Tomb Raider Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #1 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked: 6114
Tomb Raider Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Lara Croft, the fiercely independent daughter of a missing adventurer, must push herself beyond her limits when she discovers the island where her father disappeared.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 118 minutes
Genre: Thriller/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Alicia Vikander, Dominic West, Daniel Wu, Walton Goggins, Kristin Scott Thomas
Directed by: Roar Uthaug
Music by: Tom Holkenburg
Written by: Geneva Robertson-Dworet, Alastair Siddons
Region Code: A

Release Date: June 12, 2018

"Her Legend Begins…"

My Take:

Lara Croft is the fiercely independent daughter of an eccentric adventurer who vanished when she was scarcely a teen. Now a young woman of 21 without any real focus or purpose, Lara navigates the chaotic streets of trendy East London as a bike courier, barely making the rent, and takes college courses, rarely making it to class. Determined to forge her own path, she refuses to take the reins of her father's global empire just as staunchly as she rejects the idea that he's truly gone. Advised to face the facts and move forward after seven years without him, even Lara can't understand what drives her to finally solve the puzzle of his mysterious death.

Going explicitly against his final wishes, she leaves everything she knows behind in search of her dad's last-known destination: a fabled tomb on a mythical island that might be somewhere off the coast of Japan. But her mission will not be an easy one; just reaching the island will be extremely treacherous. Suddenly, the stakes couldn't be higher as Lara must rely on her sharp mind, blind faith and stubborn spirit to venture into the unknown.

This live action feature is inspired by the most successful interactive video-game character in history -- Lara Croft. I was actually quite a fan of the game, back in the day, and spent many hours exploring its vast worlds. The previous film versions which starred Angelina Jolie, the first of which I didn’t mind, brought the character to life for the first time. When I saw this reboot and who was chosen to portray Lara Croft I was quite interested.

I liked the approach taken, which was to make the film feel less like the video game, which could potentially open the door for a number of ways to spin the character. Unfortunately, the origin story here is lacks the proper foundation from which to catapult Lara. The attempts to build the essential relationship between Lara and her father Richard fail miserably. This is really the crux of the plot and that fact that connection between them is sorely lacking makes Lara’s motivations less effective.

I liked Vikander’s handling of the role and how the character was drawn. It felt contemporary and slick. I also liked the character of Lu Ren, played by Daniel Wu, and for the life of me couldn’t understand why he wasn’t given more skin in the game. I love Walton Goggins as an actor, especially when playing the heavy. He was unfortunately saddled with a poorly drawn and ineffectual villain whose every move was terribly predictable. The elements of action/adventure are fine but, not unlike we haven’t seen from similar films.

Despite its shortcomings I did find myself enjoying Tomb Raider as I watched. I think much of this is owed to my fondness for Alicia Vikander while some of it is attributed to its sterling home theater presentation. I think that as a popcorn flick it gets the job done. Those seeking an engrossing, action/adventure tale will probably be disappointed.

Replay Value: 3 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of violence and action and for some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 100

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Tomb Raider comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Tomb Raider was derived from a 3.4K source and finished on a 4K Digital Intermediate. This is a top notch Ultra HD presentation that looks terrific on my large screen. What struck me from the onset is the lifelike reproduction of the textures captured by the camera's lens. Whether it be the finest minutia in physical features or rough textures on the interior of a well-traveled ship, a secret basement office, a rusted-out cargo plane, or the vistas of the shooting locations, the imagery is gorgeous. The benefits of high dynamic range and wide color gamut are on display as earth toned colors have an added dimension that enlivens shots where they would have been seen as a less provocative background element. The shots of the island jungle are breathtaking at times. Color reproduction across the spectrum of those used in conjunction with the film’s thematic elements look great.

Whites are emboldened, detailed and bright, especially during low level transitions viewed in a darkened environment. The nighttime storm sequence looks fantastic as the flashes of lightning illuminate the white caps/crashing waves set against the dark gradations in the sea water and sky. Contrast abounds, lending an authenticity that underscores the subject matter, bringing it to a visually rewarding level. The rendering of natural light during the plethora of sun splashed daytime segments both on the island and in London/Asia was among the presentations highlights. There are a few scenes that take place in darkened interiors and exteriors and all reveal excellent depth of field.

