• 2 Post By nathanddrews

post #1 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6134
Death Wish Blu-ray Review

Dr. Paul Kersey is an experienced trauma surgeon, a man who has spent his life saving lives. After an attack on his family, Paul embarks on his own mission for justice.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Bruce Willis, Elisabeth Shue, Dean Norris, Vincent D’Onofrio, Kimberly Elise
Directed by: Eli Roth
Music by: Ludwig Goransson
Written by: Joe Carnahan
Region Code: A

Release Date: June 5, 2018

"How Far Would You go to Protect Your Family?"

My Take:

Dr. Paul Kersey (Bruce Willis) is a surgeon who only sees the aftermath of his city’s violence as it’s rushed into his ER – until his wife (Elisabeth Shue) and college-age daughter (Camila Morrone) are viciously attacked in their suburban home. With the police overloaded with crimes, Paul, burning for revenge, hunts for his family’s assailants to deliver justice. As the anonymous slayings of criminals grabs the media’s attention, the city wonders if this deadly avenger is a guardian angel…or a grim reaper.

I saw the original Death Wish when it was in theaters back in 1974. Not sure how that happened since I was 10 years old at the time but, anyway. The movie which starred Charles Bronson and Vincent Gardenia, left an impression on me, probably due to the nature of its subject matter and my age, but I have always found it engaging. It led to numerous sequels but, none had the same effect. When I saw the trailer for this reimagining starring my man Bruce Willis I just wasn’t all that interested.

I watched Death Wish with my wife and it most definitely doesn’t carry the same thematic impact as the original. The script makes a few changes but, keeps the primary plot intact. The story is rather contrived and the proceedings involving Dr. Kersey’s exploits as a vigilante know as the “Grim Reaper” don’t really hold water especially when you factor in the police investigation, which is apparently handled by the only two homicide detectives in the entire city of Chicago, who aren’t very good at their jobs.

I didn’t care much for the decision to make Paul Kersey a surgeon, as there is one specific scene which clearly have led the police to him given the nature of the death of the criminal at Kersey’s hands. I like Bruce Willis but, the way the character was drawn just didn’t work for him in the early parts of the film. I also felt that Vincent D’Onofrio was completely wasted in the role of his brother. I like Dean Norris and felt that he did the best with what he had to work with as the lead detective handling the Kersey case (s).

It sounds like I really didn’t like Death Wish but, I didn’t hat it and simply took it for what it was. I assumed it would be lacking in character development, pacing, and narrative depth, and it was, but I allowed myself to get “involved” in the story as much as possible and tried to have fun with it. It’s references to the use/access of guns seemed notably up front, given recent events, which could certainly be off putting to some. I won’t comment on that. At the end of the day Death Wish doesn’t hold a candle to the original film and is most assuredly a missed opportunity.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence and language throughout.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Death Wish comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is a solid looking high definition rendering from Fox that sports plenty of fine detail with sharp edges and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective during wide angle camera pans. Colors range from warm, vivid and inviting to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Blacks are rich and noticeably deep with a slight boost to contrast that is just enough to give the video a visually dynamic aesthetic without negatively impacting fidelity. Visible detail in low lit scenes/backgrounds isn’t always definitive and I noticed some innate softening however neither proves problematic. I didn’t see any obvious signs of video related artifacts as the video had a pristine and generally pleasing quality.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack had no trouble rendering clear and articulated dialog. Sound effects had notable dynamic energy so that they sounded full bodied and aurally satisfying. This is not a film that requires heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it does rely on the entire soundstage for proper atmosphere and low frequency detail from time to time. The mix does a decent job of creating the right sounds at the right levels and placing them appropriately in the sound field’s acoustic environment. Low frequency effects are used to add solidity to sound effects and the film’s music score. I thought the presentation served the source material well and sounded fine.

