wondering is it 1080p or 4K UHD and that definitely applies here. The blue rays are astonishingly good and the series is with Atmos to boot!

Thanks for the reviews Ralph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

This was filmed in 1080P, so won't be an indication of what the rest will look like (better cameras were used from the the second season on). Kind of how the 2nd season of West World has superior image quality due to a filming change.

Really? That's interesting because my astonishingly good comment is based on season 1 blue rays... all I've looked at so far. The rest of the seasons used better cameras? Can't wait to see them. I think it's safe to say I won't be double dipping on GoT.

Ralph Potts and SteveC356 like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #25 of 32 Old 12-03-2018, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've searched the forum and online but can't find an answer - has there been any news about releasing the other seasons in 4k/UHD? I'm currently enjoying the season one discs, looking forward to season 8!

Optoma UHD51A, 135" Elite Saker Tab Tensioned Cinewhite 1.1 Gain, Marantz 7703, Carver AV-705 Amp, AudioSource Amps (Ceiling), B&W 802 Matrix Series III, 805 Series III, HTM, Oppo 205, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with upgrades, MacMini for Roon, X-Box One X, Playstation 4 Pro, Sony 70" 850B.
post #26 of 32 Old 12-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucedriver View Post
I've searched the forum and online but can't find an answer - has there been any news about releasing the other seasons in 4k/UHD? I'm currently enjoying the season one discs, looking forward to season 8!
I haven't heard anything although I'm sure they are coming eventually.

To update my previous post in this thread... I just finished Season 1 last night (the blue ray set) and OMG how good it looks on my OLED. I honestly can't tell a difference between it and some of the reference quality 4K discs I own. Seriously.

They tell me Season 2 -7 were shot with better cameras... I'll post back on that. I plan to dive into Season 2 later this week.

At this time I have 0 interest in the UHD set. The blue rays are just too good.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #27 of 32 Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I haven't heard anything although I'm sure they are coming eventually.

To update my previous post in this thread... I just finished Season 1 last night (the blue ray set) and OMG how good it looks on my OLED. I honestly can't tell a difference between it and some of the reference quality 4K discs I own. Seriously.

They tell me Season 2 -7 were shot with better cameras... I'll post back on that. I plan to dive into Season 2 later this week.

At this time I have 0 interest in the UHD set. The blue rays are just too good.
I've really enjoyed the Season 1 UHD set, impressive on the 135" screen and the ATMOS track sounds great. Standing by for the next seasons to be released. I also read season 2-7 were filmed with better cameras, I'm curious if you see a difference with the blu rays.

Enjoy!
TravisPNW likes this.
post #28 of 32 Old 12-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've really enjoyed the Season 1 UHD set, impressive on the 135" screen and the ATMOS track sounds great. Standing by for the next seasons to be released. I also read season 2-7 were filmed with better cameras, I'm curious if you see a difference with the blu rays.

Enjoy!
Thanks!

I'll post back once I dive into Season 2 in a few days. Season 1 was exceptional on blue ray. Easily comparable to reference quality 4K material I've seen even without the HDR which isn't a huge deal IMO anyway given how dark the show has been in the episodes I've watched. I'm speaking as someone who owns 120+ UHD discs and an equal amount of 1080p discs. I've seen the best there is to offer on my OLED.

I actually just went back and looked at Ralph's reviews for the blue ray seasons and video was reference 92+ in all of them. I'd definitely agree. Right now I'm thinking it's not worth it to upgrade to the 4K seasons if you already have the blue ray sets, but to each their own.

post #29 of 32 Old 12-04-2018, 02:02 PM

Season 1 is the only season I own on disc. I probably wouldn't upgrade if I owned them on Blu Ray either, but since I just started putting it together I'll probably wait until they are released. I would have thought at least season 2 would be out by now.

The HDR isn't a big deal, especially since I'm usually watching on our projector which isn't as impressive with UHD as our 4k TV anyway. I'm always keeping an eye out for disc sales, so if it pops up on regular blu ray for a great price it could convince me to pick it up.
TravisPNW likes this.

Optoma UHD51A, 135" Elite Saker Tab Tensioned Cinewhite 1.1 Gain, Marantz 7703, Carver AV-705 Amp, AudioSource Amps (Ceiling), B&W 802 Matrix Series III, 805 Series III, HTM, Oppo 205, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with upgrades, MacMini for Roon, X-Box One X, Playstation 4 Pro, Sony 70" 850B.
post #30 of 32 Old 12-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm always keeping an eye out for disc sales, so if it pops up on regular blu ray for a great price it could convince me to pick it up.
I got the 7 season box set from the big A on BF for $75... marked down from about $120. (It was $200 in store at BB) It's priced slightly higher now but still lower than it was.

At that price I couldn't say no to seeing what all the hype was about... having never seen GoT previously. Quite happy with the purchase of this reference quality blue ray set. I definitely don't blame you for holding out for the UHD set. Given the price I got though it made more sense to get the box set... and if the UHD discs were a big difference in quality to consider upgrading later. Given how shocked I was at the quality of the blue ray set, I don't see that happening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page