Shot digitally, this rendering reproduces its elements with aplomb. Looking at the 1080p version, which is solid as well, the difference is noticeable, but not what I would describe as night and day. That being said, there is no question about which of the two makes for the more gratifying and engaging viewing experience. I hope we see more Ultra HD Blu-ray releases with this kind of video quality.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the HDR renderings for Tomb Raider I found that both the HDR-10 and Dolby Vision presentations shined, delivering images that I didn’t find fault with.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes effective use of the platform. The blend of audio objects placed in the height channels is a mix atmospherics and discrete effects. At times this creates a tangible level of 3D immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The storm sequence in chapter 4 features the sounds of swirling objects, and crashing waves that utilizes the entire soundstage, making for a great impression of what the soundtrack has to offer. There are both large set pieces and smaller/brief sequences/moments, such as the creaks of the interior of the disintegrating cargo plane, that show off this well-crafted mix.

Everything comes together during the final act’s encounter in the tomb, as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. The music score is mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements without drawing attention away from the thematic details of what is transpiring onscreen. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere, discrete object placement and room energizing bass. I think that it complimented the source material and made for an entertaining listening experience.

** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:

Tomb Raider comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video, lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtracks.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide-angle shots of island look terrific. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Tomb Raider looks great on Blu-ray.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack (as well as the 7.1 Dolby True HD Atmos core) feature crystal clear dialog, robust dynamics and when called upon, an engaging surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension, and directional effects. This worked hand in hand with a resonating low end, and rousing music, that underscored the film’s thematic tone. I found this to be an engaging audio presentation that complimented the video resulting in an involving and evocative viewing experience that enhanced the source material. For those so equipped, I preferred the 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD sound over the 5.1 channel mix.

** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Tomb Raider Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Tomb Raider Blu-ray
    • Tomb Raider: Uncovered - The cast and crew reveal the challenges - and the fun – of bringing Lara Croft’s thrilling adventures of life for a new generation.
    • Croft Training - Enter the gym with Award winning actress Alicia Vikander as she prepares for the most physically demanding role of her career and transforms into the iconic action hero Lara Croft.
    • Breaking Down the Rapids - Join Director Roar Uthaug as he and other members of the cast and crew break down the film’s most exciting action set piece.
    • Lara Croft: Evolution of an Icon - Explore the revolutionary TOMB RAIDER saga from video games to movies and discover how Lara Croft became one of the most popular and successful female characters of all time.
    Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Tomb Raider is a live action feature that is inspired by the most successful interactive video-game character in history -- Lara Croft. As far as reboots go it’s a middling effort that suffers from a poorly developed script. Luckily its star Alicia Vikander, helps bolster interest, elevating it to a fair popcorn flick. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment, featuring an excellent Ultra HD video rendering, top notch high definition video, room filling lossless surround sound, including a solid Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix, and a fair supplemental package. If it can be had for the right price Tomb Raider is worth considering, especially for those interested in excellent home theater presentations on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 06-08-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Good lord I wasn't prepared for the video score. Guess this confirms my originally scheduled purchase of Gump is now taking a backseat for this guilty pleasure AV experience.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #3 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1822
Thanks for the review Ralph Potts! Looks like a great score you gave it, so that means I will have to view it soon. Always been a Lara Croft fan anyway.
Ralph Potts and morphinapg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Here's my review:

Cute girl.
Reference quality picture.
Cute girl.
Reference quality audio.
Cute girl.

End of review.

I think I have a future doing these review things.
post #5 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Here's my review:

Cute girl.
Cute girl.
Reference quality audio.
Cute girl.

End of review.