Bonus Features:
  • ● Commentary w/ Eli Roth & Roger Birnbaum
    ● Deleted scenes with optional commentary w/ Eli Roth & Roger Birnbaum
    ● Mancow Morning Show Extended Scenes
    ● Sway in the Morning Extended Scene
    ● Vengeance and Vision: Directing Death Wish
    ● Grindhouse Trailer
  • DVD
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Death Wish is a poorly crafted, and ineffectual reimagining that misses the mark, resulting in a lackluster film experience. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video mated with a fair supplemental package that offers insights from the filmmakers. For those that may want to check it out, Death Wish is best reserved for cable TV viewing.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Thanks for the review!

It's funny... the critics aren't giving this movie very high ratings but audiences are. For example it scored 17% on Rotten Tomatoes... but 77% of the audience liked it. It's got 4.5/5 stars over on iTunes.

I bought it... watched it... and loved it. I haven't seen the original (which is why a lot of the critics gave this the thumbs down, calling it a poor "reboot") but I plan to see it the 1974 Bronson version now.

As for PQ... it looked great on the OLED.

I thought the movie was great... and I reminded the girlfriend afterwards that it's for reasons depicted in the movie that I am a gun owner and have one in the house for home protection.

Cheers!
Ralph Potts and SuperFist like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #3 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Thanks for the review!

It's funny... the critics aren't giving this movie very high ratings but audiences are. For example it scored 17% on Rotten Tomatoes... but 77% of the audience liked it. It's got 4.5/5 stars over on iTunes.

I bought it... watched it... and loved it. I haven't seen the original (which is why a lot of the critics gave this the thumbs down, calling it a poor "reboot") but I plan to see it the 1974 Bronson version now.

I thought the movie was great... and I reminded the girlfriend afterwards that it's for reasons depicted in the movie that I am a gun owner and have one in the house for home protection.

Cheers!

Greetings,

Thanks Travis. I am glad you enjoyed it and appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
go figure, another lazy rehash and recycle of an old movie. When will Hollywood stop with this crap and have more originality ?

thanks Ralph, for taking one for the team
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
I enjoyed the movie. Not amazing but I do think it's one of Bruce Willis's better movies recently. Not sure yet whether I want to buy it or not, but I do think I would enjoy rewatching it, so maybe.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #6 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
go figure, another lazy rehash and recycle of an old movie. When will Hollywood stop with this crap and have more originality ?

thanks Ralph, for taking one for the team
Go to art house, go to independent films, lots of original material to be had. BUT PEOPLE DON'T GO . Trash sells, the public has spoken.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #7 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Go to art house, go to independent films, lots of original material to be had. BUT PEOPLE DON'T GO . Trash sells, the public has spoken.
Well, if there was more original bigger budget stuff that might be different. Independent movies are never going to have a big enough audience to affect much of Hollywood.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #8 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Thanks for the review!

Cheers!
Between Eli Roth and Bruce Willis you have fan bases. If the original 'Death Wish' was made today RT critics would rip it to shreds, some older movies get nostalgia passes from critics they don't deserve. (NOTE: Ralph I'm not lumping you in with those other critics, you tend to be straightforward and consistent, don't pad your reviews and respect your readers. As always thanks for the review )
TravisPNW and Ralph Potts like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #9 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 2541
Bruce Willis hasn't "acted" in a movie in at least 10 years. He shows up, monotones a few lines and collects a huge paycheck. Keanu Reeves has ten times the acting range as today's version of Bruce Willis. I gave up his crap a long time ago. A shame really. He was pretty good when he cared.
Ralph Potts and SuperFist like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #10 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 5433
Yeah, I have to admit... I enjoyed this one, too. Even with Bruce's phoned in performance, I was quite entertained.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3288
I was pump to see this one, unfortunately, after reading this review.
I am not so sure, but more likely will buy-it.

No 4K/UHD and 7.1 sound treatments, and Ralph review are always spot on, when it come to Sound and Video.
And I also respect His opinion of the movie it-self, even if sometime, I prefer pop corn type movies over a big story.

Since, I will more likely get-it, I will post my opinion and mini review, once I watch-it.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-08-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-08-2018, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I just watched this with my girl. She isnt a movie person but got her to watch it with me somehow. She loved it as did l. Neither of us have seen the original. It's on a short list to watch now. Glad I got this movie. Just wish it was in 4k hdr and atmos.
darthray and TravisPNW like this.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-09-2018, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Yeah liked it too, not so much for it's brilliance but for it's simple idea of the fact that the police just can't and won't protect you in the moment of crisis, and the timing of this couldn't be better. Of course this is why the "critics" hate it so much too and some even admitted to that fact...
TravisPNW and darthray like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #14 of 22 Old 06-09-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Given Eli Roth's resume, I was surprised that this movie was even slightly more than an excuse for some gruesome revenge scenes... but it was actually somewhat thought-provoking at times.

Did Willis really "just phone this in?" Or, did he portray Dr. Kersey in a particular way with specific purpose? I think the latter. Of course, I am a fan of his, which is why I bothered to watch this movie, so take my conclusion with appropriately-sized grain of salt.
morphinapg likes this.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-12-2018, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I really enjoyed this movie. This is one of Bruce Willis best movies in while. I just think its releases was bad timing for this climate we are living in. Why no 4k release is the question? If your on the fence about watching this one. It's adleast worth a redbox watch.🙂👍👍👍&#x1f44d ;. Can we get dirty dozen remake now???😂😂😂😭&#x1f923 ;😭
darthray likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I found this movie entertaining and worth a rental via iTunes, but not worth purchasing, IMHO. This is Bruce's better performance in a long while, and that's still a scary thought. Ice Cream anyone???

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
darthray likes this.

Last edited by Azekecse; 06-13-2018 at 06:12 AM.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I rented this from Netflix. I had been putting off watching it based on reviews but discovered I really enjoyed the film. I was entertained throughout but must watch the original. I enjoyed the surround sound even though it was 5.1. I wonder why no 4K UHD Blu-Ray release? I will definitely purchase this movie.
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-22-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

From reading the last 3 posts.

Sound like, I will also enjoy this one afterall
And like many here, I think it is too bad, not having an 7.1 or Atmos/DTS:X sound track, and a 4K transfer

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-22-2018 at 06:28 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-29-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally watch this one.

I end up liking-it, a little bit slow to begin, but once going, it was a fun ride.
Bruce Willis, still have it for those type of movies
But an actor of His caliber, do deserve better movies to make.
That said, according to numbers of B movies He make lately, maybe those are the ones. He enjoy to make.

The picture wasn't bad at all, my first BD, since I got my 4K set-up going about 6 weeks ago.
Was very please with one, even with some grain at some scene.

Was worth watching.

Ray
powertoburn likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 07-30-2018 at 06:32 PM.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-02-2018, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 104
after seeing ComedyCentral Roast of the man, I felt compelled to give this one a watch...I'm not disappointed to report that I agree with Ralph ONE HUNDRED, lol I like Bruce Willis' "acting" much better if he'd just stick to "quirkier" movies like the RED franchise nowadays.
tr4a and Ralph Potts like this.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
post #21 of 22 Old 09-03-2018, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Thanks for the review!

Good first half, faltering middle, genera change second half.

I think I laughed at a few implausible scenes. I kept expecting the Dr. to get shot or caught. I think we were supposed to assume that the police were "looking the other way" concerning the Dr. off shift escapades. All in all not bad but certainly not good, I'm not sorry I watched it. Good A/V quality.

Cheers,
Ralph Potts and robsis like this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #22 of 22 Old 09-04-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 646
The problem with Bruce Willis is that is so good at playing the "cool, collected, could-kill-you-at-any-time, bald-badass-that-is-also-a-dad" that that's all he can get. Of course, the other problem is that he is able to land that role so well that he does it in 2-4 movies per year! I'd like to see this one, but I'm going to wait until it's "free" on Netflix or Amazon.
Ralph Potts and robsis like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page