Greetings,

Well, there might be a LITTLE more to it than that but, maybe you're on to something!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
Thanks Ralph for the "whetting my appetite" review! I've never been a real big fan of the original Tomb Raider Franchise, but one of the reasons for that was the less-than-stellar PQ (in fact, it was downright horrendous at times). But with your take on the PQ and AQ I'm very tempted to purchase this release.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #7 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dang. Was really disappointed in this movie when I saw it in the theater (it basically took the story from the 2013 game and did everything it could to make it worse and more nonsensical). But the PQ and AQ review here has me slightly second guessing my plan not to pick this one up.
post #8 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Here's my review:

Cute girl.
Cute girl.
Reference quality audio.
Cute girl.

End of review.

If you only did that there would be a lot of disappointed people who might watch "Mother!" as a result.
Mattopotamus likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #9 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Ralph: Confused by your 100 Pt UHD rating and 100 Pt DV rating. They both seem to have half-stars in categories per the dots.....doesn't this reduce the score, or is my math incorrect?

Robert
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #10 of 97 Old 06-07-2018, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 3255
I finally doing to move to 4K.

After lots research and discussion on those forums, and end-up with those choices to replace, the projector and BD player;
JVC x590r and
Sony VBP-X800

Then the last few days, I got disappointed, nothing new/good on 4K, is coming.
And remember this one

After all, I am no longer going to replace all format, did-it too many time;
-VHS to Laser Disk, Laser Disk to DVD, then HD-disk and BD during the format war, then replace all HD-disk to BD.
With over 1000 Blu-ray movies, I will not change any of them, only new release.

Since my new toys will be install next week, I now have something to look forward

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 06-07-2018 at 08:01 PM.
post #11 of 97 Old 06-08-2018, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4985 Post(s)
Liked: 3827
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I finally doing to move to 4K.

After lots research and discussion on those forums, and end-up with those choices to replace, the projector and BD player;
JVC x590r and
Sony VBP-X800

Then the last few days, I got disappointed, nothing new/good on 4K, is coming.
And remember this one

After all, I am no longer going to replace all format, did-it too many time;
-VHS to Laser Disk, Laser Disk to DVD, then HD-disk and BD during the format war, then replace all HD-disk to BD.
With over 1000 Blu-ray movies, I will not change any of them, only new release.

Since my new toys will be install next week, I now have something to look forward

Ray
I am in your camp with a few exceptions. I do re-buys when the new version has added 3D audio. Unfortunately, most of those fall far short of what is possible.
darthray likes this.
post #12 of 97 Old 06-08-2018, 02:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here's my review:

Cute girl.
Cute girl.
Reference quality audio.
Cute girl.

End of review.

Not only can I not stop laughing at this, I am reminded of how many discs I have purchased because of similar "attributes" --- or replace "Cute girl" with "great action sequence".

Thanks for the laughs.
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.
post #13 of 97 Old 06-08-2018, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsis View Post
Ralph: Confused by your 100 Pt UHD rating and 100 Pt DV rating. They both seem to have half-stars in categories per the dots.....doesn't this reduce the score, or is my math incorrect?

Robert
Greetings,

Thanks for catching that Robert! Your math is right on.

The rating is now correct across the board.

Regards,
robsis likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 97 Old 06-08-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Gosh Ralph, you are killing me with the high scores! This movie was not on my radar screen (I did not care for the Angelina Jolie movie at all) to purchase, but now I might need to reconsider! Maybe I will rent the UHD version first and then make a final decision. But thanks again for a great review.

Cal68
Ralph Potts and morphinapg like this.

Cal68
post #15 of 97 Old 06-08-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
It's a shame that the box office performance of this movie will most likely derail any action career Alicia Vikander may have had, because she completely carries this movie. Her characterization is tough, charming, vulnerable and funny. The physical effort she put in for this role pays off in several action and quite gritty fight sequences. She and Daniel Wu have fantastic chemistry that would have been fun to watch again. All of this is pulled down by a very linear plot and one dimensional secondary characters. I'll still watch it again though, Vikander is just that much fun to watch.
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

Looky here!
post #16 of 97 Old 06-08-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
It's a shame that the box office performance of this movie will most likely derail any action career Alicia Vikander may have had, because she completely carries this movie. Her characterization is tough, charming, vulnerable and funny. The physical effort she put in for this role pays off in several action and quite gritty fight sequences. She and Daniel Wu have fantastic chemistry that would have been fun to watch again. All of this is pulled down by a very linear plot and one dimensional secondary characters. I'll still watch it again though, Vikander is just that much fun to watch.
The movie certainly made enough worldwide for a sequel. Just maybe next time save some money by not doing a 3D conversion.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #17 of 97 Old 06-08-2018, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 373
This had such a strong cast....the plot, on the other hand, felt boring, unoriginal and a rehash of past adventures.

The DTS-HD was phenomenal though

Josh
post #18 of 97 Old 06-08-2018, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Very good image quality though as is often the case, that image quality highlighted weaker CG elements like the storm/ocean. One thing the good picture quality did highlight right off, in stunning detail, is how freaking ripped Vikander got for the part. I'd need Tomb Raider to find where my abs went as they have been lost for so long most think it is a myth they ever existed. #workoutgoals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker1225 View Post
Dang. Was really disappointed in this movie when I saw it in the theater (it basically took the story from the 2013 game and did everything it could to make it worse and more nonsensical). But the PQ and AQ review here has me slightly second guessing my plan not to pick this one up.
I don't think they made it any more 'nonsensical' as for the most part it stuck to the major beats of the game. It just shouldn't have tried to get it all in as the plot there is more of a mini-series length. It rushing it it felt even too dumbed-down and bit cheesy at times. It also shouldn't have tried to be less 'nonsensical' by making the curse explainable/biological. They should have left the magical aspect (along with the disbelief in it) in. All the Indiana Jones did and we were fine with it (except the last one as it wasn't magic, it was Aliens..).

The beginning make me wish it was a mini-series as I wanted a lot more time with her life and the bike messenger crew. Hell that could have been the whole first movie for me and I'd have been happy. I showed my wife the first part and she got excited when she saw Hannah John-Kamen was in it but I had to break the news to her that it was just a cameo.
robnix likes this.

Last edited by curtisb; 06-08-2018 at 11:15 PM.
post #19 of 97 Old 06-09-2018, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
Very good image quality though as is often the case, that image quality highlighted weaker CG elements like the storm/ocean. One thing the good picture quality did highlight right off, in stunning detail, is how freaking ripped Vikander got for the part. I'd need Tomb Raider to find where my abs went as they have been lost for so long most think it is a myth they ever existed. #workoutgoals

I don't think they made it any more 'nonsensical' as for the most part it stuck to the major beats of the game. It just shouldn't have tried to get it all in as the plot there is more of a mini-series length. It rushing it it felt even too dumbed-down and bit cheesy at times. It also shouldn't have tried to be less 'nonsensical' by making the curse explainable/biological. They should have left the magical aspect (along with the disbelief in it) in. All the Indiana Jones did and we were fine with it (except the last one as it wasn't magic, it was Aliens..).

The beginning make me wish it was a mini-series as I wanted a lot more time with her life and the bike messenger crew. Hell that could have been the whole first movie for me and I'd have been happy. I showed my wife the first part and she got excited when she saw Hannah John-Kamen was in it but I had to break the news to her that it was just a cameo.

Excellent post. A Lara Croft mini series with Vikander along with good writing would be fantastic.

Looky here!
post #20 of 97 Old 06-09-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Tomb Raider? No! Punching Bag? Yes! This was a major disappointment IMO, and yes the father daughter chemistry wasn't there mostly of the miscast of Dominic West who's not only barely a 2 D actor but who was even miscast in this role. He should have been playing the villain instead. Anyway I guess I'll never find out how good this disc look and sound as I won't bother with purchase of it. Too bad.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #21 of 97 Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 3255
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I am in your camp with a few exceptions. I do re-buys when the new version has added 3D audio. Unfortunately, most of those fall far short of what is possible.

Thanks for the heads up

While, I do not intend to rebuy any previously release bought on BD.
I will remember this post, if I got the itch

Meanwhile it will be only 4K/UHD, when available.

Very useful info to know.

Ray
post #22 of 97 Old 06-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Fun movie. I agree actor who played father weakest aspect. The movie held true to the genre though.

With as hard as she worked to get in shape I wonder if the mister worried that she could kick his Prometheus behind.

Will be surprised if no sequel.
post #23 of 97 Old 06-11-2018, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3022 Post(s)
Liked: 2228
Quote:
Here's my review:

Cute girl.
Cute girl.
Reference quality audio.
Cute girl.

End of review.

Lol - excellent mini-review to compliment Ralph's usual stellar review.

My proverbial jaw is still on the floor from when I saw Alicia Vikander in Ex-Machina - so this is a must buy for me!
morphinapg likes this.
post #24 of 97 Old 06-11-2018, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 4000 Post(s)
Liked: 3175
Instead of wasting my money (Like on Annihilation), will take this review to watch when it finally comes down to satellite, re free viewing. (6 months ?)

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #25 of 97 Old 06-11-2018, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
This had such a strong cast....the plot, on the other hand, felt boring, unoriginal and a rehash of past adventures.

The DTS-HD was phenomenal though
Not sure why you would listen to that track instead of the superior TrueHD 7.1 mix.

Warner needs to stop wasting space and bandwidth with these redundant DTS-MA tracks. The Atmos mix is the native mix and TrueHD is designed to downmix all the way to 2.0 stereo if needed. That's a big reason Robert Harris encoded the restored My Fair Lady in the format.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #26 of 97 Old 06-11-2018, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Not sure why you would listen to that track instead of the superior TrueHD 7.1 mix.

Warner needs to stop wasting space and bandwidth with these redundant DTS-MA tracks. The Atmos mix is the native mix and TrueHD is designed to downmix all the way to 2.0 stereo if needed. That's a big reason Robert Harris encoded the restored My Fair Lady in the format.
Fair points but in the wrong thread.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
post #27 of 97 Old 06-12-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by lganz316 View Post
Fair points but in the wrong thread.
It has to do with the redundant DTS-MA track on Tomb Raider.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #28 of 97 Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5349 Post(s)
Liked: 5684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes effective use of the platform. The blend of audio objects placed in the height channels is a mix atmospherics and discrete effects. At times this creates a tangible level of 3D immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The storm sequence in chapter 4 features the sounds of swirling objects, and crashing waves that utilizes the entire soundstage, making for a great impression of what the soundtrack has to offer. There are both large set pieces and smaller/brief sequences/moments, such as the creaks of the interior of the disintegrating cargo plane, that show off this well-crafted mix.

Everything comes together during the final act’s encounter in the tomb, as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. The music score is mixed over the platform so as to add natural depth to its orchestrated elements without drawing attention away from the thematic details of what is transpiring onscreen. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere, discrete object placement and room energizing bass. I think that it complimented the source material and made for an entertaining listening experience.

Ralph hi we watched this tonight, this was much more fun than I was expecting

great summary of the ATMOS track, I thought it was excellent throughout and the LFE was very solid.. wow did it hit hard in a number of the scenes.

The visuals were remarkable as well, one of the best on the UHD format. Watching in 2D, I could see they set up a number of the scenes for 3D so I imported this one and will give it a 2nd viewing in 3D soon. thanks for the review!
Ralph Potts and Reddig like this.
post #29 of 97 Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Thanks for the review Ralph. Nice to see it scored well.

My wife and I seen this one on opening weekend. We were out of town and staying at a hotel right next to a Harkins theater. We decided to see whatever was playing in their largest Cine Capri theater which happened to be Tomb Raider and it wasn't too bad a movie either. The Atmos mix was really great as the theater had a really nice sounding setup. Hoped that the theatrical mix translated well to the release and sounds like it did.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #30 of 97 Old 06-13-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered this long before it was available and got the following note from Amazon today. Must be a very popular film!!

I have since ordered from another source !!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 4.26.01 PM.png
Views:	791
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	2415718  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page